Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the 4th day from download, my true love gave to me...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sendaz
Sadly I will probably get both, this will be the first time I have gotten a PDF prior to having the hardcopy. Prior to this I have only used PDF to replace missing elements lost over the years.

But I do still like the feel of a proper book, so will see how budget works comes August.
binarywraith
I'm buying the PDF because as the GM, I get to take one for the team on this one.

From what's been shown so far, though, I don't think we'll be playing it.
Medicineman
I'll wait for the German Version and Running Harder ('cause Prio System is...suboptimal imO )
(and I also want to play "Roughrider" my Pixi Cowgirl, Adept Drone Rigger that rides a Panther XXL which is impossible with the BBB only)

HougH!
Medicineman
DamHawke
Waiting it out for more material/erratas etc since I got into 4th Ed less than a year ago nyahnyah.gif
Sunshine
I am going totally crazy on this having already ordered 3 BBB's (have some birthdays comming up in my circle of friends) and one limited (for the shelves) at my FLGS and because I nEEd to now I'll get the .pdf asap.
I have 3 Shadowrun games running right now and however this works I'll try to convert at least one of those to SR5 (for the Hacking part alone).

love,
Sunshine *grabbing a fistfull of money throwing it at cgl*

Glyph
I'm going to wait for the errata (if I get it at all), to see if they fix some of the wireless bonuses, plus I think Bull already mentioned that they would probably change the karma costs for mystic adepts wanting to start out with power points (which is a huge change). Plus, if I wait for the SR5 equivalent of Runner's Companion, there will be BP and karmagen systems, both of which are much better for customizing characters.
tasti man LH
PDF is a guaranteed buy for me, but the hard copy I'm on the fence about.

On one hand, it's already disheartening to know that there will be three major rules errors right out of the gate, and that I don't plan on running an SR5 campaign for awhile as I'm still deep in the middle of an SR4 campaign. On the other hand, I do prefer the hard copy over a PDF, as I like the feel of an actual book in my hands, and that for me reading a hard copy is easier than a PDF, since all I've got as of this post is a computer screen (sooooo much tedious scrolling) and a tiny iPhone screen.

Of course, if I do get the hard copy, shouldn't be too bad to just get a print out of the errata and stick it in the book for me to reference. nyahnyah.gif
lokii
♪ Five golden dice ♫
hermit
Will get the PDF as soon as I can. I'll see about the printed book when I see Pegasus' version of the core rules, and what errata have been incorporated.
Draco18s
I will be blunt and honest.

I am fine with the tea I have. I will be making no move with my own wallet to acquire the new edition. If I happen to get a look at it in some other manner, then I will, and appraise it at face value.
Tzeentch
The PDF is a no brainer, unless they suddenly decide to make it super expensive.
Elfenlied
PDF asap, German book as soon it is out.

Kinda funny that Shadowrun is the only non-German RPG I play where the quality of the German version excedes that of the original. Usually, it's the other way around.
Seerow
Wow I'm the only one holding out for the hardcopy?

I thought there were more people who would want the hard cover on principle alone.
Tzeentch
Ask again after when the second printing starts smile.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 7 2013, 09:11 PM) *

I am fine with the tea I have. I will be making no move with my own wallet to acquire the new edition. If I happen to get a look at it in some other manner, then I will, and appraise it at face value.

I have to tentatively agree here. I haven't seen anything that's worth my actual cash to spend on this book so far. I have many other priorities right now.
RHat
QUOTE (Seerow @ Jul 7 2013, 10:32 PM) *

I thought there were more people who would want the hard cover on principle alone.

Given how much cheaper the PDF is, and how much sooner it comes out, I suspect most people who prefer dead tree are planning to get both - being able to redownload with errata is especially nice.
tasti man LH
After thinking on it more...yeah, I think I'm going to wait on the hard copy and on potential published errata.

It's getting hefty as is since I'm also waiting on that Intro Box Set, and nvm that I've also got my eyes set on that lovely core rulebook of Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.
Thanee
QUOTE (Seerow @ Jul 8 2013, 07:32 AM) *

I do, too... but will get the PDF as well. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Blade
Most of the players in my circle haven't been very convinced by what they've seen so far. So I guess I'll wait until we can test it with some of them to form an opinion and see if it's worth buying. If I do, it'll be PDF only until the French version comes out. It will probably be two years later, but at least it'll be fully errated by then.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Seerow @ Jul 8 2013, 12:32 AM) *

I'm waiting for a Hard copy.

I would have one already, but all those hundreds of players just loved the game and bought them all before I could get one. I guess that's all my fault for ensuring every player got a chance to buy one before I got to.

I'll also get the updated PDF eventually.
ShadowDragon8685
Someone has to take a hatchet to the Matrixstral Plane and restore something reasonably analogous to computing science to the Matrix rules. I can't do that without at least a PDF.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Seerow @ Jul 7 2013, 11:32 PM) *

I'm holding out for a hardcopy with errata. $60 is too damn much to pay for what is essentially a proof.
DMiller
I'll be getting the PDF ASAP, but will buy the 2nd or 3rd printing of the book (if the includes the errata). The PDF will be correctable or redownloadable (is that a word?) to include the errata.
cryptoknight
Already have the BBB from Origins, expect to get the PDF on release day.

Mostly as a CDT member these days I will spend my future days running Shadowrun Missions, need to be current on the current rules. smile.gif

Hope I'll be able to get the PDF asap as well.
TeOdio
Both! PDF first for twenty bones. Will get book after errata gets introduced...nah I'm a collector. I'll get the buggy version as well. Thankfully, other than coffee, Shadowrun IS my vice.
Fatum
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 8 2013, 08:11 AM) *

QFT
RHat
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 8 2013, 11:06 AM) *
Someone has to take a hatchet to the Matrixstral Plane and restore something reasonably analogous to computing science to the Matrix rules. I can't do that without at least a PDF.

I'm sorry, but were you under the impression that the Matrix rules were ever holistically analogous to computing science?
Bull
Hrmm. There's no entry for "I already have my PDF copy" wink.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 9 2013, 12:59 AM) *

Ask and ye shall receive thus nyahnyah.gif

Did leave that out originally so as to not rub salt in that particular wound, but as we are in 48 hr to go just gonna rip that band aid off
FuelDrop
Can we add "holding out for collector's edition" to the poll?
cndblank
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 8 2013, 10:59 PM) *

That is just mean.

But you certainly earned it.
Sendaz
Double post
Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 9 2013, 03:06 AM) *
Can we add "holding out for collector's edition" to the poll?

I would still class that under holding out for a hardcopy, the version (1st print, 2nd print, collectable) itself itself may vary.

Just like some in option 6 for holding out for errata includes those waiting for the expected errataed (sp?) German/French copies or some other permutation.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (TeOdio @ Jul 8 2013, 09:41 PM) *
Both! PDF first for twenty bones. Will get book after errata gets introduced...nah I'm a collector. I'll get the buggy version as well. Thankfully, other than coffee, Shadowrun IS my vice.

Someone has to mainline that substance...
betterwatchit
You know what one of the crazier surprises is for me? I heard that APDS ammo has had its Availability reduced to the point where it's now chargen-legal!
DireRadiant
QUOTE (betterwatchit @ Jul 9 2013, 08:40 AM) *
You know what one of the crazier surprises is for me? I heard that APDS ammo has had its Availability reduced to the point where it's now chargen-legal!

Yes, but keep in mind APDS isn't as effective either. Relative to how effective it is in SR4. It's still awesome, but not as awesome as it was in SR4. It's -4 AP, which looks good, but armor got boosted all round.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 9 2013, 10:37 AM) *
Yes, but keep in mind APDS isn't as effective either. Relative to how effective it is in SR4. It's still awesome, but not as awesome as it was in SR4. It's -4 AP, which looks good, but armor got boosted all round.

That just means that Armor technology has gotten a boost. It is always a give and take in that industry as technologies advance... Some years Armor wins, other years Ammo wins. smile.gif
Of course, in the end, ammo has gotten more powerful as well, so really, ammo is more deadly than it was in SR4 (+2 Average Damage Increase), and armor is still lagging behind (+1.3 Average Soak Increase - At Armor 8 going to 12 in SR5)
Epicedion
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 9 2013, 12:42 PM) *
That just means that Armor technology has gotten a boost. It is always a give and take in that industry as technologies advance... Some years Armor wins, other years Ammo wins. smile.gif
Of course, in the end, ammo has gotten more powerful as well, so really, ammo is more deadly than it was in SR4 (+2 Average Damage Increase), and armor is still lagging behind (+1.3 Average Soak Increase - At Armor 8 going to 12 in SR5)

Note that some weapons with APDS rounds will simply be terrors. A sniper rifle has something like -4 AP already, so with APDS rounds will be doing something like 12 damage -8 AP, which is barely survivable for most targets.

I think this will really make choices like dermal plating and cyberlimbs solid choices again -- not getting hit is great, but you don't want to be completely hosed if someone ekes out one net hit on you.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jul 9 2013, 11:13 AM) *
Note that some weapons with APDS rounds will simply be terrors. A sniper rifle has something like -4 AP already, so with APDS rounds will be doing something like 12 damage -8 AP, which is barely survivable for most targets.

I think this will really make choices like dermal plating and cyberlimbs solid choices again -- not getting hit is great, but you don't want to be completely hosed if someone ekes out one net hit on you.

Indeed they will be. I am always an advocate of not getting hit over soaking, but you do need some armor to be surviveable. smile.gif
tasti man LH
QUOTE (betterwatchit @ Jul 9 2013, 05:40 AM) *

Aye; always did find it weird that APDS was more expensive and had higher Avail. then EX rounds.
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jul 9 2013, 10:13 AM) *

I would certainly hope so. Those are weapons designed for one shot kills. Though as a player I've always been leery of using them outside of an obvious tactical need so as not to give the GM reason to use them on me and the rest of the group. smile.gif Having to Hand of God until you're out of Edge because you keep one-shotting the GMs stories isn't fun for anybody.
Wired_SR_AEGIS
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 9 2013, 04:59 AM) *

Ouch. Aren't there some forum rules against taunting the less fortunate!? Part of the end user license agreement, or something?

That's it... I'm heading off to sulk.

-Wired_SR_AEGIS
Bull
QUOTE (Wired_SR_AEGIS @ Jul 9 2013, 02:08 PM) *
Ouch. Aren't there some forum rules against taunting the less fortunate!? Part of the end user license agreement, or something?

That's it... I'm heading off to sulk.

-Wired_SR_AEGIS

Sorry, sorry... If it makes you feel better, I didn't end up with a hardcopy from Origins. I ended up giving it to a friend who couldn't geta copy. And since I'm a collector, that kind of hurts, since it was a fairly limited print run edition.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jul 9 2013, 12:13 PM) *

But it makes it just about perfect for when you're planning to go get the fixings for your next Behemoth Gumbo (Feeds 200!). Granted even then it is a bit touch and go, but some say the excitement adds flavour.
Slacker
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jul 9 2013, 11:13 AM) *

Well, the damage values on all weapons have been upped. There's an assault rifle that does 11P -2AP base damage (though it's avail is too high for chargen). Even the AK-97 is 10P -2AP base.

Just hope the GM doesn't give an NPC the Ranger Arms SM-5 Sniper Rifle with APDS ammo, that would be 14P -9AP. smile.gif
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 9 2013, 11:45 AM) *
Just hope the GM doesn't give an NPC the Ranger Arms SM-5 Sniper Rifle with APDS ammo, that would be 14P -9AP. smile.gif

GMs have no more innate resistance to the DV of the SR5 book than the players. "Roll your Edge. No hits? Sorry, Hand of God or make a new chara–" *thump*

"Anyone else want to GM while Bob is healing from his concussion?"
Sendaz
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Jul 9 2013, 03:42 PM) *
GMs have no more innate resistance to the DV of the SR5 book than the players. "Roll your Edge. No hits? Sorry, Hand of God or make a new chara–" *thump*

"Anyone else want to GM while Bob is healing from his concussion?"

Remember when using

Flat Side Striking = Stun

SPINE EDGE STRIKING = Physical
WolfgangGrafVonBek
Buying PDF ASAP because WANT IT NOW!

buying 2x physical copies (one for table, one for GM)
I'll get one full price at My FLGS and one cheap on Amazon.
Sendaz
♪ Two Turtled Drones ♫
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 9 2013, 09:32 PM) *
♪ Two Turtled Drones ♫

And a 'betty in a pear tree?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012