Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun for the XBox
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JongWK
Go ahead, have fun. silly.gif
BitBasher
I didn't answer because you didn't add the option: "I will not buy it if it's for the Xbox"
JongWK
I'm only asking what kind of game would you like to see, not if you're going to buy it.
Mr. Man
Other: Neverwinter Shadowrun

(I won't be buying any XBox games, either)
Lilt
I think the RPG FPS could be done better than Deus Ex. I think SR would be a great game to do it with.

The Half-Life 2 engine is looking like a hot pick for capabilities. I'd certainly like to try my hand at doing a shadowrun mod for it some day.
BitBasher
I'm only asking what kind of game would you like to see, not if you're going to buy it.

On the contrary, you did NOT ask "what kind of game we wanted", you asked "what kind of game we wanted on the xbox", Which is none, because I don't own an Xbox. If you had left out "on the Xbox" that would have been an entirely diffewrent question. biggrin.gif

I however answered GTA, because I don't believe for a second that any of the other games can be made without screwing them into the ground.

Since Shadowrun is NOT primarily combat for a lot of people, and that's antithetical to the spirit of stalth and infiltration, an Ever-anything based game would not work.

Fallout 2 was a good game, but it's style lent itself to be combat heavy, and the engine would not work nearly as well outside of it's genre.

Fallout tactics I thought was incredibly boring. Thre was a decent RPG that was degenerated into nothing BUT combat. They took the good thougs about fallout out and left the mediocre.

Total annihilation was the bomb, but an RTS doesn't lend itself to shadowrun's military where most fights are ruled by technology and stand up conflicts are rare. May work, I dunno.

Rainbow six, while a good game, I feel that a pure FPS of SR would be pointless to invest money in. May as well just make an SR mod for an existing FPS or play the ones that are out there.

Quake: see R6 above

Pirates, eh, I just never was crazy about the game.

GTA on the other hand, has been a game that proved itself with a good story, gameplay and an open ended city. It wouldn;t have to pretend to be more that one fascet of the SR world, and it could do that well without having to butcher the world to pull it off.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (BitBasher)
the [FallOut 2] engine would not work nearly as well outside of it's genre.

You might be right about the style, but I'm pretty sure this poll has nothing to do with the engine used. No point making an Xbox game on a 7-year-old (or more) PC engine.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (BitBasher)
the [FallOut 2] engine would not work nearly as well outside of it's genre.

You might be right about the style, but I'm pretty sure this poll has nothing to do with the engine used. No point making an Xbox game on a 7-year-old (or more) PC engine.

Yeah, I am bored, so went down the list... fundamentally you're right though =)
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
No point making an Xbox game on a 7-year-old (or more) PC engine.

Unless you want decent frame rates... wink.gif

(All too easy...)
JongWK
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
Other: Neverwinter Shadowrun

(I won't be buying any XBox games, either)

D'oh! That was what I was trying to mean in by EverRunner. Somehow, Evercrack got into my mind... wobble.gif
Caine Hazen
Try looking at the new Unreal III engine if you can find the movie out there.... OMG, soooo pretty. And since they've already done alot of games that have some Shadowrun-like games with the Unreal engine, I'd go with it if I was developing a new game. HL 2 looks nice now...Unreal3 looks pretty for the future!
Kakkaraun
From what I've heard about the new V:tM game, that looks like what we want. Extremely open-ended and all that. Stealth route, charisma route, kill-him-and-take-his-stuff route. Only thing is, you'd need to throw in the Shadowrun system and setting. And for GOD'S FUCKING SAKE, include ALL of the rules. Especially the stuff from MitS.
CardboardArmor
The fun value might peter out when you find out that you have to build EVERY character and it ends up taking a while...
Swing Kid
I never played the Fallout games. Is it a good game? What's the genre/style?
Berzerker
Fallout 1 & 2 are RPGs. Post nuclear survivor kind of stuff (civilization has decayed, Mad Max style). Combat is turn based, character development is skill based, pretty simple with % in skills (up to 115 or so). All in all a pretty fun series.
Swing Kid
Sweet, thanks. I'll have to check it out.
You know, another game style that would work well for Shadowrun would be a Splinter Cell style game, with multiplayer capability.
BitBasher
Try looking at the new Unreal III engine if you can find the movie out there.... OMG, soooo pretty. And since they've already done alot of games that have some Shadowrun-like games with the Unreal engine, I'd go with it if I was developing a new game. HL 2 looks nice now...Unreal3 looks pretty for the future!
Being pretty doesn't help it be a good game. Often times the best looking games SUCK. I'll take gameplay any day.
Lilt
The V:tM game was just Diabolo with set levels and vampires. It was one of those games with XP for kills and none for sneaking past. OK: So you could have the engine run on-line and GM a game over the net, but that's still not ideal.

IMHO the most important thing is Scope. By that I mean the ability to blow shit up. But not just any-old-shit: I want to blow-up every old shit. Ok: So I'm phrasing it badly, but If I have a block of C4 and set it properly against a wall then the wall goes away and there is something behind it. It dosen't just get a big black explosion mark on it.

To me the ideal shadowrun game would attemt to go a step further than current 'big world' games such-as Grand Theft Auto and extend the dynamic world generation to inside buildings and similar. It's then a strech from dynamic area generation to intelligent and consistent area generation. but it's a strech that needs to be made at some point.

Ever tried playing carmageddon and turning on and off the map rapidly? the other cars jump-about all over the place as soon as they'e not in your immediate vicinity. The game forgets where they are, presumably to reduce memory load. At some point memory size will no longer be an issue here, but until then some intelligent programming could aid suspension of disbelief.
A Clockwork Lime
I wouldn't mind a "first-person shooter" type console game if it was anything like Splinter Cell. I really wasn't expecting to like that game, but I was blown away by it. My computer gaming experience is extremely limited (it's just never been my thing), but wow, I really had a lot of fun with that one... even if it was tedious from time to time.

I can't even imagine how much more fun it would have been if different character types were available, each with their own special abilities and style. A big troll sammy might approach scenarios by storming in with both guns blazing, the consequences be damned. A hermetic mage might rely on spells to cloak them as they sneak past a guard. A shaman might use his spirits in the same fashion. A face might try to bribe his way past. etc. smile.gif

Team play doesn't really do much for me when it comes to computer games, at least for anything beyond people I personally invite to play with me here at the house. Too many weirdo snots play in those MMORPG type games and it just totally detracts from the fun.
Swing Kid
Roger that. I would love the Shadowrun game to be MMORPG, but then again, that desire is based on theory, not fact; meaning that it would be great if a bunch of Shadowrun enthusiasts were playing it, but the reality would be that the game would be full of jackasses who just wanted to power game. Truth is, the only MMORPG that I have played was EQ, and that didn't take long before I lost interest. Those players (read:power gamers) would just kill it for me in SR. If there was some way to make the game NOT enjoyable to those who don't get it, then a massivly multiplayer would be great. Truth is, if they at least make it multiplayer I will be happy. I would love to have my SR group playing together on such a game.
Caine Hazen
Lilt I think the V:tM game we're refering to in this thread is the upcoming one based on the Half-life2 engine. I'll agree with my detractor too, gameplay is a must, but I'm sick of "gameplay" being wrapped in ugly old engines (jeebus...enough with the halflife mods/games already!!!!!) Yeah gameplay first...a lovely little package second though...
Fu-Man Chu
I just read that Jordan Weisman is "up-there" in the ranks of Microsoft's Xbox division - yeah, yeah, old news to you - but that gives me hope that a Shadowrun game for Xbox is at least a possibility!
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Fu-Man Chu)
I just read that Jordan Weisman is "up-there" in the ranks of Microsoft's Xbox division - yeah, yeah, old news to you - but that gives me hope that a Shadowrun game for Xbox is at least a possibility!

Dunkelzahn works at Microsoft??? Maybe he's already starting to arrange the Nanosecond buyout...
Solkari
I personally think that if (and this is a big IF) an MMORPG was done correctly, it would be the only way to go. The server end would be a nightmare, but imagine being able to play in any number of cities around the world, and traveling to complete a run. Of course the game would need good GM's who can have some vague world plot, they could even be the Fixers (perhaps many Fixers per GM), which would help control the player-killers. However, the full game as I see it would be VERY, VERY, VERY difficult to actually put together and make work, so I don't expect anything like that to ever be made. But, it would be an awesome game.
ThatPaolo
Just a couple of notes:

Jordan Weisman used to work for Microsoft Games Studio. I think now he's an "external creative asset" or something like that.

The Shadowrun electronic games rights are held by Microsoft. You can start forgetting Rockstar or Unreal or iD engines.

The article on Teamxbox makes even the wildest crazy news that you read on macosrumors.com appear as if they're editorial from the Financial Times. (aka: zero facts)
Connor
QUOTE (ThatPaolo @ May 4 2004, 11:36 PM)

The article on Teamxbox makes even the wildest crazy news that you read on macosrumors.com appear as if they're editorial from the Finacial Times. (aka: zero facts)

Because we just KNOW Apple is going to release those dual-G5 PowerBooks at the upcoming WWDC for sure! With super-high density displays even!

(for those of you not familiar with macosrumors, although I'm partial to macrumors.com...)
Abstruse
Final Shadowrun (Final Fantasy-style)...something with a big plot, fast action, and good CGI cutscenes...

The Abstruse One

Lilt
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
Lilt I think the V:tM game we're refering to in this thread is the upcoming one based on the Half-life2 engine. I'll agree with my detractor too, gameplay is a must, but I'm sick of "gameplay" being wrapped in ugly old engines (jeebus...enough with the halflife mods/games already!!!!!) Yeah gameplay first...a lovely little package second though...

Hmm. LOL. Looking at the title of that new V:tM game, Bloodlines, I'm not inspired that it will be anything more than a twinky hack'n'slash.

IIRC: The Bloodlines book is regarded as one of the more munchkin books from the V:tM series. The Bloodlines were just groups used as an excuse to create new overly-powerful disciplines for you to twink your vamp even further with.

Gameplay is good, but it's going to be nessecary no-matter-what. You can't just say that you want a game with good gameplay. All you can really do is to examine the aspects that cotribut to it and try to maximise them.
A good story and background keeps people interested.
Good controls stop people from getting frustrated, but have rarely made a game themselves.
Good level design is possibly the closest thing that can be equated to gameplay.
Indeed the considerations of level design are fairly similar to those a GM needs to take into account when making his game fun.
Reasonable graphics and sound are almost a must for creating good atmosphere.

Actually: I think it would be great if experienced GMs were to learn how to do level design and offer their services to the game designers.
LoseAsDirected
As I said in the other topic..

I was thinking something more along the lines of any 3D action game.. Each player has their own screen, and is in control of their own character.. Each person on the game (maybe a max of 4 with split screen, or 8 over LAN/XBOX Live) controls their character in the same game at the same time..

Kind of like Phantasy Star Online.. But, rather, with a game system more like Grand Theft Auto..

Imagine the same system Grand Theft Auto 3 uses (or perhaps an updated version of that engine, like what's going to be used in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas).. 3D action game, but with RPG elements like karma, attributes, and skills.. Character creation and customization.. A variety of guns, ammo, armor.. The ability to just hop in a car and go, without waiting for the game to load.. It could be similar for mages.. Maybe one button allows them to protject instantly, transfering to the astral plane.. Pressing the button again draws them back to their body, and thus the material plane.

Deckers can go up to a jack point, press the button, and they jack in.. Then it transfers to the Decking part of the game (which could be more like a FPS.. Or an updated version of the Decking in the Genesis game)..

Your team works together.. You go to a bar, meet a fixer, make friends.. The fixer will randomly call you on your phone, tell you he's got a job for you, gives you the location of the meet.. You go, meet the Mr. J, are given the job, and then work together to complete it..

Moonstone Spider
I vote other.

What I think would make a good Shadowrun game is something loosely based on the "Commandoes" games. Add in resources for the game, social aspects, and decking. Also fix how horrible combat was in commandoes, but that should be easy just through the ways Shadowrunners can Tank out with augmentations and armor.

I'm not particularly interested in Multi-player and especially MORRPG because I've seen how horrible people are in such games, particularly when staying in character. The last thing I want is to see Shadowrun getting tentacle-raped by hordes of 12-year olds speaking in 1337 and player-killing every new person they find because they're now tougher than Lofwyr and Harlequin combined after gaining Karma 16 hours a day for weeks on end.
LoseAsDirected
You know what else would be cool? If they made it in the style of Jagged Alliance 2..
BitBasher
Jagged Allicance was a much better game before they addeda pile of crap to it and it was called Xcom:UFO Defense nyahnyah.gif
Kakkaraun
"The V:tM game was just Diabolo with set levels and vampires. It was one of those games with XP for kills and none for sneaking past. OK: So you could have the engine run on-line and GM a game over the net, but that's still not ideal."

Yeah. The new one. Which is supposed to stick to the rules, like, straight up, yo.

Oh, and about the blowing stuff up: yes, absolutely necessary! They did that in Red Faction, with some sort of special game engine (can't recall the title). It was awesome, but then...people somehow just forgot about it. I was all, "WtF? This is the most important thing to happen to game realism since 3d!" And then the guys at Funcoland told me to buy something or leave, or at least quit bothering them. So I burned it down.
Caine Hazen
OK cause the original thread that this started on was a GameDreamz (noted for unreliablity) report I did a bit of diggin...yeah 4 days worth now...I'll pop on later with links to back this all up, since I'm in an MCDBA class right now...but here goes

It is true that FASA Interactive is going to produce "THE NEXT BIG THING" for Xbox2, it hasn't been stated that the game is from another of it's worlds...that's all just been speculation on message boards right now. Second, rumors are flying that Jordan W got his hands on Bungie's "Project Phoenix" as a base engine. Third, the Project was a HALO based mech game.... Next...FI announced MechAssualt2 for release in holiday 2004..AND Xbox2 will likely be announced in June as a holiday release....

Hope this doesn't piss in anyone's cheerios...I think their "NEXT BIG THING" is just another non-pc mech game...too bad.I hated MechAssualt, and I'm a huge BTech fan too...
Erebus
Kakkaraun, I completely agree. Other than the Neverwinter Nights-esque GM/Net tool, it was Diablo. Thats exactly how I explained it to my wife (a White Wolf fan) when she started getting into computer games, and wouldn't touch it after that... Neither of us enjoy mindless click-fests.

MMORPGs though enjoyable do tend to suffer because most folks view them as just games, and think RPG just means levels, and kewl powers... RPGs are games, but all games are not RPGs.... I'm still undecided on whether or not I'd like a Shadowrun MMORPG... Half of me says hell ya! The other half of me says please don't kill it....
JongWK
QUOTE (Abstruse)
Final Shadowrun (Final Fantasy-style)...something with a big plot, fast action, and good CGI cutscenes...

The Abstruse One

Oh, how could I have missed that? I want a mix of Final Fantasy and Fallout, am I asking too much? cool.gif
Kakkaraun
Oh, yes, and if they do an MMORPG, I will friggin' hire somebody to assassinate them (that's good irony!). Not really, but...well, it'd just piss me off. MMORPGs are pure evil. Pay to play is the worst thing to happen to videogames ever.
Caine Hazen
how long has Shadowrun.com pointed to FASA interactive...I may have just blown my theory....
Erebus
At least since March 1 of this year: 20040301. Assuming they use the standards for SOA record serial #s.

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> soa www.shadowrun.com
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.shadowrun.com. 3465 IN CNAME shadowrun.com.
shadowrun.com. 3600 IN SOA dns.cp.msft.net. msnhst.microsoft.com. 2004030105 300 900 7200000 3600

Though info for the domain name was updated Thu, 6 May 2004 07:25:32 EDT.

Caine Hazen
I thought I'd just pop this back up to say...E3 next week...maybe by the end of the week we'll know something more...I'll be watching the web...
Moonstone Spider
On further reflection I think a MMORPG is an even worse idea. My reasoning is: The Genre's Saturated. Consider: To play a MMORPG you have to pay every month. You also have to put in a lot of hours. That means you cannot play multiple MMORPGs unless you have no life at all, and even then you can't play more than 2 or 3. Thus there simply can't be that many of them at once, there aren't enough gamers with Broadband to go around. With a normal game there's no reason I can't own 40 games and play them all (Over the course of months, of course). But there is no way I could afford to play even 4 MMORPGs a month, much less spare the time.

That said, what I think an SR MMORPG would need is:
Great-Dragon/Megacorp CEO Administrators. As beings with nigh-unlimited power they would be responsibly for making sure bad-role-players, people who do too much PKing, and hackers die horrible deaths. They would also arrange shadowruns for the bigger fish, which would almost invariably be lethal in order to keep the uber-players from staying uber forever.

No Karma for killing. For sure. This would cut down on PKing of weak players some more and make the game based around actual Shadowruns, rather than 24/7 killfests. Karma would only be gained for accomplishing Shadowruns, which would be generated by some sort of random shadowrun generating program which plugs into Johnson NPCs all over Seattle. Or possibly they would be planned by the Administrators as an actual world-wide scheme but that would take a lot of planning since you'd need hundreds of runs every day.
Omega Skip
Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to draw your attention to this picture, taken at this year's E3.

I believe we have reason to celebrate? Anybody up for party hats?
Slamm-O
that picture fills me with hope, and fear smile.gif lets see how this develops over the next two days...
Joker9125
QUOTE (Omega Skip)
I believe we have reason to celebrate? Anybody up for party hats?

I'll bring the hats and cigs if someone else can bring the beer! biggrin.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
Mother Mercy, I do believe this means some company's going to get around 50 or so of my dollars, regardless of how great/crappy the product is. I feel so happy, yet so helpless and ashamed...
JongWK
Can someone see what's the website on the banner?
Erebus
What's the webpage that sign references... I can't make much out after the www. part

Overwatch

Chummers.. we have been photohop'd. Note the picture of the E3 concourse from our friends post. http://www.virtuality.gmxhome.de/IMG_1701.jpg

Now note the legitimate image of the same concourse taken direct from microsofts coverage of the E3 event. http://events.teamxbox.com/image/81/E3-Day-1

Some one owes us an apology.

Austere Emancipator
************!
Omega Skip
The adress on that banner is www.e3insider.com, which is where you'll find the original picture, which looks, quite sadly, like this.

Sorry guys, it was all just a very cruel and sadistic joke. Just what the game will be like when and if it ever comes out. biggrin.gif

[Edit] Yeah, Overwatch got it before I admitted it. [/Edit]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012