Full Version: Elemental Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Makki
Ice/Cold Armor
spiked Metal Armor or blunt Metal Armor
Fire Armor
Blast/Air Armor
Light Armor

I'm somehow missing the equivalent to Elemental Strike and Elemental Aura spell.

Version 2.0
[ Spoiler ]

Versions 1.1
[ Spoiler ]

Versions 1.0
[ Spoiler ]

Edit: updated with user suggestions
Stahlseele
i don't like magic.
i don't like adepts.
but still, no, no drain for this.
else elemental strike would need to create drain as well.
because the elemental strike is an offensive and not just defensive power.
i'd guess they'd need to learfn it for each elemental effect they want to use?
or is it supposed to be one time learning and adapting as needed?
if it's the latter, it needs to be more expensive in terms of power points.
Neraph
The second version is better, but instead of Magic rating damage I'd make it the Mystic Armor rating damage, since that's what it's functioning off of. Magic damage seems too good to me.
Raiden
I like the first one. But I think you should take out the damage from it and add instead a resistance based on the element used.ex. ice armor gives insulation magic. I suggest this mostly because ink it makes more sense and having it do magic damage per CT is a bit daunting in power for also netting armor.
Makki
keep in mind there is a (totally useless and overprized) power in Digital Grimoire called Elemental Resistance. It adds Mystic Armor's full rating against a chosen element.
I tried not to copy it or make it redundant.

But now, as I think about it, my Elemental Armor could be a rework of Elemental Resistance.

I incorporated your ideas in the first post. I'm still not sure about drain...
DMiller
I prefer version 1.1 option 1. I don't think that is replaces the Elemental Resistance power as your version is activated rather than always on and provides free armor. To that end, 0.5PP may be low (with no drain). I'd probably make it 1 PP, it is free armor after all, even if only for a limited duration. I'd also require that you could only take the elements that you have for your Elemental Strike power, further limiting this new power.

Just my 2¥
Seerow
It specifies that everyone and everything in contact with the adept take damage.

Does this mean an adept with Elemental Strike (prereq) plus this who attacks an opponent, makes that opponent first resist their unarmed damage (with elemental effect) followed by the armor damage (with elemental effect)?

If so, that's actually pretty powerful, and I'd agree that you should bump the price up some. If not, you may want to specify that the damage only takes effect when an enemy tries to touch you, and not vice verca.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Seerow @ Jun 12 2013, 01:58 AM) *
It specifies that everyone and everything in contact with the adept take damage.

Does this mean an adept with Elemental Strike (prereq) plus this who attacks an opponent, makes that opponent first resist their unarmed damage (with elemental effect) followed by the armor damage (with elemental effect)?

If so, that's actually pretty powerful, and I'd agree that you should bump the price up some. If not, you may want to specify that the damage only takes effect when an enemy tries to touch you, and not vice verca.

Also, how would the 'damages everyone and everything' bit affect, say, having fire armor up and trying to use a weapon? Would the armor surround the pistol (and what happens to a bullet exiting the armor)? Would a quarterstaff be entirely wreathed in the fire (flaming melee weapon!), or would the bit poking through the fire armor take damage and catch on fire? What happens if you have electrical armor on and touch a metal wall? Would the electricity zap the wall (for being in contact with the armor) and then conduct through it to you and electrocute you?
Makki
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 12 2013, 08:07 AM) *
Also, how would the 'damages everyone and everything' bit affect, say, having fire armor up and trying to use a weapon? Would the armor surround the pistol (and what happens to a bullet exiting the armor)? Would a quarterstaff be entirely wreathed in the fire (flaming melee weapon!), or would the bit poking through the fire armor take damage and catch on fire? What happens if you have electrical armor on and touch a metal wall? Would the electricity zap the wall (for being in contact with the armor) and then conduct through it to you and electrocute you?

How does the [Element] Aura spell answer these questions? Let's go from there and not invent new rulings...
Raiden
I feel that depending on which version you use the price should vary. Lol version 1-1 should be about .75 while version 1-2 should be at least 1. Or you could add them together for 1.5 or 2 pp
Udoshi
Isn't there a power that does exactly this in the digital grimoire already?
Epicedion
QUOTE (Makki @ Jun 12 2013, 01:52 AM) *
How does the [Element] Aura spell answer these questions? Let's go from there and not invent new rulings...

I have no idea how the spell works. Hence the questions.
Makki
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 12 2013, 07:25 PM) *
Isn't there a power that does exactly this in the digital grimoire already?

It's worse, it sucks and it lacks style biggrin.gif

edit:typo
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Makki @ Jun 12 2013, 12:16 PM) *
It's worth, it sucks and it lacks style biggrin.gif

Strictly a matter of opinion. *shrug*
Udoshi
QUOTE (Makki @ Jun 12 2013, 11:16 AM) *
It's worth, it sucks and it lacks style biggrin.gif

This i will agree with.
Makki
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 12 2013, 08:07 AM) *

Just thought about it a moment. Reflecting on how others handled it (like Fantastic Four, X-Men,...), I wonder if a power has to have advantages only? Let's effect Elemental Armor the adept's gear aswell!
E.g. if he had Mystic Armor 4 and Elemental Armor [Fire], he's better wearing Armor with Fire Resistance upgrade. With Elemental Armor [Electricity] He needs to make sure, all his electronics are optical...

Now, Version 2 is everything but overpowered:

Elemental Armor
Cost: .5
Prerequisites: Mystic Armor, Elemental Resistance

Elemental Armor temporarily enhances the adept's Mystic
Armor an elemental effect (see pp. 164–165 of this book
and pp. 154–155, SR4) as chosen when selecting the
Elemental Resistance power.
While active, the power coats the adept with a visible
effect appropriate to the chosen element. Everybody and
everything (including the adept's own gear) getting in
contact with the adept must resist damage equal to the
adept's Mystic Armor's power rating. The type of damage
is elemental according to the chosen element.
Activating Elemental Armor is a Simple Action, after which
the effect lasts for (Magic attribute) Combat Turns, but
may be turn off with a free action at any time.

I still miss some kind of temporary armor enhancement...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012