Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Traceless Walk
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Baatorian
Alright, the adept power, traceless walk, now what exactly is the score with this power?

You can walk on snow without sinking into it? Right, okay, so they can also walk on 2 inches of crispy brown autumn leaves without crushing them down or making a noise?

What is this? Some kind of funky levitate? Don't get me wrong, I have no problems at all with the power. Also, before anyone mentions it, the +4 to perception TN is because the adepts equipment makes noise (naked adepts are good to go!).

So, okay, you can't walk across liquids, but deep snow is okay, we'll assume that is because it's kinda solid, so.. thick marsh and mud is okay too, right? This means you can't actually TOUCH the ground, because otherwise it's a weight thing.. mass and force and something else I was probably supposed to learn at some point.

Anyway, this brings me to another point. Where does this power actually stop?

If you can walk across snow without sinking into it, therefore not actually touching it, then what other kinds of things can you walk on?

1) Caltrops - Why not, you don't touch things you walk on right?
2) Burning coals - Yeah, there'd still be heat, but you wouldn't touch the coals.
3) Broken glass - I always wanted to run on broken glass bare-foot.
4) Mono-wire - Assuming I can balance good, why can't I stand on this?
5) Dog turds - Hey, no more cleaning my new sneakers!

So, okay, what do you think the score is? What if you had a set of snowy poles, just mounds of snow, could the adept walk up them? Ooh.. and I wanna go see that crazy dwarven tight-rope walker do his mono-wire thing.

I mean, in theory, if you don't TOUCH the surface (with feet only), then you can walk across mono-wire, right?

What do you all think?

- Baatorian

Edit - Not much
sidartha
This means you can't actually TOUCH the ground, because otherwise it's a weight thing.. mass and force and something else I was probably supposed to learn at some point.

I've always played that you in fact are touching the ground but you simply focus your magic to your feet allowing you to not sink in snow, mud whatever.
You are not levitating. Think of it like this, Norrmaly you can't walk across the surface of water, but you can walk accros the surface of ice. All this power does is cause you not to exert force on the ground as you walk(so you don't set off motion dectors also) BUT there is a minimum weight that the surface has to be able to support, somewhere between liquid water and snow.
Baatorian
QUOTE (sidartha)
I've always played that you in fact are touching the ground but you simply focus your magic to your feet allowing you to not sink in snow, mud whatever.

Okay, but remember, you don't leave an indent either, right? So now add a bump into that snow, how can you stand on a bump, without leaving a mark and without crushing the floor down, if the snow was completely flat and it stated that you could only walk on completely flat snow, then fine, but it doesn't.

Say the snow is completely flat but there is one VERY small raised area, about an inch across. Now, it's completely impossible and unexplainable why you could step onto that small bump (it's an inch high say), without crushing it down.

Which brings me back to the quasi-levitation theory, that for whatever reason there is a invisible force that extends from your foot to hold you on top of things without actually putting pressure onto the surface underneath your foot.

*shrugs*

Still though, my main point was what else could you stand upon, in theory and under the same line of questioning.

- Baatorian

Edit - Nothing much again.
Bearclaw
Pressure sensors?
Land mines?
Sleeping dragons?
Baatorian
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Pressure sensors?
Land mines?
Sleeping dragons?

Well yeah, the description says you can walk on pressure sensors and such. Hence the arguement that you don't actually touch the ground.

Land mines, now that's one I didn't think of and is damn interesting.

Sleeping dragons? Well *I* ain't checking it out =)

- Baatorian
Herald of Verjigorm
Consider the traceless walk to be a single sense (tactile) physical illusion (I suddenly have a new spell I want to learn...). Just as the silence spell prevents the subject's actions from directly making noise, traceless walk prevents the adept's actions from exerting energy to the surroundings. This would be a crippling power if not for the high level of (usually subconscious) control that the adept has over the effect, reality will respond to the adept according to the adept's preference for the action. He wants to pull the trigger, so the power lets kinetic energy transfer to the trigger, he doesn't want to leave a track in the snow, so the power prevents that transfer of energy. The effect only works from the adept out, so he cannot "will" a bullet into harmlessness.

How's that for an explination?
Raptor1033
so can he will himself to balance barefoot on a caltrop point without hurting himself?
Baatorian
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Consider the traceless walk to be a single sense (tactile) physical illusion

But... not sinking into deep snow would be manipulation, not illusion and what spell is in the manipulation catagory? Levitate =)

Also, if the "not leaving any tracks and making no noise" part was illusion, then there would be an opposed role at some point, wouldn't there? If the adept actually DOES make tracks and noise, there has to be an opposed roll.

If you wanted to stick it into a magical catagory, it's got to be manipulation.

- Baatorian

Edit - Below (also for Herald's below post)

QUOTE (Raptor1033)
so can he will himself to balance barefoot on a caltrop point without hurting himself?

Well look, if he can walk on a caltrop shaped piece of out sticking snow without flattening it down, then why can't he walk on a caltrop also?

The caltrop would not shift under the weight, but the adept's foot would be just as pierced by the caltrop as without the power.

But the adept doesn't put any weight upon the caltrop, so his foot won't sink into it, otherwise the caltrop-shaped piece of snow would flatten which would leave a trace in the snow, which it doesn't.
Herald of Verjigorm
The effect works one way. The adept is still fully subject to gravity, it's just that the world around the adept "ignores" the effects of the adept. The caltrop would not shift under the weight, but the adept's foot would be just as pierced by the caltrop as without the power. The adept will still take falling damage, but won't leave much of a crater (only the energy transferred after the moment of death would be used to calculate the impact crater).
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Baatorian)
But... not sinking into deep snow would be manipulation, not illusion and what spell is in the manipulation catagory? Levitate =)

Not showing up on film would also be manipulation, as would not generating sound, etc. Illusions can have fully real effcts on the world, they are the physical illusions. Why isn't it a manipulation? Because manipulation is the category for leftovers. Everything could be done as a manipulation spell, so it is always the last category to try to fit something in.
Baatorian
Not showing up on film would also be manipulation, as would not generating sound, etc. Illusions can have fully real effcts on the world, they are the physical illusions. Why isn't it a manipulation? Because manipulation is the category for leftovers. Everything could be done as a manipulation spell, so it is always the last category to try to fit something in.

But you see, illusion spells affect the minds of the viewers, hence the opposed to to notice, which applies to invisibility, stealth and silence. They don't actually make you invisible or deadly quiet. You cast stealth and sneak up on two goons, one may hear you as normal and one may not.

Traceless walk doesn't leave tracks, period. There is no way to "pierce" the "illusion", therefore it doesn't affect the minds of the viewers, therefore it's real, therefore it's manipulation and not illusion. Which means you really DON'T touch the floor because otherwise you'd leave tracks and/or sink in snow like all normal people.

Simply, being able to walk ON TOP of snow and not sink into it, is not an illusion. The adept doesn't get cold feet/legs so it can't be.

- Baatorian
Ancient History
If you're stupid enough to step on a hot coal, or a caltrop, or a strand of wire, you deserve to suffer injury, Traceless Walk or not.

Let us go over BASICS children: Traceless Walk gives the recipient a degree of stealth. That is it's purpose. It muffles noise, prevents footprints, and negates pressure on nightingale floors or pressure pads. This doesn't mean you can step on a caltrop and be hunky-frickin' dory, but it might let you hobble away without leaving bloody footprints.

When in doubt, assume the least stupid, munchkinny interpretation of the power is correct.
Baatorian
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Let us go over BASICS children: Traceless Walk gives the recipient a degree of stealth. That is it's purpose. It muffles noise, prevents footprints, and negates pressure on nightingale floors or pressure pads. This doesn't mean you can step on a caltrop and be hunky-frickin' dory, but it might let you hobble away without leaving bloody footprints.

Cut the patronising attitude. If somethings annoying you, don't bring it here.

Yes, traceless walk is an ability to make an adept more stealthy on certain levels, but look at the facts here. It actually mentions that the adept can walk on snow without sinking into it, which means they don't put pressure onto whatever surface they choose to stand on and the fact that they can walk on pressure sensors means that their foot falls don't cause vibrations.

Now, if you can walk on (almost solid) ground without pressure or leaving a mark, then you can step onto a piece of snow that is shaped like a caltrop, right? You're not leaving a mark here, which means it doesn't crush, which means it supports your weight.

Now apply that to a normal caltrop on a tarmac road.

Alright, how about the glass part. Glass makes noise and cracks, the adept can walk on these surfaces without making any noise. Now, if the adept puts enough pressure on the glass (like any at all), it's going to hurt him, yup! But wait, if he's putting pressure on the glass, it's going to make noise.

So, to make the glass make no noise, he can't put any pressure on it so that it doesn't break and such, if there's no pressure, it's not going to stick into his feet.

- Baatorian
Lilt
My reading is pretty similar to HoV's. The problem with taking it all the way to a tactile illusion, however, is that it opens a whole new can of illusion-worms. IE: Can you make an illusionary flight of stares and run up them? What about an illusionary bike to drive away on?
Lilt
QUOTE (Baatorian @ May 3 2004, 04:42 PM)
Now, if you can walk on (almost solid) ground without pressure or leaving a mark, then you can step onto a piece of snow that is shaped like a caltrop, right? You're not leaving a mark here, which means it doesn't crush, which means it supports your weight.

Now apply that to a normal caltrop on a tarmac road.

The caltrop may support your weight, but your boot and foot skin might not. IE: Snow caltrops are as dangerous as real ones to people with traceless walk. smile.gif
Raptor1033
I'd say when his foot reaches a reasonable amount of surface to support his weight (say half the surface of his foot) then the power works as normal but if you try to step on a caltrop shaped piece of snow while the rest is flat or bumpy then the piece sticking out gets pushed down until it's of a reasonable level with the rest of the snow. same with glass, if a piece is sticking up and the rest is flat then the pointed piece will pierce the skin until it's pushed down to level with the rest of the glass. i'd say you'd then leave a blood-drop trail but not bloody footprints.

off topic, AH how many forums do you post your essays on man?! i counted at least 3 (this one, earthdawn classic, and one other forum that i forgot the name to)!
Baatorian
QUOTE (Lilt)
The caltrop may support your weight, but your boot and foot skin might not. IE: Snow caltrops are as dangerous as real ones to people with traceless walk. :)

Yeah, I mean, it's a tough one and I see what people are saying. But if you have a pointed piece of snow, which isn't frozen solid (no ice here) and you can step on that without crushing any of it down, then you can't really be touching it at all. Something has to stop that little pile of snow from flattening. If it was illusion, then it would flatten, but appear unflattened, but that isn't what traceless walk does.

Also note, that ground based-motion sensors (no just pressure pads) do not detect an adept with traceless walk. If you were touching the floor, illusion or not, you'd surely trip them.

With the above paragraph taken into account, yes, it's easy to assume that it's a quasi-illusion ability, but not sinking into snow is not.

- Baatorian
Ancient History
Raptor1033: Several. People tell me I should get out more.

Frankly, Baatorian, it's a silly arguement. Being able to walk without footprints on snow does not automatically equal being able to tip-toe over sharp-sharp pointy things.
Lilt
QUOTE (Raptor1033)
I'd say when his foot reaches a reasonable amount of surface to support his weight (say half the surface of his foot) then the power works as normal but if you try to step on a caltrop shaped piece of snow while the rest is flat or bumpy then the piece sticking out gets pushed down until it's of a reasonable level with the rest of the snow.  same with glass, if a piece is sticking up and the rest is flat then the pointed piece will pierce the skin until it's pushed down to level with the rest of the glass.  i'd say you'd then leave a blood-drop trail but not bloody footprints.

I would allow the adept to voluntarily ignore his traceless walk for the purposes of not being skewered by a snow caltrop. If an adept was wearing caltrop-proof boots (that can support his weight on a very small surface area) then I would allow him to balance on a caltrop. If he was wearing monowire-proof boots (or whatever) then he could also balance on monowire.
A Clockwork Lime
Like most things dealing with magic, it's about suspension of disbelief. Traceless Walk does exactly what it says it does, and that's about the extent of it. There isn't any rationalize way to explain it; it simply is because it's magic. If it made perfect sense, it likely wouldn't be.
Herald of Verjigorm
A nice pair of mono-weave socks will keep your feet safe from almost any sharp terrain (caltrops, monowire tightrope, etc.). Anyone know the actual volume of the fabric for a typical sock so we can get an approximate price?
Baatorian
Alright, alright, look.

I think the main point here is that the adept doesn't sink into snow. When I walk on snow I sink into it, an adept with traceless walk doesn't. I think that's the main point really.

Now, this isn't just "leave a trace in snow" this is and I quote..

QUOTE (Page 151 - Magic in the Shadows)
The adept cannot walk across liquid surfaces (but can cross deep snow without sinking)

That's different, that's a lot different. If I ignore that sentence I wouldn't even have posted here about this, because I'd agree, but that is the small sentence that got me thinking about how it actually works.

Edit - Couple of things

Okay, as an extra. When the adept and his team and trekking through the antaric, everyone is walking around upto their knees in the snow, but the adept is standing straight on top of it. That is more than just stealth. I know the premise was stealth, but that pushes it past just not leaving tracks and opens up other possibilities.

- Baatorian
Foreigner
I'll admit that I haven't been playing SR for very long, but--if you'll pardon me for using a movie analogy-- I always pictured the "Traceless Walk" Adept power as similar to the scenes in the film REMO WILLIAMS: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS (1985), in which Remo (Fred Ward) was running along the beach (presumably oceanfront property near New York City) and not leaving any footprints in the wet sand at the water's edge.

Whether the "Traceless Walk" ability might allow an Adept PC to duplicate other feats shown in the film (walking across the surface of freshly-poured wet cement, such as Remo did when he was eluding a would-be killer at the Statue of Liberty, or walking across the surface of still water, as Chiun did at the end of the film), I would imagine is a question left to the discretion of individual GMs.

Although Baatorian's post makes me think that walking across water would be impossible without using some variation of a "Levitate" spell....

--Foreigner
Nikoli
I agree about the application, such as hoofing it across wet cement to escape enemt, etc. except Chun ran across the lake at the end.
("You must run very fast.")
Raptor1033
or how about with each step the adept takes a magical field forms around his feet effectively extending the surface area his weight is supported on. this makes it so he doesn't depress pressure plates, leave footprints, sink into snow, and combined with a limited range of silence it keeps leaves from crackling, crushed glass from crunching, etc. the extended surface area is useless vs caltrops because the caltrop itself has virtually no surtface area to spread over so the adept gets hurt like everyone else. sounds like best explanation i've heard so far, of course i made it up so i have to think that way wobble.gif
BitBasher
I agree with Lime here wholeheartedly. how about it's magic and doesn't need an explanation.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (BitBasher)
how about it's magic and doesn't need an explanation.

Because every time someone uses that argument, someone else screams about how that's just a sissy cop out, and the game should rest on consistant laws of magic.

By the books, the exact details of how these effects work varies from person to person. Each case is individual and the powers may manifest differently. The only important aspect about it, however, is the game mechanics of the power/spell/spirit power that are stated in the books and consistant. The rest is just style. I say "just style" because style should only get in game bonuses when the GM decides it should. Style should never have in game effects classified beforehand except when playing Munchkin D20 (the only game I know of that has a random hair style chart for PCs where each style gets specific advantages).
BitBasher
I agree completely Herald. Especially since I don't see anything internally inconsistent with this power.
I Eat Time
Like Lime said, it's Magic. Consider it a constantly running check on everything the adept walks over. If it has the potential to leave a trace where he walks, he doesn't leave a trace there.

For instance, my take on the caltrop thing is that he stabs his foot (ice caltrop or not), it hurts him, but the blood doesn't come out of his foot. He's still got the injury, he's just not gonna die of blood loss because dripping blood from his feet would be a traceable walk.

Pressure sensors going off also leave a trace of his walk, so he's in the clear there too. Land mines? Don't land mines use pressure sensors anyway, so isn't that the crux of the issue?

Here's the guideline. Look at whatever the adept's walking on. Take away the trace. Leave everything else.

Edit: I don't write so gud.
Lantzer
You're nicer than I am. I'd have traceless walk negate footprints, but leave the blood-spoor.

It's traceless walk, not traceless bleed.

Suppose an adept with TW has a hole in his pack, and there is flour/sawdust/marbles/chalkdust/small mice/water/ammo/dustbunnies leaking out? Does he leave a trail?

I'd say yes. But no footprints.
Arethusa
I have to agree; Time is more lenient than I'd be. Traceless Walk shouldn't staunch bleeding.

And, yeah, given that traceless walk makes pressure sensors incapable of detecting you, I'd apply the same to land mines.
Lantzer
No argument there. Landmines _are_ pressure sensors, of a crude sort.
Hasaku
I rule that although the adept's weight does not affect the world, the world still affects the adept; i.e. the ability only blocks interactions in one direction. It acts like a buffer between the adept and the world. Adept wants to jump out of a three story window? Fine. The ability takes the place of the ground as far as the adept is concerned. His feet hit something that feels like the ground, and hits back just as hard, but the ground feels nothing. Adept walking on leaves: feet touch ability, ability touches back, but neither interacts with the ground at all.

edit: Had a more detailed explanation of how it works. Rewrote it completely, still wasn't satisfied, and deleted it. If you saw it already, ignore it. It was inaccurate. In trying to write out my explanation for traceless walk I realized I'm inconsistent in my own handling of it. I just use GM fiat to dictate its effects depending on what my own ideas on how it works (which I find impossible to articulate, apparently). Caltrops? You're gonna be hurting. Floor covered in nails about 1/4 in apart? No problem, do some jumping jacks.

Re-edit: As a rule of thumb, I'd say a single surface of 1 in*in is enough to support the adept, or at least one point for every 1 in*in of foot surface. Just trying to find a rule that would encompass standing on a stack of quarters and a bed of nails, but not a caltrop. Of course, I'd still slice his foot off if he tried to walk across monowire, so that rule still doesn't cut it. frown.gif
I Eat Time
QUOTE (Lantzer)
You're nicer than I am. I'd have traceless walk negate footprints, but leave the blood-spoor.

It's traceless walk, not traceless bleed.

Suppose an adept with TW has a hole in his pack, and there is flour/sawdust/marbles/chalkdust/small mice/water/ammo/dustbunnies leaking out? Does he leave a trail?

I'd say yes. But no footprints.

My take is, the magic allows the Adept perfect control of his feet, so his walk doesn't leave a trace. The no-bleed thing is just my take. Hey, he may bleed, maybe it's just invisible. Still picked up with stuff like infrared and magic senses, but it'll give him some confidence.

As far as the trail of sand or marbles, he has control over his feet. It's Traceless Walk, not Traceless Leave-No-Evidence-Behind. You'd have to draw the line somewhere (your decision), otherwise they'll be conducting whole crimes without leaving any evidence or trace of their existence.
Hasaku
Problem is, controlling your feet doesnt negate ground pressure. There has to be some manipulation of basic physical forces at work.
broho_pcp
so... would an adept with traceless walk and gecko crawl (quickened onto him) be able to scramble over a sleeping dragon? indifferent.gif
A Clockwork Lime
Sure. Traceless Walk and Gecko Crawl not necessary. Anyone can do that. Might not be the wisest thing, but anyone could do it.
Foreigner
You know, the mention of land mines reminds me of a book I read several (I think at least 20) years ago.

It was a non-fiction account of combat in the European Theater during World War II.

A member of the commander's new platoon (the new C.O. was assigned to replace someone who'd been killed or sent home due to injuries, I believe) had, at some time prior to the new commander being assigned, successfully "blazed a trail" through an enemy minefield by running through it so quickly that all the mines exploded AFTER he was past them.

I believe that the soldier in question had a pre-war background in Track & Field, but I can't remember. I believe, although I am not entirely certain (I don't know if the book was that specific), that he also shed ALL of his gear except his uniform, helmet, and boots to cut down on encumbrance.

Just thought you'd be interested. As the saying goes, fact is often stranger than fiction. smile.gif

--Foreigner
Hasaku
I really hope someone tries that in one of my games. What's the damage code for running into monowire again? dead.gif
I Eat Time
QUOTE (Hasaku)
Problem is, controlling your feet doesnt negate ground pressure. There has to be some manipulation of basic physical forces at work.

The main issue I have with arguments like this is, it's magic. I promise I don't mean to be a smartass about this, because some people just want to rationalize things out. But with magic, I'm under the impression that you simply can't. Otherwise, it wouldn't be magic. There is no reason at all why the PAdept doesn't make noise when he walks, it's magic. Thus all this talk about "absorbing the pressure from the feet and transferring through any pressure from the ground in a 1-to-1 force ratio" talk is pretty hard to work through.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Foreigner)
A member of the commander's new platoon (the new C.O. was assigned to replace someone who'd been killed or sent home due to injuries, I believe) had, at some time prior to the new commander being assigned, successfully "blazed a trail" through an enemy minefield by running through it so quickly that all the mines exploded AFTER he was past them.

That's awesome! It's certainly believable, depending on the type of mine. Like maybe a Bouncing Betty or something similar. The only unbelievable part is anyone having the marbles to actually do it!

explanation: Bouncing Betty (I'm almost sure of the name and operation, although there are many here who are in a position to correct me on this) - land mine that fires a small explosive charge up to waist/groin level and detonates a small charge. Designed to wound, not to kill. The idea is a dead soldier is gone; one less man on the field. A wounded soldier must be cared for; three less men on the field.
Foreigner
Moon-Hawk:

I believe the mine in question is the German "S"-mine. "Bouncing Betty" was the derisive nickname bestowed upon it by American soldiers. However, I'm reasonably certain that there have been similar mines used in warfare over the years.

IIRC, the device in question usually had trigger mechanisms (pressure sensors) arrayed in a semi-circular or circular pattern around it, roughly a meter away from the mine itself--one meter being the approximate stride length of a man of average height, i.e., 5' 6" to 5' 8" (1.68 to 1.73 Meters).

The intended victim would step on the trigger, firing a small explosive charge placed directly beneath the mine itself. After a delay of a fraction of a second--long enough for the mine itself to be propelled up to roughly waist-high--the main charge would detonate, discharging the mine's cargo--hundreds of one-half-centimeter ball bearings--for a distance of approximately twenty-five yards (22.86 Meters) in any direction.

In one story I remember reading about the D-Day landings (Normandy, France, June 6, 1944), one fellow walked by another soldier who had apparently fallen victim to an S-mine. The man in question, still very much alive at that point, was in a seated position, propped up with his back against a tree, with his midsection heavily bandaged--and calmly spitting up ball bearings.

--Foreigner
Lantzer
_I_ wouldn't be all that calm about having my midsection turned to hamburger. And I'd sure as hell not be able to calmly spit up the ball bearings that _turned_ my midsection to hamburger. Something about the way that the muscles and organs I need to _do_ that feat have been turned into hamburger.
KillaJ
If he was suffering from shock(which I'm sure he was) it would be possible that he was feeling no pain whatsoever and could be quite detached about his injuries.

[EDIT] Also if he was bandaged someone must have treated him, most likely doping him up something fierce in the process smile.gif [/EDIT]
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Foreigner)
However, I'm reasonably certain that there have been similar mines used in warfare over the years.

Yup, most light anti-personnel land mines in use by well-funded armies are bouncing these days. However, the delay on those isn't anywhere near long enough to allow someone to run outside the lethal radius. Once your leg is off the mine, you've got half a second at best, more likely 0.2-0.3 seconds.

And I'm sure all of you've seen pictures from Africa or South-East Asia of people who've walked into non-bouncing light land mines. Those don't kill either, you just lose a leg or two, or three.

However, I've seen some references to pressure-triggered anti-personnel land mines weighing ~6kg. I'm pretty sure that's a guaranteed kill. smile.gif

Pressure-triggered mines are mostly a thing of the past, though. Trip wires, or a wire pulled by a soldier, are becoming more and more common. Vibration-triggered mines are in the works. Heat or magnetic field sensing mines would likely be quite common by the 2060s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012