Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fox Shapeshifter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sinistra
This is a continuation off of my other Thread talking about flaws. After spending some time going over attributes, skills, spells, and positive qualities I have come to an impasse in my own abilities.

I was making a Fox Shapeshifter Mystic Adept (Druid was Tradition I had gone with), with a focus on Colder magic.

Now, my access to books has been S4A(20th Edition Book), Runners Companion, Running Wild, Street Magic, Augmentation, Arsenal, Unwired, and Way of The Adept.

For this exercise, I am going to to with, assume I have 120 Karma and 150K Nuyen to spend after but the initial 400 BP build will have to be seen by the GM.

Another Rule, Mystic Adepts work...differently. You still do the normal division between Magician and Adept, but for the Magician Side the amount you put in limits your force, so a Magician 2, Adept 3 would be limited to 4 force max, but I use full magic for Casting tests. (We have weaker spells, but not weaker dice pools.)

Aluki
Metatype (50) + Attributes (180) + Magic (40)
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities
[ Spoiler ]

Spells: (9)
[ Spoiler ]

This leaves me with 131 BP, and my plan was she would be fairly low tech (Using a weapon focus as her weapon). I am just not sure where to go with the rest of the points other than I have not spent any on Skills or Nuyen. Even though I have some Nuyen to spend after they will probably be for 1-2 sustaining Foci.
Sinistra
Little sad to see no replies yet. Though I am still tinkering on my end at least
FuelDrop
I'm going to suggest that you'll need a few more spells. Are you planning on driving a vehicle or are you going to go all superman and use levitate to fly everywhere?
Sinistra
Probably pick up Levitate...that spell is almost too good not to have.

The other option is Taxi's/Meet ups (The group tends to meet at a place and we take 1-2 vehicles into the mission zone owned by others. I uhhh...died on my last character which is why this one is being made)
thorya
I would recommend increasing charisma and logic to 2, that way you can at least default on the skills associated with them and with some modifiers have a chance of maybe succeeding. I get why you want them low thematically for this character, but 2 is still below average. (20 BP)

You'll also want spellcasting 4 (16 BP), ask your GM if you can take a specialization in cold spells if that's what you want to focus on, and counterspelling 4 (16 BP).

That's a total of 52 BP right there. You'll probably want a couple other skills. Infiltration, because foxes are stealthy. Perception. Survival. Some social skills, even if just a few ranks in Con and Etiquette. Once you've put the points into skills, you'll quickly find that your BP is used up.
Stingray
..as for as Armor goes, your Body limit lot of choices. In the other forum there is a conversations
about does Armor Modifications stack?, but that is between you and GM.

Goggles w/ visual modifications are also good idea for magically active person..

Active Skill Groups are good also, when points are limited..

buying the at least light pistol for ranged weapon..
CanRay
I have only one thing to say about this...
Sinistra
QUOTE (Stingray @ May 14 2013, 10:59 AM) *
..as for as Armor goes, your Body limit lot of choices. In the other forum there is a conversations
about does Armor Modifications stack?, but that is between you and GM.

Goggles w/ visual modifications are also good idea for magically active person..

Active Skill Groups are good also, when points are limited..

buying the at least light pistol for ranged weapon..

From what I know about Armor Mods with our GM is no they probably would not stack though no one has tried. He has even removed form Fit from the game so there is some...limits. Really, I am probably just going to go with the Avoidance method since I am not going to be focused on Spell Combat but Melee/maybe decent with a pistol.

Also, I am amused CanRay, I have not heard that song in a while either.
CanRay
QUOTE (Sinistra @ May 14 2013, 02:15 PM) *
Also, I am amused CanRay, I have not heard that song in a while either.
At least you've heard it. I have to educate a 20-year old on things!

What are they teaching kids today???
Sinistra
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 14 2013, 10:33 PM) *
At least you've heard it. I have to educate a 20-year old on things!

What are they teaching kids today???

I'm 22 and I have heard Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and many others. People my age these days disappoint me
Sinistra
So, for Spells I am going with: Alter Temperature [SM 171, I am going to go review this spell and see why I choose it the first time, Elemental Aura (Cold) [If you do not know this spell, look it up SM 173], Probably Levitate because that spell us just....ugh so good, and some sort of combat spell just to have a ranged spell beyond using levitate to pelt people with objects.

The only positive quality I have is Mystic Adept
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sinistra @ May 13 2013, 07:21 PM) *
Another Rule, Mystic Adepts work...differently. You still do the normal division between Magician and Adept, but for the Magician Side the amount you put in limits your force, so a Magician 2, Adept 3 would be limited to 4 force max, but I use full magic for Casting tests. (We have weaker spells, but not weaker dice pools.)

Other way around.

"Every point of Magic invested in mana-based abilities grants the character one point to use with Magic-based skills."
Example
"Roxanne is a mystic adept [...] Her other 3 points of Magic are dedicated to Magic skills. When using [...] Spellcasting [...], she will be able to allocate 3 dice for Magic [...] For all other uses, her Magic attribute coutns at its full value [...]."

Core boob on Mystic Adepts. I pulled the text from the Not-4A pdf (4A takes forever to load on my laptop) but I know it hasn't changed.
Sinistra
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 15 2013, 04:12 AM) *
Other way around.

"Every point of Magic invested in mana-based abilities grants the character one point to use with Magic-based skills."
Example
"Roxanne is a mystic adept [...] Her other 3 points of Magic are dedicated to Magic skills. When using [...] Spellcasting [...], she will be able to allocate 3 dice for Magic [...] For all other uses, her Magic attribute coutns at its full value [...]."

Core boob on Mystic Adepts. I pulled the text from the Not-4A pdf (4A takes forever to load on my laptop) but I know it hasn't changed.

I was meaning we house ruled it to work that way. I know exactly how they work normally.
Sinistra
QUOTE (thorya @ May 14 2013, 08:06 AM) *
I would recommend increasing charisma and logic to 2, that way you can at least default on the skills associated with them and with some modifiers have a chance of maybe succeeding. I get why you want them low thematically for this character, but 2 is still below average. (20 BP)

You'll also want spellcasting 4 (16 BP), ask your GM if you can take a specialization in cold spells if that's what you want to focus on, and counterspelling 4 (16 BP).

That's a total of 52 BP right there. You'll probably want a couple other skills. Infiltration, because foxes are stealthy. Perception. Survival. Some social skills, even if just a few ranks in Con and Etiquette. Once you've put the points into skills, you'll quickly find that your BP is used up.

Oh I know it will dry up quickly, that is my problem. Being able to put the skills at the levels I would like, which is why I had tried shaving some BP from my Attributes and I was just going to raise them later with Karma. >.>
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sinistra @ May 14 2013, 10:14 PM) *
I was meaning we house ruled it to work that way. I know exactly how they work normally.

Gotcha.
Thanee
Any specific reason why you want to make a Fox Shapeshifter (or Shapeshifter in general)?

Bye
Thanee
Ryu
If you want to play a Fox shifter, I suggest finding a way that plays to the special quirks and advantages of that option. Someone made you drop 50 BP for that.

Playing a shaman of the fox totem with the Shapechange spell, a Sustaining Focus(Manipulation) and some weird fox fixation will work better (mechanically) and still ensure plenty of comedy. Bonus points for having a fox shifter Dependent to care for.

The lack of initial spells can be fixed with your 120 karma alotment either way while leaving leftovers for broadening the skillset.

INT 6 is nice, while REA 6 is BP:karma-efficient but does little for this build. Body 3 (no armor in fox form unless you use the spell and loose stealth) says "keep out of combat, run". CHA 5 / REA 2 at the other extreme lets you have four more bound spirits and some ability to deal with the consequences of being different.

Please develop an idea for that initial skillset and what you want to do with that 120 karma /150kĄ.
Freya
Now that I've stopped giggling over Draco's "core boob" typo (yes, I'm mentally twelve)...

QUOTE (thorya @ May 14 2013, 12:06 AM) *

Seconded. I also get the theme of "not good with people and not much of a book-learner because she didn't grow up in metahuman society", but she still has to be able to function in metahuman society, even if she's not particularly good at it. Having a CHA of 1 and not being able to default on any skills means she'd basically have people walk all over her, which I don't think is what you had in mind. Likewise, even if she's a druid rather than a hermetic, LOG 1 is going to mean she'll have trouble figuring out how to do stuff on her own without step-by-step instructions, which is going to (thematically) make it hard to learn spells and any kind of druidic ritual. If you want to increase those with Karma instead of BP that's fine, but I'd very strongly suggest doing it before the beginning of play, or it's not going to make much sense.

QUOTE (Ryu @ May 15 2013, 10:59 AM) *
If you want to play a Fox shifter, I suggest finding a way that plays to the special quirks and advantages of that option. Someone made you drop 50 BP for that.

Playing a shaman of the fox totem with the Shapechange spell, a Sustaining Focus(Manipulation) and some weird fox fixation will work better (mechanically) and still ensure plenty of comedy. Bonus points for having a fox shifter Dependent to care for.

Also seconding this. I get the character concept, but why do you want to play a fox shifter specifically? What do you get out of playing a fox shifter that you wouldn't get out of playing the shapechanged Fox shaman that Ryu suggested (or a druid version of that if it fits the stats better)? If you want to play up the "I'm not human" angle you could even attach some kind of SURGE expression to that. I guess my point is that unless what you're trying to get out of the character is specifically that she's a fox shifter (or other kind of shifter, or even "because alternate character concepts are cool"), forcing her into being a fox shifter because that's what you started with and then having to work around that doesn't make much sense.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Freya @ May 15 2013, 09:37 PM) *
Now that I've stopped giggling over Draco's "core boob" typo (yes, I'm mentally twelve)...

We all are.
Never heard the greatest oxymoron ever?

"Grown Man."

nyahnyah.gif
Thanee
Topic closed, because it is a duplicate. No merging, because that would only make things confusing.

Please continue any discussion here.

Bye
Thanee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012