Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Combat Thoughts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
quentra
So, having gotten my grubby paws on SR5, I did what any respectable player would do and built a character. My concept this time around was a Mr. Lucky, seeing as I could get 8 Edge on a human pretty damn easily. This is James 'Irish Luck' McCallen, a small time courier looking to move up in the world with Mob connections.

Priority A Attributes
Priority B Skills
Priority C Metatype (Human)
Priority D Resources
Priority E -

[ Spoiler ]

Having finished my Mr. Lucky, I decided to throw a combat scenario at him. He's doing a courier job for Ares, transferring some highly secret MCT paydata in his noggin'. The Yaks figure out where he is, a shitty motel on the corners of Tacoma, and bust through the door. Irish Luck has just enough time to grab his trusty Defiance T-250 and jump behind the cheap motel bed.

[ Spoiler ]

Thoughts: First off, Edge is fucking awesome. Secondly, the tying on cover thing. Wtf. Thoughts, anyway? I'll be running the Matrix and some magic later in the week, so stay tuned!
RelentlessImp
Okay, I've seen references to tie rules, and they seem pretty geared towards defender except in cover? I guess that's because someone in cover is mostly stationary making it easier for the attacker to hit through cover on a tie or something. At least Edge refreshes quicker, but he's still gonna be eight hours of downtime before he gets a point back, though.
quentra
What's annoying about the tying rules means that you're incentivised to not be in cover and go High Noon style, if you're facing an opponent with comparable DP. Which is stupid.
kerbarian
QUOTE (quentra @ Jul 14 2013, 04:10 PM) *
What's annoying about the tying rules means that you're incentivised to not be in cover and go High Noon style, if you're facing an opponent with comparable DP. Which is stupid.

Since the 4 dice from good cover average 1.3 hits, you're slightly (0.3 hits) less likely to be hit when behind good cover than standing in the open, and when you are hit it will be for a bit less damage. Those are both minor effects, though. Using good cover isn't actively bad for you, but the benefits aren't very impressive.

Using partial cover, however, makes you *more* likely to get hit and should be avoided. Which seems like a flaw in the rules.

This is all assuming the cover doesn't have enough armor to stop the incoming bullets outright. If you can take partial cover behind a concrete pillar, that's generally still a good idea.
Makki
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 15 2013, 01:29 AM) *
At least Edge refreshes quicker, but he's still gonna be eight hours of downtime before he gets a point back, though.

laying low in safehouse for 2 days isn't uncommon. that's 6 points of Edge refreshed
Sendaz
QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 15 2013, 04:56 AM) *
laying low in safehouse for 2 days isn't uncommon. that's 6 points of Edge refreshed

And your GM can award an edge point restored for various reasons listed in the book.

This is to promote more cinematic/roleplaying/over the top fun in general. So by playing big you get big in kind.
Moirdryd
While I still think the Glancing Hit thing adds some mud to the waters of the system. I can understand the logic behind the getting hit behind cover rule. It is making the reasonable assumption that being in the open gives you more room to move but is obscuring nothing of a gunmans LOS. So no bonus but the glancing is going to rip cloth and skim the flesh.
However, if you're ducking into cover, your mobility is reduced. Sure you're harder to land the hit on(bonus dice) but if they get a bead on you that hit is more likely to go centre mass. So no glancing (a little weird yes, but I can understand the thought line). Also what you're hiding behind makes a BIG difference as anything tougher than heavy material will stop a heavy pistol or an assault rifle round dead. Of course anything lighting will only drop that DV by 1. On that note I'd be tempted to say by Grade-1 as a Houserule. (flimsy no penalty, light -1 heavy -2 etc)
forgarn
nm
Moirdryd
Unless you're in cover.
Skynet
After just rereading the part about penetrating weapons and barriers: The DV actually gets decreased by 1 per bullet, which means that autofire is less likely to penetrate cover than a single shot (because there is no DV-increase from autofire any more). Go figure.
Moirdryd
-1 for 1 bullet
-2 for 3 bullets
-3 for 6 bullets
-4 for 10 bullets

Which brings it fairly in line with the Dodge Penalties curve for getting out of the way of those bursts.
Skynet
Shame on me for reading something into it, which wasn't really there. wobble.gif
Mea culpa

I'd still prefer autofire to give at least a bit of an advantage for all that recoil and spent ammo (except for the added barrier-damage).
Moirdryd
It's certainly not an ideal rule, but it follows the "cinematic combat" concepts that seem to have been espoused in SR to a degree. We all know that peppering a door with bullets is obviously less effective should it hit than a single round popped through that door wink.gif
forgarn
QUOTE (quentra @ Jul 14 2013, 03:49 PM) *
So, having gotten my grubby paws on SR5, I did what any respectable player would do and built a character. My concept this time around was a Mr. Lucky, seeing as I could get 8 Edge on a human pretty damn easily. This is James 'Irish Luck' McCallen, a small time courier looking to move up in the world with Mob connections.

Priority A Attributes
Priority B Skills
Priority C Metatype (Human)
Priority D Resources
Priority E -

[ Spoiler ]

Having finished my Mr. Lucky, I decided to throw a combat scenario at him. He's doing a courier job for Ares, transferring some highly secret MCT paydata in his noggin'. The Yaks figure out where he is, a shitty motel on the corners of Tacoma, and bust through the door. Irish Luck has just enough time to grab his trusty Defiance T-250 and jump behind the cheap motel bed.

[ Spoiler ]

Thoughts: First off, Edge is fucking awesome. Secondly, the tying on cover thing. Wtf. Thoughts, anyway? I'll be running the Matrix and some magic later in the week, so stay tuned!

What quality did you take that make you take a would penalty for 2 dmg? It is every 3 unless you have something that lowers that (like low pain threshold, etc)
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (forgarn @ Jul 15 2013, 11:47 AM) *
What quality did you take that make you take a would penalty for 2 dmg? It is every 3 unless you have something that lowers that (like low pain threshold, etc)

That or he assumed that any mark on that row gave the -1 and the next row gave -2 at box 4.
quentra
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 15 2013, 01:51 PM) *
That or he assumed that any mark on that row gave the -1 and the next row gave -2 at box 4.

That, that's how I ran SR4 wounds as well. Minor thing, anyway, 1 dice wouldn'tve mattered much either way.

QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Jul 15 2013, 01:29 PM) *
It's certainly not an ideal rule, but it follows the "cinematic combat" concepts that seem to have been espoused in SR to a degree. We all know that peppering a door with bullets is obviously less effective should it hit than a single round popped through that door wink.gif

Apparently. It would be nice for a bit of consistency. Regardless, one more thing to house rule.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012