Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Japanese Shadowrun Art
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Phaeton
HAH! Those are great! Lot better than Prescott...

...Best sig ever, by the way. rotfl.gif
Rock-Steady
LOL

I like them...
JongWK
MORE!!!

We.Want.More! rotfl.gif
Smiley
Sweeeeeet. New character based on Ork giving the finger, coming right up.
Kagetenshi
My, but the Drain one would probably make more sense if I could read Japanese.

~J
Kanada Ten
Congratulations on getting a scanner, Tzeentch. And thanks for posting the pictures.
Neon Tiger
Does anyone know enough Japanese to translate the mini-mangas?

And Tzeentch, got more of those? biggrin.gif
Tzeentch
Updated with another five images ...
FXcalibur
Whoa, I'd buy it just for the novelty of having it biggrin.gif Is the book available outside of Japan?
Abstruse
That's now the portrait for my decker character...

MORE!!!!!!!!

The Abstruse One
winterhawk11
Those are very cool! I second the request about where to get the book--I'd love to have a copy of it just for the art!
hobgoblin
oh man, that pool comic was damn funny smile.gif kinda like something you would expect in a ranma comic smile.gif
BrianL03
Curse you kanji and your thwarting of my reading the manga explanations! >_<

A sad thing is, I think I might have understood the rules a lot quicker if I had complete literacy in Japanese as well as that book...

BrianL03

Japanese 1
------R/W 1
Erebus
This *almost* makes me wish some gaming company in Tokyo picked up Shadowrun instead of Wizkids. smile.gif Awesome pictures!

simonw2000
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
Does anyone know enough Japanese to translate the mini-mangas?

I was about to say that!
Koneko
Mini-Manga Explaining Asshole Players (or something)

Actually it's about the benefits of wearing armor.

Roughly translated it's something like... (remember it's Japanese so read the page from right to left)

Panel 1:
Damage Resistance!
[the boxes under the girl and guy say "No Armor" and "Armor Jacket" respectively]
"Let's perform an experiment. These people have different protective levels, but..."

Panel 2:
"...what happens when they're shot with a gun!?"
"GYAAAAAAAAH!!!!"
*pratatatatatatata* (that's the sound of the gun)

Panel 3:
[the boxes under the girl and guy say something like "Shot to bits" and "Nothing happened" respectively]
"THAT WAS DANGEROUS YOU IDIOT!"
"Get into a gunfight without armor and it will be over as fast as possible." (I can't translate this line well, but i think it's *something* along those lines)

I'll translate the others later, but hopefully someone with better Japanese than me will come by and do it in about 5 minutes biggrin.gif
CardboardArmor
That dice pool one was the greatest thing ever. The next time someone asks me how the dice system works, I'll just hand them that picture and let them figure it out. Little cartoon characters and writing in a language you can't understand actually makes Shadowrun rules and concepts a lot easier to understand. I think that whole 'lesser reliance on words and more on pictures and icons' thing that happens in Shadowrun might actually catch on...
simonw2000
I think the shaman and mage picture is quite clear.
simonw2000
Anyone know the translation for the one to do with Drain?
JavaLamp
I'm working on translating them all and editing the pictures so they have english, I've already edited a few of the simple ones, I'm doing the drain one right now.

-JL
~~~~~~~~~~~
Anybody have some space I can store them to?
Kagetenshi
I can toss them up on SotSW.net if you want; email is my username @kanshishakage.net if you're interested.

~J
JavaLamp
Sounds good to me, I just finished Drain, I'm working on them in the order they're posted above. I'll send you what I've got.

-JL
Kagetenshi
Here they are. I may actually turn that into a proper page at some point, but for right now the list ought to do.

~J
Kagetenshi
Updated. That dierolling thing is apparently an explanation of karma rerolls.

~J
A Clockwork Lime
I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but... this art really bites. It's all right, I guess, for fans of anime or manga or whatever, but ugh. I'd rather see nothing but Laubenstein and Prescott's work than anything like this finding its way into the sourcebooks.

I appreciate the sharing of the art, though. It's always cool to see another culture's take on concepts and ideas.
Shadow
I second that. As mang/anime goes it is really medicore. Go to elfwood and you can find a hundred better artist to do work for Shadowrun.
Arethusa
It's not alright, even for people who like anime. It's pretty much standard bad manga art. I will say that it's better than almost anything FASA and FanPro generally publish (there are a few very rare exceptions that rise above the level of abysmal mediocrity that seems to cut it for them), but that's not exactly something to write home about. And the style itself absolutely does not suit SR, or anything with any amount of grit, for that matter.

Mini sam, on the other hand, is wonderfully cute and cute and wonderful all at once. And besides, good art or no, it's fairly interesting.
CardboardArmor
I maintain that its ability to boil down complex concepts to relatively simple pictures and a few sentences is its greatest selling point. Art be damned, it's just the medium the information is conveyed to you in.

Though, I am pleased by the lack of katanas so far in the art.
Arethusa
True, it does have a very definite and attractive selling point in getting the information across easily to even the slowest of players. Shadowrun can be pretty daunting to the RPG-uninitiated.
JavaLamp
Ok, I sent the last of it off to Kagetenshi, they should be posted soon

Enjoy!
-JL
CardboardArmor
Thanks for the translation work, Java. I feel kind of bad looking at these without saying it.
JavaLamp
Meh, the hardest bit was editing the images, I'm horrid at that, it's not like I put too much effort into making a 'professional level' translation or anything.

Anyhow, thanks, and enjoy the translations.

-JL
Tzeentch
The original images were scanned at 600 dpi. I then ran them through Photoshop to clean them up a little and drasticalyl cut down their file size.

Thanks for the translation!! If you need somewhere to store the images let me know and I'll place them with the originals.

Yes the art is typical manga quality, it's no Tenra Bansho Zero or anything wink.gif
GreatChicken
sarcastic.gif I thought Shadowrun wasn't all that nitty and gritty, and it had leeway for some offbeat stuff like this. I kinda like this take better. If only this stuff (translated) was around when I first started, I wouldn't have THAT much trouble learning the ropes.

Oh, thanks for the scans. lick.gif
JavaLamp
It might be good to have the originals and translations stored together, redundancy in storage on the net is always a good thing.

So, yeah, go ahead, put 'em up with the originals, it'll make it easier when I show all my newb SR players how to play on Friday. mmm... shadowrun... I haven't played in soooooo long... I finally have a group, even *if* I have to teach them.

-JL
CardboardArmor
I think the damage reduction one is broken. Is it supposed to be reading at 27k in filesize?
JavaLamp
Might be, it's 130,331 on my copy.

-JL
~~~~~~~~~
so, Tzeentch, shall I send them off to you?
hobgoblin
its broken all right, opening it leads to a bad image that tells me nothing at all...
Tzeentch
Uploaded another five images.

Nah, just keep the translations on that website and I'll shuttle them over myself.
JavaLamp
I'll get to more translation after work.. or something, I'll do 'em soon enough.

-JL
Kagetenshi
Yep, the Damage Reduction one is broken due to an error in my FTP client. I'm going to fix it as soon as I get a chance, don't worry; just in the middle of a Shadowrun game and all smile.gif

~J
otomik
i can translate the weapons pic, see if this engrish sounds familiar:
1. He-kke-raa- & Ko-cch HK227 (thing looks a bit bigger than i imagined)
2. Ah-ru-su Pa-ru-da-ta (one again the RoboCop gun, picture looks like it fires a long cartridge like 10mm)
3. Mo-no-wi-ra-men-to Wi-ppu
JavaLamp
Ok, so I got ambitious, I just finished doing Phase 3's translations and sent them to Kagetenshi. Enjoy!

-JL
~~~~~~
is now late for work
Arethusa
More accurately,

Hekkeraa & Kohho(should be chyu?) HK227
Aresu Puredetaa
Monohuiramento Uippu

I don't know what's up with these illustrations. That HK227 looks less like an SMG and more like a bizarre (and kind of dumb) assault rifle with a bit of MSG90 mixed in for fun. That Predator is just a Beretta 93R AG Auto 9 (the Robocop gun), though, as noted, those bullets look a little .357 Magnum esque.
FXcalibur
Heh, I prefer this take as well. Grit my ass, I hate the cyberpunk elements of shadowrun the most.

They should have tried some graphic explanation like this in the sourcebooks. The wading pool one made my SR-learning friends realize how to use in very quick measure.
GreatChicken
That HK227 looks less like an SMG and more like a bizarre (and kind of dumb) assault rifle with a bit of MSG90 mixed in for fun.

Until you consider that it seems to follow H&K standard assault rifle design. It kinda reminds me of the G3-series (especially the G36) for some reason.

<EDIT> -Whoops. Misread. sleepy.gif Maybe the scope's a mod or something.
Arethusa
Uh, GreatChicken, the MSG90 is a Heckler & Koch built sniper rifle. It's seen some use with the US Marine Corps. That drawing o the HK227 looks a lot like a shortened MSG90. Unfortuantely, if you know guns, you know that the MSG90 is a cheaper and battlefield viable version of the PSG-1, which is itself based on the G3 rifle. None of these are sane design choices for a submachinegun. But, hell, the fact that there's a scope on that HK227 is bad enough.
Kagetenshi
Ok, new stuff uploaded, damage resistance thing fixed. I'm pretty sure this is everything I've received.

~J
Austere Emancipator
I don't think the HK227 in the Weapons.jpg picture looks like a H&K at all. None of the basic HK feature are there -- the trigger group, the feed, the stock, the upper receiver, the fore end, the barrel, the sights, all look like nothing in an existing HK firearm. Maybe, just maybe, the bit of barrel that you do see looks like the end of the barrel on an MSG90A1, except that it really doesn't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012