Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling punches & arrows?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
So I've found I'm occasionally doing too much damage to people I'd like to capture.
Stupid bone lacing and bows are going right through people. (Sixth world problems, am I right?)
So...can you reduce the damage done by strength-based attacks?
I know you can choose to do stun rather than physical damage, but can you dial it back so you scratch or damage someone enough to drug them, but not take full damage?
ShadowDragon8685
If you're drugging people with a bow or your fists, you're doing it wrong. I'd suggest you look into one of the available remote injection options for ranged injection, and enquire as to getting yourself a hypospray for melee drugging.
yesferatu
Different problems, same question. Sometimes I'd like to show strength or take someone captive, but my skills/strength are potentially deadly. Is there a way to hit somebody, but not do full damage?
If some ganger mouths off, I'd like to hit him - but split him in half.
SpellBinder
Could do called shots instead, like intentionally aiming for the meat of the upper arm where the arrow might be more likely to stick in the target instead of blast through him like a cannon shot.

Or maybe just an Intimidation (Physical) test? Yeah, I know that doesn't work well for most orks & trolls and the like.

Otherwise I honestly don't know a mechanic that could work. Maybe just a declared "I just want to bitch slap him and not break his jaw." before the blow, and the attack does half normal Stun damage just because you said you wanted to pull your punch.
Medicineman
So...can you reduce the damage done by strength-based attacks?
Who's there to prevent You from declaring:
"I Attack him with STR x only !" (thus doing less damage)

HokaHey
Medicineman
Umidori
Shock Gloves
Touch Attack: DMSO Slap Patch + Drug of Choice + Called Shot To Bypass Armor
Called Shot To Disarm
Subdual Combat (deals a fixed amount of stun damage: Strength unmodified by net hits)
Adept Power: Nerve Strike
Martial Art Maneuver: Break Weapon
Martial Art Maneuver: Disarm
Martial Art Maneuver: Disorient
Martial Art Maneuver: Herding
Martial Art Maneuver: Sweep
Martial Art Maneuver: Throw

Just off the top of my head. There are probably others.

~Umi
DMiller
By RAW I am not aware of any rules about pulling your punches. Two House Rules I might recommend:
1- Declare how much strength you are putting behind the punch (like Medicineman's comment above)
2- Declare how many hits you are willing to take/use. (this demonstrates a skilled fighter actually pulling his punch). With this option I would not allow you to declare your net hits, because with pulling your punch when you are unaware of the defensive capability of your opponent means you could possibly miss.

just my 2¥
-D
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Mar 4 2013, 04:22 AM) *
Different problems, same question. Sometimes I'd like to show strength or take someone captive, but my skills/strength are potentially deadly. Is there a way to hit somebody, but not do full damage?
If some ganger mouths off, I'd like to hit him - but split him in half.

Grapple! (SR4a p161 'Subduing (melee only)') Does no damage, but will prevent that mouthy ass hat from thinking he can do jack to you.
Medicineman
QUOTE (DMiller @ Mar 4 2013, 02:04 AM) *
By RAW I am not aware of any rules about pulling your punches. Two House Rules I might recommend:
1- Declare how much strength you are putting behind the punch (like Medicineman's comment above)
2- Declare how many hits you are willing to take/use. (this demonstrates a skilled fighter actually pulling his punch). With this option I would not allow you to declare your net hits, because with pulling your punch when you are unaware of the defensive capability of your opponent means you could possibly miss.

just my 2¥
-D

I don't consider # 1 a house rule but simply/merely an application of standard rpgaming

with a standard Dance
Medicineman
DMiller
Medicineman,

I can see that, however since it's not spelled out in the rules it's either a house rule, or at least a local clarification of the rules.

#2 could be applied to any attack test, someone with enough skill should be able to try to not hurt someone too badly on an attack even a fire arms or weapon attack.

Again my 2¥
-D
Medicineman
smile.gif
I only consider changing Rules or adding previously non existent Rules as "Houserules"
merely applying sth that hasn't been mentioned before is not a Houserule ImO

with a Housedance
Medicineman
Summerstorm
In my group i allow everybody to limit his own net-hits for a -2 dice modifier. (It's hard to fight someone and NOT wanting to kill him *g*, control always comes at a cost)
I allow this for pretty much everything; It's especially useful for combat castings, since i am running with the optional +Nethits to drain for direct combat spells.
Mach_Ten
I'd argue that as all attacks have a fixed damage value

using the arrow as an example, how do you know if using the full draw or not is going to penetrate the victims defences ?
and an arrow on half draw is probably not going to have the power behind it to reach/penetrate anything at all.
(it just seems a bit meta gaming to subtract an exact amount of strength in order to do less damage)

the only possible way to limit the damage would be to attempt to 'limit' the net hits

and the only way to do this according to RAW is by called shots and other negative modifiers, not by player choice.

but there's nothing to say you can't called shot to a part of the body ? thus getting less DP less net hits and thus less damage (to a minimum of your DV)

or use equipment that lowers the DV or does stun instead

yesferatu
Right.
There isn't anything in the RAW that covers it.
I have been in a number of situations where I just wanted to wound a target and I've ended up killing them.
I could reduce the net hits or the dicepool through called shots, but I'd still like to hit - and I need to do at least some damage for injection arrows to work. What's a hugely augmented metahuman to do?
Kiirnodel
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Mar 4 2013, 12:03 PM) *
In my group i allow everybody to limit his own net-hits for a -2 dice modifier. (It's hard to fight someone and NOT wanting to kill him *g*, control always comes at a cost)
I allow this for pretty much everything; It's especially useful for combat castings, since i am running with the optional +Nethits to drain for direct combat spells.

Actually, the section for the direct combat spells words it a bit differently. It says for each net hit used to increase damage. My group (when we use it), reads that as meaning that a mage can always choose not to channel that increased energy to avoid the extra drain.
BishopMcQ
Called shot to knockdown for the backhand to the mouthy ganger.

Called shot special effect -- base damage of the weapon, and net hits add to the knockdown power, reduce speed etc. (shooting in the kneecaps)
Draco18s
My group had this problem once, so we ended up beating a hobo unconscious with his own hobo bag.
(By giving a non-lethal weapon to the character who could use it, but had bone lacing)
Umidori
I'll say it again - Slap Patches.

Forget injection vector drugs. Slap Patchs require a touch attack to an area not protected by armor, and convert ANY drug to contact vector. Since you're already good with unarmed, it synergizes well.

~Umi
Sir_Psycho
Isn't there already gel-heads and stick'n'shock heads for arrows already? What kind of beast is this that stages a gel-head into physical overflow?
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 4 2013, 01:10 PM) *
My group had this problem once, so we ended up beating a hobo unconscious with his own hobo bag.
(By giving a non-lethal weapon to the character who could use it, but had bone lacing)

What's the damage code on a laden bindle stick, anyway?
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Mar 4 2013, 10:10 PM) *
Isn't there already gel-heads and stick'n'shock heads for arrows already? What kind of beast is this that stages a gel-head into physical overflow?

Stick-n-shock yes, gel-heads no. Unless you're thinking of hammerheads for arrows.

And even if firing hammerhead arrows, I'd wager even money that a well built trollbow will still cause Physical damage.
Sir_Psycho
Hammeheads, that's the one. Hey, you could always shoot with your eyes closed for a -6 modifier. That should keep the net successes down.
DMiller
Yes and using blind fire will switch you from AGI to INT. With a troll bow, I'm sure that will be quite a hit to the dice pool.

-D
Umidori
There's not even really a need to make your archer a troll anymore, to be honest. With capped bow ratings, an Ork is cheaper and more efficient, and even a human can shoot out max damage arrows if you want.

~Umi
Draco18s
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 5 2013, 12:28 AM) *
What's the damage code on a laden bindle stick, anyway?

I don't remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012