Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breaching protocol 101
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Our next run looks to be up against heavy opposition, with us badly outnumbered and probably out-gunned. I have already shared how we intend to beat the target's external defenses, but once we're inside we'll need to deal with more elite thugs, possibly drones, and subduing our target and bringing him out alive.
Obviously, this means that we absolutely MUST go in non-lethal, as killing our target by accident would be really embarrassing.

Our assets are a master sniper (who'll be fielding a shotgun for this mission), a manipulation mage (who'll be focused on buffing the others and battlefield control, and doubles as our grenadier, and an unknown third who's probably an unarmed physical adept troll. Extraction is being hand-waved as being handled by the character who's player couldn't make it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to pull this off? here's my current thinking:
1) lay down gun turrets to defend our flank, or at the very least micro-cameras/motion sensors to warn us when hostiles are on their way.
2) Breach, grenade, enter. Switch between flashbang, tear gas and neurostun splash so that if their defenders are watching us on camera they still don't know for certain what we'll do. Breaching is going to be either shotgun rounds or commercial explosives on locked doors.
3) move fast. reinforcements are 15 minutes away so we've no time to waste.
4) a spirit will be waiting in the wings to take anyone who falls and is not revived to a safe location. Thinking of Air, but that's not set in stone.
5) Wedging doors open or closed to make it harder for goons to wander around and flank us, or get their boss safely out of the house.

Suggestions?
Umidori
*shifty eyes*

Uhh...

...bouncy balls?

~Umi
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 12 2013, 06:41 AM) *
*shifty eyes*

Uhh...

...bouncy balls?

~Umi

I wish. the stinger grenades out of SWAT 4 would be so useful in this situation.

You listening, Catalyst?
Shemhazai
Astral overwatch. Don't be so reluctant to use deadly force. See if you can eliminate those wards so your buffs don't have to fight them when your team enters buildings.
ChromeZephyr
Carpet bomb the area with Slab for 5 minutes, waltz in, grab target, waltz out to waiting getaway vehicle. biggrin.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 11 2013, 06:41 PM) *
*shifty eyes*

Uhh...

...bouncy balls?

~Umi

250000 BOUNCY BALLS

-k
FuelDrop
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 12 2013, 08:07 AM) *

So how am I supposed to carry in and deploy 250000 bouncy balls inside the house, exactly?
kzt
Your going to alert the target with your phase 1, then assault the house outnumbered at least 3:1 as phase 2? A fully wired up and hardened house? So when you charge into the house and they set off a claymore mine behind the decorative folding paper room divider your plan is what? Lay there and bleed a lot?
FuelDrop
QUOTE (kzt @ Jul 12 2013, 12:03 PM) *
Your going to alert the target with your phase 1, then assault the house outnumbered at least 3:1 as phase 2? A fully wired up and hardened house? So when you charge into the house and they set off a claymore mine behind the decorative folding paper room divider your plan is what? Lay there and bleed a lot?

Of course not. That's the troll's job.
Umidori
You might want to bring help. Drones, mercs, abducted hobos shot full of K-10, something.

~Umi
Shrike30
The twelfth time or so that some dude delivers pizza to their place, they're gonna send someone out to investigate...
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 12 2013, 02:53 PM) *
abducted hobos shot full of K-10, something.

~Umi

I like that one. sold.
Sendaz

Our assets are a master sniper (who'll be fielding a shotgun for this mission)

*opens his mouth to say something, closes it and shakes his head as he lays a small book by Sun Tzu on the floor and just walks away*
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 12 2013, 05:43 PM) *
Our assets are a master sniper (who'll be fielding a shotgun for this mission)

*opens his mouth to say something, closes it and shakes his head as he lays a small book by Sun Tzu on the floor and just walks away*

Tell me about it. Our GM has assured us that there are no sniper vantages within range. Anyway, he volunteered.
All in all, this mission is stacking up to be a total disaster. Should be fun!
Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 12 2013, 07:05 AM) *
Tell me about it. Our GM has assured us that there are no sniper vantages within range. Anyway, he volunteered.
All in all, this mission is stacking up to be a total disaster. Should be fun!

Sorry.. I was just questioning why a sniper would take a shotgun. Nothing wrong with a shotgun, but as a sniper why wouldn't he take an assault rifle or something more similar to his strengths than the shotgun.

It's sort of like having Gordon Ramsey come out to your home to cook and because he doesn't have his own fancy kitchen to use, he skips using YOUR kitchen and uses a kiddie Bake Lite muffin oven.

As to the scenario Honestly you need to take page from Sun Tsu and change the terrain you are fighting in. He is all tucked away in the bunker, you have to give him a reason to come out whether its burn the building to the ground, back up the sewage drain from the building and pump it back into the building, nothing says **** like geysers out of the loo or use a lure he can not pass up on.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 12 2013, 07:13 PM) *
Sorry.. I was just questioning why a sniper would take a shotgun. Nothing wrong with a shotgun, but as a sniper why wouldn't he take an assault rifle or something more similar to his strengths than the shotgun.

Shotguns use longarms, the same skill as sniper rifles. Yup, one trick pony.
As to the scenario Honestly you need to take page from Sun Tsu and change the terrain you are fighting in. He is all tucked away in the bunker, you have to give him a reason to come out whether its burn the building to the ground, back up the sewage drain from the building and pump it back into the building, nothing says **** like geysers out of the loo or use a lure he can not pass up on.

So tempting... however, burning the building down may attract more heat than an all out assault. See, these guys are linked to organized crime and that's their likely first call for response...
who would rock up at the same time as the cops and fire department...
I think we just got plan G.
smile.gif
DWC
Burn down the building across the street. Slip onto the roof of the target building and shoot a KE officer while everyone is dealing with the fire. The police will storm the place and rescue your target. Then you just have to show up and con the cops into releasing him to your custody, as a family member in the area.
Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 12 2013, 07:20 AM) *
Shotguns use longarms, the same skill as sniper rifles. Yup, one trick pony.
point taken, but I would probably have leaned more to a hunting rifle still, just for the feel. Again, personally I am all about the shotgun, but it's a different feel than the sniper/hunting rifle, but I guess its down to personal taste.

So tempting... however, burning the building down may attract more heat than an all out assault. See, these guys are linked to organized crime and that's their likely first call for response...
who would rock up at the same time as the cops and fire department...
I think we just got plan G.
smile.gif

DWC above has how to follow through on the burning down option, but it is a 'hot' response so maybe not what you want.

But sewer? oooh.. better call the Don, the toilets are overflowing.

Yeah I would love to be on the other end of that call and see the Don's face. nyahnyah.gif

If an active attack will draw unwanted attention, make it look like an act of God or in this case the Department of Sanitation.

Ok, maybe not this particular idea but am sure something better can present itself.
Umidori
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 12 2013, 04:37 AM) *
point taken, but I would probably have leaned more to a hunting rifle still, just for the feel. Again, personally I am all about the shotgun, but it's a different feel than the sniper/hunting rifle, but I guess its down to personal taste.

I dunno, if you're going with slug rounds rather than shot you've essentially got a really high caliber rifle.

That said, they're breaching a compound and extracting someone. This is the perfect place for a shotgun. Sniper overwatch is fine and dandy if you're not in close quarters, but in this case the best the sniper could do was cover their entrance and their exit. Everything else happening inside, they'd be a man down. The shotgun is the way to go.

~Umi
Slide
1) Hack their refrigerator, stove, oven, and anything else that could store or fix food.
2) Wait for them to order Chinese.
3) intercept food delivery
4) Have a patsy walk in the front door with nurostun grenades in the bags.
5) Profit.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 13 2013, 02:24 AM) *
1) Hack their refrigerator, stove, oven, and anything else that could store or fix food.
2) Wait for them to order Chinese.
3) intercept food delivery
4) Have a patsy walk in the front door with nurostun grenades in the bags.
5) Profit.

PLUS you get to eat FREE Chinese since the baddies probably had to pay in advance for a delivery to that part of town. biggrin.gif
Slide
you don't even have to share with the patsy, he's probably gonna be out for awhile.
Slide
Now I'm not too sure how long you guys have to get ready for this run but there are also a few tactics that I like to use for extractions. First off this sounds like a hostile extraction. You can try to find a way to turn it into a friendly extraction.(i.e. Some form of extortion to make your mark want to leave with you.)
I often find that personnel are the weakest link in a security system. and the more people involved the more likely it is to be that there is a weak link. If they have 10 guys, what are the odds that one of them has shady past, currently is dealing novacoke, selling company secrets, has a wife, or a kid they want to protect. A little snooping by your hacker can help you find a way to turn one of his body guards into an open door into the bunker, and betray info and what not. This is a high risk/reward tactic that you have to use sparingly. If he doesn't believe you are willing to do something, or doesn't care then you pretty much just tipped them off that you are up to something.
I personally like the idea of backing up their sewer or intercepting a food delivery the best. But then again i'm not one for brute force fighting biggrin.gif
Shadow Knight
Fill sewer access closest to the place with concrete. cut the water main... Wait for them to move to a new location. No one can stay in a building with a backing up sewer and no water. They will move.
CanRay
If the room is on the ground floor, take a remote-piloted Ares RoadMaster, and back it into a window. Remote open the back doors, and let the drones inside have fun.
Nal0n
Do you have a plan of the premises?
Do you know where the target will be (or where he will move to) during the raid?
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Nal0n @ Jul 14 2013, 02:45 AM) *
Do you have a plan of the premises?
Do you know where the target will be (or where he will move to) during the raid?

negative on both so far. the fiasco took up all of last session, so all we've had time to get are basic details. We will before we go in (hopefully).
Modular Man
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 12 2013, 06:39 AM) *
Of course not. That's the troll's job.

Been there, done that, just on friday evening. To be fair, we were caught by surprise by a police squad on some ganger's turf. Then again, we weren't doing enough recon anyway...

On topic: You could bring non-lethal traps ready for immediate deployment. This way you can keep your enemies out of vital areas, e.g. your excape route(s). Non-lethal is the way because they might accidentially try to evacuate your target through the same route... It also helps to avoid collateral damage.
That said, so far this thread is really a spawn of good ideas!

How much time is there for preparations before going in? Hours, days or weeks? Even though I find the sewer tactics mentioned brilliant (and hilarious, as long as it doesn't happen to me...), it might take a up to a day...
ShadowDragon8685
You need to move on to Plan G. Or maybe Plan F: Frag it all.

Convince Knight Errant to storm the joint, get yourselves a surplus Nissan patrol-2 that still has all the trimmings except the exterior obvious ones, such that it might be a detective's vehicle, and get your Face and someone who can do "muscle" well without being the troll (sorry, troll,) great fake IDs as a Knight Errant detective and sergeant from another locality. Have your hacker slot a Knight Errant procedures chip and linguasoft and stand ready to intercept and answer convincingly any attempts to check.

Knight Errant swoops in, storms the compound, gets their people shot up attempting to get past the drones and such. Frame up one of the guards you can do some legwork on as being the real mastermind in disguise, or else somewhere in the place who isn't your target. When Knight Errant are dragging them all out, have your "Lieutenant" show up and claim your target to drag back to his home jurisdiction on some warrant or another. You may need to fake one, but that shouldn't be too hard. Hell, you don't even have to fake it; frame him up in some other jurisdiction for something heinous enough that even the Sixth World will want his ass to fry, like sexual violence against very young children or something get them to issue a real warrant for his arrest.

Then you drive him into the barrens with him restrained for you by Knight Errant. If anyone questions why you're taking him into the Barrens, remind them that he's wanted for something monumentally heinous and make a show of turning off your car's recorder. They'll get the message and won't question you further.
Rad
I like the idea of getting KE to do the job for you. Only problem is they might accidentally geek your target in the process.

But you asked for tips on breaching, so here's a few tactics that came in handy back when my team was operating out of Hong Kong:

1) Making the sewer system back up is a good idea. If you've got a guy who can do demo, rig the lines with explosives--placed so that the blast wave forces the sewage back up the pipes. The results are spectacular, and it's done wonders for my group in the past. A little legwork will get you plans for the local sewer system, and by studying those you can figure out how and where to set things up without needing to actually get on/under the target property.

After all the toilets are done geysering waste, you can pose as a cleaning crew to get access, or just grab the mark as he flees the building.

2) Freeze foam grenades are great for sealing entranceways, creating chokepoints, and generally keeping security off your back while you navigate the building. Use it on doors, hallways, guards, and elevator shafts--just be sure to bring something that will let you break it down in a hurry if you need to. Again, if you've got access to a demo guy, either on your team or as a contact, picking up some shaped charges will do you a world of good--just be sure they're facing the right way when you set 'em.

3) Set up a distraction. Whether it's a disposable spirit, those drones that can imitate the sound of a firefight, or the aforementioned hobos hopped up on K10, drawing the attention of security (and the cops) away from your team is invaluable when pulling off an extraction. If we're talking about a residential neighborhood, try paying off one (or more) of the neighbors to have a very loud, very public fight on their front lawn. Tell 'em you're a casting agent for a new reality show.

4) Dose the entire neighborhood with drugs. This is how my team successfully robbed a bank owned by Lofwyr in the middle of Hong Kong. We bought a bunch of drones and rigged them to spray a mixture of perfume and time-release hallucinogens over people as they headed in to work, making it look like an aggressive marketing campaign for the fragrance. We timed our run so that we were busting through the doors about the time the entire Hong Kong financial district lost their collective shit.

Slab *is* more effective for this, but it also tends to be more expensive, harder to get, and easier to trace. A good combo of cancerands loaded with warp is all you really need to get the job done.

Bear in mind, this is also how our team got run out of Hong Kong by military gunships, culminating in the complete destruction of Kowloon and the sinking of an aircraft carrier that was blocking the harbor, so YMMV.
Slide
Now if you are looking for actual room clearing procedures I would say that you need a minimum of 4 people. This is the short version of a RL swat entry.

4 members stack up to the door, usually 2 to a side. one "Kicks" open the door (this could be a shotty, litteral kick, or just turning the knob.) Number 2 tosses in a flash bang. Flash bang goes off and members 3 and 4 enter the room one high and one low so as to cover each other with fields of fire. They then break off and follow separate walls so as to have intersecting fields of fire, without placing each other in the line of fire. Then members 1 and 2 follow in in a similar fashion, each member prosecutes any available targets.

l
l
l4=====Intersecting field
l--------------- of fire
l
l
l
l\.... __________3_______
2..... 1

This is a rough graphic of how the members would be after breaching the door and members 3 and 4 entered the room along with the intersecting feilds of fire. Keep in mind that with properly done surprise and a flash bang that these tactics can work well in SR
kzt
The problem is that there were, before an idiot alarmed the target's security, 10 armed guys defending the target inside a hardened multi-story building, the building itself inside a large walled security perimeter. A rational assumption is either there are a lot more guys and bots inside, or the target is gone and what is left is a killing field.

So while you prepare to clear room 1 (while also being watched by the security team's building surveillance) and are hence fixed in place, the security team maneuvers against you. This assumes they need to, as they can have all sorts of goodies wired up and waiting for someone to push a button. Like sticky foam bombs above the inside of interior doorways, claymore mines in the corners, gas flooding, etc.
Slide
QUOTE (kzt @ Jul 15 2013, 04:54 AM) *
The problem is that there were, before an idiot alarmed the target's security, 10 armed guys defending the target inside a hardened multi-story building, the building itself inside a large walled security perimeter. A rational assumption is either there are a lot more guys and bots inside, or the target is gone and what is left is a killing field.

So while you prepare to clear room 1 (while also being watched by the security team's building surveillance) and are hence fixed in place, the security team maneuvers against you. This assumes they need to, as they can have all sorts of goodies wired up and waiting for someone to push a button. Like sticky foam bombs above the inside of interior doorways, claymore mines in the corners, gas flooding, etc.

I'm talking about actual room clearing tactics, might not be an entire plan, but probably something that any runner would want to know how to do properly. I completely agree attacking a strong hold head on is kinda dumb. You should go check my Chinese delivery plan. Or the one that I will highly endorse involving the sewer. In either case we could discuss how any given plan won't work till the sun goes down and be no closer to success.
ShadowDragon8685
You may just need to return Mr. Johnson's down-payment and tell him that the idiot newbie that got hitched with your team scrubbed the run and is now dead for his troubles. It sounds like the whole run's gone south.

Or, if Mr. Johnson's not the type to take his monies back and leave with little acrimony, do as the song says, take the money and run.

But if you're still at gonna, I say your best bet is to get someone who isn't on your payroll to do the whole "fighting it out with drones" shit. Hence, get Knight Errant to do the room-to-room breaching, they'll have their Matrix assets gang-bang the drones and such. Get someone whose skin isn't related to yours put their skin in the firefights, then stroll in and collect your man when they're done.
FuelDrop
Mission over. Complements on this thread, it kept us alive through a very high-risk run.

Unfortunately the target escaped. Captain idiot alerted them enough that they rigged several key rooms to blow, which really screwed us over. outside of that pretty much every aspect worked as planned.
ShadowDragon8685
I hope you've yelled at Captain Idiot sufficiently. Was he gone before you even tried to breach?
FuelDrop
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 16 2013, 08:26 AM) *
I hope you've yelled at Captain Idiot sufficiently. Was he gone before you even tried to breach?

Nah, we think it was just a brain fail. He did get a lot of grief over it, but we've had worse idiot moments in our time.
RelentlessImp
Love to hear some more details about how the run got fragged.
Slide
yes very much so, do share biggrin.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 08:35 AM) *
Love to hear some more details about how the run got fragged.

As you wish smile.gif

It was just another day in Seattle. We'd just gotten back from a little trip down Bogota way and to be honest hadn't quite got over the brute force attitude. Our trolls, the brothers Jake and Borris, decided that there was still too much heat after a stunt they pulled before we left and headed up to the Athabaskan Council for some quiet time. Likewise, our self-proclaimed Jedi Obi-Jon and our augmented faceman both decided to keep a low profile. In retrospect, I should have joined them.

Anyway, Dragoneye and myself got called in to a meet-up, along with some fresh blood. The place was some dive hidden somewhere in upper downtown, fairly quiet for the time of day, while the employer was... well, in this business it's better to keep these things confidential. Here's where we met up with the new blood, and in truth I should have started running there and then. However, the Jonson and I had enough history to keep me in place and I trusted her judgement. Not the best move, as it turned out.

Firstly there was some try-hard calling himself Link. He had the whole look going, with a lined duster and wide-brimmed fedora. Kept to the shadows in order to appear 'edgy', but it wasn't dark enough to conceal the fact he barely had two brain cells to his name. He introduced himself as a sniper, which was kind of redundant talent as that's Dragoneye's shtick, and a quick slip into the astral showed that he was an adept who dabbled with augmentation on the side.

The second guy was actually a girl. Human female, very posh. She introduced herself as Dr Quin, and said she was standing in for a friend. A quick check on the matrix showed that she was a legit surgeon, and a well connected one at that. Personally I was amazed that she had time to come down in place of this troll our J had contacted, some reclusive combat monster who went by 'Shadow'. Subtle.

The job is simple. Extract guarded target alive for questioning. He's some orc smuggler with ties to the Vory, holed up in a mansion up Everett way. J gives us air recon footage, 2 grand apiece upfront, and solid estimates on number of hostiles.

A quick discussion with the new guys revealed little about Shadow, and a lot about Link. My initial impression was right, this guy would have trouble tying his own shoelaces. In spite of this he told us that he was good at sneaking about, which makes good sense for a sniper. No-one seems to have any suggestions, so I decide to throw some ideas out. Firstly, we needed more intel. I had a plan about that, as I'd just gotten my hands on a new spell and was itching for a chance to put it through its paces. The target was fortified and heavily guarded, so an all out assault wasn't exactly a favorite option. I tasked Dragoneye with finding out how they were getting food in and out with an eye to infiltrating via their catering service, asked Dr Quin to tell Shadow to do... whatever the f*** it is he does, and set Link to see if any of the guards left the place after their shift. Bribing, threatening or impersonating a guard would give us a good way in.

So we each go our separate ways. I head home, then use my new shapechange spell to turn into a pigeon for some good old fashioned aerial recon. An improved invisibility spell on top of that was probably overkill, but I didn't have any armor sized for pigeons and getting a sucking chest wound from some bored punk with a gun and ammo to spare wasn't high on my to-do list. The first thing I noticed was that there were no birds in the compound. I circled once or twice, not sure what to make of this development, when a seagull glided too close to the building. the moment it got within a preset range a drone opened fire, shredding the unfortunate creature in a hail of bullets.

Well, there goes my plan of simply flying in.

A peek on the astral showed that both the main house and the security buildings were warded, and that watcher spirits were patrolling the perimeter. Not an unbeatable obstacle, but still a possible problem.

To be continued...
FuelDrop
Armed with the knowledge that their drones will shoot down anything that moves, I start to formulate a plan C and call the others. My initial ideas are along the lines of skeet shooters and tennis auto-servers, but Shadow volunteers to hunt down some pigeons for our distraction. It probably wasn't the best use of our assets, but I didn't know what else to do with him so I told him to go for it. Rather worryingly, Link didn't pick up when I called him.

Around four pm Link sends everyone a message, telling us that he's found a weakness in the compound and to meet him in a copse near the north-eastern corner. I don't have to tell you how suspicious that sounds, considering that it has nothing to do with his job and he failed to pick up when I called him earlier. As a quick test I messaged him back, asking if this was like last time. The one-word reply told me all I needed to know.

It's a trap.

In spite of this, Shadow insists we should go in and see what's happened. I can't really blame him on that, as we need to know what happened to Link. That doesn't mean walking into a trap sounds any better. In the end Shadow volunteers to walk in with a holo-projector to make it look like we're all there, while Dragoneye and myself provide support from the sidelines. It turns out that Shadow is pretty good at spotting tripwires, and he manages to get out without setting off any of the explosives rigged throughout the trees.

So to sum up, we're down a rookie who's alerted the target of our interest and has potentially spilled all of our plans to them. It looks like plan C is going to be our best bet after all.

Damn.
kzt
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 15 2013, 05:21 PM) *
Unfortunately the target escaped. Captain idiot alerted them enough that they rigged several key rooms to blow, which really screwed us over. outside of that pretty much every aspect worked as planned.

So it was "target is gone and what is left is a killing field"?

Did you you all live?
FuelDrop
Unsurprisingly, collecting enough birds to keep the drones distracted while we assault the compound is proving to be impractical. A couple of carefully constructed posts on shadowsea gave me a few alternative ideas, and after chatting to my fixer I'm now the proud owner of 10,000 bouncy balls. I've also managed to rope in some hired muscle for our little assault, a physical adept cyclops who's sole skill seems to be hitting things very hard. I have some ideas about that, but more later.

Dragoneye disappeared for a while and came back with some "Volunteers" to help us in our raid. Some Humanis thugs with trode nets, hot SIMs and personafixes to make them more plyable. Shadow has apparently not gotten the memo about the bouncy balls, and is busily thinning out the seagull population. Yeah, I don't think he's the sharpest knife in the draw, so we'll put him in a support role where he doesn't need to have any initiative.

While I'm well aware of the dangers of mixing different magics, the new guy's unarmed abilities and my shapechange spell have so much potential together I couldn't resist trying something. A bit of digging revealed that of all the creatures I could turn him into horses were among the most balanced in combining strength, durability and speed. After a couple of dry runs he seemed comfortable enough with his new form, and he dismissed my doubts about size by saying he'd simply kick a new hole in the wall if he runs into a narrow doorway.

Anyway, the first part of the plan works well enough. multiple breaching charges, holograms, bouncy balls, humanis thugs, what birds we'd captured... yeah, it was absolute chaos. Our drop with the balls was a bit off, but we still managed to deplete the ammunition from every drone on the eastern side of the compound and kill every sensor in the area. We enter through the side door (leading to the kitchen) and make for the staircase. Well, to be perfectly honest our behorsed one charged up while Dragoneye and myself held off the drones that still had ammunition. Between the transformation, the deflection spell I was maintaining, and his own combat sense he was able to dodge his way past several elite troopers, knocking them out with ease in the process.

Then everything went to hell. It turns out that they'd been planning on all this and had the target's office was rigged to blow while they headed for the garage. That's bad, but not insurmountable. After all, we have a horse to charge after them and kick their roadmaster to pieces, right?
Well, we would have if the garage hadn't also been rigged to blow after they left. At that point we had Knight Errant on the way, Vory reinforcements edging them out, and the target heading out in a street-going tank.

To make a long story short we got out of it alive, just, but the mission was a complete and costly failure. All because one guy made a dumbass decision and gave the game away before we'd even started.
kzt
Sometimes the right answer is "Sorry Mr Johnson, here is your money back."
ShadowDragon8685
Did you ever find out what happened to the dumbass? If these are Vory... Well, I'd be looking for his family to grab them and smuggle them to another country with new names.

Also, I love the in-character write-up. It's a pity your run was scrubbed despite your best efforts to raise truely Mechromancian proportions of anarchy, really, but honestly, who could expect them to rig their own fragging mansion to blow?

I hope the Johnson's in a forgiving mood. Or, failing that, is willing to let you try again.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 16 2013, 02:04 PM) *
Did you ever find out what happened to the dumbass? If these are Vory... Well, I'd be looking for his family to grab them and smuggle them to another country with new names.

Also, I love the in-character write-up. It's a pity your run was scrubbed despite your best efforts to raise truely Mechromancian proportions of anarchy, really, but honestly, who could expect them to rig their own fragging mansion to blow?

I hope the Johnson's in a forgiving mood. Or, failing that, is willing to let you try again.

I saved the Johnson's life recently, so I do expect some forgiveness on that score.
You want the really sad thing? I specifically told the GM I was looking for a milk run, even if it's at truly pitiful pay, SO WE COULD IDENTIFY THESE PROBLEMS BEFORE TAKING ON A TOUGH RUN WHERE THEY COULD GET SOMEONE KILLED! I think there was a miss-communication somewhere down the line.

As to the dumbass... we don't know anything about him. No real names, no family, no home address, nothing. Also, Shadow? That troll who figured it'd be cheaper to get a 6/6 contact to be his face rather than put points into having a social dice pool (he's at -2 net dp on all social skills thanks to charisma 2, paranoid, and not taking any skills. Makes you wonder how he got a 6/6 contact in the first place)? Yeah, his player was a no-show so HE was relegated to extraction/backup and I took his place on the front lines. The original plan was to have me sitting in a car maintaining a metric ton of buffs on the group and then intervening if they needed a hot extraction or the target tried to do a runner.

Well, you know what they say. The best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

EDIT: I kinda feel that the story was a bit rushed at the end. I promise I'll do better next time!
Modular Man
Awesome story!
A shame the plan went to pieces...
But I may take a few ideas for general mayhem out of this thread, too smile.gif I'll add it to my folder of Good IdeasTM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012