Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slang Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BigJake
Hey chummers, long-time lurker, first-time poster. Hope everyone's doing well.

I have a little bleg to make and I think (I hope) Dumpshock is the right place to do it. Here's the thing; I'm building a setting for an SR campaign. It's going to be in a megaplex version of Orlando, Florida (there are some timeline and setting tweaks going on that I won't bore you with, basically all you need to know is that Orlando is the epicentre of Florida's population and politics in this altered setting... mainly so that there can be a climactic run in the whacked-out dystopian version of Disneyland). The thing is, the way I've worked out how the population and demographics are going to look, Spanish and Haitian Creole slang should be a major part of the local argot along with all the familiar "dreks" and "frags" and "chummers" and "omaes" we know and love so well.

Trouble is I don't really speak Spanish or Haitian Creole. I have some ideas for what I'd use based on online translators and tools, but I was hoping to get some input from some honest-to-God speakers of either (or both) languages. If there's anyone out there with some fluency in Dumpshock-land, what I'm looking for is your read on what kind of slang you'd use for any of the following:

- A pal (male or female, a casual term of endearment like "buddy" or "chummer")
- A bro / close male friend or family member
- A sister / close female friend or family member
- An idiot

- F--- (or some other f-bomb level curse)
- Drek / Garbage / Sh*t or something analogous
- Telling someone to f--- off (or the equivalent)

- A bad situation
- A mess / a screw-up
- Something great
- Getting drunk
- Getting laid
- Being broke
- Being flush / rich

- A mutant
- Something gross or grotesque
- Something big and ugly
- Something that implies being gay or effeminate
- Something that implies being a circus freak

- A boss
- A connection or contact
- A snitch

- The cops (in derogatory fashion)
- Prison
- Regular people (in derogatory fashion)

- Jacking in
- Jacking out
- Being wired
- Being chromed / having cyberware

Ideally what I'm aiming for is slang / thieves' argot versions of these concepts rather than straight translations (wherever that's possible); idioms that would sound natural to the ear of a native speaker. Any ideas and input would be gratefully welcomed. Thanks so much.
ShadowDragon8685
The best insult I've ever heard for an idiot, hands-down, is the Spanish word pendejo. ("pen-day-ho") It not only carries connotations of stupidity, but willful stupidity and ignorance. The standard Japanese baka comes close.
Koekepan
Some ideas:

- A pal (male or female, a casual term of endearment like "buddy" or "chummer")
Ami (from French, via Creole)
- An idiot
Actually, the words idiot, and idiota, are pretty similar ... I wouldn't bother getting too exotic here.

- A boss
Le Chef

Romance languages aren't really my thing, sorry.
ProfGast
I do have some background in Spanish, but after a quick bit of research I found my knowledge is probably not applicable given the Spanish I know is more the Mexican-american variety that would be common in the southwest. Wikipedia claims that Orlando is predominantly Spanish speakers of Puerto Rican descent which means this link may be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Puert...rds_and_phrases

The other majority of Spanish speakers would be Cuban, which means this may help you out some: http://www.havana-guide.com/learn-spanish.html

A quick possibility on expletives:
- F--- (or some other f-bomb level curse) ¡Puta Madre! literally "Whore of a mother"
- Drek / Garbage / Sh*t or something analogous Mierda or Miercoles for sh*t. The second is the somewhat more polite euphemism (literally Wednesday)
- Telling someone to f--- off (or the equivalent) ¡Vete pa'l carajo! or if the wiki is to be believed Vete pa'l Caribe Hilton
Rad
QUOTE (BigJake @ Nov 5 2014, 05:52 PM) *
mainly so that there can be a climactic run in the whacked-out dystopian version of Disneyland

Disneyworld. Disneyland is in L.A. biggrin.gif
BigJake
QUOTE (Rad @ Nov 6 2014, 05:52 PM) *
Disneyworld. Disneyland is in L.A. biggrin.gif

Right you are. biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the responses so far and to ProfGast for those links. The difference between variants of Spanish is an important and helpful cue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012