Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Midnight Release of PDF?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
cndblank
So who is hoping that 00:01 Eastern 07/11/2013, the PDF will drop?
Wired_SR_AEGIS
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jul 10 2013, 04:15 PM) *
So who is hoping that 00:01 Eastern 07/11/2013, the PDF will drop?

Sign me up.

-Wired_SR_AEGIS
Shinobi Killfist
Go big and hope for a release using GMT of 00:01.

At least big for Americans..
phlapjack77
China checking in - no pdf available yet on battlecorps or drivethru rpg...
Nal0n
0:01 EDT would be ... hmmm ... 6:01 am CEST ... guess I'll get up early tomorrow then wink.gif
Nal0n
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 10 2013, 06:26 PM) *
China checking in - no pdf available yet on battlecorps or drivethru rpg...

You are from the future oO
Scary wink.gif
Sunshine
Ok, Its 9:22 (in Austria, Vienna) and there is no .pdf in sight. I'll check again in Everett "office hours".
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Nal0n @ Jul 11 2013, 02:21 AM) *
You are from the future oO
Scary wink.gif

ssshh...just relax! We control the horizontal AND the vertical

乖...乖...

Grak
Well, it's not a fraggin' midnight release is it.

I've got good Nuyen for any Seattle runner that can break into IMR and post that damned PDF.
Dyspeptic
It's up now. Enjoy, everyone.
Fatum
QUOTE (Grak @ Jul 11 2013, 11:49 AM) *
Well, it's not a fraggin' midnight release is it.

I've got good Nuyen for any Seattle runner that can break into IMR and post that damned PDF.
Pah, that could've been done two weeks prior.
Sunshine
And it's out! YAAAY! rotate.gif rollin.gif wobble.gif
RHat
QUOTE (Sunshine @ Jul 11 2013, 02:08 AM) *
And it's out! YAAAY! rotate.gif rollin.gif wobble.gif

Link? Preferably on Drive Thru RPG?
Critias
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 11 2013, 02:14 AM) *
Link? Preferably on Drive Thru RPG?

I don't see it in a half-assed search of DTRPG or BattleShop. Maybe it was the preorders that went out? I dunno.
DamHawke
It's right here? http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1159...n-Core-Rulebook
Grak
Doesn't look like his trolling.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1159...n-Core-Rulebook
Critias
QUOTE (DamHawke @ Jul 11 2013, 02:25 AM) *

Huh. When I put in a search for "Shadowrun Fifth" all I get are the previews (and Storm Front, for some reason). Weird.
Moirdryd
Odd indeed as my searches are throwing back the same. Oh well, the links work smile.gif
DamHawke
I took the long route by searching through publisher when I got the same results initially.

I wonder what's the deal with the crazy markdown price though (I haven't been paying attention to the 5th Ed threads much)
Critias
I mean, the words "Shadowrun" and "Fifth" are right there in the name, so you'd think...ah well. Above my pay grade, I guess. wink.gif
Brutus PI
Oh my GOD! It's up. The PDF I mean...
Thanee
So, it's available on DriveThruRPG but not on Battlecorps, yet... I want the PDF+Print-Preorder combo... hurry, guys! biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Grak
I had a quick browse of the pdf and I've found the DriveThru copy has no bookmarks and extremely poor sizing for tablets. On my device it displays all the pages in a single line, while zoomed out as much as possible. Great for printing, terrible for reading.

I get the feeling DriveThru are selling an early copy intended for printing houses not for customers. That might explain why it's not on Battlecorps yet.
Thufar_Hawat
Is this on BattleCorps yet? I can't seem to find it there.
Temperance
I believe Bull mentioned on the SR4 forums that it would be noon PST. frown.gif (PST? Bah, it's the DST time of the year. Should be PDT.)

Edit: Yep! http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?top...13894#msg213894

That said, later in the thread folks said they started their download from DTRPG already. Looks up to me.

-Temperance
Thanee
It is up on DTRPG, but not on Battlecorps yet, which is about 9h away still, if noon PST is accurate.

Bye
Thanee
bonehead
QUOTE (Brutus PI @ Jul 11 2013, 04:36 AM) *
Oh my GOD! It's up. The PDF I mean...

You nearly made me do a spit-take. Well played. smile.gif
Critias
I shot an email off to the bosses to see what's up with the bookmark/formatting stuff. I am by no means a formatting expert, but I'm trying to poke 'em with a stick and see what's up (if anyone's still awake to answer).
RHat
It's not unknown for the wrong file to get released due to a miscommunication here or there - seen it happen on Steam a few times.
Critias
PM'ed the boss-man over on Facebook, too. I suspect he's asleep by this point, but if nothing else hopefully he'll spot it and know to check his email first thing.

I've been using a non-bookmarked version (our "rough draft, finished" pdf, basically, no frills at all) to work with for the last weeks/months, so trust me, I know what a pain in the ass it is. I can't imagine the layout guy would've put this thing up for sale in that shape, there's gotta be a mix-up somewhere. Some reviewers specifically mentioned the nice bookmarks on their review copies, so this just has to be a screw-up (and as such can be fixed).
vladski
QUOTE (Grak @ Jul 11 2013, 04:18 AM) *
I had a quick browse of the pdf and I've found the DriveThru copy has no bookmarks and extremely poor sizing for tablets. On my device it displays all the pages in a single line, while zoomed out as much as possible. Great for printing, terrible for reading.

I get the feeling DriveThru are selling an early copy intended for printing houses not for customers. That might explain why it's not on Battlecorps yet.

Yeah, I have the same/similar problems with mine. Downloaded it at about 4:45AM Central from DriveThru. Have tried viewing it with Adobe Reader X, Foxit Reader 6, and Nitro Reader 3. Hard to expand properly, absolutely no bookmarks and it seems like it glitches if you scroll to the very bottom and displays random pages in a small form on both Adobe and Foxit. The lack of bookmarks makes it a real pain to read unless you plan on just starting at the beginning and going thru it. Who does that? frown.gif

It seems to open fairly fast when you scroll, especially for a nearly 500 page document. I have an 16 gig, quad core AMD A8 laptop with an AMD gaming video chipset and it still occasionally likes to lag on some of Catalysts PDFs. This, however, especially on Foxit, jsut smoothly scolls right on thru. I hope the fixed version retains that smoothness. frown.gif I think I'll retain this version as well when the proper one is released just for that easy scrolling.

Vlad
RHat
Foxit Reader's "Fit Visible" seems to work nicely enough.
Critias
Just FYI, but I'm off to bed and haven't heard back from the grown-ups just yet (given my zany sleep schedule compared to theirs). I'm gonna crash for a bit, and then I've got to prep for a trip to Las Vegas, leavin' later today and gone for the weekend. So you'll just have to check for an update straight from DTRP, or from Bull, or whoever. Sorry to not be able to provide my own follow-up, here, but hopefully they get the PDF formatting issues hashed out for y'all soon.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 11 2013, 03:29 AM) *
Huh. When I put in a search for "Shadowrun Fifth" all I get are the previews (and Storm Front, for some reason). Weird.

It's right there, under preview 5 and above 6. wink.gif
ElFenrir
No longer on Drivethru(or it says it can't find it), but i'll check back tonight(12 noon is 10pm here where I am, so it'll be a little bit more.)
ElFenrir
*double post*
Draco18s
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Jul 11 2013, 09:08 AM) *
No longer on Drivethru(or it says it can't find it), but i'll check back tonight(12 noon is 10pm here where I am, so it'll be a little bit more.)

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1159...n-Core-Rulebook <-- you mean that, right there?
Totally visible between previews 5 and 6 when doing a search for "Shadowrun Fifth"?
Fatum
Yes, but when you click it, it's "Item not available".
CGL never ceases to impress, really.
ElFenrir
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 11 2013, 09:10 AM) *
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1159...n-Core-Rulebook <-- you mean that, right there?
Totally visible between previews 5 and 6 when doing a search for "Shadowrun Fifth"?

Indeed, it says 'Product Not Available' when I click on it. It comes up in the search perfectly fine, but I click, 'Product Not Available', which led me to believe the 12 noon thing is happening or something.
bonehead
*my bad, misread patricks post from the SR4 forums*
Draco18s
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 11 2013, 09:12 AM) *

*Clicks*
Oh, yes, you do appear to be correct. When I made that post I had loaded up the direct URL and it worked, but now it doesn't.

Fancy.

/me starts printing "I <3 CLG" bumper stickers. Also "I </3 CGL" stickers, for those who want to be less sarcastic.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (bonehead @ Jul 11 2013, 08:14 AM) *
Per Patrick Goodman on the SR4 forums no booksmarks for the PDF:

Patrick Goodman's Post RE: Bookmarks

Wait, what? I said nothing about bookmarks. Someone asked specifically about Drop Bears.
Temperance
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 11 2013, 07:12 AM) *

When did it become CGL's fault for a DTRPG error? It's like blaming CGL because one book/game store sold the book a day early. Yes, they have and will continue to make mistakes, but this one isn't theirs.

CGL said that it wouldn't be available till noon PST (though that should be PDT). The book being available before then should have been a clue that it wasn't right. The link being broke after DTRPG realized they made the mistake makes sense. It's not the first time DTRPG has done this.

-Temperance
DWC
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 11 2013, 10:28 AM) *
When did it become CGL's fault for a DTRPG error? It's like blaming CGL because one book/game store sold the book a day early. Yes, they have and will continue to make mistakes, but this one isn't theirs.

CGL said that it wouldn't be available till noon PST (though that should be PDT). The book being available before then should have been a clue that it wasn't right. The link being broke after DTRPG realized they made the mistake makes sense. It's not the first time DTRPG has done this.

-Temperance

It's CGL's fault because the file doesn't have the bookmarks. DriveThru put it up first thing in the morning, and took it down once they noticed that they had the wrong file. If it were just a case of having posted the wrong file and DTRPG had the proper one, they'd have swapped it over and notified everyone who bought the un-bookmarked PDF. It's how they've always handled updates to PDFs they sell.

DTRPG's decision to sell at starting at 0600 Eastern was clearly not what CLG had in mind, but their decision to jump the gun can't explain having the wrong file.
cndblank
This looks like the actions of a 4th Edition fanatic hacking the file.

Daedelus
[
QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 11 2013, 07:39 AM) *
It's CGL's fault because the file doesn't have the bookmarks. DriveThru put it up first thing in the morning, and took it down once they noticed that they had the wrong file. If it were just a case of having posted the wrong file and DTRPG had the proper one, they'd have swapped it over and notified everyone who bought the un-bookmarked PDF. It's how they've always handled updates to PDFs they sell.

DTRPG's decision to sell at starting at 0600 Eastern was clearly not what CLG had in mind, but their decision to jump the gun can't explain having the wrong file.

WOW the assumptions are flying wild. While your assumption that CGL sent them the wrong file is plausible there is at least one other plausible explination as well. Maybe they put up a copy of the file they received for review purposes? You MAY be right, but man that is a big stretch when there are other possibilities. The only thing we KNOW is that DTRPG put up the wrong file. That is the only mistake made here that can be verified.
Sengir
QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 11 2013, 02:39 PM) *

Well, *hypothetically* CGL could have sent out an intentionally broken file to distributors a few days ago and plan to send the correct file only a few hours before release to discourage early leaks...
But it sounds far more likely that two balls were dropped independently, one by sending the wrong file and one by the early release.
Temperance
QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 11 2013, 06:39 AM) *

It might, actually.

If the originally posted non-bookmarked copy was an advance non-finalized placeholder copy and if CGL's original plan was to send the correct file at say 9am PDT, the release time would have had the correct file. Which then would mean the error is wholly on DTRPG. Since the copy available seems to be the same copy the writers have, this is possible. But then, I'm smelling a whole lot of if coming off this scenario, so I am willing to accept I may be wrong.

Either way, it seems a bit early to cast stones without some actual evidence/confession. True, it's not the first time CGL has made a mistake of this caliber, but the same could be said for DTRPG.

-Temperance
DWC
QUOTE (Daedelus @ Jul 11 2013, 10:05 AM) *
[
WOW the assumptions are flying wild. While your assumption that CGL sent them the wrong file is plausible there is at least one other plausible explination as well. Maybe they put up a copy of the file they received for review purposes? You MAY be right, but man that is a big stretch when there are other possibilities. The only thing we KNOW is that DTRPG put up the wrong file. That is the only mistake made here that can be verified.

The reviewers got the bookmarked copy. Many of them commented on the ease of navigating the file because of the bookmarks. Also, DTRPG doesn't actually do reviews. They just post customer reviews. The reviewer copies went out several weeks ago and CGL has promoted the reviews that the file did receive. DTRPG instead posted the file the freelancers are using as a working copy for developing future products.

The assumption that they got a reviewer copy means someone screwed up and sent them the wrong file.
binarywraith
Yup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012