Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rapid Healing Power (Adept)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
This power adds its rating to your body for the purposes of natural healing, or to the dicepool of the healer if you are receiving healing from someone else.

Does this mean that when healing physical damage naturally (bodyX2) you're getting twice your rating in bonus dice?
SpellBinder
Certainly looks like it to me. Probably not the intent, but certainly looks like how it's written.
HugeC
If that's true, then you can't get more than +4 Body out of the power due to augmentation limits, right? So maximum +8 dice on healing physical damage naturally.
Shortstraw
Mystic adept will get this for healing drain.
DrZaius
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 28 2013, 08:44 PM) *
Certainly looks like it to me. Probably not the intent, but certainly looks like how it's written.

Well- I'm not sure on intent. I think you have to factor in the opportunity cost of spending 0.5 PP on an ability used to recover from wounds, rather than cause them. That said, here's a fun thought experiment.

"My body is a temple!", Human Adept
Magic 7 (However that's done in chargen)
Natural Body 6, +4 from Improved Attribute (4 PP)
Rapid Healing 6 (3 PP)
Willpower 5

Recovering from Stun damage is a Body (10+6) + Willpower (5) (1 Hour) extended test. Assuming 1 hit per 3 dice, this adept heals approximately 7 boxes of stun damage per hour of rest.

Recovering from Physical damage is a Body x2 (32) (1 day) extended test. Again assuming 1 hit per 3 dice, this adept will heal approximately 11 boxes of physical damage per day of rest.

Now imagine he was a Troll....

-DrZ
Draco18s
Now imagine that they're a vampire.
HugeC
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 29 2013, 09:58 AM) *
Well- I'm not sure on intent. I think you have to factor in the opportunity cost of spending 0.5 PP on an ability used to recover from wounds, rather than cause them. That said, here's a fun thought experiment.

"My body is a temple!", Human Adept
Magic 7 (However that's done in chargen)
Natural Body 6, +4 from Improved Attribute (4 PP)
Rapid Healing 6 (3 PP)
Willpower 5

Recovering from Stun damage is a Body (10+6) + Willpower (5) (1 Hour) extended test. Assuming 1 hit per 3 dice, this adept heals approximately 7 boxes of stun damage per hour of rest.

Recovering from Physical damage is a Body x2 (32) (1 day) extended test. Again assuming 1 hit per 3 dice, this adept will heal approximately 11 boxes of physical damage per day of rest.

Now imagine he was a Troll....

-DrZ

Except that if Rapid Healing is actually increasing Body, then it doesn't stack with Improved Attribute or even itself past rating 4.
Stahlseele
adds it's rating to for the purpose of, nowhere does it say that the attribute is actually changed right?
HugeC
Well, it says, "Add +1 die per level to your Body for Healing Tests." We can't have it both ways; either it is increasing Body (and therefore we get double the effect for healing physical damage naturally, but a maximum benefit of +4) or it isn't.
DrZaius
QUOTE (HugeC @ Jul 29 2013, 10:48 AM) *
Well, it says, "Add +1 die per level to your Body for Healing Tests." We can't have it both ways; either it is increasing Body (and therefore we get double the effect for healing physical damage naturally, but a maximum benefit of +4) or it isn't.

Ah. So reading it in that light, it caps at 10 as well. I think the ideal then would be to have body 4, rapid healing 6; you get your 10 body (20 dice) for long term healing checks, but all First Aid and Heal spells ALSO get a +6 dice modifier; making it so that you have less damage to heal down to begin with.

-DrZ
HugeC
It caps at +4 modifier to Body, no matter what your Body happens to be. From page 94: "First, when purchasing augmentations such as cyberware and bioware, each attribute rating (Mental and Physical) can only receive an augmentation bonus of up to +4. If the attribute being raised has not reached its natural maximum limit, the attribute can be raised naturally with Karma; but at no point can augmentations exceed the +4 bonus cap."
Stahlseele
Yes, but since this does not actually change the body attribute, just adds it's level in the form of dice to healing checks, it is not an attribute augmentation but a bonus right?
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 30 2013, 06:02 PM) *
Yes, but since this does not actually change the body attribute, just adds it's level in the form of dice to healing checks, it is not an attribute augmentation but a bonus right?
As far as I understand it, nope, this power does not actually change your Attribute. Your normal healing tests for just R&R is Body x 2 (1 Day) for Physical. Since the Rapid Healing power adds to the Body for Healing tests only, I take it as (Body + Rapid Healing) x 2 (1 Day) for Physical.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 30 2013, 08:59 PM) *
As far as I understand it, nope, this power does not actually change your Attribute. Your normal healing tests for just R&R is Body x 2 (1 Day) for Physical. Since the Rapid Healing power adds to the Body for Healing tests only, I take it as (Body + Rapid Healing) x 2 (1 Day) for Physical.

Same Here...
Isath
Else the rule wouldn't say "adds to body", but "adds to dicepool / test" - as far as I understand it.
HugeC
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 30 2013, 09:59 PM) *

If you want to have (Body + Rapid Healing) x 2 in your formula, then you are saying the power augments Body, and is therefore capped at +4. If it's just a dice pool modifier, then the formula is Body x 2 + Rapid Healing, but there is no cap (other than Magic rating, like for all adept powers).

Personally, I read it as the former. Just like Bone Density Augmentation adds to Body only for the purpose of damage resistance tests, Rapid Healing adds to Body only for the purpose of healing tests. Both are augmenting Body for certain purposes, so both are limited to +4.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (HugeC @ Jul 31 2013, 07:10 AM) *
If you want to have (Body + Rapid Healing) x 2 in your formula, then you are saying the power augments Body, and is therefore capped at +4. If it's just a dice pool modifier, then the formula is Body x 2 + Rapid Healing, but there is no cap (other than Magic rating, like for all adept powers).

Personally, I read it as the former. Just like Bone Density Augmentation adds to Body only for the purpose of damage resistance tests, Rapid Healing adds to Body only for the purpose of healing tests. Both are augmenting Body for certain purposes, so both are limited to +4.

If that was the case, The Adept Ability would be limited to a Maximum of 4 Levels. Since it isn't, I would have to disagree.
HugeC
Improved Physical Attribute isn't explicitly limited to 4 levels either. They do happen to mention the "augmented maximum," which is apparently the +4 limit I quoted above, even though they don't call it that in the actual rule. But since that rule exists in general, they don't need to mention it everywhere it applies. They would have to mention that Rapid Healing is an exception if that rule isn't supposed to apply to it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (HugeC @ Jul 31 2013, 07:32 AM) *
Improved Physical Attribute isn't explicitly limited to 4 levels either. They do happen to mention the "augmented maximum," which is apparently the +4 limit I quoted above, even though they don't call it that in the actual rule. But since that rule exists in general, they don't need to mention it everywhere it applies. They would have to mention that Rapid Healing is an exception if that rule isn't supposed to apply to it.

Assuming you interpret it as an Attribute Increase rather than additional dice to Heal (at twice your rating).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012