Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question concerning damage against vehicle armor.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jyster
I'm firing a pistol 4P damage, against a vehicle 12 armor, do my net successes add to the damage value of the attack?

So does that mean if I get 12 net successes I could actually damage the vehicle with a hold out pistol?

I do understand the vehicle gets a resistance body roll.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jyster @ Sep 25 2013, 06:49 PM) *
do my net successes add to the damage value of the attack?

...Yes. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't.
Dolanar
though admittedly getting 12 successes would require an Act of God. (Or a really good reroll with Edge & a insane Dicepool)
RHat
QUOTE (Jyster @ Sep 25 2013, 04:49 PM) *
I'm firing a pistol 4P damage, against a vehicle 12 armor, do my net successes add to the damage value of the attack?

So does that mean if I get 12 net successes I could actually damage the vehicle with a hold out pistol?

I do understand the vehicle gets a resistance body roll.

Net hits are always added to damage before any comparison to armour. The force of a bullet's impact in the exact right spot could damage anything, it's just highly improbable in some cases.
SpellBinder
Especially at 4P vs. 12 armor. I'd suggest a bigger gun, preferably something with an APDS load. smile.gif
Dolanar
APDS loaded into most holdouts runs you up to 4P & -4 AP meaning to do any damage you need at least 5 hits to do eve 1 damage., but you can make that easier by getting a Light or even a Heavy Pistol.

ideally I'd suggest a Superhawk 6P -6 AP when loaded with APDS leaving you much better off with trying to overcome a vehicle's armor.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Sep 25 2013, 06:46 PM) *
though admittedly getting 12 successes would require an Act of God. (Or a really good reroll with Edge & a insane Dicepool)

Not that hard, actually (at least, not in the Act of God category)... with a Dice pool of 14, I often hit in the 8-12 Hit range (Open Rolls on Table). Well, often enough that it became a joke, since I was using Less-than-Lethal rounds (Light Pistol with DMSO/Narcojet Ammo) designed to not kill my target, and I would end up killing my target. No Edge Rolls required (Edge 2 Character). Yes, it is outside the realms of consistent probability, but at least for that character, it happened more often than not. It was very strange.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 26 2013, 09:07 AM) *
It was very strange.

I knew a guy like that. Building D&D 3.5 characters using the least-beneficial roll mechanism possible (roll 3d6) he would routinely roll 3 or more 16+, including an 18 (I don't think I ever witnessed him NOT rolling at least one 18). It was so routine when he ran his own campaign he ended up doing the dice rolling for 2/3rds of the party because he wanted to make sure that the characters had high enough base stats.

Shame he was such an asshole.
Modular Man
AV ammunition also comes to mind. Sure, it's expensive and thus not suitable for Spray'n'Pray, but a few rounds are always handy to have if the situation really calls for it. They tend to wreak havoc on drones with their low body stats and double as a costly APDS substitute if you need one, too.
Angelone
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 26 2013, 08:17 AM) *
I knew a guy like that. Building D&D 3.5 characters using the least-beneficial roll mechanism possible (roll 3d6) he would routinely roll 3 or more 16+, including an 18 (I don't think I ever witnessed him NOT rolling at least one 18). It was so routine when he ran his own campaign he ended up doing the dice rolling for 2/3rds of the party because he wanted to make sure that the characters had high enough base stats.

Shame he was such an asshole.

That's my useless superpower, I roll dice extremely well. I'm the dice whisperer.
Dolanar
well for the average player to get 12 hits (in my experience) you need a huge Dicepool. I was rolling 20+ dice on my sniper & rarely got more than 6-9 dice & the 9's w.ere usually if I had used some edge to reroll my pool of no successes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012