Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do mages have it too easy?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kurukami
In one of the shadowrunning games I've been in, mages were effectively the be-all and end-all of ass-kickers. Fast because of certain house rules effectively granting them magically wired reflexes, heavily armored unless you threw absolutely disgusting amounts of firepower at them, and with enough mana to roast legions of samurai and assassins with barely the blink of an eye. Hell, one guy had the equivalent of a Citymaster-style combat vehicle where he put a ritual circle in the back. Apparently, he once researched a new spell there on a drive back from a run in the Salish-Sidhe. Research time? Oh, four or five hours.

I, on the other hand, focus mainly on decker characters. The rules in Matrix are pretty straightforward -- it takes you a damned long time to code out new programs, just as it should be. Otherwise, advancement comes far too quickly -- though the MPCP limits the extent to which that might be possible.

I just find myself wishing that the scales didn't seem so definitively tipped in the direction of mages being uber. Has anyone implemented house rules of some kind that made things a bit more, well, equal?

(By the way? The aforementioned mage was at some disgusting level of initiation. 11 or 12 or something like that. Of course, this was mainly because the GM allowed the spending of cash to gain Karma...)
Sphynx
We came across a similar topic some time back in our group and House Ruled that you pay, in karma, what you would pay to learn a skill to that level/Force. So, a Force 6 spell cost the Mage (assuming your Essence was 6, the linked attribute) 1+3+4+6+7+9=30 Karma.

The trouble was that suddenly nobody cared about or wanted to learn new spells. nyahnyah.gif Not that that's a big deal or anything, I personally always start out with a good 20 spells in my repertoire, but it changed the advancement of Mages alot. We un-did the rule some months ago going back to the old ways, and I've just now learned my 3rd new spell having spent 9 Karma where I would have spent 30 in the House Rule system. Personally I thought it was a good House Rule, but I was out-numbered immensely.

Sphynx
Herald of Verjigorm
By the books, mages are no more "uber" than other character types can be until around 500 or more karma. In their element, and wielded well, mages can be very effective, but deckers can rock in their element as well.

I think your game house ruled mages into omnipotence, either that or no appropriate countermeasures were used.

For spell research time, research and learning are two different events. Research may happen quickly, but the times to learn high force spells get a bit absurd, especially with the TN of double the spells force to learn it. Example: a force 6 spell requires the mage to achieve a 12 using sorcery (and magic theory as a complement, and a few other potential sources of extra dice) to learn the spell in 6 days. If the mage can get 6 or more successes, that same spell can be learned in 1 day. No successes means 6 wasted days and you can try again later.

[edit]Learning a spell can never take less than one full day's effort[/edit]
The White Dwarf
Yea, and thats just learning. If you want to design your own spell its a whole other skilltest you have to make too. Im not sure how even going fast would make mages better ... the way sorcery and spell pool work multiple actions isnt exactly what it seems. While a well placed spell is worth its force in sams, mages are far from the be all and end all of anything except magic. An out of the box troll sam with ambidexterity and dual franchis is, um, shall we say rather destructive. Not that I am for or against such things, just pointing it out... Maybe if you had a specific problem you wanted help on, because to a general "are they too good" the answer is a sound "no", theyre pretty well balanced within the system.
hobgoblin
iwould lvoe to hear more about that houserule that gave them amgical wired reflexes, allso i would love to see the level of spells and how many initiations the mage in question have gone tru...

one must never forget that a spell with higher effective force then the casters magic rating will do physical damage to caster, and casting magic on the astral will do physical damage to caster no matter what!

i am very mutch mroe afraid of a move by wire, hardend military armor sammie then i am with a mage unless he have something like 500-1000 karma under his belt...

as for that magic circle, the diameter is equal to the rating of the spell so a rating 6 spell is 6 meters across. i have yet to hear about a car that broader then say 3 meters (and even that may be pushing it). allso, every sircle is used for one task, andone task only. you have to make a new one unless your going to redo the same task (like summoning more elementals of the same type). if its a shamans lodge then it needs to be in the eviroment of the shamans totem, and i belive that no totem allows for a mobile lodge (could be misstaken tho)...

allso, for hermetics, never forget the library demands, any magical action besides spellcasting and commanding (not summoning) spirits demands one library or other of atleast the same force as the action done...
Matrix Monkey
House rule? since when is quickening increase reflexes a house rule? nyahnyah.gif
Lilt
Mages are extremely powerful, perhaps too powerful, but only if the player knows how to use them.
TheScamp
Mages are extremely powerful, perhaps too powerful, but only if the player knows how to use them.

The same can be said of any character.
Ancient History
Considering the karma costs (mages have up to seven primary active skills, and initiation, and foci, and ally spirits), amgicians blast through karma like speed junkies. Cheap spell costs and astral quests to lower them are fairly reasonable.
Hunter
Did you forget about that fact that you have to roll forcex2 on a sorcery test (I think) in order to learn the spell? Try rolling a 12 with six or eight dice. Heck, try rolling a ten.... sarcastic.gif
Hot Wheels
A good role player and a good GM can keep mages in line. They are powerful given the chance to prep pretty good, but in a quick throw down, my wired reflexes will have a gun out and speaking before they can cast a spell.

Now, Snow fox has started refering to me as a muggle when we're not gaming, hmm.
Hunter
As least you're not a moogle. wink.gif
Zippo
QUOTE (TheScamp)

The same can be said of any character.

Not quite. Admittedly, a street sammy, if properly min-maxed, could pack quite a punch straight out of character generation. However, there are only so many possible routes you can take to spend your karma and money once the game begins. No matter how much delta-grade cyberware you stuff in yourself, no matter how high you increase your combat skill levels to, there is only a given amount of ways you can inflict damage - all of which, while seemingly potent from a mundane point of view, can easily be countered using magic.

A mage with increased reaction and reflexes quickened can match even the fastest gunbunnies on the draw. Detect Enemies and a point of senseware will ensure that no one will ever catch you with your pants down in a fight. Add a force 6 sustaining focus for Armor, and you can be all but immune to everything up to and including assault cannons. If it suits you, you can also slap on improved invisibility and silence spells, and be virtually undetectable to most forms of mundane vision. You can't shoot what you can't see - at least without a +8 TN modifier wink.gif. And finally, no matter how impervious to damage you think your cybermonster is, a Control Thoughts spell could easily make them end their own life. A spellslinger with the right mojo could take down mundanes by the dozens without breaking a sweat. And you'll hardly need 500 karma to do it. Sure there are methods a GM can utilize to keep a magic-wielder in line, but in terms of raw combat ability, nothing beats out a mage.
Person 404
A mage with increased reaction and reflexes quickened can match even the fastest gunbunnies on the draw.

I'd be interested to see this. A mage who got very lucky rolls on both might be able to get +6 reaction, +3d6 initiative. The fastest gunbunnies I've seen have reaction in the mid-teens, with +4d6 intiative. (Synaptic accelerators, boosted reflexes, reflex enhancers). Harder to detect than quickened spells, and a lot harder to dispel. The only way I can see a mage getting close is through possession by a great form Loa, which has its own disadvantages.

Detect Enemies and a point of senseware will ensure that no one will ever catch you with your pants down in a fight.

I think some drones might have a chance, but this is a good point. However, it relies on either geases (restrictive) or additional intiations (time-consuming and karma-expensive) to bring the character back up to starting magic level.

Add a force 6 sustaining focus for Armor, and you can be all but immune to everything up to and including assault cannons.

This I'd really like to see. The combination of the armor spell with conventional (especially hardened) armor does get rather sick rather fast. However, it still doesn't add up to immunity from assault cannons unless you're toting around 14 points of hardened armor. In which case you're actually a small tank that can cast spells. Assuming you're not, most mages seem to have a hard time fully resisting 2D damage.

You can't shoot what you can't see - at least without a +8 TN

You can still grenade it and use suppressive fire/shot. This is a suboptimal solution though, I'll admit.

And finally, no matter how impervious to damage you think your cybermonster is, a Control Thoughts spell could easily make them end their own life.

It's easy if you're in the habit of making sammies with low-to-average (read: nonsurvivable) willpowers. Willpower 5 or 6 presents quite a challenge for Control Thoughts. Force 6 control thoughts vs. 6 willpower: the mage will on average have to be rolling 24 dice for the minimum level of success. Plus, suicide always gets another willpower check.

A spellslinger with the right mojo could take down mundanes by the dozens without breaking a sweat.

If you mean corp suits, sure. Hello, manaball. Any sam worth his or her smartlink could do the same. If you mean any group of trained but nonmagical personnel... unless "the right mojo" includes being a great dragon, I'd have to disagree.

Hero
>Zippo

There where a lot of sustained duration spell that you discribed, a bit to much in my opinion. If he using all sustaining foci to sustain the spells, that is a large amount of foci, and with that a large amount of karma too (you do know you have to bond them). The mage can also suffer from foci addiction if he has to many foci activated at one time, if the total force of the his foci (active) are more then twice the mages magic rating he must test for magic lose (foci addiction pg 45-46). Besides I would never be have that many sustaining foci at one time, there are better things to spend that karma on, like increase skills and/or adding skills, learning spells, improving already known spells.

rotate.gif
A Anti-Materials Rifle (.50 BMG or larger caliber) can take care of that uber mage easily, I am using the firearms rules off of Shadowrun and Firearms brought to us by Raygun the resident gun expert. They are meant to destroy vehicles and the like, that have a considerably better armor then any human or mage (yes even the uber mage will be downed by the Anti-Materials Rifle) can ever have. So what is the fix for that uber mage in the group, have a sniper that has a fixation for rifles with a caliber larger then .50 BMG (I suggest the one that uses either a 20x83mm, 14.5x114mm, and/or 15.2x170mm cartridge, oh the fun).
rotate.gif
ShadowGhost
Inivisble mages are easy to take out.... Ultrasound vision ALWAYS sees them - so it's a +4 modifier to hit them, for a base target number of 8 (short range is assumed).

-2 for smartlink, and use shot rounds in a Burst-Fire shotgun with an autochoke set to a 3 meter spread at the target, for another -3 to hit, so now base target number to hit is 3.

For the mage to dodge it's base TN 4, + 1 for BF, + 3 for spread, for a final dodge of 8.

Damage - Base 8S. BF - 11D. - 3 power for spread - 8D. Two bursts, not counting net successes. Even with high ballistic and impact, they're still looking at rolling off 2D, twice, with probable multiple successes to roll off first, before staging down damage, with a generally low body.

Even if the mage isn't killed outright, he's now got injury modifiers to all target numbers to cast.

Mages who can go three times in a combat turn are spreading their Magic pools out over three passes, and are vulnerable to other mages if they don't allocate Spell Defense. A mage with an armor spell? He glows like a neon sign, even if he is invisible.
Sphynx
Just an FYI on the UltraSound, you still have to beat them in a Perception vs Stealth test. That's kinda the idea of having a Stealth skill. nyahnyah.gif

As for Glowing like a Neon Sign even if he is invisible, that's an interpretation and not a Canon ruling. Purely up to the GM and most accept that Invisibilty does indeed hide that glow.

Sphynx
Fortune
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Aug 25 2003, 02:27 PM)
As for Glowing like a Neon Sign even if he is invisible, that's an interpretation and not a Canon ruling.  Purely up to the GM and most accept that Invisibilty does indeed hide that glow.

They do?
Kurukami
QUOTE (Matrix Monkey)
House rule? since when is quickening increase reflexes a house rule? nyahnyah.gif

Not quickened, at least not so far as I could tell. They just wandered around with them effectively perpetually sustained, because after all they could center to remove the penalties from sustaining spells or somesuch like that... *rolly eyes*

Basically, I'm just fed up with this one mage who, while being held at gunpoint by half a dozen cyber-sammies, gets off a quick pair of stunballs and downs 'em all. Then he went on to use his effective Magic rating of, oh, 14 or 15 with a Control Water spell to basically utterly destroy a luxury yacht the group was chasing... Basically, he had most spells at Force 6 (except the ones which could be minmaxed at Force 1), and threw something near 15-20 dice with each roll. And of course, Karma quickly fixed those "misses"...

And the house rule, as far as I could tell, gave them the bonus Reaction and the additional Initiative dice.
Clipwing
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Just an FYI on the UltraSound, you still have to beat them in a Perception vs Stealth test. That's kinda the idea of having a Stealth skill. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx, I'm curious. You seem to put great stock in Stealth skill judging from your posts, but in my experience it's not really been that useful. You get an open test, and there's not really any dice pool you can use to add to it. So if you pass through a room with two average people (Intel 3) and you have stealth 6, it's a fifty fifty chance of being detected by one of them. Have you had better success with the skill?
Sphynx
I've had great success with it, but that could be because our GM usually gives modifiers based on situations. Hell, just being invis gives a modifier usually, even with UltraSound because that's not a natural vision (unless you're an Adept). So what you see is little more than density, and movement, not a full color spectrum like vision. If I'm standing still when someone with UltraSound is passing by, I can't imagine not getting a modifier. nyahnyah.gif

I have a Stealth of 5, and almost always roll over a 6 (I can't remember not rolling at least a 6 on it actually) and to roll a Perception roll requires the person to spend a Simple Action (not something that you roll without a reason). As long as I don't give someone a reason to look for me, I'm good, so "passing through a room with two average people" is rarely a problem. nyahnyah.gif Those that have reason have a TN equal to my roll plus my GM's modifier. I get found more often than I like, but I also get past more often than the GM likes.

Sphynx
Zippo
I'd be interested to see this. A mage who got very lucky rolls on both might be able to get +6 reaction, +3d6 initiative. The fastest gunbunnies I've seen have reaction in the mid-teens, with +4d6 intiative. (Synaptic accelerators, boosted reflexes, reflex enhancers). Harder to detect than quickened spells, and a lot harder to dispel. The only way I can see a mage getting close is through possession by a great form Loa, which has its own disadvantages.

Lucky rolls isn't an issue with quickening. You can just keep on casting the spell until you get the desired effect, then quicken it. The more successes you get on the final result, the harder it is for a hostile mage to dispel.

This isn't a contest to see who can min-max their initiative better. Rather, I was attempting to disprove the traditional belief that mages have to be slow. Of course he'll have a lower average initiative than a sammy with reaction enhancer 6, synaptic 2, and boosted 3. But a sammy who is that fast deserves the right, since he sacrifices aptitude in other areas to specialize in speed.

I think some drones might have a chance, but this is a good point. However, it relies on either geases (restrictive) or additional intiations (time-consuming and karma-expensive) to bring the character back up to starting magic level.

Yes, it'll be necessary to spend karma. Most of what I've said in the previous post requires karma...just not 500 points of it. Likewise, the sammy needs karma and nuyen to get new 'ware and improve skills. The issue was never to argue who is better without any karma expenditure.

This I'd really like to see. The combination of the armor spell with conventional (especially hardened) armor does get rather sick rather fast. However, it still doesn't add up to immunity from assault cannons unless you're toting around 14 points of hardened armor. In which case you're actually a small tank that can cast spells. Assuming you're not, most mages seem to have a hard time fully resisting 2D damage.

Once again, you're taking what I'm saying too literally. When I said "immune," I meant more a low TN for the damage resistance test than actually absorbing the damage. With a set of light security and form-fitting armor, the aforementioned force 6 Armor spell would grant a TN 2 to resist a shot from an assault cannon. With a decent body and some combat pool, you'll be at least as tough as the troll fully outfitted with cyberlimbs, if not more.

You can still grenade it and use suppressive fire/shot.

To do any of those, you'll still need to have a general idea of where the mage is. He or she could be right next to you. Of course, that's assuming you even know anyone is there.

Force 6 control thoughts vs. 6 willpower: the mage will on average have to be rolling 24 dice for the minimum level of success.

I was never aware that 24 dice for a one shot spell was ever a difficult task to accomplish. wink.gif

If you mean corp suits, sure. Hello, manaball. Any sam worth his or her smartlink could do the same. If you mean any group of trained but nonmagical personnel... unless "the right mojo" includes being a great dragon, I'd have to disagree.

Why not manaball for the group of trained but nonmagical personnel? I refer you to the above argument. A magic user have all sorts of defenses against what a mundane can dish out, but the converse is not true. Any mage worth his weight in salt would butcher any group of mundanes without magical backup.

Next post!

There where a lot of sustained duration spell that you discribed, a bit to much in my opinion. If he using all sustaining foci to sustain the spells, that is a large amount of foci, and with that a large amount of karma too (you do know you have to bond them). The mage can also suffer from foci addiction if he has to many foci activated at one time, if the total force of the his foci (active) are more then twice the mages magic rating he must test for magic lose (foci addiction pg 45-46). Besides I would never be have that many sustaining foci at one time, there are better things to spend that karma on, like increase skills and/or adding skills, learning spells, improving already known spells.

I hardly call two or three sustaining foci active "a bit too much." In any case, you usually won't have to have all of them active at the same time, since they're mostly situation specific. Note that quickening doesn't count for foci addiction - initiate to a decent level, get masking, and you're good to go. Hell, you don't even need most of the stuff I've mentioned to trump a mundane. There's a reason why most GMs utilize spellslingers as part of the security setup for defended facilities - without awakened backup, any group with a competent mage would mop the floor with the opposition.

A Anti-Materials Rifle (.50 BMG or larger caliber) can take care of that uber mage easily, I am using the firearms rules off of Shadowrun and Firearms brought to us by Raygun the resident gun expert. They are meant to destroy vehicles and the like, that have a considerably better armor then any human or mage (yes even the uber mage will be downed by the Anti-Materials Rifle) can ever have. So what is the fix for that uber mage in the group, have a sniper that has a fixation for rifles with a caliber larger then .50 BMG (I suggest the one that uses either a 20x83mm, 14.5x114mm, and/or 15.2x170mm cartridge, oh the fun).

No offense intended, but no shit. I don't recall ever saying the my previous post that a mage is invincible. What I did say, however, is that in a game with fairly experienced PCs, the mage would be potentially more powerful than the tricked up sammy. Yeah, you can have a weak mage, just like you can have a weak gunbunny. However, if played correctly, magic can be abused far more than cyberware, bioware, and guns can.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Zippo)

Lucky rolls isn't an issue with quickening. You can just keep on casting the spell until you get the desired effect, then quicken it. The more successes you get on the final result, the harder it is for a hostile mage to dispel.

Any intelligent GM will state you have to declare you're quickening a spell first, BEFORE casting it, not after, to avoid this munchkinisming.
Bölverk
QUOTE (Kurukami)
Basically, I'm just fed up with this one mage ... effective Magic rating of, oh, 14 or 15 ... and threw something near 15-20 dice with each roll...

So basically you're unhappy with the fact that a mage who can sling spells better than most dragons (the Great Dragon template in SR3 "only" has an Essence (and hence Magic Rating) of 12 and a Magic Pool of about the same) is able to take down multiple opponents at once and do other things that other characters can only dream of?

Unless the other characters in the group have had the opportunity to attain similar levels of power (sammies approaching cyberzombiehood despite the fact that everything they have is deltaware, deckers with Fairlight Excaliburs, and so forth) I think the problem is with your GM.
TheScamp
Not quite.

Yes quite. You focus far too much on solutions through game mechanics.
Talia Invierno
Uhm - I don't think initiation-based increases in Magic equate to increase in Essence.

There's also the question of everything a magician improves costing karma. Upgrading a focus costs nuyen plus karma. Upgrading a library costs "only" nuyen - but what are you going to use it for? Only the pure conjurer is exempt from the constant karma outlay - and in the previous forums there were many arguing that a conjurer was underpowered compared to the sorcerer. Spells may be "quick" to learn time-wise (although only if they are relatively low-Force - and there are GM ways of balancing that), but to acquire karma, and karma, and karma?

Btw what's the highest in-game spell anyone's ever tried and/or succeeded to learn? For me, it was two Force 14 manipulation spells: Influence and a custom elemental one. The second took a year of game time.
Clipwing
QUOTE (Sphynx)
I have a Stealth of 5, and almost always roll over a 6 (I can't remember not rolling at least a 6 on it actually)

You must have a hot hand... or use loaded dice... wink.gif If my math is correct, you should only roll over a 6 about 60% of the time with 5 dice...
hobgoblin
hmm, quickend or sustaind by foci increased reflexes and/or reaction, hardend military armor + armor spell, magic rating of 14-15, what are we talking here, merlin the street mage? im guessing thisguy goes dragon hunintg in his off time. first thing i would do as a sec guard running itno this flowing tincan would be to call for cyberzombie backup...

this is like having a full borg using a APCA in cyberpunk, way over the top. this guy shouldnt be running in the shadows. he should be takeing over sieder-krupp or something (by mindcontroling our favorite wyrm no less)...

one thing i would love to see is how this guy would react to a enviroment laced in FAB3 smile.gif with quickend spells and foci up the nosehair im guessing he would be a prime target. and maybe some free spirit would find him a threat...

btw, 14-15 magic? thats 270 karma just in initiations! 180 if done in a group. thats a lot of karma in my book, and i dont want to try and guess how mutch have been burned on foci, quickening and so on...
Sunday_Gamer
It becomes apparent that the relative threat level of a mage become entirely dependent on the rules and how a given GM uses them.

For instance in our happy little game, I play a street shaman of monkey. I'm pretty damn powerful, but only in so far as I have a vast range of utility spells and I'm all the magical backup my partner and sam has.

My limitations:

2 body, dodging is paramount!!!

Quickening is not widely available, the mage who performs the quickening is the
one who spends the karma AND the one who has to cast the spell. There remains a constant link between a quickened spell and it's caster. Also, spells are clearly visible from astral space and walking around with spells quickened can lead to uncomfortable questions which I try to avoid.

My reactions suck, I act once, at the end of the first pass, twice if I roll a 6, if I get into a fight with a sam 1 on 1 and I'm not a safe distance away when the fight breaks out, I'm in deep doodoo.

I usually only have 1/2 to 3/4 of my spell pool available since I've always got dice dedicated to spell defense, cause ya never know, cause mages is sneaky fookers.

Getting better as time progresses. In our world, it's a lot easier to come by money than it is karma. The sams and deckers can use the karma to increase their skills and money to increase their gear. I have next to no use for money, karma is everything to me, I improve, at a slower pace than my teammates.

Am I a weenie? Not a chance. Do I have it too easy? Put the BTLs DOWN!!

So you see, it's all relative. A mage with 14-15 dice and 12+4d initiative and 12 spells quickened on himself is not an impossibility, but it's certainly not something my GM would ever allow, he'd drop a satellite on your head " It just fell from the sky dude! I just don't know! Craaaaazy!"

Sunday.
Zippo
QUOTE (TheScamp)
Yes quite. You focus far too much on solutions through game mechanics.

Game mechanics was what was originally said to tip the scales in the spellslinger's favor. How you choose to roleplay your character is a separate issue altogether, and one that was never of any relevance to this topic.

Any intelligent GM will state you have to declare you're quickening a spell first, BEFORE casting it, not after, to avoid this munchkinisming.

Any "intelligent GM" will realize that it would be near impossible to dispel something quickened with 12 karma anyway. Excellent job on concentrating on something so minor and ignoring the rest of my post.
Lilt
It takes a mage to tackle a mage. That is what makes them so powerful. Ultrasound may be able to see through invisibility, but after stealth skill, vision modifiers, and use of a moderate-force spirit's concealment and confusion powers, no small number of mundane characters could hope to detect the mage's presence. No mundane character could hope to prevent a mage from performing astral reconissance or ritual sorcery, and that's even before the mage has spent a single point of karma.

Yes: Mages can stop mages. It takes a large number of mundanes to do the same job and even then the mage would probaby have taken-out most of the mundanes by the time they got him. Adding karma just increaces the number of mundanes you'd need to throw at him.

It is, however, an awakened world. There are awakened critters, spirits, and (thankfully) other mages in the world. I just feel that needing magic to defeat magic makes it somewhat powerful, verging on the broken if the GM doesn't keep the mage in check.
hobgoblin
toss in a cyberzombei, that mana hazeing helps wonders when resisting spells smile.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
A cyberzombie hosting FAB3. Cripples any mage who enters any area the cyberzombie passed recently. Even worse with quickened spells, because the FAB will "follow them home"
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Aug 25 2003, 11:39 PM)
A cyberzombie hosting FAB3.  Cripples any mage who enters any area the cyberzombie passed recently.  Even worse with quickened spells, because the FAB will "follow them home"

No corp would have their cz hosting FAB3. A cz is an incredibly expensive investment, which would be swiftly killed by a FAB3 infestation, as the bugs would quickly eat the spells [EDIT: not actually spells, but magic anyway] keeping the cz's soul bound to its body.
Herald of Verjigorm
Read the section on FAB3 on cyberzombies. It is in the end of the KARMA HAZING part on page 57.
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Aug 26 2003, 12:17 AM)
Read the section on FAB3 on cyberzombies.  It is in the end of the KARMA HAZING part on page 57.

I see what you mean. Of course, FAB never drains Essence from anything, and it can't drain Magic from a cz because cz's don't have a Magic rating.

However, the fact is that FAB3 clouds grow by consuming and destroying magic (small m smile.gif). In ye olde days, this included sustained spells - not having my MitS on hand, I couldn't say what the situation is now.

Of course, the cybermantic magics that bind a cz's soul to its body are not spells, quickened or otherwise - they cannot be dispelled - but I think that FAB3 would inevitably destroy a cyberzombie in short order, without needing to drain Essence or Magic (big M), because the cyberzombie is still maintained by magic.

I believe that a cyberzombie's handler would have it inspected for FAB3 infection after every deployment, and would have any such infection Sterilized in short order. While this is not the result of the rules, per se, it is an obvious consequence of the other setting material that describes how cybermancy and FAB3 work.
Glyph
Kurukami: I don't think the spell research rules are imbalanced. It is your campaign (which you already admit uses house rules) that is imbalanced. If the other players are not even close to being this tough, you may be looking at blatant favoritism by the GM. The SR game system has all kinds of ways to challenge even high-powered mages - but it breaks down if you have a house-ruled over-powered character being fed wimpy opponents by a GM who lets the character get away with stunts that would be impossible under normal SR rules.
Herald of Verjigorm
On MitS page 90. I was unable to find a reference to quickened spells as a FAB snack or not. There was explicit mention of wards, dual natured people/critters, foci, and spirits, but nothing about quickened spells. The rules also state that force, magic, or essense are consumed (first one on the list that is available), so a mundane but dual natured person/critter will lose essense to a FAB3. This is why it kills ghouls.
RedmondLarry
The initiate 11 or 12 magician who is prepared and who has focused on improving her effectiveness in combat should be able to wipe out most small opposing groups who aren't expecting her. Such a character typically has received more than 400 earned Karma in her career. In four Shadowrun campaigns I've been in, the GMs have had trouble developing runs with the proper challenge and risk when the characters reach such levels. We're working on it, and we'd like to do better in preparing such runs, but that is our current experience.

Part of the trouble in the game/campaign you experience, Kurukami, may be the characters reaching such levels, and it being most obvious with the magician first.

If this isn't the general problem, consider whether the GM is designing games that have some challenge for everyone. Across a month of play, there should be some challenges handled by the team's Face, where he demonstrates his skill and gets a sense of accomplishment. Some challenges where the sneak thief/disguise artist shines. Some challenges where the Decker / Rigger saves the team's butt. Something where the Samurai just blasts the opposition. It sounds like you are feeling that your character hasn't had enough chance to show off what he/she is good at. This is an issue in the quality of the GM and his/her goals in running the game/campaign. The GM may, for whatever reason, be creating opposition that the magician is uniquely suited to overcome.

As far as your direct question regarding house rules that make things more equal between the characters, many have already posted on this thread suggestions for canon rules or house rules that the GM could use. These are game mechanics issues and are probably only a part of the real solution. As people have said, the GM must have a good grasp on rules for sustaining a spell (penalties on successes and on drain), allocation of Sorcery dice and Spell Pool across a combat turn, requirement to be Astrally Perceiving when Centering for Successes and the penalty for mundane actions while Astrally Perceiving, the effect that astral barriers have on sustained and quickened spells, the rules for an astral entity to dispell a quickened spell or destroy an active sustaining focus, and that target number penalties for vison or cover also affect target numbers for spells. (*Whew*)

And my last comments are for the campaign world. In a campaign world where the characters have high powered magic, I say that corporations pay to have defenses vs. magic. (I have to do this to provide proper challenge and keep my "Good GM" standing.) AND I say that a mega corporation that sees an uber mage may use mega corporation power to acquire that uber mage. Being known as the shadowrunner with the glowing defenses is not good for staying hidden in the shadows.

P.S. Our house rules don't allow a mobile hermetic circle or medicine lodge on anything less than a small cruise ship. We don't make a spell that creates a glow (armor) have that glow hidden by invisibility. None of our solutions to high-powered mages have adjusted the cost of learning a spell as you suggest, but we have considered banishing the Astral Quest to reduce cost and the Mnemonic Enhancer, as both of these have been abused by magicians in our campaigns.
Kurukami
QUOTE (Glyph)
Kurukami: I don't think the spell research rules are imbalanced. It is your campaign (which you already admit uses house rules) that is imbalanced. If the other players are not even close to being this tough, you may be looking at blatant favoritism by the GM. The SR game system has all kinds of ways to challenge even high-powered mages - but it breaks down if you have a house-ruled over-powered character being fed wimpy opponents by a GM who lets the character get away with stunts that would be impossible under normal SR rules.

That seems to be, at least to some degree, the case. Much of the problem, I think, comes from the fact that I entered this campaign only eighteen months ago or so. Many of the other players (namely said magician and a particular troll physad) had been around for over four years. That much karma goes a looooooong way towards tipping the scales in their favor.

Hells, that game was pretty magic-heavy anyways. When I first showed up to it, the characters were:

- the aforementioned mage
- the aforementioned troll physad
- a dual-natured sprite Sun shaman
- a human "John Woo" style physad (two guns blazing)

And later, both a troll enchanting druidic shaman and a conjuring specialist/shaman of Moon Maiden joined up. And there I was with my dwarven rigger/decker with maybe a hundred Karma... synaptic acceleration, and I was still the slowest one in the group. Ah well... fortunately that game is on a (hopefully permanent) hiatus anyways.

I guess I've just developed this strong dislike for magicians played by rules lawyers... particularly in that campaign. sarcastic.gif
Reth
As Ourteam rightly says cover and visibility modifiers are often overlooked in regards to magic in my experience. Therefore sec. guards with smokegrenades or backup from that smoke producing drone in R3 will give most mages difficulty, especially if they act intelligently and use cover as well. In this situation i would be surprised if the sammies didn't do at least as good as the mage. Also another problem in this regard is that the stats for NPC's in the books are often very low in the mental department, while their physical stats are high(er). Consider what it means that an NPC is fx. equal and trained, does this mean that, that NPC should run around with a willpower and intelligence of 3, in my games NO. The stats differ ofcourse from situation to situation, but i think that especially megacorp security would be at least somewhat trained in resisting magic, which i translate into their stats. That in it self wouldn't mean much ofcourse untill you start factoring in the modifiers for cover and visibility as mentioned above, but then it does make a difference.

Also i agree with Ourteam that some of the problem might also be that the GM has to make sure everybody gets to shine at some point, or at least gets the opportunity to do so. I have played in many games where the GM practiced favoritism and it is f**king terrible.

Are mages unbalanced? yes and no!!! In some situations YES in some situations NO. Ofcourse when we are talking about übermages of the level that some you apparently have in your games, then there are more YES situations than NO situations. That being said i rather think that SR does a better job at balancing magic than most RPG's. BUT the Sixth World is an awakened world and if you consider the concepts of magic and technology aginst each other, it soon becomes clear that they are not equal concepts, magic is potentially by far the most powerfull of these concepts, why? because it is magic, meaning that magic breaks the so called natural laws easily, technology cannot do that, it must operate within the natural laws. If you think that, that is evidence of a broken system, then so be it, but i'm afraid you will have difficulty incorporating a concept of magic that equals technology without breaking magic.

These above mentioned reasons are why, i think, that every single character advance that a mage wants cost karma and quite alot of it i might add when we are talking foci bonding, initation, skill increases....etc.
hobgoblin
a dual-natured sprite sun shaman? i would get out of that group or sugjest that they pick up earthdawn instead as when you either have physads or magics walking about its a "strange" consentration. i allways figured that magic was a very rare happening in SR given that you have to go A to be a full mage and B to be any kind of adept (yes i prefer that system as it allways turns out more balanced)...

your view is slanted, the mage (and most likely the rest of the group) have hit a spot where he should move out of the shadows and become more like a background person. a samurai that had survived for so long would be showing of high level dermal sheath, move-by-wire, so many sensory systems that he would be picking up aliens and most probably a tactical computer wired into all this enableing him to have a total overview of where the enemy is at any time. sure he would probably hit zombiehood but thats the risk of the biz...

one thing the GM in your game should consider would be sending dragons and/or free spirit or maybe insect/toxic spirits againt the group in numbers. thats the threat level they should be faceing, not corp security and the like...
The White Dwarf
Whatever, a sam can be just as viable as a mage, at any karma or experience level. Perhaps you dont know how to use them as well as you do a mage. Id even go so far as to say theyre more powerful that almost any magic build for at least 30 or 60 karma points, probably a bit more (I can think of one magician I made that was definatly more powerful, and it was so broken I actaully made a second guy to bring to the session [it was a one off] because I thought it would imbalance the game).

As for invis, its a +8 tn blindfire mod to shoot someone invis. There is no need for a stealth or perception test. No matter how much you hide while invis, youre uh, invis, so like you cant get any more hidden. Ultrasound does indeed cut it down to +4. Thats the canon ruling to my understanding, if you can show where it says otherwise please do.

Mages can never be as fast or deadly as a sam can in pure combat, even with magic. If its a straight out fight between a mage and a sam, even if designed for just such an occasion, Id give it a 50/50 shot based on who rolls luckier with the dice.
Cain
Truth of the matter is, it appears that the characters are unbalanced. Any character with 400+ karma under his belt is pretty ugly to begin with, if only due to the 40 points of Karma pool a human would have.

Not only does it sound like blatant favoritism on the part of the GM, favoring magic over decking/rigging, it sounds like he's not really giving you a fair shake.
Talia Invierno
First, apologies to Bölverk: it seems I misunderstood your post earlier.

Uhm, it depends on how the 400-odd points of karma are distributed. If you're seriously specialising in one or two areas, then yes, I'll agree that PC retirement is rapidly becoming a reasonable option (although it's quite possible to continue challenging even these types of characters). If the character has a wider perspective or is a determined generalist, then they're entirely playable even after that amount of karma investment, be they Awakened or non. (How many points can B/R skills eat up? or Knowledge? or Language? or specialisations?)

There's also different ways of adjusting karma pool accumulation suggested in the SR Companion (which makes them canon options). We use the old Flaw "Bad Karma" as compulsory for all PCs. In addition, we use the stepped method of acquiring Karma Pool: an extra 10 points needed per added point, increase after every accumulation of 5 Karma Pool points. Suddenly accumulation of Karma Pool becomes entirely reasonable.

Talia - who has just finished dumping 500-odd karma points into a number of NPCs and discovered that they're not even approaching being "powerful" PC contacts yet - only one of the physads is even above the 5th initiation!
TheScamp
Game mechanics was what was originally said to tip the scales in the spellslinger's favor. How you choose to roleplay your character is a separate issue altogether, and one that was never of any relevance to this topic.

How you choose to roleplay your character is absolutely relevant. If all you're doing is rolling dice, then mages will, in general, come out on top. Fortunately, SR isn't a game of one-on-one gladiator combat, where all you do is roll dice to see who wins.
Zippo
QUOTE (TheScamp)
How you choose to roleplay your character is absolutely relevant.  If all you're doing is rolling dice, then mages will, in general, come out on top. Fortunately, SR isn't a game of one-on-one gladiator combat, where all you do is roll dice to see who wins.

Agreed. However, I doubt that the topic creator's problem lies in the mage player's ingenuity, instead of his or her number advantage.
TheScamp
That's silly; it's like complaining that the PAC is more powerful than a Manhunter.
toturi
The part of researching spells being too fast or being too easy is not as simple as it would first seem. I take it that the mage was "learning" the spell when he was accumulating the karma needed for it. So the slower you earn karma the slower you gain spells.

By the way, a CZ with FAB3 and Mana-Active Aura Deficiency syndrome is BAD grinbig.gif vegm.gif
Curugul
  Mages can never be as fast or deadly as a sam can in pure combat, even with magic. If its a straight out fight between a mage and a sam, even if designed for just such an occasion, Id give it a 50/50 shot based on who rolls luckier with the dice. 

And therein lies the problem. Frankly, I'd say 50/50 is pretty arbirtary: but i'll accept it as a premise (To my experience, it runs more like 20 sam wins / 80 mage, when talking about 'average' runners). Now, lets say the mage only wins in combat 50% of the time. HELLO, DO YOU SEE A PROBLEM HERE? A sam can do one thing. Combat. Thats it. He should have a *signifigant advantage* in this. Why? Well, lets see. A mage has arguably the best information gathering and recon in the game. A mage is ideal for any number of utility's outside combat. Do I really have to list it? Healing, spirit/spell use for (again, pretty much the best) infiltration capabilities (and this is SHADOW-run, thats a pretty big chunk of the game). Have you read many published SR adventures, or tips on infilitration like that found in SOTA? Do you know how many times they mention magic as perfect for this, or a foil for x? Anybody can kill in shadowrun. All Sams have is the ability to kill more per 3 seconds (possibly), and the ability to (probably) take more damage before dying. VERSATILE! And don't bring up deckers, I'll agree deckers are the flipside of the mage coin- that dealing with all things Technological. Also, don't rebute this with talk of electronics, or any other mundane skill which ANY character archetype can have. I'm not talking about Covert ops, I'm talking about Mercs/Sammies/Company Men, the people who do combat as their main area of focus. Its incredibly out of balance, largly due to the broke nature of magic, which leads me to...

I just feel that needing magic to defeat magic makes it somewhat powerful, verging on the broken if the GM doesn't keep the mage in check.

Exactly. I've said the same words many times, although I won't agree with "verging on broken unless". If something requires a GM to carefully monitor and deal with, its not balanced. Yes, a GM can MAKE it balanced; but a good GM could balance anything, that doesn't make the thing itself balanced. Bottom line is this: Magic (especially intelligently used magic) is *very* acceptable in combat. Yet a mage dominates so many other fields of shadowrun, grows the best with karma, and has the most room for growth. Its broke, plain and simple. Before we started severly houseruling magic, we had 4/5 people playing mages/shamans/sorcerors.

Heres anothing thing: Magic dominates mundanes. If your GM is fairly realistic, and doesn't up the magic response level just because YOU have more magic, the game falls apart. Take a run designed for a standard team, say, a published adventure. Then run it with an adept (or sam, just incase), and 3 mages. See what happens.

I don't see how anyone can say with a straight face that magic is balanced in shadowrun. The ONLY way it *becomes* "balanced" is if the GM *artifically and unrealistically* ups the magical defenses/nature of your runs. And that sucks.

Curugul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012