Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC - Nothing's free in Denver
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Lobo0705
Hello,

I've been a Shadowrun gamemaster for many years now started playing 1st edition, started GMing with 2nd, GM'd multiple campaigns in 3e but fell out of touch with 4e. I'm back now with 5e, and while I've never run a PbP game, I've just gotten involved in one, and I like the feel of it.

I am also blessed/cursed with a job that requires me to sit at a computer 8 hours a day with loads of free time wink.gif So I can tell anyone who plays that I'll be able to post very reliably (and even on the weekends I usually am able to spend a bit of time in front of the computer.

I'm interested in running a game set in Denver, the Front Range Free Zone using 5e. I'm looking for mostly mundane characters - i.e. deckers, not technomancers, samurai rather than adepts. If you want to play a mage, I would prefer an aspected magician rather than a full mage. This doesn't mean that I don't want ANY magically active characters, but I'd prefer a group that was mostly mundane with one/two magically active rather than the other way around. Combat is not the primary motivator in the campaign (although there will be plenty of chances, should you want it) - so I would recommend a blend of skills rather than having the Firearms Skill Group at 6 wink.gif

If anyone is interested, please post your characters in this thread - using the standard 5e Priority Gen.

I look forward to playing with you and having some fun smile.gif
Umidori
Sounds like a fun departure from Seattle. I'm already in one PBP game, but I'm kind of grating at the slow pace and I imagine that it might only be a mini-campaign, only one basic starter mission.

That said, I'll not throw my hat in just yet. I'll give folks who aren't yet in any games but want to be a chance to sign up before me. smile.gif

~Umi
Trigger
I am also already in one game, but this one sounds pretty awesome, especially for a Salish Sidhe Ork Coyote/Smuggler idea I have been working on.
TheOneRonin
I've got an Elven Merc I "stole and re-purposed" from ElFenrir's archetypes post (http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=39451) that I would really like to get involved in a game.

Let me know if you have any open spots.
Lobo0705
@TheOneRonin

You are definitely in - as you are the first one to definitively say yes smile.gif

Just post your stats/background/description for me please smile.gif

TheOneRonin
Cole “30” Westbrook

Birthdate: 1/11/2035

Current Age: 40 (circa 2075)

Birthplace: Gulf Breeze, Florida, CAS

Race: Elf (Caucasian)

Height: 193 cm (6’ 4”)

Weight: 134 kg (295 lbs)

Hair color: Black, but he keeps it shaved bald

Eyes: Dark Brown

Visual: Dave Bautista (http://cinemophile.com/2013/03/15/news-roundup-dave-bautista-will-be-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-and-more/)

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Build
[ Spoiler ]

Edit:Fleshed out Cole's background with more details.
Belvidere
I'm interested in this one for sure. Denver is awesome and always fun to dig into the sprawl. I have an Ex-UCAS Navy turned ork pride biker with a little girl at home he needs to take care of that I would love to play. Are you still taking people?

I knew 4e quite well, but I'm still learning 5e. I will do some harder reading to make sure I know my stuff if you've still go room.
Lobo0705
@Belvidere,

Yes I'm still taking people - I'm looking for a group of 4 or 5 - you make 2 (one of my friends is also supposed to be making a character as well).

Just post your character and background ala TheOneRonin - and don't worry about learning 5e - we are all still learning it wink.gif
Lowmoan Spectacular
I'm in! I'm gearing up to GM my first 5e game in Meatspace, and it's gotten me itching to play a runner! I'll post stats soon as I can.
Lobo0705
@Lowmoan

Ok - TheOneRonin is a combat type, and it sounds like Belvidere is as well. One of my friends will be playing a Decker, so the group needs a Face if you are willing to play one. If you really hate the idea, no harm done.
Opti
I am interested as well, if you have room for a shaman...
Lobo0705
@Opti,

We can use one magically active character - go ahead and post it smile.gif

Ok - so far we have:

TheOneRonin - Elven Merc
Belvidere - Ork ex-military
Lowmoan - unknown
Opti - shaman
Martin (he has to reactivate his account here, so I'm not sure what he will be posting as) - decker

That should be enough for now, any more and we risk going beyond critical mass smile.gif

Looking forward to seeing your characters smile.gif
Umidori
Good luck, godspeed, and watch out for dra...

*TRANSMISSION ENDS*

~Umi
Slide
Umi, if you still got room i'd love to play. seems like you got a nice little cast lined up though. biggrin.gif
Umidori
Uhh... I'm not GMing anything? question.gif

Sorry if I gave that impression.

~Umi
Slide
QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 14 2013, 07:31 PM) *
Uhh... I'm not GMing anything? question.gif

Sorry if I gave that impression.

~Umi

oops.... Thats what i get for reading while i'm half asleep.... Ignore the man behind the curten.
Opti
Opti

Raven Shaman

Current Age: 35 (circa 2075)

Race: human (Caucasian)

Height: 185 cm (6’ 1”)

Weight: 102 kg (225 lbs)

Hair color: Dark Brown, almost black

Visual: Think DC's The Question without the mask and with a close trimmed beard

Character Build
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]
Opti
I think I can pass as a face unless/until we get one...
Lobo0705
Thanks Opti!

Lowmoan - that means you are off the hook (if you want to be) with regards to being the face of the group.
TheOneRonin
Fleshed out the Background section for Cole.
Lowmoan Spectacular
Sorry it took a while to reply. I'm cool playing the Face, though I'm sure having a backup will come in handy some time!
[Edited for Math reasons. Edited again to give a home town and current Denver sector.]

Danny "Stuntman" Black

Face/Rigger

Birthplace: Austin, TX, CAS

Current Residence: Denver, CAS sector.

Current Age: 40 (circa 2075)

Race: Elf (Caucasian)

Height: 196 cm (6’ 4”)

Weight: 86 kg (190 lbs)

Hair color: Dirty Blond

Visual: Ryan Gosling from Drive with a neatly trimmed goatee. And, you know, elf ears.

Character Build
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]
PraetorGradivus
Mangas Pietro de Ramirez, "Hosepipe", AKA Jorge Goodeman

Decker

Birthplace: Pueblo Corporate Nation

Current Residence: Denver, PCC sector.

DOB: 2048

Race: Elf (Mescalero Amerindian)

Height: 180cm

Weight: 70 Kg

Hair color: Black

Background- the Epiphany
[ Spoiler ]

Build
[ Spoiler ]

Visual: Jay Tavare [img]www.magweb.com/picts/nm0851610.jpg[/img].

Background-The Hosepipe Incident
[ Spoiler ]
TheOneRonin
LOL...the Keebler Brigade.
PraetorGradivus
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Aug 17 2013, 08:18 AM) *
LOL...the Keebler Brigade.

Keeblers wooble but they don't fall down.
Opti
We have an ork and a human, too...
Lobo0705
Hello all,

Ok - I would like to start the IC thread this week. I am waiting to hear back from Belvidere, but assuming he doesn't respond, Umidori was first alternate and is making a character.

Some guidelines for the campaign:

Anything spoken should go in "quotes" and in cyan
If the dialogue is in any language other than English use red
Conversations over your comlink are in "quotes" and yellow
Text messaging and emails are in orange, but italicized and wrapped in <<angle brackets>>
Internal monologues or thinking are tan and italicized

I have all of your characters printed out - to keep it simple I will do all rolls using invisible castle. Just post in the OC thread any tests you want to make, if you want to include the number of dice I should roll, wonderful, if not, then I'll look it up if necessary.

As I've said before, I plan on checking the forums quite often - I can guarantee you I will post every day, so the pace will be faster than that of a lot of PbP. I will try and balance it out between making sure everyone has a chance to post, and not slowing the game down to a crawl.

Just so I get a sense of things, both Praetor and I are on the east coast of the US - where are the rest of you from?

Looking forward to playing with you guys (or girls, if any of you are women smile.gif)
Opti
sounds good. I am in Texas, btw... and a guy.
Lowmoan Spectacular
I am also from Texas and also a guy. And yeah, definitely excited for this. By the way, I haven't done PbP before, so please bear with me if I don't understand some of the ways things work. I've been creepin' on some of the other games in progress to get a feel.
TheOneRonin
East coast (Raleigh, NC), male.

Most of my posts during the week will be in the evenings since Dumpshock is blocked at my office.
Umidori
Silvester "Slick" Caruso
Snoop For Hire

Born: 7/7/44 (Age 30)
Human
Male
Caucasian
5' 7"
145lbs
Brown Hair
Hazel Eyes

Slick is kinda weedy looking - somewhat short, but oddly still lanky and gangling despite this. He perpetually wears his dark brown hair greased back and his charcoal suit starched and pressed. A pair of gaudy mirror shades hang either from his open collar or his crooked nose, depending on how light or dark it is out respectively. He has sharp features and a weasely face, which is typically sporting either a wheedling toothy grin, or a vaguely disgusted scowl.

Character Build
[ Spoiler ]

Background (20 Questions Format, Shamelessly Stolen from Aria's PBP Threads)
[ Spoiler ]

~Umi
Lobo0705
Alrighty then smile.gif

We've got our 5 players, and we are ready to go - a couple quick points before I start the IC thread (which will happen today or tomorrow).

I played 3e, not 4e and so perhaps I am not completely up to date with every cannon event in the SR universe. If I have something happen that seems contrary to cannon, forgive me. In general, your runs will not be in the nature of changing the Shadworun universe itself, so this shouldn't be a problem smile.gif

For those unfamiliar with Denver, I highly recommend reading this site:

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Denver

I will be basing most of my in game information on Denver City of Shadows, updated by Shadows of North America from 3e.

Important facts to know:

The city is divided into four sectors: UCAS, CAS, Sioux, and PCN.

Crossing between borders is not easy, there is a time delay as at any checkpoint. Security will be good, and occasionally your vehicle will be stopped, pulled out of line, and searched.
The main part of this campaign takes place in the UCAS sector. If your character does not live in the UCAS sector, please make sure your fake SINs cover some sort of work visa or other reason that you would have to be visiting that sector so that they will let you through the check points.

All of you have an additional contact (free of charge) named Chapel. His Connection is 4, his loyalty will vary (see below)

His description:
[ Spoiler ]

His behavior
[ Spoiler ]

Today you should all receive private messages from me containing a brief backstory as to how you know Chapel, based on your posted backgrounds. His loyalty will be different based on how you were introduced.

Any questions, please ask smile.gif

Umidori
Hrm. Debating with myself over how Slick would relate to Chapel.

Slick can be an ass, especially when butting heads with authority figures, but at the same time he's also something of a weasel. I think in this case, he knows which side his bread is buttered on and defers to Chapel's position as "boss man", if not out of respect then at least out of dimly enlightened self interest.

That said, I fully expect Chapel to privately think poorly of Slick on account of his slimeball personality. nyahnyah.gif

~Umi
Lobo0705
I was thinking the same thing, having read your background smile.gif

I've already sent the backdrop with Chapel to TheOneRonin, composing it for Lowmoan now. Will have them all out today (although I might not finish til late tonight)
TheOneRonin
Okay...so to make sure I'm on point, we have 5 PCs:

30 (TheOneRonin): Elf, former CAS Marine/Merc
Stuntman (Lowmoan): Elf, Rigger/Face
Opti (Opti): Human, Raven Shaman
Hosepipe (Praetor Gradivus): Elf, Decker
Slick (Umidori): Human, Detective/Investigator

Does that sound right?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Aug 19 2013, 07:04 PM) *
Okay...so to make sure I'm on point, we have 5 PCs:

30 (TheOneRonin): Elf, former CAS Marine/Merc
Stuntman (Lowmoan): Elf, Rigger/Face
Opti (Opti): Human, Raven Shaman
Hosepipe (Praetor Gradivus): Elf, Decker

Does that sound right?

Correct - Belvidere has gone AWOL - and Umidori was the first alternate
PraetorGradivus
Added some more background and a visual to my character.
Umidori
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Aug 19 2013, 04:04 PM) *

Does that sound right?

Slick's kinda... less a Detective and more of a... uhh...

Umm... Fink? Stoolie? Informant? He's not the "Gumshoe" kind of Snoop, but more the "Slimy Eel" kind of Snoop...

Wait! No! I got it!

crook /kɹʊk/ n. (pl. -s) - A person who steals, lies, cheats or does other dishonest or illegal things; a criminal.

biggrin.gif

~Umi
Lobo0705
Ok - the IC Topic is up and running - Each of you received a message from Chapel through your Commlinks (implanted or otherwise):

Hello,

I have some business that needs attending, and could benefit from your particular skillset. If you are interested please join me at the Augusta this evening at 20:00. There will be several others joining us, you may or may not be acquainted with them. I either know them all, or know someone who can vouch for them.

Looking forward to seeing you,

Chapel

P.S. Please dress appropriately.

A cursory examination of the Augusta's website shows the address as 1572 Lawrence Street, in the UCAS Sector. Jacket required, 20 nuyen.gif cover (there will be some light entertainment).

Looking forward to getting this one up and running smile.gif
TheOneRonin
Does the Agusta allow Concealed Carry?

Lobo0705
@TheOneRonin

Excellent question - but it does not. The only people who are allowed to carry weapons in the restaurant are those employed by the restaurant itself.
Lowmoan Spectacular
I'd like to make an Etiquette roll against both the guards and the maitre d' to improve their attitudes toward me (in case some shit should go down now or in the future). How do I handle conversations like that? Can I answer for an NPC based on a test, or do we post back and forth, or should we, like, hash it out in PMs and then I post it?
Lobo0705
@Lowmoan,

Another excellent question - and we'll all get this done together (while I've GM'd often, this is my first PbP).

I think it best we do this - post to the OOC thread what you want to do, and then post the dice you are rolling. I'll roll the dice and post the results of Invisible Castle to the OOC thread, along with the results in game. You then can write it up IC, send it to me in a PM, I'll take a quick look at it (and unless I have a HUGE problem with it, I'll give you the go ahead) - and then you can post it to the IC thread (this way the only thing that gets posted to the IC thread is something I've gone over, and we don't have people posting based on something that will need to get edited later.

Sound like a plan? Also - if you are unsure of how to do something, ask here or in a PM. For general rules questions - certainly in the beginning, asking here is better, since then we can all be on the same page how to do things (since we are all getting used to 5e smile.gif

For this specific question - how are you trying to improve their attitudes toward you? Are you trying to impress them? Charm them? Or are you simply attempting to avoid any social miscues that might make them think less of you? Depending on your answer, that will necessitate a different skill. (They would be, in order of the examples above, Negotiation, Con, and Etiquette).

Finally, if there is some sort of social test, when you post the dice you roll, give me a quick write up of how you are trying to do it, and that will serve as a positive/negative modifier to the die roll. Walking up to the guards and trying to impress them by showing them tricks you can do with your illegal weapons is going to give you a big negative. Flashing some nuyen.gif might give you a small positive modifier - you get the idea.

Any other questions, please ask smile.gif

P.S. Its about midnight here - signing off for the night - will be back on tomorrow.
Lowmoan Spectacular
Cool. Here is that stuff for your perusal tomorrow. So I will roll Etiquette tests against both the guards and the maitre d', which is 16 [9]. I'd say that I've been here a couple times before for meets with Chapel or other fixers, if that's alright to assume. To the guards, I'll reference the "altercation" you mentioned (it seemed like it must have been within a year at most the way you worded it, but if it's more this might not make sense) and tell them that I appreciate their professionalism and say that I always feel safe eating there, while trying not to sound too much like a smartass. Honestly I almost hope that roll doesn't go well, it would be a pretty hilarious faux pas. To the maitre d', I show that I remember him from the last time I was there and tip him 15 nuyen (which would be appropriate every couple of visits to a nice restaurant according to askmen.com, lol).
PraetorGradivus
After I'm seated at table but before Opti arrives I'll like to do a perception test to see what I notice about Chapel.
Perception(3) + Intuition(5) [Mental (8.)] -2 for being distracted by all the wealth being displayed by other customers at Augusta....6dice
After Opti arrives at table I do the same with him, without the penalty if its been more than 5 minutes since I got there... 6 or 8 dice.

Same test as each other arrives.
Umidori
Once I'm seated, I'd like to roll my Cyberware Scanner's dice to see if, by chance, I happen to pick up anything about the other folks at the table. Being a mere Rating 2, it only gets 2 Dice, but just one hit is enough to detect standard grade 'ware and implanted weapons, even if it doesn't provide much detail.

I think I'll also do a general Perception check to get my bearings and get a sense of my companions. Perception (5) + Intuition (6) [Mental (6)], -2 for Dessert Menu distraction. (I assume my "Searching" specialization typically only applies when I'm looking for a specific thing in an unknown location.)

~Umi
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Lowmoan Spectacular @ Aug 19 2013, 11:29 PM) *
Cool. Here is that stuff for your perusal tomorrow. So I will roll Etiquette tests against both the guards and the maitre d', which is 16 [9]. I'd say that I've been here a couple times before for meets with Chapel or other fixers, if that's alright to assume. To the guards, I'll reference the "altercation" you mentioned (it seemed like it must have been within a year at most the way you worded it, but if it's more this might not make sense) and tell them that I appreciate their professionalism and say that I always feel safe eating there, while trying not to sound too much like a smartass. Honestly I almost hope that roll doesn't go well, it would be a pretty hilarious faux pas. To the maitre d', I show that I remember him from the last time I was there and tip him 15 nuyen (which would be appropriate every couple of visits to a nice restaurant according to askmen.com, lol).

I'm going to assume you don't come armed, since you have been here before, and you are trying to make a good impression (unlike Slick wink.gif).

You approach the guards in a friendly fashion, (the altercation happened about a decade ago, sorry if it seemed more recent in my description so I'm assuming you won't mention it) rolling quite well getting 6 hits.
The guards smile at you when they pat you down - their range of expression just doesn't really include happy banter.

Once through security, you grease Charles' palm and he greets you with an obsequiousness that makes you want to shower.

Go ahead and write that up - if you have any questions, please ask smile.gif
Lobo0705
QUOTE (PraetorGradivus @ Aug 19 2013, 11:32 PM) *
After I'm seated at table but before Opti arrives I'll like to do a perception test to see what I notice about Chapel.
Perception(3) + Intuition(5) [Mental (8.)] -2 for being distracted by all the wealth being displayed by other customers at Augusta....6dice
After Opti arrives at table I do the same with him, without the penalty if its been more than 5 minutes since I got there... 6 or 8 dice.

Same test as each other arrives.

Chapel

Opti

Stuntman

And I'm assuming Slick is late, so you don't take the penalty:
Slick

Would you like to spend an Edge to avoid the glitch on Chapel?

Everyone else, please PM Praetor with what his perception checks notice about you - whatever description you want to give bearing in mind his successes (and if you are carrying anything, the threshold on page 420 for hidden gear). Praetor, once you get that, you can write up IC how Hosepipe reacts.
Umidori
Slick had to walk, not having a vehicle, but he also appreciates paying work, so he'd have left roughly when he needed to and is probably no more than five minutes late.

~Umi
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 20 2013, 06:56 AM) *
Once I'm seated, I'd like to roll my Cyberware Scanner's dice to see if, by chance, I happen to pick up anything about the other folks at the table. Being a mere Rating 2, it only gets 2 Dice, but just one hit is enough to detect standard grade 'ware and implanted weapons, even if it doesn't provide much detail.

I think I'll also do a general Perception check to get my bearings and get a sense of my companions. Perception (5) + Intuition (6) [Mental (6)], -2 for Dessert Menu distraction. (I assume my "Searching" specialization typically only applies when I'm looking for a specific thing in an unknown location.)

~Umi

Your Cyberware scanner:

Here are your rolls
In order from top to bottom:
Hosepipe
Opti
Stuntman

You can tell that Hosepipe has cybereyes, but apparently no other cyberware, and 30 lights up like a Christmas tree under your scanner. You get no readings at all from Opti or Stuntman.

Your Perception Check

With 1 success you aren't going to notice much more that the obvious goings on of the restaurant - the desserts must have been very tantalizing smile.gif
TheOneRonin
Does 30 recognize any of the other guys at the table with Chapel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012