Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sourcebooks for Hong Kong
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Elfenlied
Which books contain setting information on Hong Kong?
Sendaz
Shadows of Asia

forthcoming Shadowrun:Hong Kong CampaignSourcebook for those who participated in the kickstarter, but this has not come out yet.
TeOdio
Shadows of Asia (3rd Ed Sourcebook) had a write up for Hong Kong. A more detailed write up of Hong Kong in general was included in Runner Havens (4th Ed Sourcebook). A couple of adventures center around Hong Kong but they typically refer to the original source material.

lokii
In addition Shadowrun 2050 includes a few pages on Hongkong in the early 2050s and the Sixth World Almanac has two pages, though I think that's more of a recap maybe with a little update. It is probably the most recent treatment of Hong Kong for the 2070s setting, but Runner Havens is much more comprehensive and basically the same time frame.

You can also have a look at the Shadowhelix' index of sources, right-hand column is English sources: http://shadowhelix.pegasus.de/Hongkong#Quellenindex

And let me take the opportunity to point to my map on the territorial evolution of the Chinese Successor States, if you haven't seen it yet:

http://shadowhelix.pegasus.de/images/a/a2/...ssor_States.gif (info)

It's less about Hong Kong than its surroundings, but maybe you have a use for it.

Blade
Runner Havens has a great write-up of Hong-Kong. It might lack a bit of substance to be able to tell what the place actually looks like, but it's a good starting point.
Elfenlied
Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful! smile.gif

QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 15 2015, 08:32 AM) *
And let me take the opportunity to point to my map on the territorial evolution of the Chinese Successor States, if you haven't seen it yet:

Very nice! I saw a similar about the UCAS once. Are you by chance the author of that one too?

Also, German is totally fine with me, as I am from Germany biggrin.gif
lokii
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jun 15 2015, 05:13 PM) *
Very nice! I saw a similar about the UCAS once. Are you by chance the author of that one too?
Yep, hence the "Keeper of the Timeline Maps". There are also animations for South America, Middle America and some other stuff. It's all in the From Germany with Love thread. Just look for my posts if you are interested.

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jun 15 2015, 05:13 PM) *
Also, German is totally fine with me, as I am from Germany biggrin.gif
With the name I thought that might be the case, but I figured you wanted English sources either way.
hermit
Which books contain setting information on Hong Kong?

To get into more obscure sources, parts of the secrets of Power trilogy take place in Hong Kong. There's also a lot of tidbits hidden in the adventure hooks books (Jet Set, Corporate Intrigue, The Twilight Horizon, Artifacts Unbound and Bloody Business), as well as Emergnce and the Bad Moon Rising In The East PDF supplement to Ghost Cartels. There's other (older) adventures set there too, but off the top of my hat I cannot name them.

Plus, of course, the upcoming Shadowrun Returns: Hong Kong game, and the promised accompanying sourcebook. Which will be about ong Kong in the 1050s though. The most recent, in terms of timeline, writeup would be the Almanac, with the most recent usable writeup being in Runner Havens.
Adarael
Being rather intimately familiar with all of the Hong Kong source material, I have to say that Shadows of Asia is really quite disappointing in that regard - it's a very shallow treatment.

Runner Havens is MUCH more robust with regards to the city and the people who operate in it - but it's obviously biased towards the 2070s.

Brainscan has a segment in Hong Kong where you retrieve Inazo Aneki. Blood in the Boardroom has Track 4 - Out of the East - which has some information on the Pacific Prosperity Group, but not much on Hong Kong specifically. Lastly, Survival of the Fittest has an adventure segment where you steal the Jade Dragon of Wind and Fire from the Wuxing Skytower in Central Hong Kong.

In terms of the Shadowrun: Hong Kong sourcebook, I can't say what it'll be exactly (since I'm not involved in making it), but in terms of what we're making for the video game, I suspect it'll be more like a Ghost Cartels book - mostly plot, with bonus setting information.
Blade
You might also find this interesting. Today's Hong-Kong already has a cyberpunk vibe to it in many aspects.
Nemo
@ Blade

Thank you for the link
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012