Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisible Castle is down?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
shonen_mask
Anybody know what happened to invisible castle?

DrZaius
QUOTE (shonen_mask @ Nov 30 2013, 03:59 PM) *
Anybody know what happened to invisible castle?

Looks like they stopped paying their bills. That's a bummer, I liked Invisible Castle. Might come back up after the Holiday weekend and the admin checks the site.

-DrZ
shonen_mask
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 30 2013, 04:14 PM) *
Looks like they stopped paying their bills. That's a bummer, I liked Invisible Castle. Might come back up after the Holiday weekend and the admin checks the site.

-DrZ

Ill have to do the same...

thanks smile.gif
Sengir
Same thing happened a while ago, few days later the site was back up with no problem...I'm not getting worried yet.
Redjack
I got a hold of the site owner. He resolved the issue today.
Bull
What is Invisible Castle?
Redjack
A dice rolling, tracking site. Very popular with PBP games. I sent wrote the code for .hits() and .hitsopen() years ago so that it also supported Shadowrun.

-rp

EDIT: http://invisiblecastle.com
shonen_mask

Nice!

You are a real Saint..
cool.gif
adamu
Invisible Castle is pretty much a great thing all around.

Free, functional, a great solution to what many would see as a problem with PbP gaming.

Part of me, however, was just a bit excited when I saw this post title.

Whatever happened to just rolling some dice and posting the results?
Irion
Whatever happened to just rolling some dice and posting the results?

Results defying any statistic
adamu
No question, but personally I think problems like that tend to sort themselves organically.

Start defying statistics and people will notice, and people know it'll be noticed. More important, if someone wanted to cheat in an RPG, why would they even inflict a GM on themselves?

Not sure I want to surrender convenience and the feel of the dice to thwart one lonely loser out of a hundred friendly gamers.

I can be as cynical as the next guy in many situations, but I have done my share of GMing on this site, and never had a problem using the honor system.

shonen_mask
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 4 2013, 05:37 PM) *
No question, but personally I think problems like that tend to sort themselves organically.

Start defying statistics and people will notice, and people know it'll be noticed. More important, if someone wanted to cheat in an RPG, why would they even inflict a GM on themselves?

Not sure I want to surrender convenience and the feel of the dice to thwart one lonely loser out of a hundred friendly gamers.

I can be as cynical as the next guy in many situations, but I have done my share of GMing on this site, and never had a problem using the honor system.

The thing about systems; When no one else subscribes to it, people consider it your own personal philosophy... wink.gif

That being said I share that philosophy too. I may post an actual dice roll from time to time in PbP games...
But online dice rollers are pretty cool.

Jhaiisiin
One of my players is a stickler for being the biggest badass in existence. As a result, he's fudged dice repeatedly before. IC here is exactly what we'd insist on for someone like him, because otherwise, he'd post whatever he felt was appropriate.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Dec 5 2013, 11:49 AM) *
One of my players is a stickler for being the biggest badass in existence. As a result, he's fudged dice repeatedly before. IC here is exactly what we'd insist on for someone like him, because otherwise, he'd post whatever he felt was appropriate.

Mostly, it helps avoid awkward conversations like that. If there's a Campaign thread for rolls and the GM can check them, then there's no incentive to cheat and everyone gets along.

-DrZ
Redjack
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Dec 5 2013, 11:46 AM) *
Mostly, it helps avoid awkward conversations like that. If there's a Campaign thread for rolls and the GM can check them, then there's no incentive to cheat and everyone gets along.
Except for the PBP player we had once who was so dense he tried cheating anyway. Not sure how you miss that anyone can peruse the history...
adamu
Redjack, I think you may have just answered the next question I was planning to post here.
(And pardon my total Incompetent: Computer quality, please.)

You mention that people can "peruse the history." Does that mean anybody can go onto Invisible Castle and see what other people have done?

Cuz I was just wondering what would stop someone, even using Invisible Castle, from just rolling on it until they got the result they liked, then just linking to that one result...
DrZaius
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 6 2013, 02:54 PM) *
Redjack, I think you may have just answered the next question I was planning to post here.
(And pardon my total Incompetent: Computer quality, please.)

You mention that people can "peruse the history." Does that mean anybody can go onto Invisible Castle and see what other people have done?

Cuz I was just wondering what would stop someone, even using Invisible Castle, from just rolling on it until they got the result they liked, then just linking to that one result...

The way it's setup, I think you can sign in and have a "campaign". That way, the GM can review the rolls. He can then also check *how many times* you made that roll. If you don't sign in, you can choose to roll as often as you'd like; which is why (I imagine) they included the campaign function.

-DrZ
adamu
Yikes - MORE computer stuff I have to learn!

Thanks for the info, though!!!
Sengir
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 6 2013, 08:54 PM) *

Yep, you can: http://invisiblecastle.com/search/. As an example, here's mine

Since every roll at least needs a character name, the GM can just check if you made any "trial" rolls with the character. Now, you might roll under a different name, but then the GM could just reject the roll...

As for the "why?", why do you roll openly in most other games? I'd say preventing any nagging suspicions that the other guy might be "improving" his luck is certainly a factor, but a (the?) major reason is that it provides provides everybody with the feeling that they were there and witnessed when X had this spectacular roll or abysmal failure.
adamu
Thanks for the extra info.

And good points made.

I guess I'll keep my personal preference for just rolling real dice and posting the results, but I can certainly see a number of strong arguments for the Invisible Castle way.
shonen_mask
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 6 2013, 08:15 PM) *
Yep, you can: http://invisiblecastle.com/search/. As an example, here's mine

Since every roll at least needs a character name, the GM can just check if you made any "trial" rolls with the character. Now, you might roll under a different name, but then the GM could just reject the roll...

As for the "why?", why do you roll openly in most other games? I'd say preventing any nagging suspicions that the other guy might be "improving" his luck is certainly a factor, but a (the?) major reason is that it provides provides everybody with the feeling that they were there and witnessed when X had this spectacular roll or abysmal failure.

I'll miss dice just the same. Physical dice are the standard but then again this is the Web...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012