Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do these spells interact?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Shapechange allows you to transform yourself or a willing target into a non-para critter with a body score equal to your body +/-2. What I want to know is how this interacts with augmentations, spells and adept powers that alter your body attribute.

For instance: A mage has body 2 and casts increase (body) to up the attribute to 5. if that mage then casts shapechange, can he change into a creature with a body between 0-4 or between 3-7?
Raiden
I am actually not sure, but since for all other purposes you are treated as having a 5 body, it would be the same for this, thought at that point I believe there would be two sustained spells.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jun 22 2013, 09:55 AM) *
I am actually not sure, but since for all other purposes you are treated as having a 5 body, it would be the same for this, thought at that point I believe there would be two sustained spells.

Reasonable... so what happens if after you've cast shapechage you drop the increase body or have it dispelled? What if the extra pip of body comes from a superthyroid gland, which goes away while you're shapechanged?
Raiden
I would assume the shapechange spell would fail as well, I have never thought to do this so I dunno :/. I say that because I believe shapechange is a sustained spell, if you can't sustain it, either by not meeting requirements or something there of it fails. as for the sup. gland I dunno, tbh IDK why you'd put one on a mage. to much other nice things to grab :3.
toturi
Consistency. It depends on how you choose to interpret the line about Body. If you choose to see it as unmodified natural Body, then apply the principle consistently. If you read it some other way, then make sure to be consistent as well.
Raiden
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 21 2013, 09:18 PM) *
Consistency. It depends on how you choose to interpret the line about Body. If you choose to see it as unmodified natural Body, then apply the principle consistently. If you read it some other way, then make sure to be consistent as well.

true enough, thought how would shapechange mess up the bioware? does it say it does anywhere? I would rule it the same as the others, so it would fail if it does.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jun 22 2013, 10:11 AM) *
... as for the sup. gland I dunno, tbh IDK why you'd put one on a mage. to much other nice things to grab :3.

I was more inclined to turn our melee monster character into a bear or something. The stat boost from a shapechange spell can potentially be insane!
That said, if I use it on the melee adept (who specializes in unarmed and has something like 13p -3 as his base damage already) then he'll put bear who walks through walls to shame!
Shemhazai
So Increase Body spell, Decrease Body spell, and shapechange should let you be many different types of animals.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 21 2013, 10:47 PM) *
So Increase Body spell, Decrease Body spell, and shapechange should let you be many different types of animals.

Does Shapechange let you be many different types of animals?

(Shapechange lets you go up or down two points....with each casting?)
Raiden
from what I read, you can shapechange into any non paracritter that your body allows for.
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 21 2013, 11:52 PM) *
Does Shapechange let you be many different types of animals?

(Shapechange lets you go up or down two points....with each casting?)

The idea is that when you want to be a mouse, lower your body, and when you want to be a horse, raise it.
FuelDrop
here's another one: since Shapechange gives you the animal's base attributes, then increases the BASE attribute by +1 per net hit, could you then cast and sustain an improved attribute spell on top of that?

For instance: the group is attacking a submarine. The mage casts improved body on the physical adept, increasing his body from 6 to 9. the mage then turns him into a great white shark (Base strength 10), and gets 2 hits, making him strength 12. Finally the mage casts improved strength on him at force 12 and gets 6 hits, buffing him up to strength 18.

would this work? could the mage drop the improved body spell afterwards without disrupting the other spells? how much damage would our minmaxed physical adept do with a bite attack? would killing hands affect that?
Makki
@FuelDrop
I'd say yes, as long as every spell is sustained.
Bite damage is in Running Wild. Killing Hands should work fine, as it works for shapeshifter adepts.
Raiden
Lets just say, I do NOT want to meet said shark.
Modular Man
Well, there are three sustained spells on it, so some mage had to jumb a few hoops to even get there. That said, I don't want to meet it either. I have to remember the trick for the next time my group goes scuba diving, though.
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 22 2013, 06:18 AM) *
The idea is that when you want to be a mouse, lower your body, and when you want to be a horse, raise it.

I think the idea was to shapechange and then shapechange again. Imagine a body 2 mage shapechanging to something with body 4, then gaining 3 successes. Now we're at body 7. Now what if the mage wants to cast shapechange again to become a critter with body 9? I'd put it as GM fiat.
Neraph
This reminds me of the Shapechange Wars. We had threads on Shapechange go for 14+ pages due to debates on the matter.
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Jun 22 2013, 09:31 AM) *
I think the idea was to shapechange and then shapechange again. Imagine a body 2 mage shapechanging to something with body 4, then gaining 3 successes. Now we're at body 7. Now what if the mage wants to cast shapechange again to become a critter with body 9? I'd put it as GM fiat.

I was talking about my idea of changing your body to whatever you want before you change.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 22 2013, 11:23 AM) *
I was talking about my idea of changing your body to whatever you want before you change.

I know what your idea was I was asking if you're applying consistency:
That is, are the hits generated by Shapechange that effect body treated the same way as hits generated by Increase (Body)?
Raiden
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 22 2013, 12:37 PM) *
That is, are the hits generated by Shapechange that effect body treated the same way as hits generated by Increase (Body)?

I suppose so, but I would rule it as if you recast the spell, the original one fails. or do I have the idea a little off?
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 22 2013, 01:37 PM) *

Oh, okay. I don't know. I just think it would be cool to have a troll with a body variable from 3 to 15 (16?) who has the opportunity to change into many different kinds of animals.
FuelDrop
it's worse, because shapechange specifically states that it modifies the BASE body stat, not the augmented body stat. That means that even if we decide that augmentations to body do not count towards your shapechange limit then multiple shapechanges are under a completely different set of rules.
it also means that augmented maximums for a powerful shapechange spell are ridiculous. Like, great dragon ridiculous.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jun 22 2013, 08:33 AM) *
Lets just say, I do NOT want to meet said shark.

Gonna need a bigger boat.
FuelDrop
well, if the shapechange spell gets more than 5 hits then the shark/adept's base stats are all better than a megoladon's.
let's say 6 hits, not outside the realms of possibility for most mages.
at this point our adept is rocking with:
body 16.
agility 11
reaction 11
strength 16
plus his bite attack is at 1/2 strength +2 and an AP of 1 base.

on a troll adept with body 8 none of this 'multiple spells' ambiguity comes into play. Assume 6 magic and way of the warrior:
critical strike 5
improved ability (unarmed combat) 2
killing hands
penetrating strike 3
improved reflexes 3

also, let's go with 6 ranks in unarmed.
In effect, our adept shark is rocking out with:
14 dice dodge pool (ballistic).
22 dice parry pool (close combat).
16 dice soak pool.
19 dice attack pool.
base damage: 15p vs impact -4.
4 initiative passes.

This guy fears nothing in the water. He sinks warships and combat submarines in a single round. Even most aquatic paracritters should start swimming in the other direction, and fast, because this guy is moving 20/50 and has four initiative passes worth of crazy-dice swim checks to pursue them.

All of this is chargen legal for 400 bp without restricted gear.

Scrap the bigger boat, just stay out of the water.

Edit: oh, and his physical damage track? 16. just in case you wanted to try and take this guy down. If his mage buddy throws on a spell like armor or combat sense, it gets even more insane.
FuelDrop
Other cool combo's for our fictional duo:
Alligator (komodo dragon) [base stats are lower, but you get better AP on your bite and venom as compensation. also, you can move out of the water]
Cheetah: for a lightweight adept, a cheetah has a powerful natural attack and most importantly a run speed of 80m, allowing you to cross the distance to gun-wielding foes far faster.
Grizzly Bear: I probably don't need to tell you how badass these are. suffice to say they're getting close to a land-bound version of the great white shark.
Rhinoceros: if you can get the body 10 needed to make this transformation (the critter is body 12 base), you can turn your adept into a wrecking ball of doom and destruction. With the same adept as above (except at body 10), and the 6 hits on the shapechange spell:

Body 18.
Agility 9.
Reaction 10 (13).
Strength 22.

13 dodge.
21 parry.
20 ballistic soak.
22 impact soak.
17 attack.
base damage: 18p, impact -5.

that is what you call a battering ram. oh, and with 15/50 speed you'll be able to run down your enemy when they turn to flee.
FuelDrop
Aaand another question occurs to me: if you have a martial art that grants +1 unarmed damage, do you still get that while shapechanged? because at that point having an adept-mage pair built around the adept dumping all physical stats except body and throwing a bunch of points into stuff that boosts unarmed damage on the expectation that his mage buddy will turn him into a rampaging beast with shapechange and use magic to give him armor ect would be a teamwork heavy combo, but a totally badass one.
FuelDrop
Back to the original problem:
Increase attribute only works if the force of the spell is equal to or greater than the unaugmented attribute being increased.
once shapechange takes effect, odds on your force is going to be too low to sustain the spell.
therefore, once you cast shapechange the increase body spell used to cast the shapechange in the first place fizzles.
so the question of what happens when your increase body spell goes away while you're shapechanged is actually quite important.
Neraph
This thread is just making me want to play my troll mystic adept beastmaster even more...

EDIT:
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jun 22 2013, 08:32 PM) *
Increase attribute only works if the force of the spell is equal to or greater than the unaugmented attribute being increased.
once shapechange takes effect, odds on your force is going to be too low to sustain the spell.
therefore, once you cast shapechange the increase body spell used to cast the shapechange in the first place fizzles.
so the question of what happens when your increase body spell goes away while you're shapechanged is actually quite important.

I think you're vaguely onto something with this, but by this logic the Shapechange spell would cause itself to fail, as more than likely the resulting form has a Body of 2+ of the target, causing itself to fizzle.
FuelDrop
I am now honestly under the opinion that Shapechange is the single most flexible spell in the game.
It allows:
Water breathing.
Flight.
Infiltration (turn into a mouse or the like, or in more rural settings hide among a herd of cattle or horses).
Travel (turn into an eagle and fly to your destination. You'll be naked when you arrive, though...).
Combat in any earthly environment (see above).
Other utility (turn into an ape and it becomes a universal buff spell, though not without a few associated costs).
Neraph
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jun 22 2013, 08:41 PM) *
Other utility (turn into an ape and it becomes a universal buff spell, though not without a few associated costs).

And smells...
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jun 23 2013, 10:35 AM) *
This thread is just making me want to play my troll mystic adept beastmaster even more...

When you do, go with an elephant instead of a rhinoceros. Tusks give +2 more damage (total of 1/2 str +5, -2 AP), at the cost of not getting the 2/4 armor of the rhino.
Modular Man
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jun 22 2013, 04:58 PM) *
This reminds me of the Shapechange Wars. We had threads on Shapechange go for 14+ pages due to debates on the matter.

Oh yeah, let's hope we don't go there again.

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jun 23 2013, 04:41 AM) *
I am now honestly under the opinion that Shapechange is the single most flexible spell in the game.
It allows:
Water breathing.
Flight.
Infiltration (turn into a mouse or the like, or in more rural settings hide among a herd of cattle or horses).
Travel (turn into an eagle and fly to your destination. You'll be naked when you arrive, though...).

Yep. Simply versatile.
There's downsides to this, of course, like the inability to handle gear in most forms. Also, getting armor tailored for a critter is a tad difficult. Although you could have gear tailored for some specific critters on standby, if you're well-prepared...
You know what? There's bear armor in "War!" biggrin.gif

I once heard a story of a mage who turned into a sparrow and flew around, slinging spells, being an unlikely target... until the day someone opened a full burst of APDS from an LMG onto him. Good plan all the way, but he met a grisly end...

It's still way useful.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Jun 23 2013, 10:59 AM) *
You know what? There's bear armor in "War!" biggrin.gif

there is?!? what page? because an armored up elephant adept martial artist would be completely insane.

EDIT: oops, read that as 'beast' armor for some reason.
Neraph
I always assumed a good rule of thumb for GMs would be to use vehicle armor costs from Arsenal as a guideline. It's based off of Body, if memory serves.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Jun 22 2013, 09:59 PM) *
I once heard a story of a mage who turned into a sparrow and flew around, slinging spells, being an unlikely target... until the day someone opened a full burst of APDS from an LMG onto him. Good plan all the way, but he met a grisly end...

It's still way useful.

I played a Eagle Shifter like that once.
Midas
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jun 23 2013, 03:32 AM) *

Long time!

The way I see it, the spell order is important. You could Increase Body to buff your BOD and then Shapechange based on the +/-2 parameters of the spell-buffed BOD. You are a BOD-buffed metahuman mage, Shapechanged into a critter whose BOD equals the critter's base BOD plus net hits of the Shapechange spell. If you cast the spells in the reverse order, you become a Shapechanged mage with BOD as per the Shapechanged spell buffed further by the Increased Body spell ... if you can meet the force threshold based on the Shapechanged mage's BOD.

What happens when the Increase Body spell is dropped is a little less certain, but I would rule that the Shapechange would be disrupted as the spell's BOD +/-2 requirement had been breached. As it is a sustained spell, I think this BOD limitation is continuously required to maintain the spell, but I give this as an opinion as the wording of the spell is notoriously ambiguous.

Midas
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jun 23 2013, 03:41 AM) *
It allows:
Water breathing.
Flight.

The lack of armour and gear are drawbacks, but yeah, it is a pretty versatile spell.
Irion
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Jun 23 2013, 02:59 AM) *

It's still way useful.

Which reminds me of the fact, that there are not enough ranged modifiers in SR. Higher Ground, Flying, movement speed should have been there...
Just you know, to prevent people from shooting down freaking planes...

But the SR would not be the SR if you could not get around it. Just use a condor. They can go up to 7000m. So you would be out of range and could play living predator drone...
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Irion @ Jun 23 2013, 03:01 PM) *
Which reminds me of the fact, that there are not enough ranged modifiers in SR. Higher Ground, Flying, movement speed should have been there...
Just you know, to prevent people from shooting down freaking planes...

But the SR would not be the SR if you could not get around it. Just use a condor. They can go up to 7000m. So you would be out of range and could play living predator drone...

hmmm... I think I'm going to need to add the hawkeye spell to my list if I want to try that. And I want to try it sooo bad!
Neraph
QUOTE (Midas @ Jun 23 2013, 01:47 AM) *
What happens when the Increase Body spell is dropped is a little less certain, but I would rule that the Shapechange would be disrupted as the spell's BOD +/-2 requirement had been breached. As it is a sustained spell, I think this BOD limitation is continuously required to maintain the spell, but I give this as an opinion as the wording of the spell is notoriously ambiguous.

As I stated, however, the fact that the Shapechange spell itself violates the Bod +/- 2 rule should invalidate that argument; in other words, it doesn't matter if the Increase (Body) spell is dropped since the new spells' effects are overriding it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012