Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An SR5 actual game report
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Psikerlord
Great post OP, I'd like to know what happens.

Not sure about the quickdraw grenade thing, doesnt seem to apply on my reading. There used to be a rule i think in SR4 about picking up skittering, bouncing grenades, what happened to that? I imagine you could catch and throw back a grenade with a readied action too (taking the risk of it blowing up in your hand!)?

The bit abuot the brawler and kicking the gun out of the dude's hand makes me want to play an adept, hahaha!

Aaron
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jul 23 2013, 10:54 AM) *
Yes, data spike. He had 1 or 2 Marks on his rifle already, so he got like 3 net hits, base damage 5, +4 from the marks, so one-shot bricking. That impressed got the Player hacker's attention, by the way. The sniper has not shared with the rest of the team the fact he has powerful Enemies, so the hacker asked him "just who the fuck did you piss off?"

Technically it was a two- or three-shot bricking, assuming the marks weren't invited, ne?
cndblank
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 23 2013, 04:07 PM) *
Here's the trick: That Neo-@ hacker doesn't get to just keep making rolls until he succeeds. Every time he fails, he's getting marked or eating unresisted Matrix damage. You'd have to be a pretty ballsy decker, or a seriously skilled one, just to try. And with limits in play, he's doubly relying on his being lucky and the other guy being unlucky at the same time. Really, it all depends on what the benefits of running the helicopter wirelessly even are... Remote operation is about all I can think of.

It would have to be some bonus, to risk someone taking remote control of the aircraft.

Nothing says he can't sign off, reboot, and log back on some where near by.

For that matter is the hacker even on the matrix if he is trying to take over or brick a wireless device directly?

Looking at Rainbows and Rooftops fiction before the matrix section, the decker is on the matrix and keeping an eye on her Over-watch Score.

But I got one question.

Why would a military grade transport Chopper ( Nissan Hound) have an ejection system that could be remotely locked down?
So you can remotely make the captain go down with his chopper?
Why would an ejection system even be on the matrix?
Wouldn't you be afraid someone could remote in and eject your rigger?
Shouldn't an emergency ejection system have a manual override?
Aaron
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jul 23 2013, 11:03 PM) *
For that matter is the hacker even on the matrix if he is trying to take over or brick a wireless device directly?

You mean he's connected via a cable? That's the only direct connection in SR5 that I've seen.
Blhaze
Wonderful post; I am going to be running my first SR5 game this weekend and I feel inspired by your work.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 23 2013, 11:35 PM) *
Technically it was a two- or three-shot bricking, assuming the marks weren't invited, ne?

Oh, well, he did some Hack-On-the-Fly beforehand to get Marks, but that wasn't noticed. Then - BAM - spiked it.
Aaron
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jul 24 2013, 05:51 AM) *
Oh, well, he did some Hack-On-the-Fly beforehand to get Marks, but that wasn't noticed. Then - BAM - spiked it.

Nice.
Patrick Goodman
This was so much fun to read...thanks, Backgammon!
Skynet
So.. If the hacker already had 2 marks on the rifle/smartgun, couldn't he just wait until he eventually has one of his (the snipers) teammates in his sights and trigger a shot? (Probably only an option if the fighting had not startet yet.)

I'd not know what to roll for though (since it's only relying on chance/opportunity).
Remnar
QUOTE (Skynet @ Jul 24 2013, 10:30 AM) *
So.. If the hacker already had 2 marks on the rifle/smartgun, couldn't he just wait until he eventually has one of his (the snipers) teammates in his sights and trigger a shot? (Probably only an option if the fighting had not startet yet.)

I'd not know what to roll for though (since it's only relying on chance/opportunity).

Why on earth would a sniper ever put his teammates under his gunsite? That's like.. rule 1 of firearms handling; never point it at anything you don't want to kill.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Remnar @ Jul 24 2013, 02:37 PM) *
Why on earth would a sniper ever put his teammates under his gunsite? That's like.. rule 1 of firearms handling; never point it at anything you don't want to kill.

Maybe if the hacker also spoofed a message from the sniper's girlfriend to pop up on his AR telling him she was dumping him for this buddy on the ground? biggrin.gif
saiyanslayer
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jul 24 2013, 12:03 AM) *

You're both still on a grid. Any illegal activity generates OS with RAW.
Redjack
QUOTE (saiyanslayer @ Jul 24 2013, 12:46 PM) *
You're both still on a grid. Any illegal activity generates OS with RAW.
At this point you could simply log off of the grid.
Remnar
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 24 2013, 10:44 AM) *
Maybe if the hacker also spoofed a message from the sniper's girlfriend to pop up on his AR telling him she was dumping him for this buddy on the ground? biggrin.gif

Brilliant!!
Godwyn
QUOTE (Remnar @ Jul 24 2013, 06:37 PM) *

They are not in his target, it is in his general field of view since he has an overall look at the battlefield. Especially if he is providing cover fire for them from opposition that is nearby.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Remnar @ Jul 24 2013, 01:37 PM) *

I am pretty sure he meant that the opfor hacker would wait until the Player sniper had an opfor runner in his sights to brick it.

And, well, this is exactly what he did. The opfor wants to capture the sniper to bring him back to the Fallen in Quebec. The Fallen has accumulated some information about the sniper and his friends, but visibility isn't perfect. The opfor runners don't really know what to expect. They didn't want to outright show themselves and negotiate. They figure they might just get shot, and they like being alive. So they positionned and sent a Watcher spirit to do some of the talking. That didn't work out so well, but they didn't expect much. As soon as combat began - and not before - the opfor hacker bricked the sniper's rifle. At this point (and this is what will happen next game) the opfor runners just hope to beat the Player runners into submission, and then try for another round of negotiations. They aren't dumb, killing the entire team but somehow keeping the sniper alive is a tall order. If things don't work out, they are going to pull back and try again later. They will be patient. They will not throw away their lives, and ultimately they are pretty sure they can cut a deal eventually, so they also don't want to piss off the player runners too much either (shooting at them is just business, nothing personal)

Besides, from a GM perspective, this is just a sideshow. The runners still need to get on with the actual mission and they have a LOT of shit heading their way later on.
cndblank
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Jul 24 2013, 02:11 PM) *
They are not in his target, it is in his general field of view since he has an overall look at the battlefield. Especially if he is providing cover fire for them from opposition that is nearby.

A separate online gun camera could do that with having to have your smartgun connected to the matrix.
Likely wouldn't even take up a slot on the weapon (side mount on the barrel maybe?

I bet you could slave the gun camera to the smartgun with a one way feed so that the gun camera would match what ever commands (Zoom, focus, vision enhancement) were given to the smartgun.
Redjack
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jul 24 2013, 04:23 PM) *
Likely wouldn't even take up a slot on the weapon (side mount on the barrel maybe?
While I agree in concept, we do not yet have weapon modification rules, correct?
Backgammon
Another game last night.

So, the continued scene with the Opfor Shadowrunners bogged down a little bit, taken longer that I would have liked, but overall the combat rules still feel fluid. The opfor street sammy covering the PC Troll and sniper kept them pinned down, initially missing. The PC Troll switched to his grenade launcher, but the first shot went wide. The sammy returned fire and hit the Troll square in the chest with APDS rounds, causing 8P and knowcing the Troll down. However, the sammy caught a Glitch, so I had him reload his gun, and change position.

Meanwhile, the PC Adept is having a fight with an opfor Gun Adept by some bamboo scaffolding. The opfor Gun Adept tries to riddle the PC Adept with bullets while the PC Adept smashes the scaffolding, trying to make the opfor runner fall. This actually stays in a stalemate the entire combat, neither being able to hit/hurt the other. However, the advantage goes the PC, as all that knocked down scaffolding forces the Gun Adept to retreat back inside the building and change position.

At the other end of the battlefield, the PC Elf, who if you remember narrowly dodged the shotgun of a opfor Troll Bounty Hunter, does one of the smartest things I've seen a player do, and surrenders. She actually rolls Performance to make it stick. The Troll goes for it and spends a few turns securing her. As the PC Face put it, the Troll is effectively out of combat for a few turns, which is by far the best result the Face could get.

So things come to a head as the PC Troll sammy gets back on his feet, waits till the opfor sammy pops back out, and land a grenade launcher shot square on him. Boom. But, the Troll lifts the PC Face as a human shield and orders everyone to drop their weapons. After some hesitation, everyone complies, and in a surprising move, the PC Sniper offers to come quietly if they let her go. Things are tense as the Sniper approaches. The Troll lets the Elf go, and they cross as the Sniper comes towards the Troll. As they cross, the Face sees the glint in the Sniper's eyes, and cries out "No! Don't do it!".

Ensues a Surprise test. The PC team does well, everyone passing, while the Opfor don't do so well. The Sniper reaches out for a knife and lunges at the Troll Bounty Hunter, attempting to disarm him. Copious Edge is rolled, but he fails to disarm. The PC Adept charges in, while the PC Troll sammy launches a grenade at the Opfor Gun Adept who had positioned himself in a support position. Boom goes the Gun Adept. The Troll attempts to fight everyone else, but the combined might of the sniper (who is very handy with a knife) and the PC Adept is too much. The Adept finishes the Troll with a Killing Hand jab to the throat, opening up the Troll's artery. He slumps to the ground, blood gurgling out of his mouth.

This "distraction" done with, the team resumes their quest for the Coin of Luck. However, the Sniper is freaked out about the counter. The Troll Bounty Hunter had told him that his Uncle was the one who sent them. Now, the Sniper believes his Uncle is an evil man that wiped out his entire family and is now trying to kill him. In fact, it is the Fallen, which are alse interested in the Sniper and who have ceaselessly deformed the truth about the Sniper's past that had hired the runners. But, the Sniper believe his Uncle found him, and so, in a panic, turns to the Fallen and gives them his coordinates and tells them to come get him. The Fallen are delighted by the turn of events their lies have created, but, well, they don't really have anyone in the area. They can't damn well send the same runner teeam that just attacked. So they say they'll need a few hours to get agents to him.

Meanwhile, the team progresses. Their spirit guide tells them the Coin of Luck is in yonder dilapidated 1930's building. The team warily enters the building, and are greated by strange residents who are obsessed with "collecting all the treasures". The treasures are pieces of twine, rocks, etc. Junk. The runners warily check things out, and gather there is a "king" on the top floor. They head over there, and find one giant room with huge double doors. The Face and Sniper (the latter feeling bad about the whole hostage thing earlier, so he says he wants to protect the Face) enter the room, and meet The (Yama) King. An incredibly corpulant Greater Deamon of Nurgle kind of guy. The King greets them in a friendly matter and immediately offers them the Coin of Luck, explaining it "alter's one fate". The sniper takes it, and immediately discover a Sniper Plasma Rifle. The Yama King warns though that losing the coin is far worse, and, indeed, when the sniper hands it to the Face, he discovers all of his gear immediately rusts and crumbles to uselessness. The rest of the team becomes similarly affected. Whomever holds the coin gets an incredibly boost in power and might, but as soon as the coin passes to someone else, the player degrades to shit. The Yama King says there is only one way to beat the curse, and that is by collecting all the "treasures" in the building.

I'm delighted to say the Players kind of go for it. If there's one thing players understand, it's rules like that. In reality, this is all an illusion. The Yama King did not give them the coin of luck. He is simply maintaining all of this as a complex illusion. But, the players really aren't sure. Things seem to make sense. They started hashing out plans to collect all the "treasures" in the building, to the great plasure of the Yama King. They figure, of course, that they could attack the Yama King, but he hasn't been mean with them, and they figure that, with their equipement rotten, only 1 person would have the correct gear to fight him at a time, so they aren't sure about that. Maybe collecting the treasure IS the best thing to do... MUAHAHAHAHHA.

We left it at there for the night. What should happen next game is, at some point, they'll attack the Yama King, discovering everything is a lie. Their equipement will function just the same as it always has, neither super nor crappy. In theory they should be able to defeat the Yama King, though it'll be quite a fight, and then find the REAL Coin of Luck, and move on to the next phase of the mission. To be continued....
Backgammon
Been a little while, and in fact I'm skipping ahead, but last night we had quite a combat scene.

So, fast forward, the runners now have the Coin of Luck and, hunted by [i]the entirety[i] of the Red Dragon Associates Triad in Hong Kong, went to ground in a warded brothel in an effort to stay low. The toll sammy promptly Critical Glitched his Alcohol Addiction resistance test, and went on a scotch-drinking orgy and that's the last the team saw of him for 24 hours. Rest of the team bunkered down in a 10k VIP package of booze, whores and warded bedrooms.

In the morning, the offers for the Coin started pouring in, every one trying a "sugar" rather than "stick" approach. Sharon something-something, wife of Wuxing's CEO, made an offer for 500k Nuyen. Then the Great Dragon Lung made an unspecified offer of "lavishing them with gifts" but with a clear undertone that the runner certainly would give him the coin if they new what is good for them. Lastly, the runner's original employer, Wuxing's CEO, repeated his original offer.

The team made things easy for me and decided to cleverly say "yes" to everyone, and told them all to meet at the same place, at the same time (the mission as written has this happen anyway, so I had no objections)

The runners arriver first on an abandonned beach outside Hong Kong. They set up in good positions. Lung's Triads were the first to arrive, 3 boats with 15 guys. Talks started, the Face basically buying time. Sharon's team then made their entrance, coming in hard in a helicopter laying down suppressive fire into the amassed Triads while a heavily armed-and-armoured strike team (they have 28 dice to soak damage, for fuck's sake) rappelled down and started moping up the Triads.

So, at this point, the runners actually decided to give the coin to Sharon, so they open fire on the Triads as well. Casualties are initially light.

Not long into the fight, however, things change. The third party, Wuxing's CEO, sends a party of 3 Spirits. One materializes right next to the Sniper, one in front of the Face (who is running to safety) and one inside a ficherman's hut, where the team Mage is slinging spells from.

Things get a little dicey from this point on. The mage gets Engulfed by the fire elemental, and sadly, that's it for him. He burns to a crisp. Then the hut burns down around him. Uh oh.

The Troll, who is using his favourite toy, the Grenade Launcher, lobbing round after round into the Triads, finally learns that being Threat #1 is not always good as he takes 10DV from a manabolt and goes flying off his feet. He's a little more quiet after that.

The Face does extremely well and one-shot kills the spirit in front of her using her trusty mono-whip. Nobody expected that and we're all impressed, but she promptly simply resumes running away from combat.

The Sniper gets stuck in the fight against his Spirit. He realizes the danger he is in, and uses copious Edge. He manages to avoid all damage, and even point-blank shoots the spirit, dealing an enormous amount of damage, but not killing it. The fire elemental finishes torching the hut and comes help in the combat against the Sniper. Now, it doesn't look too good for the sniper.

At this point, however, the Hacker detects an incoming vehicule. He can't detect exactly what it is, but he figures at this point, one more party is the last thing they need, so he attempts to Spike it. His first hint this is incoming trouble is when his 6-success Spike fails to do any damage. His second hint is then he realizes it moved 300 meter in a combat turn. He promptly abandons ship, jumping out of the car he's hiding in and heading for the bushes, having learned a previous lessons that attack crafts turn cars to slag pretty quickly.

So, when we left off, the mage is dead, the Troll is severly injured, the Triads on the beach are almost all dead, Sharon's Strike Squad is doing well, securing the beach, the Sniper, who HAS THE COIN, is being sandwchiched by two spirits, and the vehicule the hacker detects turns out to be... a LAV coming in hot, packing the Bounty Hunting team, injured and angry as fuck from their last encounter with the team, here to capture the Sniper.

TUM TUM TUUUUUMM....
Chrome Head
A very good read. Keep posting more updates as they come along! smile.gif
binarywraith
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jul 23 2013, 10:23 AM) *
Partially yes, but also, I wasn't sure the RIFLE could be bricked. You can only brick Matrix Devices, right? The rifle *itself* is not a matrix device, is it? I mean, for example, if you take a revolver without a smartlink, there's nothing to brick - it's already fully mechanical. So killing the smartlink seemed to be the limit of what could be done. I think maybe I could have been more cruel and said a smartlink modification is so invasive that if it's disabled the gun can no longer fire until the smartlink is taken out, but, yes, that'd be a little mean towards the Player.

That would make sense.

The rules do not support sense.

We all know that firing a cocked rifle is just a mechanical catch letting lose of a tensioned spring to let the firing pin slam forward.

Apparently physics are hackable via wireless. rotfl.gif
RHat
Non-throwback firearms do have wireless functionality, specifically this functionality mimics much of the action economy of a smartlink.
mrslamm0
This sounds like you have an awesome game going, with some great players. I am curious though, how did you convert them? Did you use the conversion guide? Or did you just rebuild them and added the karma gained from privous editions? My group and I are still on SR4 but are pondering jumping to 5, we just have a lot of old chars we have played over the years and wanted to bring them along for the ride of the new edition.
Dolanar
rebuilding old characters from SR4 can be complicated, I rebuilt my main character & had to change so much that he barely looks like the same character.
Backgammon
QUOTE (mrslamm0 @ Sep 26 2013, 09:08 PM) *
This sounds like you have an awesome game going, with some great players. I am curious though, how did you convert them? Did you use the conversion guide? Or did you just rebuild them and added the karma gained from privous editions? My group and I are still on SR4 but are pondering jumping to 5, we just have a lot of old chars we have played over the years and wanted to bring them along for the ride of the new edition.

We rebuilt. We switched over before the conversion guide became available, so it wasn't really even an option. Qualities were the biggest problem. Everyone had stuff from sourcebooks that isn't in SR5, so that had to change quite a bit. We house ruled in some stuff, just to keep character personalities constant. One player elected to switch characters entirely. Only the Face faced some gear problems, but they weren't big deals so we moved on.

I recommend making the switch, even if it's a little painful in character changes. I can't get enough of the new matrix and combat runs much faster now.
Odsh
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Sep 24 2013, 07:16 AM) *
At this point, however, the Hacker detects an incoming vehicule.

Did you make a secret matrix perception test for him to see if he would notice the incoming vehicle, or was he actively scanning for nodes around him?
Backgammon
Our hacker has a very good sense of paranoia. So, the encounter with the Triads and Wuxing and all that was occuring on an isolated beach outside of Hong Kong. Taking no risks, the Hacker place TWO commlinks configured to emit signal jamming on his team mates, effectively creating a static bubble over the entire beach. That meant the team couldn't communicate (over the matrix), but they accepted that, as most of the team had overlapping "eyes on" over each other anyway.

With the beach party (hah) secured, the hacker sat in the car on the road on a ridge overlooking the beach about 150 meters away, outside the jamming bubble, and proceeded to actively scan for anything coming in. This is the advantage of the secluded area - traffic would be uncommon and anything coming in would be suspect.

So, he was indeed actively scanning when the LAV came within range. It was pretty funny. He rolled a first test, and came up empty. He considered in, and declared WHATEVER it was, he was going to spike it. If it was just a random person driving by, then that's fine, he'd crash the car's node and stop the person from driving into a firefight anyway, right? And they had no allies, so anyone coming in wasn't going to be positive, so fuck it.

But when his 6 spike succeses came up empty and the thing advanced by 300 meters in 1 turn, he had a distinctive look of worry on his face. Previously, the team had faced a rather nasty encounter with a jet drone firing a minigun at them. It had 1 shot destroyed a car in their convoy - luckily this happened to be a decoy car. It had taken the team every thing they had - ending with the mage casting a Physical Barrier spell in front of the drone's projected flight path - to crash it and stop them all from being gunned down. He remembered that well, and his first course of action was to thus get the fuck out of the car before doing anything else.

It so happens this LAV isn't armed, but they don't know that. The runners inside are plenty armed and angry, though.
Dolanar
yeah, lets not discuss gear problems, my sniper in SR4 has a 200k sniper rifle at creation...can't do that very easily in SR5.
Backgammon
Well I hand-waved it for our Sniper, cause what's a sniper without his rifle. But yeah, it's a bit of an issue.
Dolanar
well they have some decent rifles in the core book right now, the one I picked up for my rebuild was about 2-3p stronger than my 200k rifle (but my rifle for my SR4 sniper was designed to get into ANYWHERE, I mean full briefcase auto breakdown, ceramic/plasteel components at max level etc.)
mrslamm0
Yeah I figured there would have to be a lot of hand waving to convert chars over. I am surprised no one mentioned the bioware cyber thing. I know for heavy cybered chars that will be a prob. I thought I saw either here or another SR forum that people were trying to convert things over from the SR4 splat books untill SR5 splat books arrive. Not sure how well that works though or its worth the trouble. With the priority system im not sure if alt meta type could be used yet but eh im probably geting ahead of myself. Love the story cant wait to hear more =)
Backgammon
Another game last night. We basically spent the evening wrapping up the beach scene.

So, the LAV and its team of shadowrunners, here to capture the Sniper alive, opened fire on the Spirits in melee with the Sniper but their fire proved pretty much useless. The Sniper managed to combat-shoot the Force 6 Earth Elemental, making it explode in a shower of fine grit. Meanwhile, the Face managed to scramble up the little hill and join in, using her monowhip to one-shot kill the Fire elemental. This is going to be a recurring theme for tonight's game, as we will see.

Meanwhile, on the beach, the Adept (who out of game had been proclaiming loudly he was gonna kill the Grenade Launcher Troll all week) goes for the Troll, ready to knock some enraged sense into him. However, this is where the Troll's critical glitch on his booze bender last week at the brothel came into play. A bright shield of light enveloped the critically wounded Troll, and an angel-like female being declared in a soft voice "Do not fear, husband, I will protect you". So, yeah. Turns out the Troll, in a drunken haze, married a free spirit of man and now has wedding vows in Enochian tattooed on his back. The Troll didn't do much for the rest of the game, pretty much being confused and still pretty severly wounded.

Back to the Sniper, immediately following the destruction of the Spirits, the sniper turns around and kills ones of the runner's hanging out of the LAV's back door. The runners had been holding fire till now because it's a confused situation as to wether or not the Sniper is hostile or not. No more. The remaining shadowrunner crew open fire, severely (but not killing) the Sniper. At this point, I also realized mages really got nerfed in 5th. I though manaball and stunbolt were still Force + hits damage. But no. It's just Net Hits damage. Woooah. Anyway, had to adjust myself a bit. So, Sniper goes down, but Face - well, turns out the Face has a lot of rage inside of her.

She rolls athletics and jumps into the back of the LAV (who is really close to the ground at this point) and uses her monowhip to instantly slice in half the remaining sammy. She dodges a fireball aimed at her by the combat mage, absorbs a tiny bit of stunbolt, and then slices the mage in half. She then runs up to the cockpit. Inside is the sole remaining opfor Shadowrunner, the decker. The decker (who had been battling the player decker - I'll get back to that) switches his attention. He's got mere moments before the Face and her monowhip reach him. So, first her Matrix Perceives her hidden node. Easy. Then he Brute Forces a Mark on her monowhip. And then he uses a Spoof command to tell the whip to retract. Face stares at her whip with a puzzled look (she is clueless about technology). She reached the cockit, just as the decker jacks out, scrambling for his sidearm. The Face calmly levels her gun at him and shoots him twice, ending his life, and ending the combat.

Prior to this climax, in Matrix space, the opfor Decker hacked the hovering Wuxing support heli and caused it to crash. Then, the Player Decker began an assault on the LAV's node. He managed an excellent Hack-on-the-Fly on it, gaining a mark. Unfortunately, he failed on his follow up attempt, thus alerting the opfor decker. The opfor Decker proceeded to ramp up another 3 Marks on the Player Decker. At this point, the player is sweating bullets as the two duke it out. The Player attempts several times to Erase Mark, to no avail, while the opfor Decker chooses this time to start rolling badly and fails to Spike him to oblivion. Finally, the Player decker has enough of fighting on the retreat, and jacks out of the Matrix, abandonning the field to the opfor Decker. Who, back in our timeline, then hacks up the Face right before getting shot to death.

The players conclude the deal with the remaining strike team members from Sharon of Wuxing's team. They end up with 120k payment each for the Coin of Luck and safe passage to Geneva, and a safehouse for a month. The Decker also crubbed the LAV for info, and thus learned quite a bit about the Sniper's problems... information he plans on using, shall we say, wisely.

So, highlight of the night was really the scene with the Face rampaging through the runners, ending with the climatic turn-by-turn fight with the Decker and calmly double-tapping him. Very cinematic. Gameplay wise, I continue to be super pleased with the Matrix action. The duel between the two deckers was a tense and strategic roll-off battle. I really think it's the game's strongest suit right now. There were definately some questions that came up as to the deckers' abilities to hack and LAV and helicopter - seems SUPER powerful. We kind of went with it, but I think we'll need to consider what to do about this carefully in the future.
Lobo0705
"There were definately some questions that came up as to the deckers' abilities to hack an LAV and helicopter - seems SUPER powerful. We kind of went with it, but I think we'll need to consider what to do about this carefully in the future."

That's why (for now, maybe they'll add something in the vehicle book) - I don't have NPCs who are in flying vehicles move around with the wireless on their vehicles on.

It just seems too far fetched that a corp would be sending a strike team into a firefight, even with a decker covering them, but all it takes is ONE lucky (or just skilled) shot by the player's decker and your multi-million-nuyen asset (including the cost of the vehicle and runners inside) just went boom.
RHat
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 8 2013, 05:50 AM) *
"There were definately some questions that came up as to the deckers' abilities to hack an LAV and helicopter - seems SUPER powerful. We kind of went with it, but I think we'll need to consider what to do about this carefully in the future."

That's why (for now, maybe they'll add something in the vehicle book) - I don't have NPCs who are in flying vehicles move around with the wireless on their vehicles on.

It just seems too far fetched that a corp would be sending a strike team into a firefight, even with a decker covering them, but all it takes is ONE lucky (or just skilled) shot by the player's decker and your multi-million-nuyen asset (including the cost of the vehicle and runners inside) just went boom.

Ares Dragon: 355k. Can be lost to an extremely lucky shot from a highly intelligent and highly skilled person with very, very expensive gear.

Fully Augmented HTR Badass: Delta WR2 (372.5k), Beta Muscle Aug/Toner 4 (378k), Beta BDA4 (30k), Beta Orthoskin 4 (36k) [and other, lower cost augs], Crockett EBR w/ Internal Smartlink (20.6k) [and other, less expensive weapons] Full Body Armour w/ Full helmet, Chem seal, Environmental Adaptation (9.5k) [and various other stuff. Total: 846.6k. Can be lost to: Any idiot with a gun.

For reference, there is exactly 1 multi-million dollar aircraft printed so far, and that's the Banshee. The rest are cheaper than that HTR guy. Plus, if you slave the aircraft to something with a sufficiently badass firewall, and you're pretty much good (see: Rating 12 host). Besides, I don't buy for a second that they want to bother with a physically present pilot, when it's so much more logistically efficient to have remotely jumped in riggers.
Backgammon
Last night we moved on to the next mission from Corporate Intrigue, set in Geneva (which, for those who don't know, is a broken down Matrix dead-zone nobody understands). This mission is pretty calm and tame compared to the last couple of ones, so nothing extraordinary going on. The group is contact by Puck to find a certain Dissonant Technomancer hiding in the city. The first half is just some light legwork, little bit of raw Roleplaying.

The action sequence hit when the group has to storm a warehouse where they think the target is hiding. The target is defended by several LMG-equiped, Sprite controlled drones, along with a Feral AI providing support.

Now, clearly, SR5 doesn't have rules for AIs. So, I had to adapt. I kind of went with the AI being a Force 7 device. Turns out that was maybe a little too heavy-handed. The AI bricked 3 guns, and nearly killed both Puck and the team Hacker with bio-feedback laced Spikes, while I sumltaneously discovered Technomancers really do much better as support roles (buff/debuff) than attackers. So, I had to fudge the rolls to prevent a AI rampaging and killing Puck and the HAcker and totally disabling the other runners.

As it was, with my judicious fudging, it ended up being a good challenge. Lots of wounds all around, but mission accomplished. Of course, the warehouse raid only gave them a trail to the NEXT location, and now they are wounded and damaged. So, challenge isn't over yet.

One highlight of the game is the Adept Brawler finally picking revenge on the Grenade-launching Troll by smacking him hard while they were reconning the warehouse, giving him a nice 4S lesson. It almost escalated but the other team members seperated them. It all happened pretty cool in-game.
Backgammon
Finished up the mission last night. Pretty straightforward, really. The team, needing to gain entry into Geneva's guarded Exterritorial Business Zone, after some discussion, decide to send the Face to talk to the doctor friend they made at the Red Cross outpost. The Face, as Faces do, rolls shitloads of successes. We translate that as the Face showing the Doctor the evidence they have that an evil Technomancer plans on destroying the Geneva Grid in a Most Horrible Way, and the Doctor fully gets onboard. He tells the runners to hide into a supply truck while it passes the checkpoint, so the team gets in without hassle. All agree that this worked out much better then the other plans being considered, namely "go into the sewers and hope it connect and we don't get eaten" or "jump over the wall with some team members have pitiful athletics".

The team quickly make their way to the target building. The team Hacker, assisted by Puck, do a run against the building Host to determine the location of the server room. First time we do a run against a Host, so a bit of page flipping. Basically, there isn't that much to go on until the Matrix sourcebook comes out. But, anyway, we manage. It all goes pretty well until they CRITICALLY GLITCH editing a file to insert themselves as authorized users. After some thought, I decide that to them everything appears fine. But, in reality, they have now just warned the bad guy they are coming in. So, bad guys set ambush.

Team walks into gigantic, multi-level cylindrical server room. Right into awaiting bad guys. Ensue very bitter gunfight. Final tally:
Troll, out with 16P of damage
Adept, out with 13P of damage
Face: 1P damage
Hacker: 8P damage
Sniper: Out with 11P damage

So, quite a bloody battle, with everyone completely using all Edge. As a GM, you call that a successful game smile.gif

So, they manage to defeat everyone, but then the UN security forces troop in and arrest everyone. They are in no shape to defend themselves. so have no choice but to get captured. We end there

Now comes the fun part - what will the UN do? On one hand, they did a great deed and saved the city grid, which they will be thankful for. On the other, they are Shadowrunners. Now, add to this mix the fact the Sniper's teammates have sold him out to both parties out hunting him. Plus, the Troll's Free Spirit wife (that's right) had to pop her head out to help, so it turns out a powerful mage looking for her has been able to track her.

So... while they are sitting in jail cells, all of their stories are converging... Should be very interesting.
DMiller
Hmm, sounds to me like the UN needs a favor, off the books of course. devil.gif
RHat
QUOTE (DMiller @ Nov 6 2013, 08:58 PM) *
Hmm, sounds to me like the UN needs a favor, off the books of course. devil.gif

If you REALLY want to be evil, maybe they need to get some people out of Asamando after the events of Storm Front...
Backgammon
Yeah I'm thinking of creating a UN NPC that'll act as johnson for the next mission. The next one is this incredibly hellish mission in Bogoto from Corporate Intrigue. Having the UN send them them - possible pro-bono to be especially ESPECIALLY evil - might be interesting.

But first I have to deal with Ares and The Fallen both coming for the Sniper, as well as a deluded, annoying Indian billionaire proposing to the Face and her reaction to such a horror, plus a high-powered mage - let's make it interesting, a member of the Black Lodge - coming to claim back his escaped pet spirit that is now the Troll's wife.

Such evils to visit upon my players... MUAHAHAHAHAHAH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012