Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Japanese Shadowrun Art
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Arethusa
Eh. I see a lot of general form resemblance to the MSG90 if you factor in a lot of incompetence. Then again, the 93R AG Auto 9 is pretty much spot on (at least relatively), so maybe it's coincidental and simply bad. Who knows.
Austere Emancipator
I've been looking at different HKs for most of my life, simply because I've always loved what they look like. Generally speaking, I can spot when a drawn gun has been inspired by HK styling right away, the most telling is always the trigger group and grip. In this one, they don't look HK at all.

I'm really trying hard to see any similarity to existing HK firearms, and I can't. No HK gun has similar design in any of the specific parts I mentioned (which basically means no part of the gun looks like HK at all).
otomik
nevermind
JavaLamp
Kagetenshi, yes, that should be all there is so far, I don't think I'll bother with the cover, too much work, besides, all it says is:

Fantasy File
Fantasy file (yes, they repeated the same thing)

The Understand Shadowrun well book!
Murakawa Shinobu & Group SNE

-JL

Thanks to everyone involved in making the translations available.
Tzeentch for the originals.
Kagetenshi for the webspace.
Dumpshock for the forum.
hobgoblin
edit: never mind...
Xirces
QUOTE (JavaLamp)
The Understand Shadowrun well book!

Gotta love literal Japanese translations. So much more fun than English smile.gif
shadd4d
QUOTE (Arethusa)
It's not alright, even for people who like anime. It's pretty much standard bad manga art. I will say that it's better than almost anything FASA and FanPro generally publish (there are a few very rare exceptions that rise above the level of abysmal mediocrity that seems to cut it for them), but that's not exactly something to write home about. And the style itself absolutely does not suit SR, or anything with any amount of grit, for that matter.

Mini sam, on the other hand, is wonderfully cute and cute and wonderful all at once. And besides, good art or no, it's fairly interesting.

Looking at what I know of Fanpro's shadowrun art, they've come a long way. Should the chance happen, look at the German Germany Sourcebook. The art is more mediocre than even SSC. It's just....it could have been better. Heck, the art from the American translation is twice as better, and that's not exactly one of the big art books.

The new Germany sourcebook and some of the art in the newer books is pretty good; I'm interested in seeing which art gets used in SoE.

Don
Koneko
QUOTE (Arethusa)
It's not alright, even for people who like anime. It's pretty much standard bad manga art.

But that's it's charm! It's like the kind of crap you scribble in the margins of your character sheet when the GM is off handling the decker or the damn mage who wants to travel everywhere in astral space (I know I'm not the only one who does it). Its shoddiness is what makes it cool. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tzeentch)
Yes the art is typical manga quality, it's no Tenra Bansho Zero or anything

Man, one of these days I'm gonna translate that game, just so nobody will ever play it with me. Beautiful art though. It had those little mini-manga bits in it too. I wonder if that kind of thing is common with Japanese RPG's? Tenra Banshou Rei and Shadowrun are the only Japanese RPG Books I've ever seen.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Arethusa)
That HK227 looks less like an SMG and more like a bizarre (and kind of dumb) assault rifle with a bit of MSG90 mixed in for fun.

To me it looks pretty much like the HK227 picture from SR1.
And AFAIK the HK227 had Assault Rifle damage code in SR1 which would explain the picture - it's not a SMG but an AR Carbine like the AK-97MP or a real-world M4.
With SR2 it was turned (stat-wise) into an ordinary SMG.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Arethusa)

Man, one of these days I'm gonna translate that game, just so nobody will ever play it with me. Beautiful art though. It had those little mini-manga bits in it too. I wonder if that kind of thing is common with Japanese RPG's? Tenra Banshou Rei and Shadowrun are the only Japanese RPG Books I've ever seen.

-- If you're awesome at translation, or know someone who is, and are willing to work for peanuts let me know. The English translation of Tenra Bansho IS being worked on . . . muhahah

. . . it's just in Japanese contract hell right now at Enterbrain . . .
Rorimack
It's not alright, even for people who like anime. It's pretty much standard bad manga art.

Still better than the SR mangas themselves smile.gif

Anyone interested in samples from them?
Tziluthi
Sure. Are they really that bad?
CardboardArmor
I think he means bad in the car accident sort of sense. It's horrible, and you want to look away, but you just can't.
Kagetenshi
Sounds good, old Brandybuck.

~J
Phaeton
...The elf on the lower-left of the cover looks disturbingly like Link sans his infamous green cap...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012