Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extended axe weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nemo157
I'm currently working on a 5e melee oriented character inspired from Norse mythologies. Looking at the suitable weapons it's basically just the Combat Axe and hatchet flavoured throwing knives, so I decided to try and design a few more axes based around the stats for the existing blade weapons. Thought I might as well post them on here and see if anyone has any feedback?

CODE
                Accur  Reach  Damage   AP  Avail   Cost
Battle Axe        5      1   (STR+3)P  −3    9R   1,000
Axe               4      1   (STR+3)P  −2    -      100
Combat Hatchet    5      -   (STR+2)P  −3    5      500
Survival Hatchet  4      -   (STR+2)P  −2    1      200
Hatchet           4      -   (STR+2)P  −1    -       30
                                                                                     Range
                       Accuracy          Damage   AP  Avail  Cost    Short     Medium     Long      Extreme
Throwing Hatchet   Physical Limit − 1   (STR+1)P  −2    5R    40    0 - STR   to 2 STR   to 3 STR   to 4 STR

Battle Axe
A one-handed axe designed specifically for fighting, based on the Combat Axe stats. Being a shorter axe I feel it would be easier to handle giving it +1 accuracy but −1 reach. Smaller head gives −1 damage and lighter weight reduces inertia behind the swing removes −1 AP. Concealability modifier +6, probably overall smaller than a Katana but the shape would make it harder to hide (I also notice the Combat Axe isn’t listed in the concealability table, +10/fuggedaboutit?).

Axe
A normal axe designed for chopping wood, generally would be used two handed but a high strength character would be able to wield it one handed. Stats based on the battle axe as it will be more similar in design to it. Since it’s not weighted for fighting reduced the accuracy by 2, it retains the 1 reach as it’s a large melee weapon. Still has a similar sized head so keeps the same damage code, but since it’s more designed for cutting wood than armour removes −1 AP. Concealability +6.

Combat Hatchet
A small one-handed axe designed for fighting, based on the Combat Knife stats. Being slightly larger and having less damaging area gives it −1 accuracy, but other than that basically the same. Concealability 0.

Survival Hatchet
Basically the same as the survival knife, all the same extras hidden on it somehow. Has a bit more heft to it and stronger to be used for cutting through saplings and the like means it has an additional −1 AP at a −1 accuracy reduction. Concealability +2.

Hatchet
Basic hatchet for cutting up kindling, etc., same as a knife but −1 accuracy, +1 damage from larger size. Concealability +2.

Throwing Hatchet
Miniature sub-one-handed axe weighted and shaped to be thrown. Slightly larger than a throwing knife so −1 accuracy and −1 to final range multiplier but an additional −1AP. Would also contemplate going with only being able to ready AGI∕3 (round up) per Ready Weapon action to represent the hinderance when removing them. Concealability −2 individually.

Just thinking about the concealability of the throwing hatchets brings up another point, what are the options for storing throwing weapons on the body? The Quick Draw and Ready Weapon actions mention melee and throwing weapons in sheathes. In the case of throwing weapons I would expect there to be some form of multi-weapon sheath, especially with the small size of shuriken. I guess if you’re using one the concealability would be based on the size of the sheath. I would also expect there to be concealable/quick draw variants of the sheathes for both melee and throwing weapons.
Medicineman
Good idea, but I bet there will be stats for Axes in the....Run&Gun Compendium

You should add stats for the Wallacher Axe and the Centurion Laser Axe

And a WiFi Bonus (in SR5 everything has a WiFi Bonus (have a look at the Throwing knifes))
Readying an Axe becomes a free Action instead of a simple Action

with a WiFI Dance
Medicineman
SpellBinder
Survival Hatchet Wireless Bonus: +2 DP bonus to any and all Survival tests

Hatchet Wireless Bonus: Can split a wood log for firewood as a Free Action rather than a Complex Action
FuelDrop
You know, a universal wilderness survival booklet stored on the internal memory of a survival knife/axe would actually be a decent idea. there are problems, sure, but I believe that Shadowrun battery life is sufficient that it would be viable.
Nemo157
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Aug 28 2013, 06:33 PM) *
Good idea, but I bet there will be stats for Axes in the....Run&Gun Compendium

Good point, but how long till that will come out? I guess I could take a look at the 4e books to see what sort of stats they give.

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 28 2013, 07:18 PM) *
Survival Hatchet Wireless Bonus: +2 DP bonus to any and all Survival tests

The survival hatchet is already giving a +2DP modifier to survival tests from the "Camping/survival gear on hand" situation. I would go with a bonus of +1 to limit of survival tests similar to datasofts/mapsofts.

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Aug 28 2013, 09:58 PM) *
You know, a universal wilderness survival booklet stored on the internal memory of a survival knife/axe would actually be a decent idea. there are problems, sure, but I believe that Shadowrun battery life is sufficient that it would be viable.

Battery life probably wouldn't even matter much, assuming it uses solid state storage to get around the potential knocks it would be taking, then when not being accessed it shouldn't use any power. The power required to access it would then be able to be recharged via induction when on wireless, at least according to the shock gloves bonus. When off wireless I could easily see it having multi-week battery life, and could also have a builtin motion charging system. I would be more worried about whatever device is being used to access it, unless there's been some major breakthrough in battery technology I wouldn't see a normal commlink having more than a weeks battery life.
SpellBinder
Was trying to make up a dumbass wireless bonus that would actually be extremely silly, like the regular hatchet. Was expecting that if you were to actually need that wireless bonus to Survival, you would be outside of matrix coverage short of having a real satellite link-up. Otherwise you'd be in an area where S&R could triangulate your exact location (assuming GPS isn't working) and you'd be home in time for tea and biscuits.
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Aug 28 2013, 01:58 AM) *
It'll never happen in SR5. At best, despite the virtually unlimited data storage space in everything electronic, it'll be a wireless bonus requiring access to the matrix in order to actually access said survival booklet.
Medicineman
....I wonder what happens if You Hack & Brick WiFI online Batteries....

with a Dance on the Wall
Medicineman
SpellBinder
The object they're in takes Continual Acid Damage?
Sendaz
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Aug 28 2013, 12:50 PM) *
....I wonder what happens if You Hack & Brick WiFI online Batteries....

with a Dance on the Wall
Medicineman

Heh

Better question is how would you fix a bricked battery?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 28 2013, 09:55 AM) *
Heh

Better question is how would you fix a bricked battery?

Obviously, you would stand and stare at it for an Hour, and it will then work again. smile.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 28 2013, 12:08 PM) *
Obviously, you would stand and stare at it for an Hour, and it will then work again. smile.gif

or, with enough hits, you can fix it in a few seconds smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ Aug 28 2013, 11:50 AM) *
or, with enough hits, you can fix it in a few seconds smile.gif

Accumulated by standing around and watching it, of course. nyahnyah.gif
Shemhazai
I created a few axe stats for 4E because I thought that the reach of the combat axe was too much.

I have a battleaxe, Ares Combat Axe, and a Dwarven axe that has a high minimum strength to wield. The Ares Combat Axe has lower damage than in the book.

I don't know what the new stats would be because I've never played with weapon accuracy, so I've got no idea what would be appropriate. I'm lost so far on the new combat system damages.
Jaid
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 28 2013, 04:08 PM) *
Accumulated by standing around and watching it, of course. nyahnyah.gif

well, you also have to hold an electronics kit in your hands, i think. but it helps if you also have more people staring at it (and they don't need to have electronics kits) if they're good at it.

not to mention that you can also stare at things through other objects... you can, for example, stare at someone's reaction enhancers which are quite securely inside their body with no logical reason for any part to be external, according to the dev team.
FuelDrop
My god, the staring... they can see into my soul! *flees*
Dancer
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Aug 28 2013, 09:58 AM) *

You could do that, but without some means of displaying the information it would be useless. And if you've got some display-capable electronics (eyeglasses, simlink) etc then you should put all your books on that.
I can see tools coming with a free (sponsored) copy of a survival manual though.

Really, given a few days and a couple thousand nuyen a Shadowrun character should be able to load up his electronics with detailed textbooks on just about every non-classified topic imaginable, so he'll always have them without needing matrix access. Unless you're a luddite reference material should be pretty much assumed (and you get a penalty for not having it).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ Aug 28 2013, 08:35 PM) *
well, you also have to hold an electronics kit in your hands, i think. but it helps if you also have more people staring at it (and they don't need to have electronics kits) if they're good at it.

not to mention that you can also stare at things through other objects... you can, for example, stare at someone's reaction enhancers which are quite securely inside their body with no logical reason for any part to be external, according to the dev team.

Indeed... The sheer power of the Stare is mind boggling.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dancer @ Aug 29 2013, 03:55 AM) *
You could do that, but without some means of displaying the information it would be useless. And if you've got some display-capable electronics (eyeglasses, simlink) etc then you should put all your books on that.
I can see tools coming with a free (sponsored) copy of a survival manual though.

Really, given a few days and a couple thousand nuyen a Shadowrun character should be able to load up his electronics with detailed textbooks on just about every non-classified topic imaginable, so he'll always have them without needing matrix access. Unless you're a luddite reference material should be pretty much assumed (and you get a penalty for not having it).

It could be sound enabled... no need for a display at all. smile.gif
AS for purchase of Knowsofts/Datasofts... Who doesn't do that? I always tend to fill in any gaps of Knowledge SKills with some choice Knowsofts/Datasofts.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Aug 28 2013, 10:58 AM) *
You know, a universal wilderness survival booklet stored on the internal memory of a survival knife

Personality software: Bear Grylls
Sendaz
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Aug 31 2013, 09:40 AM) *
Personality software: Bear Grylls

Could go one better and have it contain some CFD nanites with a Bear Gryllis sort of e-persona. nyahnyah.gif
Tias
This says more about me than you, but I immediately thought of telescoping-handled battle axes for cutting down pesky trolls, distant tree trunks and drones!

Damn, we have to dash together an Extended Handle modification now, don't we? biggrin.gif
psychophipps
Extended handles are for chumps! What we need is an Alita Battle Angel-type Rocket Axe!™.
SpellBinder
I thought he used a hammer, like the ork Tankbustas in WH40K.
psychophipps
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Sep 4 2014, 03:59 PM) *
I thought he used a hammer, like the ork Tankbustas in WH40K.

Yes, but it's a well-known fact that axes are far cooler than hammers...
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Sep 4 2014, 11:31 PM) *
Yes, but it's a well-known fact that axes are far cooler than hammers...

VIKTOR WOULD LIKE TO HAVE WORD WITH YOU ABOUT THAT.

-V
psychophipps
Victor has Bulldog's commlink code. They can have that chat any time he's feeling frisky...
Sendaz
*selling tickets and taking bets, you know the commcode*
Temperance
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 9 2014, 11:32 PM) *
VIKTOR WOULD LIKE TO HAVE WORD WITH YOU ABOUT THAT.

As would Thor and Mjolnir. Wait, wrong universe. Damn it. But then, as a custom weapon & ki focus, Mjolnir might work.

-Temperance
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012