Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti-wireless Clothing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
binarywraith
Just stumbled across this tonight, and immediately was amused. RFID-blocking clothing coming out of a collaboration between Betabrand and computer-security gurus at Norton.

http://thestack.com/rfid-blocking-blazer-j...ty-theft-171214

Hacker and founder of Pen Test Partners Ken Munro has explained that "if we are not explicitly blocking these signals there are a lot of things that can go wrong, from stealing contactless payment card details to more life-threatening issues."

Munro suggested that this preventative technology must be developed quickly as the popularity of wearable devices increases and RFID is used more frequently in wearable insulin pumps and defibrillators.

"These are the devices where tampering or hacking over radio frequency could be life-threatening […] I'm not sure that medical device manufacturers have given enough thought to security," said Munro.

So, even real-world security experts are noting that it is a serious problem to have your medical technology and identity vulnerable to wireless hacking... in 2014. Seems crazy that they'd forget that in the next 50 years and have to re-learn it the hard way, doesn't it?

Feels strange, I'm used to Shadowrun presaging reality, not our objections to Shadowrun's design decisions being echoed by reality! rotfl.gif
Bertramn
I am so including this in my game.
It's necessary, it just is.
hermit
While Darth Cheney enjoys still being in a world where lack of Wireless activity doesn't make his pacemaker nonfunctional.

So, even real-world security experts are noting that it is a serious problem to have your medical technology and identity vulnerable to wireless hacking... in 2014. Seems crazy that they'd forget that in the next 50 years and have to re-learn it the hard way, doesn't it?

Always did.
Blade
But then you can't get the wireless bonuses of your pacemaker frown.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 18 2014, 04:49 AM) *

But if he goes wireless he loses out on the bonus:

Heart Implant Wireless Bonus: You don't go shooting your buddies while quail hunting.

You have been warned. nyahnyah.gif

On a side note, good to see Disklab has basically turned out the Faraday Bag for blocking mobile signals of contained items.

Wonder if someone is going to make a Faraday style netgun that fires a signal dampening mesh around the target to restrain them as well as prevent them from setting off some remote device via wifi/mobile signals...
Bertramn
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Dec 18 2014, 01:50 PM) *
... a Faraday style netgun that fires a signal dampening mesh around the target to restrain them as well as prevent them from setting off some remote device via wifi/mobile signals...

Now that's just awesome.
Stahlseele
Still not as awesome as the Monowire Netgun.
Bertramn
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 18 2014, 03:51 PM) *
Still not as awesome as the Monowire Netgun.

Why not both?

'You are dead now, and you can't even tweet about it either!'
Sendaz
QUOTE (Bertramn @ Dec 18 2014, 09:59 AM) *
Why not both?

'You are dead now, and you can't even tweet about it either!'

Because I figure the Faraday net is probably a finer mesh to ensure signal dampening while a monowire net may have a wider mesh as you don't mind chunks falling through so devices may get lucky and fall through a gap and still get a signal out.

Course you can just go with a fine mesh Faraday/Monowire combo to make a bloody mist and no signal output so I guess you are right, why not both? nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012