Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Condition Monitors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ringham
I know this is probably a simple question, but what are the penalties for overfilling the stun condition monitor? I know you get the -1 per full row of stun/physical damage. And I know that overflow stun damage gets converted to physical damage at 2 stun to 1 physical conversion rate. But is there anything else, like being knocked unconscious?

What methods are there for knocking out an opponent? I saw the subduing rules and the Tranq slap patch allow you to add stun damage to the target. But try as I might I couldn't find a place that said excessive stun damage actually knocked out the opponent. I did a fair amount of searching through the forums, but I didn't see anyone else talking about it. So it's probably something in bold print right in the book that I missed.

And on to Physical damage overflow. If you overflow your physical condition monitor you risk death. If you go over the physical condition monitor by more than your Body you are dead. But do you fall unconscious as soon as you get in to physical damage overflow or are you still good to keep swinging/shooting until you take (Body) more damage?
xsansara
I couldn't believe it, but I checked every mention of "unconscious" in the rule book.

Although in many cases the rule that you fall unconscious when your Stun monitor is filled is mentioned implicitly, it is, in fact, never mentioned explicitly. The rule can be infered from some mentions, e.g. in the "Resist Pain" spell, but it remains completely unclear, if you fall unconscious when the monitor fills or when it overflows.

(Combining this with a comment on the "Stunball" spell, it seems like at least the author of the magic chapter assumed that the rule is "unconcious when Stun monitor filled". )

The same situation arises for the Physical Monitor.

StreetDoc
It's actually pretty simple

Stun fills -> Pay StreetDoc some creds

Stun overflows into physical -> Pay StreetDoc more creds

Physical fills -> Pay StreetDoc lots of creds

Physical begins to overflow -> Pay StreetDoc lots more creds

Physical completely overflows -> StreetDoc goes through your pockets and looks for loose change.

...And gets a shiny new commlink

...And recycles any 'ware you have.

...And sells your parts to the Organ Grinders.
xsansara
Sure it is simple, the point of this thread is that it is not in RAW.
Linkdeath
Wow, that's really interesting! It's something that those of us who have played for so long just take for granted, I guess! (shame on us)

Anyway, the best explanation I could find was in the Final Calculations section where it says, "Every character has a Condition Monitor that tells the Player how much Physical and Stun damage they can take before falling unconscious." (SR5, p.100)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Linkdeath @ Aug 26 2013, 01:34 PM) *
Wow, that's really interesting! It's something that those of us who have played for so long just take for granted, I guess! (shame on us)

Anyway, the best explanation I could find was in the Final Calculations section where it says, "Every character has a Condition Monitor that tells the Player how much Physical and Stun damage they can take before falling unconscious." (SR5, p.100)

Good Find... And plenty enough for me. *shrug*
DrZaius
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 26 2013, 04:21 PM) *
Good Find... And plenty enough for me. *shrug*

Still- this is something that probably should be mentioned in the errata thread...

-DrZ
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Aug 26 2013, 02:27 PM) *
Still- this is something that probably should be mentioned in the errata thread...

-DrZ

Probably... smile.gif
Linkdeath
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 26 2013, 02:32 PM) *
Probably... smile.gif

Consider it mentioned. (mainly because it now has)
Shemhazai
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Aug 26 2013, 03:27 PM) *

-DrZ

I think I did that when the previews were out.
FuelDrop
Am I the only one who's reminded of when that other game failed to specify what 'dead' meant so people abused the 'dead' condition's lack of debilitating in-game effects?
Sendaz
ZombieRun™

Why left a full condition bar slow you down?
Chinane
QUOTE (xsansara @ Aug 24 2013, 04:50 PM) *
I couldn't believe it, but I checked every mention of "unconscious" in the rule book.

Although in many cases the rule that you fall unconscious when your Stun monitor is filled is mentioned implicitly, it is, in fact, never mentioned explicitly.

p. 137 in using survival:

"If your Stun Condition Monitor overflows and you fall unconscious"
xsansara
Well, according to Aristotelian logic, this only means that if both A and B are true, then C (which is cut off) is enacted.

If it would say, e.g.

"If your Stun Condition Monitor overflows and you have Willpower less than 4, then..."

You would never assume that an overflowing Stun Condition Monitor had anything to do with your Willpower rating.

Even so, should RAW mean that you do not fall unconscious with a merely full track, but only with an overflowing track, then it would be immensely helpful, if that would be stated somewhere that is not a description of something else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012