Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone double checked the premade runners?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrome Head
Here's a "few" mistakes I found:
[ Spoiler ]

In short, we find mistakes everywhere. That’s right, for every single premade runner in the book, there is at least one (sometime tiny) mistake.

A lot of them are calculation errors in derived stats (which I already find significant, especially considering how often this occurs) and other minor things. Some errors are quite serious, like spending 31 karma, going over the availability limit, having two attributes hard-maxed, grossly miscalculating essence, and having a contact with more than 7 points total. I haven’t gone through gear and karma spent/priorities/essence correctness in a lot of detail, but I suppose we could find many more problems there as well.

Some general remarks:
- Out of 16 characters, 7 have the racial minimum in edge, 4 have minimum + 1, and only 5 have more than that, with none having 6 or more edge.
- While edge is a dump stat for the designers, none of the pre-made runners have a 1 in any physical or mental attribute
- On the other hand, only one character (gunslinger adept) has a 2 in willpower, and a majority (9 of 16) have more than 3
- Out of 8 characters with augmentations, 2 have only one augmentation (in both cases a cyberarm), 3 have cyberarms (but none have other cyberlimbs), 4 have cybereyes (none have cyberears)
- The decker has a low-end deck (device rating 2) which I find uncharacteristic of the archtype

What do you guys think?
xsansara
True and mostly pointed out by others as well.

Having both illegal and severely sub-optimal example chars in the first-print core book is a time-honoured tradition in SR. Excuses range from "In your face MinMaXXers!" to "Oooops".

BTW, having a 1 in either a mental or physical attribute is considered a no-go by a lot of players and GM (Edge is apparently fine), including many on this board. I do understand not wanting to make a stand in that particular emotional dispute. Just post a character with maybe even two attributes at 1 on the board to get a taste of that particular flame war wink.gif

It is really about two different styles of play, sort of like street-grit vs. super spies. You will see the dichotonomy represented in certain part of the rule book (example chars, low class lifestyle and limits for the street-grit people, the Corporate SIN disadvantage, DocWagon and mystic adepts for the super spies). Also in the discussions on the board. In SR4, street gritters used to complain about the inflated DP in the supplements. Now in SR5, ironically, super spies complain about mystic adepts, because it is so over-the-top OP that your whole troupe will make one (this actually happened).

ElFenrir
Actually, you're allowed to spend up to 50 Karma in Chargen. Check the book-you have 25 base Bonus Karma, and can have *up to* 25 points of Negative qualities, and take *up to* 25 points of Positive Qualities. So you can have:

-A runner with 25/25 Positive/Negative qualities, keeping their 25 Bonus Karma
-A runner with 25 points of Negative qualities, getting 50 Bonus Karma
-A runner with 25 points of Positive Qualities, with no Bonus Karma

That being said, yes there are still mistakes(the Adept still goes over Karma spent since the +/- qualities even out, for example.)

I might be able to explain the Limit errors if I had to guess-they may have been round down at one point in time, but were changed(IMO, for the better) to 'round up' after stuff went to print.
Ard3
There are some big errors. I calculated that street samurai has 639400 NY worth of stuff. Combat mages has, If I calculated correctly, resources C with only 12600 or so NY used. Also Race E, one special attribute point, and still edge 2. Magic A gives 6 already so it cannot go anywhere else.
Brawling adept has Pain Resistance(1) quality which doesnt exist. I assume it means High Pain Tolerance(1), but for first timer looking at book it may not be obvious. And now I noticed that there is adept power with same name. Brawling Adept has PP = Magic before calculating it though. In either case it is a mistake.
In a lot of places there is gear, quality or something else which has multiple ratings with no indication which one character has. Insomnia on TM, spell focus on street shaman, bugscanner on face. Or it is incorrectly labeled like that TM Prejudice.
DWC
A bunch of things in character creation were changed after the example characters were made, and they never got a final pass to make sure all those mechanical changes had been integrated. There are a bunch of players who've sat down and pointed out all the issues with the example characters so now it's just a matter of waiting to see whether they get fixed along with all the other Errata items when the 3rd Printing is done.
xsansara
I just checked the German book. Seems like on first glance most of your findings were corrected, so consider them errata'd.

Still, the weird build choices, such as the DR 2 deck for the decker have not been changed.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (xsansara @ Nov 8 2013, 02:28 PM) *
I just checked the German book. Seems like on first glance most of your findings were corrected, so consider them errata'd.

Still, the weird build choices, such as the DR 2 deck for the decker have not been changed.

That's good to hear! Thanks. Have they rebuilt the smuggler (more or less completely)? Do we still have a picture of a troll for the human combat mage (who has no illusion spells to justify that wink.gif)?
Medicineman
Yes ,but the Combat mage now IS a Troll (not a Human anymore)

He who dances like a Troll
Medicineman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012