Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Projectile Lynchpins
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 14 2013, 03:37 PM) *
Indeed, it does matter. It desperately needs clarification.

Tell us .... more .....about this word..... clarification. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 14 2013, 02:47 PM) *
Tell us .... more .....about this word..... clarification. nyahnyah.gif

It is that thing you do with Butter, right? wobble.gif
Umidori
I thought it was the thing you had to have done when you had Hard Water?

~Umi
shinryu
this game needs clarifications, large sections rewritten, and possibly being burned to the ground and salted over. for all that i like in 5th ed, it's amazing how much a little bit of looking at the numbers is making me sour on it at this point. sigh.

edit: the mention of using anchored magics as preparations in 4th lead me to the conditions for contact triggers in 4th in street magic. looks like the triggers are basically anybody, anybody but the mage, and one specific person you've assensed. so there's precedent for being able to handle your own contact preparations. as long as we can figure out what contact means at some point.
Daedelus
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 13 2013, 01:21 PM) *
Ummm...Loading the weapon or clip requires a living being... smile.gif

Or Magic Fingers.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Daedelus @ Aug 23 2013, 01:42 PM) *
Or Magic Fingers.

Which is an aura (of the caster) all its own. smile.gif
Daedelus
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 23 2013, 12:44 PM) *
Which is an aura (of the caster) all its own. smile.gif

Is it a living aura? If so then you could deliver a healing spell by touching a magic finger spell?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Daedelus @ Aug 23 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Is it a living aura? If so then you could deliver a healing spell by touching a magic finger spell?

Just pointing out that a spell has an Aura. Personally, I think the rules for alchemy (or whatever we are calling it now) are just dumb. wobble.gif
Modular Man
QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 13 2013, 12:16 PM) *
Do you, as the preparation creator, default to the spell "controller"? Do the effects of these preparations entirely rely upon the creator's input at the time of their activation, or can you maybe preprogram "commands" into the preparation? For example, if you tag someone with a "Levitation" preparation that they fail to resist, can it just automatically lift them straight upwards for as long as the effect is sustained, regardless of your own personal commands, or even line of sight?

All game mechanics aside (I'm not even familiar with SR5 yet, let me come back to that...), you reminded me of something biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Fringe)
Peter Bishop: If we shoot 'em, they're dead. Why do we want 'em to float away?
Dr. Walter Bishop: Because it's cool.

Damn right!
Also, very interesting ideas. Food for thought...

QUOTE (shinryu @ Aug 14 2013, 02:12 AM) *
if by some dipshit ruling magic arrowheads go away (kinda on the fence with magic bullets, honestly), may i suggest the obvious alternative for contact preparations?

ping-pong ball guns.

ping-pong ball small, workable with hands? check. you can probably get 'em in some minimally processed magic friendly composition. write your angry curse on them and pop pop your death touches away. can't argue these get destroyed on impact, can you?

too much object resistance in ping pong balls? only one solution then. potato gun.

please don't make me trade my crossbow or my revolver for a potato gun, catalyst. seriously, please don't.

There's also nail guns. If you want to use projectiles that you have a chance of seeing them after hitting, you can go with those. Less volume, more ammo - and they're pointy!
On a side note, I just envisioned several ideas for those (like use of poison) in SR4A, let's see how my GM takes that... The ability to nail doors shut alone is good.
Of course, there are drawbacks considering range in comparison with actual guns.
Oh, and thanks for the idea of the potato gun. This will be awesome biggrin.gif
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Aug 23 2013, 07:57 PM) *
All game mechanics aside (I'm not even familiar with SR5 yet, let me come back to that...), you reminded me of something biggrin.gif

Damn right!
Also, very interesting ideas. Food for thought...

There's also nail guns. If you want to use projectiles that you have a chance of seeing them after hitting, you can go with those. Less volume, more ammo - and they're pointy!
On a side note, I just envisioned several ideas for those (like use of poison) in SR4A, let's see how my GM takes that... The ability to nail doors shut alone is good.
Of course, there are drawbacks considering range in comparison with actual guns.
Oh, and thanks for the idea of the potato gun. This will be awesome biggrin.gif

Dart guns with narcojet+spell would be pretty brutal and the dart isn't getting damaged by the gun. Though honestly if arrows, bolts, knives are in there is no reason to crap on guns. It is just a matter of style at that point not balance. And I personally think a revolver loaded with 6 different spells which your smart gun cycles to would be freaking cool, sure 6 different knives that you ready and throw as you want is just as effective, just not as cool IMO.
Umidori
I'm actually annoyed that the Eichiro Hatamoto II isn't available in SR5 yet. Being a single shot mondo-caliber gun, it would be pretty much perfect for creating a Starwind style Caster.

~Umi
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 23 2013, 07:17 PM) *
I'm actually annoyed that the Eichiro Hatamoto II isn't available in SR5 yet. Being a single shot mondo-caliber gun, it would be pretty much perfect for creating a Starwind style Caster.

~Umi

Okay I don't know the reference, Starwind?
Smash
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 24 2013, 06:06 AM) *
Just pointing out that a spell has an Aura. Personally, I think the rules for alchemy (or whatever we are calling it now) are just dumb. wobble.gif

100% Agreed. I think they've been tacked on because other games like D&D have characters heavily investing in magical items. But in Shadowrun, there is no fire and forget spell system so you can almost always cast whatever spell you need whenever you want.
Umidori
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Aug 23 2013, 09:14 PM) *
Okay I don't know the reference, Starwind?

Technically, I suppose a more apt term, although even more obscure and confusing, might be Tenrei Style, or Hagone Style, or perhaps even Mount Nantai or Mt. Nyotai Style, depending on which of the "Priests"/"Wizards" made the specific spell gun in question, assuming it was even any of those three at all!

biggrin.gif

~Umi
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 24 2013, 03:31 AM) *
Technically, I suppose a more apt term, although even more obscure and confusing, might be Tenrei Style, or Hagone Style, or perhaps even Mount Nantai or Mt. Nyotai Style, depending on which of the "Priests"/"Wizards" made the specific spell gun in question, assuming it was even any of those three at all!

biggrin.gif

~Umi

Still Obscure... Guess we will have to look it up. nyahnyah.gif wobble.gif
quentra
I believe Umi is referencing a space cowboy anime called Outlaw Star. The main character, Gene Starwind, used a gun with magic bullets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012