Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Quickstart Rules are on drivethruRPG
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tycho
here you go

PS: oh, it's German... grinbig.gif
apple
Funny thing: either there is a major difference between the German or English rules or between the quit starter rules and the final rules, but mages do only net hits as damage for their spells now. Thats true balancing ...

SYL

apple
And some quick infos from these rules

- Combat spell damage = net hits, but no drain

- You fight with markers in the matrix 1-3 marks are necessary for actions, 4 marks is the former admin mode. ((MARKs – Matrix Authentication Recognition
Keys)). Marks seem to the threshhold.

- Matrix defense is now willpower + intuition (delete marks) or

- You use a fork programm to hack two devices at the same time. You roll logic + hacking + bonus dices against the threshold of the item => each net hit is a mark => enough mark = the matrix target behave as you like, but you have to roll for every action again (in the matrix example the hacker tries to control two gun turrents at the same time and the gun turrets resist with their device rating

- Orks are now humans or humans are now orks (or someone forgot to swap the pics (or the reader forget to read the flaws)).

- Standard Mc Hughes have automatic gun turrets installed inside their shops (Food Fight into adventure is back).

- Some weapon damage values

Automatic Pistol 6P, accuracy 5+2
Taser: 9S, accuracy 5
Hunting Rifle: 11P, accuracy 7
MPi 7P, accuracy 4+2
Heavy Pistol 8P, accuracy 5+2
Melee Combat: 8S
Sword 10P

- Some armor values (seems to be 50% more armor)
12 armor jacked
9 cham suit
9 coat

- There are a lot of items which give bonus dices (lenses, mnemo, zerebral booster

- Standard dice pools of the quick starter chars are between 5 and 10 (attribute + skill)

the shaman has the advantage "mage (shamanistic tradition)

- Limits
Adept limits: body 6, mental 5, social 5
Hacker limits: body 5. mental 7, social 5
Street Sam: body 8, mental 5, social 4
Shaman: body 5, mental 5, social 7

- weapons have two ranges now, long and short. The reason could be the tuned down complexity of the QSR, or perhaps because the devs feel that the dark and gritty feeling needs close combat

- close combat seem to be upgraded, more damage (no more strength / 2, but simply strength as base damage), no more attribute + skill vs attribute + skill + skill, it follows the standard attack roles

SYL
Larsine
QUOTE (apple @ May 29 2013, 11:03 AM) *
Adept limits: boy 6

Overshare. I did not need to know that rotate.gif
Oracle
According to page 12 of the German quickstart rules, the number of initiative passes a character gets is variable again. -.-
apple
That was already known two or three blogs ago. wink.gif

SYL
Oracle
I shouldn't have stopped reading them, I guess.
Stahlseele
Much Text is missing.
For example, half of the Text in the Hacker Vrsus Old Maglock is missing for me.
And the first 2 lines in the description of the pre made characters are missing too.
And nothing at all about how Limits work. Just that a Baseballbat has a Limit of 4.
And Guns have Limits of 5(7) without and (with) smartlink with nothing about how
Laserpointers and other stuff will interact with these numbers at all . .
apple
There are no laser pointer in the preview ...
Limits are explained on page 9 and 10
There is no missing text.
I would suggest that you download it again

SYL
Oracle
Apperently Shadowrunners are willing to do runs against the mob for 500 nuyen.gif now.
Stahlseele
@Apple:
Page 9: Limits exist and apply in Tests of Attribute+Skill, and in a comparing test, the limits apply to both sides.
Nowhere does it say how you get to calculate how big the limits are, as far as i can tell.

And yes, in the DriveThrough version, text is indeed missing for me.
In the Pegasus Version it ain't missing at all anymore.
apple
I have the DT Version and there is no tesxt missing (just compared it with the Pegaus vesion, it´s all the same).

And yes, it´s not explained how to calculate the limits. These are quick starter rules, you do not generate new characters, you use the archetypes (where the limits are already written down on the character sheet) and the given NPCs from food fight.
bannockburn
The human adept is an ork poser.
Look at her flaws smile.gif
RHat
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 29 2013, 03:54 AM) *
@Apple:
Page 9: Limits exist and apply in Tests of Attribute+Skill, and in a comparing test, the limits apply to both sides.
Nowhere does it say how you get to calculate how big the limits are, as far as i can tell.

And yes, in the DriveThrough version, text is indeed missing for me.
In the Pegasus Version it ain't missing at all anymore.

It's previously been stated that you calculate inherent limits based on aspects of the character.
apple
I am wondering why there are no english QSR?

SYL
Stahlseele
And on which aspects?
It's kinda like:
"It's previously been stated that you calculate miles per gallon on aspects of the car"
without telling anybody wether it's PS, wheel-size, lift, fuel type, weight, size of the gas tank or airresistance.
apple
Your attributes ... as stated in previous blogs. And since you do not created new characters there is no need for the exact formula (since all the limits are already noted down for the NPCs). But you can check the values yourself and try to find out the formula.

SYL
RHat
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 29 2013, 04:33 AM) *
And on which aspects?
It's kinda like:
"It's previously been stated that you calculate miles per gallon on aspects of the car"
without telling anybody wether it's PS, wheel-size, lift, fuel type, weight, size of the gas tank or airresistance.

Known factors are Attributes and Essence.
Tycho
as I wrote in the other thread:

Physical Limit: (Bod+Str+Agi)/2
Mental Limit: (Int+Log+Wil)/2
Social Limit: ? (maybe Cha+Cha+Ess)/2?

that would be my best guess

but I have to say, if a Limit of 5 is the norm, 7-8 is good and 14 would be the max (9+9+9)/2 = 14. I don't see any sence in these outside of cutting of really lucky rolls were your Limit takes effect. In most tests you will seldomly roll more than 5 hits...
RHat
Well, supposedly the Street Sam from SR4A would have a Phys-Limit of 10 (based on the PAX-East demo reports), which works with that math if we assume it rounds up...

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Intuition is gonna feed into the Social limit though - in part because otherwise it means every Face is gonna be an Elf.
hermit
Funny thing: either there is a major difference between the German or English rules or between the quit starter rules and the final rules, but mages do only net hits as damage for their spells now. Thats true balancing ...

As Tigger stated on the Pegasus forums, they're translating and errating the English rules parallel to development of the same.

Standard Mc Hughes have automatic gun turrets installed inside their shops

McHugh's has been a fortress ever since NAGRL.

Hacker limits: body 5. mental 7, social 5

To be precise, the Mental limit is noted as 6(7), indicating Limits can be augmented in some way.

They are out, in that they are used for demos on American conventions, just not available on the internet. Seems the Germans don't play their cards quite so close to their chest.
Larsine
QUOTE (hermit @ May 29 2013, 01:24 PM) *
As Tigger stated on the Pegasus forums, they're translating and errating the English rules parallel to development of the same.

To be precise, the Mental limit is noted as 6(7), indicating Limits can be augmented in some way.

They are out, in that they are used for demos on American conventions, just not available on the internet. Seems the Germans don't play their cards quite so close to their chest.

English QSR should be available in print on June 15th. My FLGS has promised to keep a copy for me, even if I don't make it into the shop that day.

Source: http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2013/03/12...e-rpg-day-2013/
apple
QUOTE (hermit @ May 29 2013, 06:24 AM) *

Yes, and since thats its pretty strange in the world of SR, considering it´s not Cyberpunk 2020. But well, Food fight SR1 ...

SYL
Bull
QUOTE (apple @ May 29 2013, 06:32 AM) *

SYL

Last year a new set of Quick Start Rules were developed and released for Free RPG Day. The PDF was released shortly after it.

I know a new one was developed for this year, and the Free RPG day lists it as a flip book along with the Battletech Quickstart, same as last years. Beyond that though, I have no idea what the release plan is, or if it's the same as the German version.

However, I will say... Ork Poser Adept is hilarious smile.gif

Bull
thorya
Skills go to 12 now right? How come none of the example characters have any skills above 4? I don't expect them to be min-maxed, but no skills in the upper half range of skills? Seems weird.
Blade
I think the point of having skills go as high as 12 is to let all starting characters have room for improvement. It's not surprising starting characters aren't supposed to have such high skills.
CeeJay
And we don't know how the character geenration system is working in detail yet (or do we?). So, it may be that these characters are what you typically get out of a SR5 starting character... but the pre-build characters have always kinda sucked, so I wouldn't take these as prime examples of SR5 starting characters.

-CJ
Blade
Oh yeah, we should expect some players coming up with character with pools of 20 and limits of 12 for their main skill a few days after the release of the core book.
And a few years later, when all books have been released, any starting character will be expected to have at least 15 in all his pools, 30 in his best pools, and limits will be something that gimps NPCs.

wink.gif
Bigity
QUOTE (Oracle @ May 29 2013, 04:50 AM) *
Apperently Shadowrunners are willing to do runs against the mob for 500 nuyen.gif now.

Ugh. That's always been one of my big beefs. If you are a street sam sporting hundreds of thousands or more nuyen's worth of gear/ware, WTF would you work for peanuts.
Bull
Once upon a time, it was standard ops for character to have a backstory that explained where their 'ware came from. Sometimes it was payment for a run from a desperate fixer or johnson, sometimes it was stolen 'ware, and often they were ex-corp or ex-military who walked off with their hardware still attached.

Started gear does not necessarily represent "Stuff I saved up and bought". It represents the things you've somehow accumulated by hook or by crook prior to the game starting.
Opti
QUOTE (Bull @ May 29 2013, 08:02 AM) *
Once upon a time, it was standard ops for character to have a backstory that explained where their 'ware came from. Sometimes it was payment for a run from a desperate fixer or johnson, sometimes it was stolen 'ware, and often they were ex-corp or ex-military who walked off with their hardware still attached.

Started gear does not necessarily represent "Stuff I saved up and bought". It represents the things you've somehow accumulated by hook or by crook prior to the game starting.

This.
Seerow
QUOTE (Bull @ May 29 2013, 03:02 PM) *

And if you're making 500 nuyen on a typical run, how the hell are you ever supposed to upgrade beyond what you start with at character generation?
Stahlseele
500 a run isn't even enough to cover ammo cost if you're unlucky . .
Seerow
Seriously, 1500-2000 is pretty much what I consider the low end of what a run is worth, just because going much lower than that your characters are literally putting all of their money into little things like ammo and lifestyle, never able to save up anything at all for things like the new gun they want, some better armor, improved cyber, etc. Nevermind that until you get to the 10-20k range, going out and stealing cars, and just generally making up your own runs is much more profitable than taking a job from someone else, and typically easier than your usual run.
CanRay
QUOTE (Oracle @ May 29 2013, 04:50 AM) *
Yeah, but that's 500¥ in German ¥. wink.gif
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 29 2013, 03:37 PM) *
Yeah, but that's 500¥ in German ¥. wink.gif

Yeah, the German Mob is much more likely to ask you nicely to stop doing what you are doing and go home, compared to say, the russians

so the risk/reward metric is skewed.

I fully expect the English (UK) edition rules to be based in Manchester and reward about a million nuyen per run, if you live
Bull
I made no comment about the run reward. I don't speak German, so I haven't really looked at it beyond flipping through to look at the layout.
hermit
QUOTE (apple)
Yes, and since thats its pretty strange in the world of SR, considering it´s not Cyberpunk 2020. But well, Food fight SR1 ...

Actually, safe family dining probably has a lot of appeal in such a high violence world. It never seemed odd to me. I mean, just think of the 50s. Thrill gangers rampaging into the City's best Jazz club for the lulz (One Stage Before)! Gangers armed with tracked vehicles fighting it out in the streets (Wolf&Raven)! Annual Night of Rage reenactments! (Sprawl Sites, 2E)! Corporate-sponsored mercenaries/criminals run rampage, and corporate employees often face violent job changes (the game's premise)! Trolls with assault cannons robbing a Transrapid train (Harlequin)! The supermarket wars (Germany Sourcebook)! Murder TV (Murder TV)! And even today, elections without several bombs going off and attempts to murder voters are apparently unthinkable (Dirty Tricks, Missions Season 4). Shadowrun is in a perpetual state of Pakistan. And yes, in Pakistan, fast food restaurants DO have armed guards and metal detectors.

QUOTE (Bull)
Once upon a time, it was standard ops for character to have a backstory that explained where their 'ware came from.

Ah, the good old pre-MMORPG days.

QUOTE (Seerow)
And if you're making 500 nuyen on a typical run, how the hell are you ever supposed to upgrade beyond what you start with at character generation?

Where do you get that this is a typical run? It is a favor for a mutual connection, actually - you also get free services from the Johnson,a nd it is explicitly mentioned that he can't pay much, too. It is hooding. Hooding pays shit, which is why it's not everybody's favourite job. I doubt this is the new standard payment. It pays reading a run before you complain about it.

Also, the run is set in Seattle, just to clear up any misconceptions.
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ May 29 2013, 10:43 AM) *
Actually, safe family dining probably has a lot of appeal in such a high violence world. It never seemed odd to me. I mean, just think of the 50s. Thrill gangers rampaging into the City's best Jazz club for the lulz (One Stage Before)! Gangers armed with tracked vehicles fighting it out in the streets (Wolf&Raven)! Annual Night of Rage reenactments! (Sprawl Sites, 2E)! Corporate-sponsored mercenaries/criminals run rampage, and corporate employees often face violent job changes (the game's premise)! And even today, elections without several bombs goingf off and attempts to murder voters are apparently unthinkable (Dirty Tricks, Missions Season 4). Shadowrun is in a perpetual state of Pakistan. And yes, in Pakistan, fast food restaurants DO have armed guards and metal detectors.
Great, now I'm homesick.
KarmaInferno
I really hope the final character sheet doesn't follow the layout they put in the German quickstart.

It violates so many design rules the graphic designer in me just cringes.

-k
hermit
Yeah, the layout's a bit confusing.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Larsine @ May 29 2013, 06:44 AM) *
English QSR should be available in print on June 15th. My FLGS has promised to keep a copy for me, even if I don't make it into the shop that day.

Source: http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2013/03/12...e-rpg-day-2013/

Yeah, that'll be too late for Origins, though. frown.gif

-k
Patrick Goodman
I'm really trying to get them to release the PDF sooner. I should probably ping someone about it now, in fact....
Oracle
They included a table in the Food Fight adventure to simulate the consequences of eating at Mc Hughes. Anyone who doesn't roll at least one success on a body test, suffers from food poisoning. Even with two successes there is a point of stun damage. Way too much slapstick for me.
apple
QUOTE (hermit @ May 29 2013, 10:43 AM) *

Oh, no one said anything against armed guards or scanners (btw, where are the cyberscanners?). Weapon turrets are something completely different, for a different world (like CP2020). All I am asking is for a little bit consistence. Nothing against weapon turrets in a dystopian, crime-ridden hyper-violent sixth world, but if weapon turrets are at McHughes, they should be standard in many other parts of the city (in fact they should be a pretty common sight with that warning at everyones door: http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays...ry_ahead_8.jpg) and nothing exotic- and not simply in converted SR1 rule introduction. Consistency is nothing to be afraid of ... wink.gif

SYL
Bull
Actually, if you go back and read some of the fiction from SR1, there were a few mentions about how one of McHugh's selling points was it's extreme security.

Shadowrun is supposed to be very dystopic. It got severely dialed back at the tail end of SR3 and in SR4 though, and one of our design goals in SR5 was to start reinforcing that in the world again.
Critias
QUOTE (apple @ May 29 2013, 11:57 AM) *
Oh, no one said anything against armed guards or scanners (btw, where are the cyberscanners?). Weapon turrets are something completely different, for a different world (like CP2020). All I am asking is for a little bit consistence. Nothing against weapon turrets in a dystopian, crime-ridden hyper-violent sixth world, but if weapon turrets are at McHughes, they should be standard in many other parts of the city (in fact they should be a pretty common sight with that warning at everyones door: http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays...ry_ahead_8.jpg) and nothing exotic- and not simply in converted SR1 rule introduction. Consistency is nothing to be afraid of ... wink.gif

SYL

What makes you think they AREN'T standard in many other parts of the city? And it's not like these things are pop-up miniguns; they're pretty small, and could very easily be concealed all kinds of places.
Draco18s
QUOTE (thorya @ May 29 2013, 07:36 AM) *
Skills go to 12 now right? How come none of the example characters have any skills above 4? I don't expect them to be min-maxed, but no skills in the upper half range of skills? Seems weird.

As mentioned, but not explained in detail above, but starting chargen limits stayed the same. I.e. all 4 or lower except either two 5s or one 6.
hermit
Oh, no one said anything against armed guards or scanners (btw, where are the cyberscanners?). Weapon turrets are something completely different, for a different world (like CP2020).

Where's the huge difference between a gun turret and a guard, except that turrets are cheaper since SR4, and pilot software much better?
Bigity
Well, you'd think in a world where you can wave your commlink at something and hack it....but then again, a magician could wave a hand at a guard and control him about as easy.

Maybe they only fire gel rounds?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012