Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Mentor Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrome Head
So here's a few I whipped up for fun. Let me know what you think and I'll add your contributions to the list as well.

-------------------

Peacock

Peacock is always clean and looking his best. He is territorial and will fight to defend what he considers his, or of value to him. A passionate lover, Peacock relies on emotions and gut feelings. His followers tend to judge things and people by their appearance, and rely on first impressions. They can be seen as pretentious, but to them it is a matter of respect for oneself and others to always look presentable.

ADVATAGES
All: +2 dice pool modifier to Etiquette or Performance
Magician: +2 dice for Health spells, preparations, and rituals
Adept: 2 free levels of Kinesics

DISADVANTAGES
You suffer a -1 dice pool modifier to all tests while dirty or unkempt.

Similar Archtypes: Pride, Fashion

-------------------

Gambler

Gambler lives for the thrill of the game. He will always try to defy the odds. After all, Gambler has seen it all and he knows that nothing is impossible. No matter what the situation is, he will always find a way out of a bad beat. His followers tend to live life in the moment and never look back. While being typically superstitious, they still rely on their own skills to make the best of any situation.

ADVATAGES
All: +2 dice pool modifier to Palming or Sneaking
Magician: +2 dice for summoning spirits of man
Adept: 2 free levels of Adrenaline Boost

DISADVANTAGES
You must succeed a Charisma + Willpower (3) Test to avoid jumping blindly into a risky or dangerous situation.

Similar Archtypes: Chance, Rogue

-------------------

Chameleon

Cameleon always adapts to his surroundings. He avoids attracting attention by hiding in plain sight. The world evolves constantly and so does Chameleon. His followers tend to imitate others around them, and bland within any group. They greatly dislike discord and will readily agree to any consensus.

ADVATAGES
All: +2 dice pool modifier to Disguise
Magician: +2 dice for Illusion spells, preparations, and rituals
Adept: 1 free level of Voice Control

DISADVANTAGES
You must succeed a Charisma + Willpower (3) Test to perform an action that would make you the center of attention.

Similar Archtypes: Camouflage, Conformism

-------------------

Traveler

Traveler wants to see new things, meet new people. He is curious and open-minded. He does not try to change or even influence, rather choosing to take the role of observer. His followers tend to be always on the move, as settling down becomes rapidly boring to them.

ADVATAGES
All: +2 dice pool modifier to language skills, and knowledge skills that are about a particular (sub-)culture
Magician: +2 dice for Detection spells, preparations, and rituals
Adept: 1 free level of Improved Ability (Running or Navigation)

DISADVANTAGES
You must succeed a Charisma + Willpower (3) Test to willingly remain in the same location.

Similar Archtypes: Explorer, Culture
Tanegar
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 27 2013, 11:48 AM) *
Traveler
DISADVANTAGES
You must succeed a Charisma + Willpower (3) Test to willingly remain in the same location.

This needs some clarification. How often do you have to make the test? What constitutes "remaining in the same location?" Consider changing it to "...to sleep in the same building twice in a row."
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 27 2013, 02:33 PM) *
This needs some clarification. How often do you have to make the test? What constitutes "remaining in the same location?" Consider changing it to "...to sleep in the same building twice in a row."

I agree, I wasn't sure how to word it myself. My idea is more for in a run, when you're supposed to stay still. Maybe I could define it as staying in the same place for more than a minute when in a stressful situation? I'm not sure and maybe someone has a brilliant idea for this.

I don't see it as sleeping in the same building twice in a row. Maybe that would be more appropriate for a vagabond or a nomad or something. I agree those are related concepts though.
CanRay
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 27 2013, 12:48 PM) *
-------------------
Gambler

Gambler lives for the thrill of the game. He will always try to defy the odds. After all, Gambler has seen it all and he knows that nothing is impossible. No matter what the situation is, he will always find a way out of a bad beat. His followers tend to live life in the moment and never look back. While being typically superstitious, they still rely on their own skills to make the best of any situation.

ADVATAGES
All: +2 dice pool modifier to Palming or Sneaking
Magician: +2 dice for summoning spirits of man
Adept: 2 free levels of Adrenaline Boost

DISADVANTAGES
You must succeed a Charisma + Willpower (3) Test to avoid jumping blindly into a risky or dangerous situation.

Similar Archtypes: Chance, Rogue
-------------------
Does he look and sound like this?
Chrome Head
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 27 2013, 04:14 PM) *

He sure doesn't always know when to fold'em, walk away and run, given the disadvantage! wink.gif
Koekepan
-------------------

Grass

Often forgotten, often disdained, but resilient and adaptable, Grass is the humble lawn and the mighty bamboo forest, the water weed and the desert tussock, the inhabitant of city and country alike, slipping between the cracks as often as inhabiting a manicured green.

ADVATAGES
All: +2 dice pool modifier to Infiltration
Magician: +1 dice for Health magic, and +1 dice for Illusion magic
Adept: 2 free levels of Rapid Healing, 1 free level of Pain Resistance

DISADVANTAGES
You suffer a -2 dice pool modifier to all social tests based on intimidation or high status. Grass shamans have a hard time being impressive.

-------------------
Tanegar
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 27 2013, 02:42 PM) *
Maybe I could define it as staying in the same place for more than a minute when in a stressful situation?

That could be a hell of a disadvantage. Fail the roll, run out of cover and get riddled with bullets. How about Charisma + Willpower [3] to directly involve yourself in a situation? For this purpose, I would count using spirits or drones as being personally involved.
CanRay
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Nov 27 2013, 06:11 PM) *
-------------------
Grass

Often forgotten, often disdained, but resilient and adaptable, Grass is the humble lawn and the mighty bamboo forest, the water weed and the desert tussock, the inhabitant of city and country alike, slipping between the cracks as often as inhabiting a manicured green.

ADVATAGES

DISADVANTAGES
You suffer a -2 dice pool modifier to all social tests based on intimidation or high status. Grass shamans have a hard time being impressive.
-------------------
*Cough* I was thinking something far, far different for "Grass". wink.gif
Tanegar
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 27 2013, 08:45 PM) *
*Cough* I was thinking something far, far different for "Grass". wink.gif

Disadvantage: You suffer -2 to all rolls unless you are currently baked.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 27 2013, 10:22 PM) *
Disadvantage: You suffer -2 to all rolls unless you are currently baked.
"How much of a negative do I have for being baked?" "Minus two."
Koekepan
-------------------

Mushroom

At once mundane and magical, the mushroom is the handsome decoration on a rotting stump, the omnipresent fungus which crops up in the most unexpected nooks, the fairy ring, the good meal, the deadly toxin. Mushroom shamans tend to have a perspective which one associates with the underclasses, constantly looking at things from beneath, but can nonetheless insert themselves into nearly any situation.

ADVATAGES
All: 1 free level in the Influence skill group
Magician: +1 die for Detection magic, and +1 die for Manipulation magic
Adept: 2 free levels of Natural Immunity, 2 free levels of Improved Sense

DISADVANTAGES
You can't get taken seriously by anyone who hasn't known you for a while. New acquaintances might work with you, or even do business with you, but followers of Mushroom are always treated as if they had Street Cred of 0 until someone has had an opportunity to get to know them.

-------------------
CanRay
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Nov 28 2013, 04:04 PM) *
-------------------
Mushroom

At once mundane and magical, the mushroom is the handsome decoration on a rotting stump, the omnipresent fungus which crops up in the most unexpected nooks, the fairy ring, the good meal, the deadly toxin. Mushroom shamans tend to have a perspective which one associates with the underclasses, constantly looking at things from beneath, but can nonetheless insert themselves into nearly any situation.

ADVATAGES
All: 1 free level in the Influence skill group
Magician: +1 die for Detection magic, and +1 die for Manipulation magic
Adept: 2 free levels of Natural Immunity, 2 free levels of Improved Sense

DISADVANTAGES
You can't get taken seriously by anyone who hasn't known you for a while. New acquaintances might work with you, or even do business with you, but followers of Mushroom are always treated as if they had Street Cred of 0 until someone has had an opportunity to get to know them.
-------------------
"Also, you typically aren't told anything, and can't believe anything you are told. You're kept in the dark and fed on drek." nyahnyah.gif
Koekepan
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 29 2013, 06:01 AM) *
"Also, you typically aren't told anything, and can't believe anything you are told. You're kept in the dark and fed on drek." nyahnyah.gif

Mushroom shaman - the wrong person to choose for talking to the Johnson. Quite likely the right person for an incognito chitchat with some random slot during legwork.
CanRay
Also, I was thinking something heavily different when talking about 'shrooms. nyahnyah.gif

Hey, I wrote the drug book, what did you think I was going to say? wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 28 2013, 09:48 PM) *
Also, I was thinking something heavily different when talking about 'shrooms. nyahnyah.gif

Hey, I wrote the drug book, what did you think I was going to say? wink.gif

So... Willing to share YOUR thoughts on Grass and 'Shroom Shaman, Canray? smile.gif
Koekepan
-------------------

Cactus

The cactus generally known to the public is a fuzzy little thing which sits on a reception desk and often gets too much water. In actual fact, it is a frequently forgotten but proud coloniser of places others cannot survive. In other cultures the spirit takes similar forms, such as aloe. The cactus is a friend to embrace in the shimmering mirage oasis, a friend who will never want to let you go.

ADVATAGES
All: 1 free level of Outdoors skill group
Magician: +1 die for Combat magic, and +1 die for Illusion magic
Adept: Free Astral Perception

DISADVANTAGES
Cactus shamans tend to have terrible interpersonal skills, or at least be highly abrasive introverts, regardless of how polished their appearance might be. They also spend a lot of time contemplating the astral. Whether they deal with spirits because of their failures in metahuman relationships, or whether their focus on spirits has ruined their ability to deal with metahumanity, is a topic of debate. It is possible that both are true at once. Cactus shamans all suffer -3 dice on etiquette, leadership and instruction skills.

-------------------
mrslamm0
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Nov 27 2013, 04:11 PM) *
-------------------

Grass

ADVATAGES

DISADVANTAGES

-------------------

+2 Dice on any adventures involving white castle grinbig.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (mrslamm0 @ Nov 30 2013, 06:32 AM) *
+2 Dice on any adventures involving white castle grinbig.gif

White castle?
Koekepan
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 30 2013, 09:02 AM) *
White castle?

White castle: mostly an east coast USA thing, I believe. Fast food, tiny burgers. Really good munchies for when your habits take hold and start making demands.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Nov 30 2013, 01:05 AM) *
White castle: mostly an east coast USA thing, I believe. Fast food, tiny burgers. Really good munchies for when your habits take hold and start making demands.

See also: Krystal, which is the same thing, but more common in the Southeast US. They might be acceptable if they didn't steam the burgers in the buns, turning the buns into gooey mush.
FuelDrop
Interesting. Learn something new every day.
Chrome Head
Thanks for those contributions, guys.

I'd like to point out that it is very tempting to give advantages that are a bit too good when designing new mentors. In the book, the all advantage tends to give +2 dice to a skill or something of equivalent value, the magician advantage +2 dice to a magic category or spirit type or something equivalent, and the adept advantage the equivalent of 0.5 power point. I encourage everyone to maybe try to stay close to this power level unless the disadvantage is much harsher than all of the disadvantages in the book.
Shemhazai
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 30 2013, 01:02 AM) *
White castle?

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012