Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rules for strangling a character?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
I've been asked to help design a character, whose player wants to use a wire to strangle people. The problem is that I don't remember where rules for that are. Cannon Companion?

Thanks!
FlakJacket
There are rules for holding your breath/oxygen deprivation in the Companion. But I'm not sure that they'd be any use to you. AFAIK, when you use a garotte or strangle someone- if you're doing it right- then it's more a case of constricting the blood vessels in the neck and depriving the brain of nutrients.

If you're using something really thin and strong then you also have the possibility of causing physical damage as it cuts through the neck but I'll ignore that since it causes a mess and then you might as well have used a knife.

You'll probably have to come up with your own rules on it. Unfortunately I have no real knowledge about it so can't really be much help I'm afarid.
Kagetenshi
More oxygen than nutrients, but yeah, it's more blood-related than breathing-related (though that's an added bonus).

~J
FlakJacket
Well I kinda classed oxygen as a nutrient but thanks for making it clear. smile.gif
Arethusa
Assuming that you're referring to a garrote, which is effectively using a wire for strangulation, there are no canon rules. I'd suggest a couple strength tests followed by a body test. Ultimately, keep in mind that while garrotes are effective, if you have full access to your target (say, sneaking up behind a standing guard), an arm over his mouth, a quick twist of his neck, and a deep and long stab to his kidney in the opposite direction will put him down much more quickly with much less noise and much more reliability. Or, you know, so I hear.

Also, keep in mind that even though garrotes ultimately kill by strangulation, they definitely cut quite deeply and broadly across the neck and make a pretty big mess of things.
DeadNeon
Also regarding garrotes and physical damage: They tend to crush the windpipe whether they cut through the neck or not.
Shadow
When you stab him with the knife, like Arethusa said, do it to his lung, not his kidney. Once the knife enters the lung he won't be making any noise louder than a *gasp*.

Remember when you were a kid and your older sibling punched you in the stomach when you weren't ready? You dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes. That is because your lungs collapsed. Same thing, except when they have a hole in them they don't re-inflate.

If you use a garrot of some kind make sure it's thin, strong, and has a not tied in the middle. Ideally the not should be placed on, or just above the adams apple.

Of course if someone has a dermal sheaf or dermal plating I am not sure how useful a garrot would be.
kevyn668
How about (STR+3)L. Physical. Per Phase. And then resolve it as melee combat with bonuses for "Oppent held" or something. Only maybe instead of causing damage if the defender gets more successes he gets out or something?

Just tossin' out ideas...
booklord
Just to be be clear.....

We're talking about using normal wire to strangle someone not mono-wire... Right? Very early in Shadowrun ( 1rst Edition ) I had a character with 2 cyber arms who tried to strangle someone with mono-wire. Got a little messy.
kevyn668
Sentry Elimination 101 biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Shadow)
When you stab him with the knife, like Arethusa said, do it to his lung, not his kidney. Once the knife enters the lung he won't be making any noise louder than a *gasp*.

Remember when you were a kid and your older sibling punched you in the stomach when you weren't ready? You dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes. That is because your lungs collapsed. Same thing, except when they have a hole in them they don't re-inflate.

If you use a garrot of some kind make sure it's thin, strong, and has a not tied in the middle. Ideally the not should be placed on, or just above the adams apple.

Of course if someone has a dermal sheaf or dermal plating I am not sure how useful a garrot would be.

dead.gif
Kagetenshi
Yeah, 'cause it's not possible. You cannot apply enough pressure to strangle someone, even slightly, with monowire without slicing their head off.

~J
booklord
Yeah, 'cause it's not possible. You cannot apply enough pressure to strangle someone, even slightly, with monowire without slicing their head off.

Well I know that ... now. twirl.gif
Kagetenshi
Fair enough smile.gif

~J
Arethusa
QUOTE (Shadow)

The lower abdomen long stab is debilitating, and coupling it with having your neck likely simultaneously broken is pretty significant; stabbing a lung isn't, as he's still got another lung and can still resist (not to mention that it's difficult to keep an arm over his face and stab for the lungs), even if he'll have a lot of trouble speaking. I wouldn't suggest a lung stab over anything else, really. Of course, you know, this is all theoretical. If any special warfare operators want to pop in and lay down some definitive technique, go right ahead.

And, uh, yeah. Monowire garrote = expensive loop o' decapitation.
Lilt
The Thugs (AKA Thugees), a religious extremist group following Kali in India, used to use a piece of cloth with a coin tied into one end for weight. The technique used was to sneak up behind a victim (often with other people nearby to distract the victim and hold them still) and swing the cloth so that the weight carried it around the victim's neck. The weighted end of the cloth was then caught, twisted with the un-weighted end, and the knuckles of the strangler were pushed into the neck vertibrae to tighten it even more.

As for damage code, IIRC you can't stay concious for that long after your blood supply is cut-off. 3, maybe 4 heart-beats?
Arethusa
You can actually hold out in somewhat diminishing capacity for a remarkable amount of time. (Body / 2 + 6) seconds, maybe more. Of course, without extensive training and personal awareness, these seconds are spent in abject fear and confusion, but that's something else.
Lilt
Hmm. What would be the TN to melee-attack someone behind you? IE: to break the hold. I'd imagine it would be hard to pull the garotte off your neck, it digging in and all, so I'm thinking stamping on toes and elbows to guts. I'd imagine there would be a small penalty for impared visibility, maybe a penalty for not being able to strike as effectively behind you (at-least on unarmed attacks) and your strangler would probably be at a penalty as he has to keep his hands in a set position (well, he could move them but then he'd no longer be strangling the target)
Arethusa
It is, but keep in mind that garrotes don't work very well unless they're contacting bare flesh; even a tall collar is enough to basically make them worthless, which is why they're such specific weapon and why a knife is generally a far better choice. I'd factor such things into the initial attack test. Maybe a Quickness test followed by some opposed Strength tests? Kind of a hard one to call.
kevyn668
As for damage code, IIRC you can't stay concious for that long after your blood supply is cut-off. 3, maybe 4 heart-beats?

I dunno, I'd say its longer than that. Remember, game-balance. Otherwise every munchkin and his sister would go around choking people.

I know you guys hate this, but:
In the movies it always takes at least a few seconds. Since SR seems like it uses Hollywood physics, I tend to look to movies when I need explainations.

Lilt Posted on May 3 2004, 09:15 PM
  Hmm. What would be the TN to melee-attack someone behind you? IE: to break the hold. I'd imagine it would be hard to pull the garotte off your neck, it digging in and all, so I'm thinking stamping on toes and elbows to guts. I'd imagine there would be a small penalty for impared visibility, maybe a penalty for not being able to strike as effectively behind you (at-least on unarmed attacks) and your strangler would probably be at a penalty as he has to keep his hands in a set position (well, he could move them but then he'd no longer be strangling the target)

TN: 6 to 8. (depends on my mood)

I'm sorry everybody. I'm in rapid fire GM mode. I just pick an answer and run with it. I'm actually quite open to debate. smile.gif
A Clockwork Lime
The Manriki-Gusari handles it through Stun damage while you have an opponent ensnared. That's pretty much exactly what strangling should entail, especially since once unconscious killing them doesn't take much effort.

Just use the rules for grappling and have the target resist your Damage Code of your weapon, such as (STR)M Stun if using your barehands.

With that out of the way, you just need to come up with a stat block for a garotte.

Garotte: (STR+1)S Stun damage, but only inflicts damage if a grappling attempt first succeeds (making Stealth and Surprise Tests your friend). Weight is neglible, and price is pretty cheap (20 nuyen, most of which accounts for the handles). Monowire Garrotes increase their damage as if dikoted and shifts it to physical damage, thus boosting it to (STR+2)D. Weight remains the same but price increases to 2,000 nuyen plus the cost of whatever you're going to use for handles that can retract the line (500 nuyen?). Improvised Garottes (chain, optical cable, etc.) does only (STR+1)M Stun but costs absolutely nothing. Concealability is pretty much on the 12-15 level. Availability should be around 8/1 week, 14/2 weeks, and Always respectively.

How's that for a base to work off of?
Arethusa
I'd add a physical damage component of (Str+1)L to that (Str+1)S Stun. Slicing through your neck is decidedly messy and unpleasant.

Other than that, though, pretty solid, I think, though I'd make normal garrotes far easier to get ahold of than 8/1 week, and definitely 16 concealability; they are quite tiny.
hobgoblin
and can be made by a usefull length of wire and some handles (to lengths of pipe, wood or similar).

the nasty thing about a garotte is that when your trapped in one its allmost imposible to get out unless you get into contact with the user, and as the garotte allows him to keep you at allmost an arms length compared to face or body grip where your in direct contact with him and may well send a elbow into his side or similar if you dont panic.

still my idea of a clean takedown would be cloroform soked cloth or similar over someones face and when they pass out your free to do whatever you feel like.

just make sure that your target cant kick anything noisy over or similar...
Arethusa
Uh, I don't know what you think a garrote is, but you have to be in direct contact with your victim to you use it. You are absolutely not at arm's length. This thing's not a lasso.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Uh, I don't know what you think a garrote is, but you have to be in direct contact with your victim to you use it. You are absolutely not at arm's length. This thing's not a lasso.

Not so. There are manuvers that allow you to place the target in an almost completely helpless posistion.

Its hard to discribe, I'll try:

You sneak up behind some bloke and loop the garrot around his neck, you then want to cross one wrist over the other and pivot your body while bending forward to aprox a 45 degree angle. The target's shoulder blades should be touching yours and he will be strangled by his own body weight.

Not very effective against Trolls or if the attacker is a dwarf...but there you have it.
Swing Kid
QUOTE (JongWK)
I've been asked to help design a character, whose player wants to use a wire to strangle people.

Just going out on a limb here, but does your friend there work in customer service?
kevyn668
QUOTE (Swing Kid)
QUOTE (JongWK @ May 3 2004, 01:13 PM)
I've been asked to help design a character, whose player wants to use a wire to strangle people.

Just going out on a limb here, but does your friend there work in customer service?

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Or maybe Retail? biggrin.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (Swing Kid @ May 3 2004, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE (JongWK @ May 3 2004, 01:13 PM)

This is my Customer Appreciation String.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting there aren't positions from which you can attack someone from behind quite favorably. I'm saying you can't garrote someone without being very close to him.
kevyn668
Yeah, I know. I'm pointing out that there a positions in which the target can't attack effectively. I was thinking that was the spirit of hob's post.

A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'd add a physical damage component of (Str+1)L to that (Str+1)S Stun. Slicing through your neck is decidedly messy and unpleasant.

Other than that, though, pretty solid, I think, though I'd make normal garrotes far easier to get ahold of than 8/1 week, and definitely 16 concealability; they are quite tiny.

If you're incompotent, you're probably just going to leave a small mark or bruise and fail at killing the victim. If you're good, you're going to kill flatout. I think that's covered well by the high Damage Level, particularly if you're using the Deadlier Over rules. If you're not, you probably prefer a less lethal game and, outside of the monowire version, that's what you get, too.

The high Availability is only for the "professional" grade garrote. Not something you can just put together yourself; that's what the improvised one is for, which about has the best availability you can hope for. smile.gif
kevyn668

The high Availability is only for the "professional" grade garrote. Not something you can just put together yourself; that's what the improvised one is for, which about has the best availability you can hope for.

Profesional Grade? When did piano wire and some handles get so hard to comeby? I was making these things in Shop Class. nyahnyah.gif
A Clockwork Lime
I know I'd have trouble finding a premade garrote just sitting on someone's shelf. I mean, the demand is just unbelievable, so surely every pawn shop and drug lord has fifty of 'em sitting on their shelves...
Kagetenshi
You can find them in art stores. They're used for cutting clay.

~J
A Clockwork Lime
But are they perfect length for strangling, with a virtual guarantee that they won't snap or break while struggling with that ork in a hallway? That's what I meant by a "professional" grade one. Anything less than that, including a clay cutting tool, would fall under Improvised Garrote; it could be anything from a clay cutting tool to just grabbing a length of piano wire and wrapping it around your fists several times to a passionate lashing out with phone cord.
FlakJacket
Piano wire? Only if you want things to get a bit bloody. If I were doing it, but quite frankly a couple silenced pistol shots to the back of the head are more my style, I'd want something that was thin enough to be usable whilst thick enough that it doesn't cut through the skin. But then I've probably been playing too much Hitman again. smile.gif
Daishi
I need to get some sleep or read more carefully. I thought this was "Rules for strangling a player?" at first...
kevyn668
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime @ May 4 2004, 12:15 AM)
I know I'd have trouble finding a premade garrote just sitting on someone's shelf.  I mean, the demand is just unbelievable, so surely every pawn shop and drug lord has fifty of 'em sitting on their shelves...

So of course there's a "Professional Grade Garrot Maker."

I guess it depends on where you shop. smile.gif The things that most runners would buy you'd probably have a hard time finding, neh? wink.gif

It's not exactly a high tech weapon. You'd have as good of a chance of finding a "Professional Grade Brick."

I'm not a very handy fellow but I'd be willing to bet any garrot I made back in high school would more than be up to the task of killing someone.
Arethusa
A clay cutter would basically be on the level of a garrote made specifically for the purpose of strangling. There's really not going to be a discernable difference at the level of abstraction SR operates at. It sure as hell isn't on the level of a piece of phone cord; that much is for certain.
kevyn668
Now that I think about it, a garrot is pretty much the same thing (quality/grade wise) as a club. There are no rules for "Improvised Club."

Its blunt. I hit someone with it. He is hurt. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Its small. When applied to the throat with sufficient pressure its cuts and deprives one of air and blood. Rinse and repeat as needed.
John Campbell
QUOTE (booklord)
We're talking about using normal wire to strangle someone not mono-wire... Right? Very early in Shadowrun ( 1rst Edition ) I had a character with 2 cyber arms who tried to strangle someone with mono-wire. Got a little messy.

So, did you get the two cyberarms before or after you started playing with monowire? grinbig.gif
A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ May 3 2004, 10:55 PM)
Now that I think about it, a garrot is pretty much the same thing (quality/grade wise) as a club. There are no rules for "Improvised Club."

Exactly. Unfortunately, in my mind, a "professional" garotte is closer to a mace vs. a club. It's specially made to hurt someone in this fashion. An "improved" garotte is just something you pick up to strangle someone. The "professional" version is designed to fit iny our hands just right, is the proper length so that you don't have too much or too little slack, and its nearly guaranteed not to snap or break from its handles when you're struggling with someone who's not particularly keen on being murdered.

Yes, you can break a wooden leg off a chair and have a club. Yes, you can pick up some piano wire and wrap it around your hands and strangle someone with it. But in either case, those weapons are inferior to those designed as genuine weapons.

You might also want to look at the stats I recommended as a base a little more closely. An "improvised" garotte is nothing to sneeze at. smile.gif Concealability 12-16, Always available, dirt cheap to free, and an improvement over a barehanded strangulation. If you're in a pinch and just wanna hurt someone, bam. It's not like it's some crappy thing or something. It's just that the "professional" garotte is better.

One thing I did leave out, though, was its Reach, would should be -1. For all three versions.
moosegod
Now the biggy- what skill would you use?

Since I have an... evil... plan for my next character.
A Clockwork Lime
Garotte skill (STR linked) that can default to Unarmed Combat or Cyber-Implant Combat.
FlakJacket
Something like this is what's probably meant by a professional garotte as opposed to an improvised one like a piece of cord or piano wire.
Blades
The main objective of a garrot is to cut the blood supply to the brain. Thats why tightening it really hard is very important, otherwise you just strangulates the "subject".
indifferent.gif
Cutting the blood supply to the brain is an extremely efficient way to cause stun damage (and overflow).
dead.gif
Before sciences discovered different forms of chemicals to use as amnesie(?) during surgery, a common practise was to lay pressure on the arteries (on the neck) that supplies the brain with blood.
The "patient" would go unconsious in few seconds, by cutting the blood supply to the brain is much more efficient than strangulation. In case of strangulation or drowning, the "subject" still got air in his lungs, and oxygen in his blood, that might be circulated a couple of time before the "subject" loose consiounes. This is not the case with a garrot, the blood circulation to the brain stops!
read.gif
Therefor I would say that the victim goes unconsinous after a full combat turn e.i. 3 seconds.

Unless they succeed in an opposed strenght test, where the attacker got a bonus of +4 to strenght. The victim is in panic, and the attacker got a clear advantage.

Or in case of the victim succeeds to deal out a wound to the attacker (at least a +2 target number). The attacker has to succeed a willpower 4 + wound modifier test to keep the pressure on the garrot.

But unless its a victime who is very experienced, they will try to do the opposed strength test first, sheer instinct. And in general "people" don't know how efficient such a thing is ...... and 3 seconds isn't really much time to react in (better hope you got some reflexes)
frown.gif
Firewall
Personally, I would say that it is a bad idea. Narcoject, taser, etc. can incapacitate and then you can calmly place your knife right where it needs to go.

That said, I would make it exempt from normal combat rules. It is a kind of 'works or not' weapon. I would say that it you a) surprise your opponent and b) get it around their neck fast enough, they are dead. So... Stealth test, surprise test and remember not to let go too soon.

Or perhaps it is a 3M (s) weapon which scales up/down for each single success, which you use unopposed as long as you strike from a position of surprise. That way, bad luck could foil your plan but an experienced killer suffers less from the effects of chance. BUT... any partial neck armour (high collar - suit, coat, cloak / any helmet ) and it's impact rating gets added to your TN. (to simpulate the skill needed to get the wire into a space) Full neck armour (anything better than a long-coat or a ballistic jacket) makes it totally inneffective.

I.e. you roll your Garotte skill against static TN (perhaps 3) and you get two successes; it scales to deadly. The opponent gets no body roll either. Guard is down...

If you had failed your surprise roll, you both roll as normal melee and you are using a totally unsuitable weapon.
A Clockwork Lime
Have you ever watched a movie where someone used a garotte? smile.gif

Even if you fail to kill your opponent, you leave them winded and gasping for air (ie, Stun damage). You don't need surprise to grapple and strangle your opponent, though it helps a great deal. Grappling, or as its called in CC "Subduing Combat," allows you to do normal Stun damage if successful to begin with; the garotte only increases that, allowing you to strangle your opponent more efficiently.

And as a Reach -1 weapon, it is "totally unsuitable" for combat situations, especially since it only does damage if you've successfully grappled your opponent in the first place. A static TN is already in place (4 with a +2 modifier for subdual combat if/when the opponent is aware of your presence -- something he potentially doesn't get if you Surprised him). Your skill at using a garotte increases your chances of successfully disabling your opponent quickly and efficiently.

Really, beyond the stats for the weapon, no house rules need to apply. The rules already cover it, even if its not called "strangulation." If anything, you may just want to change the Subduing Combat rules so that it uses Strength as the opposed Attribute instead of Quickness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012