Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob here, rate/comment on my first character please
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sylverlokk
I have never played Shadowrun before, in any version, live or on pc. The closest I have gotten to Shadowrun is reading a novel in the 90's.
Recently, I signed up for a roll20 online Shadowrun game which is scheduled to start in a few weeks. I read/skimmed the pdf and made a character, who is supposed to be a total mage package.

Having never played the game before I would like a critique or any suggestions on how to improve my character or if hes gonna get killed first session by some obvious flaw I just didn't see. Any other comments or suggestions will be welcomed as well. This is SR5 btw. I couldn't find any place that had an editable sr5 char sheet, and Mythweavers didn't either so I made my character as a text file in notepad.

If I purchased the Bonded Summoner Foci during character creation with karma, does that mean I must also pay for it in money from my money allocated during char creation?

Human Male, 23 years old, caucasion. 6'4" tall, 164 pounds. "Lanky"
Metatype E Human (1): Attributes C 16: Magic A **Magic skill 6, 2 rating 5 magic skills (***Assensing, Astral Combat), 10 Spells (Acid Stream, Manabolt, Stunball, Heal, Improved Invisibility,

Control Action, Ice Sheet, Levitate, Mana Barrier, Physical Barrier): Skills B 36/5 (see below): Resources D 50,000 Y

Stat Beg Buy End
Body 1/6 3 4/6
Agi 1/6 1 2/6
Rea 1/6 1 2/6
Str 1/6 1 2/6
Wil 1/6 1 2/6
Log 1/6 2 3/6
Int 1/6 5 6/6
Cha 1/6 2 3/6
Edg 2/7 0 2/7
Mag 1/6 6** 7/7 *
ESS 6/6 0 6/6
Initiative: 8 + 1d6
Astral Initiative: 12 + 2d6
Composure: Wil+Cha = 5
Judge Intentions: Int+Cha = 9
Memory: Log+Wil = 5
Lift/Carry: Lift 15kg x Str = 30kg
If >30 then Str + Bod; Carry 10 x Str = 20kg
Movement: Walk 4, run 8, sprint + 2m per hit.

Physical Limit: ((Strx2)+Bod+Rea)/3 = 4
Mental Limit: ((Logx2)+Int+Wil)/3 = 5
Social Limit: ((Chax2)+Wil+ESS)/3 = 5

Qualities-Positive 25 Karma to start.

*Exceptional Attribute: Magic -14 Karma cost.
Mentor Spirit: Eagle - 5 Karma cost.
Quick Healer -3 Karma cost.
============
3 Karma remaining.
Qualities-Negative
Corporate Born SINner 25 Karma given.
=============
28 Karma remaining. (Continued Below at karma Purchases)

Skills
Skill group Sorcery at 5 = Spellcasting 5 Counterspelling 5 Ritual Spellcasting 5
***Assensing 5
***Astral Combat 5
Banishing 6
Binding 6
Summoning 6
Summoning 6
Pistols 4
First Aid 4
Artificing 4
Swimming 2
Perception 4

Knowledge skills - Street: Gang Hideouts, Sprawl Life-Scavenging,
Sprawl Life-Street Docs, Sprawl Life-Drug Dens, Spral Life-Squats, Dance Club Bouncers,
Dance Club Bartenders, Cabbies.

Knowledge skills - Interest: Urban Tags, Matrix Games, Optical Illusions.
Language Skills: Cityspeak, Street, Wizards Cant.

Karma Purchases = 3 Bound Spirits, (Water, Man, Earth) 4 tasks each = 12 karma
Bonded Summoner Foci - Air Spirits - Force 6 = 12 karma
4 extra Connection/Loyalty pts for contacts = 4 karma
============
28 Karma Spent
0 Karma remaining.

Free contact karma = Cha x 3 = 9
Contact Connection Loyalty
Herb Store guy(Street Doc) 3+1=4 4+1 =5
Street Musician-Sax 1+1=2 1+1 =2

Gear:
Ruger Super Hawk 400Y
Gas Vent system - Barrel - 3R 600Y
Speed Loader 25Y
Armor Piercing Rounds x 4 480Y
Bonded Spirit Foci 24000Y* Purchased this with karma do not know if I need to also pay credits or not.
Reagents 50 grams 1000Y
Armored Clothing 450Y
Lined Coat 900Y
Medkit (Rating 6) 1500Y
Medkit Supplies x 6 600Y
Antidote patch (rating 6) x 2 600Y
Stim patch (rating 6) x 2 600Y
Trauma patch x 3 1500Y
Standard Credstick 500 Y 520Y
Standard Credstick 2000Y 2020Y
Fake SIN R3 "Charlie" 7500Y
Fake SIN R1 "Stan the Man" 2500Y
Fake Gun License-Ruger R4-Charlie 800Y
Fake Spellcasting License R4-Charlie 800Y
Fake Concealed Carry R4 Charlie 800Y
=================================================
50000Y - 47595Y = 2405Y remaining.
Dolanar
Foci: you pay for them with nuyen, then you bond them with karma. Also keep an eye on your availability for foci.

I also do not see the purchase of the 7th point of magic, exceptional attribute only allows you to get up to 7 at creation, you still need to buy the next step up.
DeathStrobe
Yes, you do need to pay both for foci with karma to bond with it, and money to actually buy it. Also, you can only get them at rating 4 for all but weapon and power foci which can only be bought at rating 3 at char gen.

Your drain dice seem pretty low, so it'll make soaking drain from spells pretty difficult. You want to be a mage, right? Get logic and will power as high as you can. Priority C attributes is pretty hard to work with to help round you out, so I'd recommend trying to pump up your specialization, which will be magic, so go all out on your mental stats.

You don't really need a focus, they're really nice, but they're more of something to pick up to help increase your power as you play, since you're not going to have many nuyen sinks, like the sams and deckers. So I might not recommend even bothering with a foci at chargen.

In fact, I might recommend dropping your resource priority to E and your metatype up to D, so you can get more edge. The more edge you have, the better it gets. So if you want to use edge on a test, you add your entire edge pool to the test, and you can use that as many times as you have edge points. On top of that, it allows you to push the limit and create very powerful spells with little drain.

I might recommend replacing stunball with another elemental indirect AOE spell. AoE spells are nice, since they can't be dodged very easily(or at all). And stunball is a direct spell, so its nice for groups, but won't be hitting very hard.
paws2sky
So, at a glance...

What's your character's Magical Tradition? Well, either way, it looks like you have only 5 dice to resist drain. That's going to suck for you. I recommend a higher Willpower, at the very least.

You have Summoning listed twice on your skills.

Eagle is kind of a harsh mentor. You have huge dice pools where it counts, I guess. Still, I would expect the GM to be using Eagle's disadvantage against you frequently.

You have an Astral Limit of 5. (For future reference, Astral Limit is equal to the higher of either your Mental or Social Limit.)

You do need to pay cash to buy your foci, as well as karma to bond it.

The Ruger Super Warhawk is a Single Shot weapon. There is no need to buy a Gas Vent for it.

You're better off buying a Rating 4 Fake SIN instead of two lower rating ones. Also, buying your fake licenses at the same level as your fake SIN seems like a best practice (by my reading of how identity checks work).

Dolanar
Deathstrobe: stunball is the aoe, stunbolt is the direct

As mentoned, drain stats are important for all mages, I would guess you are going for an intuition tradition (also important to choose) whxixh means it will be int+wil for drain (8 dice) for drain tests. You also resist drain on summoning new spirits, keep that in mind as well.
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Nov 3 2013, 05:57 PM) *
Deathstrobe: stunball is the aoe, stunbolt is the direct

As mentoned, drain stats are important for all mages, I would guess you are going for an intuition tradition (also important to choose) whxixh means it will be int+wil for drain (8 dice) for drain tests. You also resist drain on summoning new spirits, keep that in mind as well.

I know that. I should clarify. I think manabolt fills the similar niche as stunball fills, so I feel its redundant to have them both. I'd pick up an elemental indirect spell in its place.
Dolanar
Sorry your post said stunball was a direct lol
Epicedion
Two quick things:

1) Corporate SIN is a really nasty negative quality. Be sure to understand the implications before settling on it.

2) Knowledge skills need ratings. You appear to have picked them all at rating 1.
Sylverlokk
Thanks for all the replies.

When you say "Magical Tradition" you mean Hermetic or Shaman right? Other then lore text is there any functional difference to the way they work?
The way I understood it, was one of them you cast spells and the other you summon spirits that do your commands. Is there any specific difference that one tradition or the other is better at? I had intended to cover both bases but wanted to primarily be a Shaman.

Ok now to individual comments.

1) Corporate SIN is a really nasty negative quality. Be sure to understand the implications before settling on it.

I didn't really understand why this was so bad. If you use fake Sins how would anyone else know you were a Corporate Born? How often do Fake Sins "break" in practice? Aside from the 10% income tax, and the need for Fake sins all the time (I assumed everyone needed Fake Sins all the time so that didn't seem like such a high cost) why is this one so bad?

2) Knowledge skills need ratings. You appear to have picked them all at rating 1.

Thanks I did not know that.

Eagle is kind of a harsh mentor. You have huge dice pools where it counts, I guess. Still, I would expect the GM to be using Eagle's disadvantage against you frequently.

You have an Astral Limit of 5. (For future reference, Astral Limit is equal to the higher of either your Mental or Social Limit.)

You're better off buying a Rating 4 Fake SIN instead of two lower rating ones. Also, buying your fake licenses at the same level as your fake SIN seems like a best practice (by my reading of how identity checks work).

Thanks will change Eagle to a different one.

Is Astral limit the limit on dice I can use for successes in Astral combat or assensing?

Will fix the SIN differences thanks.

In fact, I might recommend dropping your resource priority to E and your metatype up to D, so you can get more edge. The more edge you have, the better it gets. So if you want to use edge on a test, you add your entire edge pool to the test, and you can use that as many times as you have edge points. On top of that, it allows you to push the limit and create very powerful spells with little drain.

Would it be worth it to drop Skills down and increase metatype?
In general which would you rate more important, higher stats or skills at the start?

I also do not see the purchase of the 7th point of magic, exceptional attribute only allows you to get up to 7 at creation, you still need to buy the next step up.

Ahh ok I thought the magic 6 buy added the 6 pts to the initial 1 not just made it 6. Will fix.

Gonna take another day to read more then post a new version. Thanks again for all the help, this game seems much harder to learn then D&D.
Ard3
QUOTE (Sylverlokk @ Nov 4 2013, 01:52 PM) *
When you say "Magical Tradition" you mean Hermetic or Shaman right? Other then lore text is there any functional difference to the way they work?

You pick on or the other.
Hermetics use Wil+Log as to resist Drain, Shamans use Wil+Cha. Spirits available to summon and to what spell categories they match depends on tradition.
Both can cast spells and use spirits. It depends totally on skills what both can do.
As Hermetics tend to have high Log they tend to gravitate skills that link to log. Shamans have same with Cha linked skills.

I didn't really understand why this was so bad. If you use fake Sins how would anyone else know you were a Corporate Born? How often do Fake Sins "break" in practice? Aside from the 10% income tax, and the need for Fake sins all the time (I assumed everyone needed Fake Sins all the time so that didn't seem like such a high cost) why is this one so bad?

For recognition: dna, fingerprints, facial recognition and as you are a mage astral signatures too.
Every time you use magic you leave astral signature that lasts Force hours. You can use complex action to reduce it 1 hour per action, but there might not be always time for that.

Would it be worth it to drop Skills down and increase metatype?
In general which would you rate more important, higher stats or skills at the start?

It depends. Attributes are costly to increase, so if you want to do that it might take a while before you have karma for that.

Ahh ok I thought the magic 6 buy added the 6 pts to the initial 1 not just made it 6. Will fix.

With magic A you magic is 6.

Gonna take another day to read more then post a new version. Thanks again for all the help, this game seems much harder to learn then D&D.

Mage is not the simplest character to start. Besides all the basic rules you need to know rules for all the magic things you can do.

I really recommend that you get you drain resistance to at least 9 dice. Otherwise you'll start racking those wound modifiers pretty fast. Drain resistance die pool is probably the most important thing for a mage. Note that many of your spells have drain of F or F-1 With magic of 7 that is 7S or 6S resisted with 5 die. After 3 spells you are pretty much guaranteed to knock yourself unconscious.
IMO taking bounded spirits at chargen is waste of karma. If you have any prep time at all you can bind them during first game. Or after the run.
Your contacts are odd. It is not 1+something, you just set loyalty and connection to what you want. Note that the total is capped to 7 per contact at chargen.
Your languages also need ratings. As far as I know cityspeak and possibly street are dialects of english. You get one free as native language.
Dolanar
Yes, prio A magic only gives you 6 magic, if you get exceptonal att you need to buy the 7th point.

Mages can be very attribute heavy at start, but really the 3 major stats are the 2 drain stats and your magic. After those you can buy spells to boost other stats as needed.

As mentioned, SINs are biometrically coded, which means burning one SIN will get your Legal SIN noticed, once that happens they couldrun your biometrics to find other fake SINs you have.
Moirdryd
The MegaCorps are very very nasty organisations at the best of times. They may look shiny but really they are not. With the 25pt flaw you were someone the Corp considered Important. Someone they considered Loyal. You were Corp. No one likes a traitor, least of all the biggest, most powerful and paranoid organisations in the world and with that flaw, that's Just what they will see you as if you flag on a Fake SIN.

Remember Corp is Mother, Corp is Father. The Corp tells you what you can watch on the Trideo and what you cannot. What Sims and Games and other entertainments are okay and which ones will get you in trouble. What you should (and shall wear) and what you cannot afford to be sen wearing.

They may not even know you're a runner yet (that 10% is paying for the cover to run, or corp mandated movie channel subscription) or maybe they think you're dead (that 10% is keeping the bennies of that ID alive if you need it and stopping it from merely auto flagging etc). But they WILL come down on you HARD if your Shadowlife is discovered. They may be hunting you already. Even worse if you're caught running against Momma Corp.

Yep, it's a lot trickier than D&D in some respects. The rules are more detailed in places and there are typically more directions to think in by default.
tjn
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Nov 4 2013, 06:36 PM) *
As mentioned, SINs are biometrically coded, which means burning one SIN will get your Legal SIN noticed, once that happens they couldrun your biometrics to find other fake SINs you have.

According to page 367, only a fake SIN of rating 5 or 6 will actually have matching biometrics. A rating of 4 (the highest available at chargen) is "casually plausible; sex, age, and nationality match; supporting data appears valid only on cursory checks." Further, checking a fake SIN uses the rating as a threshold against the device rating x2 test of the checking device, so against a random Stuffer Shack cashier, a rating 4 fake SIN won't have anything to worry about, even though there's no biometrics that match at all.

Further, in the event it is burned, there's no biometrics to connect this fake SIN to a real SIN, even if all the corps sung kum-ba-ya around the SIN databases.

Personally I subscribe towards a data balkanization perspective where every AAA jealously guards its information and is rather unwilling to just simply give away things that could profit their competitors. This means even if a fake SIN had biometrics, it might be only linked to SINs within that particular corp or nation-state.

Even if a fake SIN with biometrics is burned in one corp... this obviously shows that the individual either has the skills or connections to hack into some of the most jealously guarded databases on the matrix. As a corp, this is not a criminal you must punish, this is a resource you must exploit in the name of the one true profit.

QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Nov 5 2013, 09:57 PM) *
The MegaCorps are very very nasty organisations at the best of times. They may look shiny but really they are not. With the 25pt flaw you were someone the Corp considered Important. Someone they considered Loyal. You were Corp. No one likes a traitor, least of all the biggest, most powerful and paranoid organisations in the world and with that flaw, that's Just what they will see you as if you flag on a Fake SIN.

Why? As the saying goes, revenge counts no beans.

My perspective is that corps don't have emotions; individuals within it, yes, but on the whole... you're just another cog in the machine, easily replaced with the newer model. Yes the corp wants it's perfect little rank and file drones who believe exact what the corp wants them to, but so long as that one rogue corper is a statistical anomaly, the corp, as a whole, wouldn't care.

If you pissed off someone influential on the way out? Sure, then you might have something to worry about... but that goes a little beyond just having a corp SIN. Alternatively, if you actively run against said corp and are captured or leave enough identifiable evidence, the corp might have some rather... pointed questions. But on the whole? So long as you pay your taxes and don't trip up any red flags... I don't seeing a AAA giving a crap about one particular person.

However, the vibe I got from the corp SIN negative quality was very much a neo-@ slant. If anyone else in the shadows finds out that you were a high muckety-muck in the corps, at best you can kiss your connections good bye. No one will trust you, no one will do business with you, and everyone suspects you're a spy working for "The Man." If your secret is found out, suddenly every door in the shadows will slam shut and the character becomes persona non grata. That is, of course, unless someone decides to remove the threat, permanently.

Both approaches work, so long as everyone at the table comes with the same expectations.

That all said, this is a 25 point flaw. You're getting a good chunk of karma, and from a game balance perspective, this is supposed to cause significant hurdles in your character's life. Then again some negative qualities are so bad as to make a character practically unplayable, and they aren't even worth the full 25 points (Uncouth, I'm looking at you).

So long as you and your GM are on the same page, and the flaw helps tell a story you want to tell, go nuts. A Corp SIN goes along well with a Sam Verner type of story... which is about as Shadowrun as you can get.
tjn
Also as to directly respond to the OP, there's a few skills I personally feel are more or less required just to function in the shadows. In addition to being decent at your selected role and having a decent Perception, a runner should have at least the basics of Etiquette, Con, Sneaking, Palming, Gymnastics, and Running.

Now a character can get by without some of them, but they need to have a decent attribute because of the defaulting penalty or have someone else on the team that's as awesome with that skill as you suck at it. However your character sucks at all of them =(

Your character has only one die to run away or chase someone down, to climb a fence, to sneak past a guard dog, or hide a gun so that the bouncer can't find it. He also only has two dice to lie or behave like you belong in a place you shouldn't be in. Now add in negative modifiers... again he doesn't have to be awesome at this stuff, just enough to not be an albatross around the team's neck.

If I was your GM, we would have to have a serious talk about how you envisioned the character successfully running the shadows.

(However, if you're going down the whole inept corper thrust unceremoniously into the shadows, the lack of shadowrunning skills fits... just be sure the GM is on board with the idea)
Moirdryd
Valid point TJN. Reading it deeper again yes, it's less a Corp issue and more a Shadows issue and of course, in the Sgadows that paranoia is even higher. Who's going to trust one of the corporate elite down in the streets?
toturi
QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Nov 7 2013, 08:19 AM) *
Valid point TJN. Reading it deeper again yes, it's less a Corp issue and more a Shadows issue and of course, in the Sgadows that paranoia is even higher. Who's going to trust one of the corporate elite down in the streets?

It depends. How much does it pay?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012