Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best way to kill a f***ing vampire with regeneration.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
FuelDrop
I do not like vampires. In fact, my default response to vampires is killing them. This one is supposedly on our side, but he's a bloodsucker and thus gotta die. Unfortunately, I am short on FAB3 at the moment so need alternatives. Suggestions?
Cain
Depends on which edition you're in. Vampires have a lot of vulnerabilities, and depending on the edition their vulnerability may or may not shut down their regeneration.
psychophipps
It all boils down to one thing (sometimes literally)...the cleansing power of fire. See my signature below.
Cain
QUOTE (psychophipps @ May 26 2014, 09:51 PM) *
It all boils down to one thing (sometimes literally)...the cleansing power of fire.

That also depends on the type of vampire it is.

If it's a standard vampire, wood works really well. If it's a Bain Sidhe, use iron.

But if it sparkles... burn it. Burn it with fire!
FuelDrop
So... best flamethrower for the job?

Also, anyone know a bulk supplier of napalm?
Medicineman
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ May 26 2014, 09:00 PM) *
I do not like vampires. In fact, my default response to vampires is killing them. This one is supposedly on our side, but he's a bloodsucker and thus gotta die. Unfortunately, I am short on FAB3 at the moment so need alternatives. Suggestions?

Do it like the Red Queen demands : Off with his Head

with a decapitative Dance
Medicineman
Cain
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ May 26 2014, 09:35 PM) *
So... best flamethrower for the job?

Also, anyone know a bulk supplier of napalm?

The Shiawase Blazer is almost concealable, so there's that option.

But if you want flexibility, carry a shotgun and pack some Big D's Dragon's Breath rounds. White Phosphorous with a hint of mint. cool.gif
Glyph
Regeneration does not work against called shots to the head/spinal column, or magic (spells or an adept's killing hands). Be sure to put it down quick, because mist form gives a vampire a way to make a quick getaway.
ravensmuse
Okay, but why does the vampire need to go? Is he doing things against you guys? Does your character know this? Has he been a hassle, or a help?

Gotta stop and think about these things, man.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ May 27 2014, 06:53 PM) *
Okay, but why does the vampire need to go? Is he doing things against you guys? Does your character know this? Has he been a hassle, or a help?

Gotta stop and think about these things, man.

He's a vampire, what more do you want to know? Sure he's supposed to be on our side but... VAMPIRE!
Sengir
WP grenades are cheaper than flamethrowers and don't require an Exotic Weapons skill to use...
Jaid
in general, you kill vampires the way you kill everything else, you just do it faster.

no need to get fancy with your weapons or tactics. just use the same methods you would use to kill anything else that's exceptionally tough, then follow it up with a couple of bullets to the head. regeneration isn't unlimited, after all.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jaid @ May 27 2014, 08:17 AM) *
regeneration isn't unlimited, after all.

It was in 3rd if you were (un)lucky enough to keep rolling a 6 on a single die.

In 4th its definitely not. Roll Magic: heal that many boxes. Once a combat round, not per pass. You load a vamp full of enough bullets, let his regen kick in, then load him full of more bullets if his heart is still beating.

Remember: If his regeneration check can't heal enough boxes to bring him back up to "not dead by normal measures" (i.e. the overflow isn't completely full) then he's "actually dead." He doesn't get to keep rolling unless he's got boxes of overflow left. And if he does, you didn't load him full of enough bullets.
Sengir
Regeneration depends on how it is played. The fat bullet sponge does not work, because there is just too much damage per combat turn. Hit-and-run, on the other hand...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 27 2014, 10:36 AM) *
Regeneration depends on how it is played. The fat bullet sponge does not work, because there is just too much damage per combat turn. Hit-and-run, on the other hand...

Read what the OP is actually trying to do. nyahnyah.gif
X-Kalibur
Long Burst called shot to the head ought to handle it...
Sengir
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 27 2014, 06:00 PM) *
Read what the OP is actually trying to do. nyahnyah.gif

Read what the GM will probably try to do nyahnyah.gif

If he knows how to play Regeneration, he'll use the vampire's speed and Mist Form to GTFO, and come back with a vengeance...
Stingray
...cutting of head offf, combined with White phosphorus and acid..
Jaid
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 27 2014, 12:13 PM) *
Read what the GM will probably try to do nyahnyah.gif

If he knows how to play Regeneration, he'll use the vampire's speed and Mist Form to GTFO, and come back with a vengeance...

if the vampire takes a high damage round, that will probably knock it straight into overflow, and quite possibly beyond.

the vampire then is no longer able to act until it is back into it's regular condition monitor.

so, if you can get a high powered rifle round on the vampire, and especially if you manage to bypass armour and the vampire is unaware and therefore does not get to try and dodge, there will be no hit and run. rather, it will be a more standard "get hit and then flop on the ground like a ragdoll" scenario, the proper response to which is to shoot the vampire a few more times just to make sure he's far enough into overflow that no, he isn't coming back.

so, like I said: you do it the same way you kill any other difficult target. from surprise, with a very big gun.
X-Kalibur
I hear rail guns work quite nicely...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ May 27 2014, 10:47 AM) *
so, like I said: you do it the same way you kill any other difficult target. from surprise, with a very big gun.

And then apply liberal amounts of Fire, just to be sure. smile.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 27 2014, 06:40 AM) *
It was in 3rd if you were (un)lucky enough to keep rolling a 6 on a single die.

In 4th its definitely not. Roll Magic: heal that many boxes. Once a combat round, not per pass. You load a vamp full of enough bullets, let his regen kick in, then load him full of more bullets if his heart is still beating.

Remember: If his regeneration check can't heal enough boxes to bring him back up to "not dead by normal measures" (i.e. the overflow isn't completely full) then he's "actually dead." He doesn't get to keep rolling unless he's got boxes of overflow left. And if he does, you didn't load him full of enough bullets.

In SR5, regeneration is more powerful - it is a (Body + Magic) roll, then you add Body to that number to get how much damage is healed. So it is likelier that it will be able to regenerate from overflow; what you need, if you are going for pure damage rather than magical attacks/called shots/exploiting its allergies, is for several people to deal killing blows within the course of one round. One on one, it is a lot harder to overload regeneration.
Medicineman
if its SR5 use the Rainforrest Carbine (with Flechette or Explo Ammo) thats 16 or 15 P & Net Hits & Aimed Shot for +2DV)

Hough!
Medicineman
Remnar
Regeneration does not work against called shots to the head/spinal column, or magic

Bingo.

Also as mentioned if you happen to have a spare pass, put it down with automatic fire then "off with its head". Worked wonders against that Wendigo we ran into back in 3rd ed. Tricky part was not killing ALL this corporate rich kids that were in his "death cult", we had to bring some of em back alive. If we didn't, my group's first instinct usually involved high explosives and grenade launchers.

Those where the days.
Stahlseele
The best way to kill a fucking vampire is to do it before he pulls out, because that way he is too distracted to do anything about it.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 27 2014, 01:02 PM) *
In SR5, regeneration is more powerful - it is a (Body + Magic) roll, then you add Body to that number to get how much damage is healed. So it is likelier that it will be able to regenerate from overflow; what you need, if you are going for pure damage rather than magical attacks/called shots/exploiting its allergies, is for several people to deal killing blows within the course of one round. One on one, it is a lot harder to overload regeneration.

Nice to see that regen got a bit of a buff. SR4's was weaksauce.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 27 2014, 11:10 AM) *
The best way to kill a fucking vampire is to do it before he pulls out, because that way he is too distracted to do anything about it.

Phrasing!
ShadowDragon8685
How do you kill a fucking vampire with regeneration?

You invoke the Chunky Salsa Rule. It's the only way to be sure.

Ideally, the way to do this involves a lift car in a reinforced building. Plant your explosives on all sides of the lift car. Remember that up and down are also sides. Don't do the insides, though, that leads to a greater chance of him being noticed.

Get him in that lift, either alone or with somebody you don't mind sacrificing. If he only trusts you, then mind control and shapechange some random schlub into you. Get the lift going, then blow the bombs. Instant, insanely powerful compressive force, magnified by the armored structure of the lift shaft. It'll be like initiating a nuclear device, only you're fusing vampire cells instead of uranium molecules.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 27 2014, 11:10 AM) *

Oh So... Horrible... smile.gif
I guess someone had to do it though.
Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ May 26 2014, 10:00 PM) *

Alright, before we go into methods, I just want to have a few points clarified.

You say he is supposed to be on 'your side'. Is this a new recruit for the team, the Johnson or muscle said Johnson has dropped on you to haul around, the new cub working the night barista down on 6th and Portland?

Or are we talking off the clock?

Ryu
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ May 27 2014, 04:00 AM) *

On behalf of your soul I hope said vampire does not have "Detect Enemies" active. If not: Volunteer to be the rear guard, shoot in the back. Many common weapons will do at that point.
Mantis
Regeneration in 4th edition is almost the same as in 5th edition. Magic+Body with hits in boxes back. The biggest difference is that critters generally have a higher magic attribute in 5th edition and therefore get a bigger dice pool to regen with and they get Body as auto successes. So big body critters like wendigos can regen a lot of damage. Of course weapons do more damage in 5th so that doesn't matter quite so much.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ May 27 2014, 08:32 PM) *
Phrasing!

No, my phrasing is pretty much spot on there i think ^^
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 27 2014, 10:01 PM) *
Oh So... Horrible... smile.gif
I guess someone had to do it though.

Well, i mean, obviously . . i am disappoint that nobody else had done it on page 1, so naturally i stepped up!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mantis @ May 27 2014, 03:54 PM) *
Regeneration in 4th edition is almost the same as in 5th edition. Magic+Body with hits in boxes back.

Post upthread said that they add body to their hits afterward. If true (I don't have 5th to check) that makes it substantially better.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 27 2014, 02:08 PM) *
Post upthread said that they add body to their hits afterward. If true (I don't have 5th to check) that makes it substantially better.

Here is the quote...

QUOTE (SR5, Regeneration, Page 400)
This power allows rapid healing of any damage a critter has taken. At the end of each Combat Turn, if the critter has any damage on either of its Condition Monitors, it makes a Magic + Body Test, adds its Body to the number of hits scored, and heals that many boxes of damage, first from Physical overflow, then from the Physical damage monitor, and finally from the Stun damage monitor. If the critter has exceeded its Physical overflow damage, it’s not dead yet. It still gets a Regeneration Test. If, after this test, its Physical overflow still exceeds its Body, then it’s really dead.

Regeneration can’t heal everything. Damage to the brain or spinal cord (for example, a called shot to the head) can’t be healed this way. Magical damage from weapon foci, combat spells, most critter or adept powers, or Drain likewise can’t be healed by Regeneration. If the critter is damaged by something it has an Allergy to, it can heal that damage with Regeneration, but can’t make the Regeneration Test as long as it’s in contact with the allergen.

Regeneration is incompatible with augmentations. Critters with Regeneration cannot receive augmentations; surgical incisions close too quickly to perform the implantation. Critters with augmentations who gain this power will reject their augmentations as the power repairs the existing genetic template.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sendaz @ May 28 2014, 04:12 AM) *
Alright, before we go into methods, I just want to have a few points clarified.

You say he is supposed to be on 'your side'. Is this a new recruit for the team, the Johnson or muscle said Johnson has dropped on you to haul around, the new cub working the night barista down on 6th and Portland?

Or are we talking off the clock?

Oh, he's the GM's pet that I hate OOC so I'm working out how to frag him when the time comes. right now my PC doesn't even know he's a vampire.
What's the quote? "Be polite, be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Critias
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ May 27 2014, 04:25 PM) *
Oh, he's the GM's pet that I hate OOC so I'm working out how to frag him when the time comes. right now my PC doesn't even know he's a vampire.
What's the quote? "Be polite, be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Not to be a party pooper, but instead of metagaming to figure out how to kill a vampire (that you don't know is a vampire), have you thought about...uhh...maybe just talking to your GM? Letting him know your character -- for whatever reason -- hates vampires, and that this'll be an issue down the road, and you don't want to derail the game?

GMPCs are problematic at the best of times, but if he's playing one that's a super-badass-vampire-guy, on top of it all, it sounds like you might have a pretty legit reason to just sit down and talk to him about it, and save everyone a bunch of headache, as nasty combat that could go either way, and potentially some hurt feelings (or at least a thoroughly derailed campaign).
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Critias @ May 28 2014, 06:51 AM) *
Not to be a party pooper, but instead of metagaming to figure out how to kill a vampire (that you don't know is a vampire), have you thought about...uhh...maybe just talking to your GM? Letting him know your character -- for whatever reason -- hates vampires, and that this'll be an issue down the road, and you don't want to derail the game?

GMPCs are problematic at the best of times, but if he's playing one that's a super-badass-vampire-guy, on top of it all, it sounds like you might have a pretty legit reason to just sit down and talk to him about it, and save everyone a bunch of headache, as nasty combat that could go either way, and potentially some hurt feelings (or at least a thoroughly derailed campaign).

My character doesn't hate vampires. I do. One day I'll roll up a vamp hunter and take that bloodsucker out, just doing the ground work ahead of time.
Curator
he really f!!!ing dislikes vampires, it seems
DeathStrobe
Wood stake through the heart. Can't regen while in contact with the vamp's allergen.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ May 27 2014, 08:28 PM) *
Wood stake through the heart. Can't regen while in contact with the vamp's allergen.

That's so Van Helsing.

Aerosol sawdust grenades is how we exploit allergy weaknesses in the sixth world.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ May 27 2014, 07:24 PM) *
That's so Van Helsing.

Aerosol sawdust grenades is how we exploit allergy weaknesses in the sixth world.

DMSO with the primary pine allergen.
thorya
50 kg of rating 12 explosives. I have yet to meet something for which that is insufficient.

Thermite applied liberally on the infect person.

Or lace two separate blood packs with one-half of a two part explosive. Figure out how to get the detonator in yourself.
Glyph
Vampires are quite killable in Shadowrun. The trouble is, if your initial attack doesn't put it down for good, it turns into mist and gets away, to come back at the most inopportune time.

So do you think your GM will be fair if his pet NPC is threatened? Most GMPCs tend to have overpowered stats, and be run with a large degree of metagaming (happening to have a handy counter to the exotic attack you come up with, etc.).
toturi
My vampirehunter characters carry Ag Hex Hex.
Cain
If a vampire sparkles, it must die. It doesn't matter if it's literally sparkling, or just covered in plot pixie dust.

Based on the SR5 assumption, your best bet is multiple head shots. Shoot it in the head until it drops, then keep shooting down the neck until there's no spinal column left. Assuming this is a Mary-Sue GMPC, he might ignore the rule about head shots anyway, so your only way to be sure is to do enough damage that he can't argue that it's dead.
binarywraith
I've always found a Panther with something nice and incendiary in it does the job, but that works on most things, not just vampires.

Alternatively, summon the biggest fire elemental you and your nearest circle of ritual mages can manage and have it engulf the bastard.
Tiralee
Better yet, get a bunch of fire elementals and say, "you guys, hug the sparkles"

-Tir
binarywraith
If you can lay hands on a Druid, I bet you could get a tree spirit to do it instead....
Glyph
QUOTE (binarywraith @ May 28 2014, 02:54 AM) *
If you can lay hands on a Druid, I bet you could get a tree spirit to do it instead....

Just as long as they're redneck tree spirits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012