Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Behind the Crown [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
pbangarth
The stiff breeze off the ocean reminds Blue of the mistake he made in the diner. Out here, while Karmakaze rummages around in the thugs' vehicle, Blue summons a small spirit of the air to provide support if needed. He'll keep it in the astral for now, on call. It should have no difficulty keeping up with the two of them should they drive away.

[ Spoiler ]

The stress of the morning's activities finally catches up to Blue. His head reels, just a bit, from the effort of the summoning. A quick nap will fix it though. Should he get the opportunity.

He goes over to Karmakaze at the truck. """ I've got a small spirit on call in the astral in case we need help. """
Bastard
"""Thanks, Blue. Can you check the back of the truck? Or maybe the spirit can? See if we can find anything about these drek-wagons, or their employer."""

Karma pops the hood from the cab, gathers all the paperwork and anything else that looks like identifiable personal property, then re-locks the doors and closes up the truck. Under the hood she pulls the spark plug wires free, so even if the goons have a spare key, their truck isn't going anywhere. Then she joins Blue at the back to see if he found anything.
pbangarth
Blue smiles to himself (not in that disparaging way but with experience of himself not knowing the ins and outs of another's trade). Using up a spirit service to poke through someone's laundry tossed in the back ... well, maybe that could be useful, sometimes. Anyway, while Karmakaze disables the vehicle, Blue checks the back of the truck.
Koekepan
The rear hatch, such as it is, is simply the cover to an integrated toolbox. It reveals a selection of greasy, rusty, grimy tools, packing straps and such paraphernalia. If Karmakaze has a dreadful yearning for an oil-stained 25mm socket wrench, she can satisfy it here.

The back of the truck proper is empty except for the hitch arrangement that will let this truck tow a trailer full of heavy equipment - or a powerboat, in this case. Of course, the boat is worth a peep but it doesn't take long to confirm that the only things of note on the boat are the usual marine flotation cushions, lifejackets, whistles and so on. Oh, look, a fire extinguisher.

Actually, the boat looks pretty new, as does everything on it.
pbangarth
Blue resists an urge to drill a hole in the boat. Too much time. He turns to Karmakaze. """ Waddaya say we get out of here before the cavalry arrives? I'm hoping I can hitch a ride with you. Then I can tell you my hypothesis for what is going on with Mitsuhama's hunt for me and mystery Johnson's desire to keep me free. Oh. And stop at a Stuffer shack for another burner. """
Bastard
"""Yeah, let's roll. Don't worry, Lone Star takes on average just over 10 minutes to reach the call. That's my grey Elektro right over there,""" Karma points to the small dull hatchback nearby. She switches the half-full clip on the Ingram with a new one, then switches out the empty clip on the Savalette, before getting in the car.

She turned on the police scanner to get an idea which direction the police would be arriving. Once Blue was buckled up, she put the car in gear and whirred out of the parking lot.

pbangarth
Blue connected with the spirit. ::: Stay with me in case I need you. :::
Koekepan
The 'Star are already under way, of course. However, they appear to be hazy on the exact location in question, so while they're definitely coming down the main drag, they don't yet know when to stop. Apparently, to judge by radio chatter, a yellowjacket is on its way for surveillance, but low cloud and precipitation won't make things easier. DocWagon's data on wounded will be helpful to them, but there's some kind of hitch in delivery of that data. Karmakaze has no way of knowing for sure, but experience suggests that there's the usual turf war, in which DocWagon wants to take critically wounded people away that Lone Star might want to grab, and vice versa. Given the kind of money involved in critical medical care, this is a bit of a sore point.

At any rate, there's only one road leading down this way, and if Karmakaze wants to make it past the connecting intersection in time to avoid a bright officer setting up a road block, she has a minute - two at most. Then again, if she's willing to take the time to read between lines, she might be able to figure a creative way out. Or not.
Bastard
Karmakaze pulls onto the main road and heads for a strip mall up the road, pulling in and parking in the middle of the lot, amongst a scattering of other average looking cars. She kills the lights and waits for the authorities to drive past.

"""There are several Stuffer Shacks near by, but let's hit one of those little neighborhood one's. Less chance of run-ins with the law or your friends."""

pbangarth
""" Good move pulling in here. Also the Stuffer Shack idea. """

Blue calls the spirit to stay astrally inside the vehicle. He feels the chill as it adjusts to the cramped quarters. Better that than to have some magical response to the trouble they stirred up happen to notice it hovering over an ordinary car in the middle of an ordinary parking lot. While they wait, he explains his hypothesis.

""" I've been thinking. The project to assimilate the company I worked for, Biozu, by Mitsuhama, was almost certainly coordinated by some manager in the triple A. Escapees would be a black mark on their record in Mitsuhama. Also for the corp itself. So, all out hunt for me, a big reward, etc. But why does someone else want me protected? For exactly a week? And how did that person know within hours, maybe minutes, of the operation's partial failure?

""" I figure a week is the time allotted to the manager to fix his failure. After that, Mitsuhama will cut their losses and hire someone else to do what I did. And I bet some other mid-level manager stands to gain from my hunter's failure and is working, on the sly, to obfuscate their attempts to get me.

""" I can only hope the five more days you've been told will be the end of it. I don't relish the thought of going the rest of my life dealing with low-lifes like those back at the diner. Or someone more competent.

""" And, dammit, I've got a job to do while dodging them! """
Koekepan
While Blue lays out his view of the world, a pair of DocWagon VTOL units thunder past, barely above rooftop height. They must be combat-ready teams, because Blue and Karmakaze can both see machinegun pods attached.

Barely seconds later, an unmarked vehicle comes swooshing by. It must be electric, because it's quiet aside from the roar of displaced air and the chirps of the tyres. Is it following the DocWagon units? Probably. Possibly. But Karmakaze is sure that at least three more, louder and flashier, will be coming soon.
Bastard
Red and blue lights go flashing by. Once. Twice. Once another car heads out of the parking lot, Karmakaze puts the Volkswagen in drive and follows out onto the road, heading away from the scene of the crime incident.

Karma takes a turn toward the city, up a moderately traveled thoroughfare with moderate traffic and falls in with the asphalt herd.

"""We should be clear. You see anything in the spirit world?"""
pbangarth
""" I'd have to stick my head out the window to see anything around us in the astral. I'll wait a bit till we are farther away from the diner, and then I'll ask the spirit to check around. Might as well get something for the fog summoning it has settled on my brain. """

Once they have travelled a bit, Blue will send out his scout. ::: Hey, Breezy, move out of this vehicle now, and search around for and report back to me about spirits or projecting beings that look like they are keeping up with us or getting closer to us. :::
Koekepan
Spirits are pretty literal beings, as Blue has already discovered once. There are half a dozen spirits sitting around the vehicle - ostensibly innocuous, but they're keeping up and so they get reported. This includes everything from a minor gremlin nibbling on the essence of wiring, to a confused-looking squirrel spirit that shrieks about vengeance for the fallen.

Outside the vehicle, there's a fair range of things that are apparently on collision courses with the vehicle, or at least approaching. Potentially the most worrying is a crab spirit described as :::robust:::, :::potent::: and :::tumescent:::.
pbangarth
Blue will fill Karmakaze in on the inhabitants of her vehicle later. But now ... """ I have to leave my body to meet something potentially dangerous! Pull over so I don't lose you and my body. """

He projects astrally to see what in Hell is happening now.

Daytime. Bloody daytime.
Koekepan
Immediately, Blue comes to the astral, and finds ... well, nothing immediately concerning. He looks around, and sees what looks like a very, very minor spirit, about the strength of a minimal watcher spirit, trying to nibble at what he'd guess to be the dashboard. It's like a cackling rat.

He glances around, and sees nothing too surprising. There's a tree, there are various building manifestations, and emerging from a manhole is a centipede-looking thing the size of one of those flexible pipes that utility maintenance crews use for pumping out water from the holes that they dig. Only a lot more leggy and mobile, but at least it isn't a crab.
Bastard
"""Let me find a good place to park."""

Karma drives another few blocks looking for another good place to stop, like a strip mall, grocery outlet, or drug store. Any place would do, but if there were a place to pick up a burner, they could kill two birds with one stone. She spots something that will do and pulls into the parking lot. She parks the car so she can see anyone coming into the lot.
Koekepan
It's morning, so while Blue is in another world, Karmakaze sees regular early commercial activity. Cheap 'links are easily found, so the little corner store that a hundred years ago might have been a news stand, is now just such a place.

She can also get four different flavours of soymilk there.
pbangarth
Blue looks around the astral space, and asks a question he had never thought he might ask. ::: So, where's the tumescent crab? :::
Koekepan
The spirit points across about three blocks of urban activity. :::It's in the canal. When I saw it, it was fattening itself on the rich effluent of the city.:::

The spirit-centipede's antennae waggle as it moves towards the astral side of Blue's location.
pbangarth
Blue shakes his ethereal head. ::: Thanks, Breezy. You are indeed thorough. :::

He returns to his body. Once back, he grins sheepishly at Koekepan. """ Sometimes I forget how literal spirits can be, especially the little ones. Sorry about the false alarm.

""" You have a couple of small ones inhabiting your vehicle. Nothing serious, but later, once I am rested, I would be happy to send them on their way.

""" Oh. Thanks for finding a place to buy a burner. Let me do that and we can be on our way. If we head back to my place, I can show you the documents I have pertaining to the contract and fill you in on what I have learned so far. """
Bastard
"""You want me to get the burner while you keep watch?"""
pbangarth
""" OK. Seems like a plan, seeing as I have been targetted once today already. Breezy and I will keep watch. """
Bastard
Karma leaves the car running while she heads into the store to buy a burner phone as well as some granola bars, energy bars, some canned and other instant food, some water and some drinks. It might be a long week.
Koekepan
That's the beauty of semi-automated shopping. A few taps on an entry surface, a shopping list compiled, and the stockroom disgorges standardised boxes on a little conveyor belt. The bored girl behind the glass hooks them onto a carrier, and once the credstick clears, shoves them out through the lock portal. Done.

Human contact not zero, but close to it.

Overhead, the DocWagon flight rumbles away to the city centre once more.
Bastard
Karmakaze returned to her car, scanning the lot as she did so.

"You see anything?"
pbangarth
""" Nope. Nothing yet. I've got a place, kind of a dive, but out of the way, and I have materials there to fill you in on the contract I have going now. While you come up to speed, I can get some rest to make up for a night of activity, and get rid of the drain from the last summoning. """
Bastard
"""Is it any way attached to you? I got a friend in Lone Star that might be able to set us up with a place."""
pbangarth
""" Yeah, I did contact my decker chum, Billy from there, so it is possible that is a connection. He's the least likely of the people I've spoken to since my departure to have a compromised link. In the short run, we can rest at my place while you figure out something better. In any case, if we are going somewhere else, I have to get back there to pick up important items. """
Bastard
"""Let me call my guy. Might be a long-shot, but maybe he can get us a witness protection safe house."""

Karmakaze called her friend still on the force, Lt. Booker.

"""LT. I got some people after me, possibly a mega, I don't even know why. Do have any places I can lay low for week? Off the books? ... Definitely off the books."""

"""Drek. Sorry Kahless. If you are hiding from the megacorps, they have access, unofficially supposedly, to our safe house lists. You definitely don't want to use us a source."""

"""Even the witness protection houses?""" she asked, knowing it was likely over his head.

"""Especially the witness protection houses."""

"""..."""

"""Sorry I couldn't be any help. Keep in touch."""

"""Thanks, LT,""" Karma replied, defeated.

"""Kahless?"""

"""Yeah,""" she replied, hopefully.

"""The jails are safe."""

"""Thanks."""

She disconnected. She was not in the mood for his sarcasm right now.

Karmakaze looks at Blue, asked """Which way to your place?,""" then put the car back in Drive.
pbangarth
Blue senses the disappointment in Karmakaze's voice. """ I'm there myself. No help from your buddies and the wolves are circling. Looks like you and I are it. Hey, it's only five days more, right? """

He gives her directions to his apartment. +++ Let's see her reaction to this. +++
Koekepan
It's pretty dead at this time of the morning. Sure, there's the traffic scooting past, and people nattering to each other in virtual space and all that fancy stuff, but the club under which Blue lives is off for the day. The staff have cleaned up, the lights are off, and it's quiet.

It kind of looks low-rent, in the cold light of day, with droplets of rain doing their slow etch of the external surfaces. No trid displays, no eye-catching lights, just a blocky building in which things happen at some other time.
Bastard
Karmakaze pulls out of the parking lot, but then circles back.

"""You know. Maybe I should turn my phone off, too. If my contact said the megas know of all his safe houses, they may figure out at some point who is helping you, then trace me."""

She returns to the store, purchases a burner for herself, and gets back in the car. From the center console she pulls a pad and a pen, and hands it to Blue with her comlink.

"""Can you copy a few numbers out of my 'link for me?"""

"""My place is the other way."""

"""I got to make a stop first."""

Along the way she tells her the names, numbers and addresses to copy down. Then asks him to delete them from her device and enter her burner number into the phone under the name Miz Johnson.

-----

They pull up to a small duplex in Auburn. It is a quiet neighborhood. Run-down and only a block over from old industrial buildings, but quiet.

Karmakaze takes the comlink from Blue, enters the house, and a few seconds later returns to the vehicle. Inside the house her comlink is sitting on the charger, logged into MatrixFlix on auto-play.

"""To your place we go."""

------

Pulling into the parking lot of Blue's "residence" Karma smiles.

"""Perfect."""

She finds a spot in the pot-holed parking lot in the row closest to the building, furthest from the street, about halfway from the club's entrance and the end of the row.

pbangarth
Blue leads Karmakaze into his subterranean, sub-woofered apartment. A quick cup of soycaf for each, seating as can be found, and Blue explains the situation regarding the contract between Petsonal Petsonalities and PoliDemos. To the best of his understanding. Wouldn't it be great if Karmakaze understood contract law?!?

He glosses over stuff about Hopalong and Carlos, Billy's niece and the spirit swarm, and Betty, but if Karmakaze asks, he can elaborate.

[ Spoiler ]
Koekepan
The apartment is, of course, far too low in the ceiling for Karmakaze to do anything more than hunch over and scoot to the nearest seating for relief. Her long legs practically bisect the space when she stretches them out.
Bastard
Karma finds an uncomfortable seat on the couch, adjusting her position several times as Blue gives her the full rundown of everything going on.

"""So, let me see if I understand:

"""We want to find out if Petsonal is selling these "atavophid basilisks" aka "dragonettes" to anyone other than PoliDemos. These "dragonettes" are actually mutated awakened pythons, that are highly intelligent, sing and release spores? And something about atavistic para-genetics? - Whatever that means.

"""On top of that, PoliDemos is actually getting the snakes for free, because they are blackmailing Petsonal. Do we care why?

"""Finally, can you give me little detail on your team, and what happened to them? Maybe that will give me something into helping defend you."""

Blue starts to answer, but Karmakaze interrupts, """Actually one more thing. You were saying something that your owl spirit guide said to you. Something about missing the mark, but maybe it was because your guide misled you? I don't know anything about spirits, but it seems like your inner totem suspects that your Mr. Johnson has guided you to the wrong place, which seems like you already suspect."""
pbangarth
""" Yes, my Totem is helpful, if a bit cryptic sometimes. I am still thinking about what Owl told me. My current hypothesis is that Mr. Johnson has not told me everything. I understand this is often the case in such dealings. On the surface, I/we are to observe and determine whether the contract with Petsonal Petsonalities is being adhered to. But, I have had a great deal of trouble deciphering the contract. I'm no lawyer. If you want to take a stab at it, please be my guest. Mr. Johnson said that there might be some ... persuasion ... required to get Petsonal to adhere to the contract, but that this would be unlikely. Another 5000 Nuyen comes if strongarming is required. My magical skills were important to Mr. Johnson in this regard. I have learned since taking the contract that strongarming is a favoured negotiation tactic for PoliDemos. Mr. Johnson also suggested that should this investigation conclude favourably, there might be more work in the future.

""" I am finding that 24/7 surveillance is a little difficult for one person. A second set of eyes would be much appreciated. Especially for work during the daytime.

""" Furthermore, one of my forays into the Petsonal facility brought me into contact with one of the paranormal animals, a bird that can sound a shrieking alarm and waken the whole paranormal lot of them. It seems to want to buy its way out, possibly with Greek money, possibly from PoliDemos, suggesting it has some knowledge of Polidemos. I don't know what to make of that. Is it beholden to PloiDemos? Is it a spy for them?

""" As you say, as far as the contract goes, who cares what PoliDemos wants with the snakes? It is however, from my legwork, turning out to be a thuggish group. Should they have paranormal animals at their service, I don't know what that would lead to for the community. Thugs with magic. Yuch.

""" I have half a mind to go talk to the manager of Petsonal and just say, 'Look, your business partners are suspicious of something here. Can you keep your end of the bargain for the next twelve days, so this current investigation can go away?' """

Blue takes a sip of his soycaf. Nowhere near as good as the drink at the diner.

""" In terms of your contract and predecessors in it, the only other person who had your role as protector was a woman who goes by the name Hopalong. At the time she got the contract, she was to protect four of us from being swept up by Mitsuhama. We were holed up in her safehouse which should have worked, but one of the four of us gave the location away to Mitsuhama. I was away, having found a place closer to the facility. I returned in time to see Mitsuhama operatives in a full assault on the safehouse. I dealt with those on the outside with a strong spirit and some magic. Anyone inside was killed when Hopalong blew up her safehouse.

""" The snitch and another former employee died at the safehouse. The third person, an IT specialist, escaped with Hopalong and has gone underground. I don't know what happened to him. Hopalong seems to have decided other priorities superseded her contract. One of my contacts connected me with a person by the name of Betty, whose place I stayed at for a short period of time and who had joined my job. She got some kind of family emergency call, and bailed. After I shared some of the up-front money and a magic item. Sucks to be me.

""" So. What do you think? """
Bastard
"""Bad week. Bad contract. How are we supposed to prove PetS is or isn't following the contract? Sounds like a classic datasteal job. Get into their system and get a copy of their financials and a copy of their records on the number of dragonets vs the ones on hand still, and the ones sold, or given, to the Poli's. Maybe that is why there are so many different names for the "product:" Ones sold on the market, and ones given to Poli.

"""Maybe you can talk to this parrot again? Maybe if he truly wants your help, he will give you some better clues to freeing him?"""
pbangarth
""" Yeah, well, the only chance I have of getting data like that is through my contact who got the batch of transactions between the two. I trust him, and his ability to keep his communications secure, but Mitsuhama found me somehow. Could have been through my conversations with other contacts, or through Billy. Mitsuhama has more resources than he does. I don't think it's wise to contact any of them until the week is up. I don't know if you have that kind of skill or a contact who does.

""" As far as talking to the bird again, I can do that. Work out some kind of angle to bring ... him? ... around. Not right now though. I need some rest. If you're up for a physical recce, following another idea, or talking to some friends, go for it. Give me a solid eight hours sleep and I will be clear headed again. Once dusk falls, I will be up to full speed and be able to take another look. """

Blue considers for a moment and adds a caveat.

""" Billy asked a favour for the legwork he did. He asked me to check out whether a niece of his is being fed a line about her magical abilities. I took one shot at it last night but ran into some interesting static. I wish I could talk to one of my people about it. Once night falls, I will pass by her place again to see if I can figure things out. """
Koekepan
As well-insulated as this basement apartment is, the rumble of traffic outside still makes its way through the earth. There's a series of heavy, metallic crunches as a train takes up the slack on its carriages.

Karmakaze might be able to follow up on some of the history of Petsonal Petsonalities, or PoliDemos, through some of her contacts. And, of course, it's not her first time looking over a contract.
pbangarth
Seeing Karmakaze digging into the documentation, Blue makes his excuses and heads to bed. He makes sure she has the door code, and that soykaf etc. are available. Once he has rested and overcome the Drain, he can do a Nutrition spell if necessary.
Bastard
"""Blech""" Karma says under her breath as she takes a swig of soycaf. """Thanks, Blue. Get some sleep. I will read over this contract and see if I don't see anything. Maybe I can find a lawyer to look it over."""
Bastard
As the owl shaman headed for bed, Karma scrolled through her contacts that Blue had painstakingly entered.

First she would contact Bradshaw. She was close with him, so he would be more willing to look into things, and less likely to ask for money which right now, she had very little. As a private eye, Bradshaw may also be the most likely person to know something, or be able to dig out some information.

[CALL TO BRADSHAW]
B: Hello?
K: Hey Bradshaw, it's Karmakaze.
B: Who? Hah- Oh yeah, your shadow-name.
K: I know, I know, but I have serious matters. I am hoping you can help.
B: Are you in trouble?
K: Maybe. And it may or may not be related to the job I am looking into. However, my client is in danger, so it has kind of tied my hands on doing my own investigation, so I was looking for some help.
B: What do you need.
K: Hopefully just some info, and hopefully you have it.
B: Okay. Shoot.
K: What do you know about Petsonal Petsonalities, PoliDemos, and any ties they have to each other?
B: Petsonal? Not much. Small time corp, captures or possibly breeds awakened animals.
PoliDemos is like any other policlub. Starts off with good intention and is gradually taken over by extremists. I have looked into them a couple times for different matters. Over the last couple of years their leadership has changed, bringing in some very hard-edged, power-motivated people who have taken what used to be a sort of coffee club of concerned citizens and turning them into a self-driven local sub-government. Some elements of neighborhood association, some elements of protection racket, some elements of vigilantism. And of course, being activists and extremists, they have the strength of their self-righteous zealots.

K: So pretty much what we expect out of a policlub. Can you get me an idea of their area of influence, and a couple of their unofficial office locations?
B: Sure. I will send them over shortly.
K: One more thing. I am looking over my clients contract, but a lot of it is legalease. Do you have a contract lawyer you can recommend? One who is discrete as required by law, but also discrete because it is professional and good business tactics.
B: I know several, but at the top of my list is Melinda Christel, Esq. She is smart and determined, and being young, very open to new clientele to build a reputation upon. Corporate or otherwise.
K: Thank you.
B: You bet.
K: Laters.
B: Later.

Karmakaze disconnects the call, takes another sip of soycaf. """Disgusting,""" she says aloud.

Next on the list is Badger. A bounty hunter, who probably has had some run ins with some policlub members.

The phone rang only twice before going to voice mail.

"""Dammit, you stupid rodent.""" Karmakaze said as she hung up, not knowing how much of that got recorded.

She sent him a text before she tried to ring him again. <<<Answer your link! It's Karma.>>>

[CALL TO BADGER]
B: Who is this?
His voice was highly suspicious.
K: I told you. It's Karmakaze!
B: Hoi! How am I supposed to know that?
K: Because I just told you. Now stop it. I need some help, and I think you are the man that can help.
B: Well, no doubt, but my help doesn't come free.
His attempt at hard bargaining was betrayed by a tone that Karmakaze could sense smile, that Badger had failed to fully suppress. He had always made subtle hints at interest, but Karma didn't want to waste that card until she really needed it.
K: I know, but let's see what you can do first.
B: Hmm...
He hesitated longer than necessary.
B: Ask your questions, then we will negotiate.
K: What if the information you give is what I already have?
B: I trust your honesty.
His smile was easily heard through the comlink that time.
K: As you should.
Okay. Here it is: What do you know about Petsonal Personalities, PoliDemos, and any ties they have to each other? And I am also looking for a personal reference for any contract lawyers, for personal reasons.

B: Hmmmmmm...
He really dragged the pause out this time, as if he were deep in thought. Maybe he was.
B: Unfortunately I don't know too much about PetPers, except that they are known to buy weird critters...
He sounded disappointed, but if that were because he was not of help to a friend, or because he wasn't earning any points was unknown to Karma.
B: ...but for reasonable prices!
Badger seemed a little more upbeat about that statement, maybe hinting that Karmakaze could perhaps act as a prospective client.
B: As for PoliD, I don't know much about their inner-workings either, but...
He again dragged out his pause in dramatic fashion.
B: They do put out contracts on miscreants and the pay is descent.
+++Was he hoping that was good information?+++
K: That's it?
B: Well, maybe that gives you some info on an angle to approach-
K: I think I know less now than I did before.
Sometimes you have to cut a contact off before they start getting greedy with drek intel.
K: Maybe your recommendation for a contract lawyer is more helpful?
She asked kindly, wanting to take a bit of sting out of the previous statement.
There was a moderate pause, but this time without the "hmmmm".
B: Sorry. That is not my area of expertise.
He did sound sorry, but again, if it was because his lack of help or lack of reward, she did not know. Probably both.
K: That's okay. Maybe next time we can make a profitable exchange.
B: Maybe. Good luck out there, Karmakaze. Stay safe.
K: You, too. Laters.

"""Well, that was less than useless,""" Karmakaze said after disconnecting. Now for the call she really didn't want to make. +++Fraggin' Jaxx.+++ Jaxx was her fixer. Her only real contact to the shadow world.

+++I would rather finish this soycaf than talk to Jaxx,+++ she thought. She did both.

[CALL TO JAXX]
J: What is up, Karmalongadingdong!!!?
+++Jumping Jesus on Jazz!+++ Karmakaze lets out an audible sigh.
K: Can you not do that?
J: Do what, my Kizzy?
K: Frag with my name. It is Karma or Karmakaze. Not any of the other drek you come up with.
J: What's wrong my lil elf-on-da-shelf? Job's goin' okay?
Exasperated, she replied.
K: I have told you not to call me that. Don't ever call any elf that! I cal-
J: Hoi! Don't get upset Karmaz. I'm just tryin' to keep it fun on da run! Hoi! Ya know you're one of faves, Karmawarma!
K: Frag.
She said, admitting defeat. Again.
K: Can I just ask you a few questions?
J: Ask away! I am here to serve. Nothin' I like doin' better than helpin' runnas. When you succeed, I succeed!
He was serious, too. There was no sarcasm in it.
K: What do you know about Petsonal Petsonalities, PoliDemos, and do they -
Jaxx cut her off of course, but she was surprised she got out that much.
J: Hoi Karma!
He sounded alarmed. To use her actual name, he must be.
J: PoliDemos are like the Ancients! But with houses, rounder ears and more money! And even less respect for the sanctity of metahuman life!!!!
+++Did he drop his cityspeak?+++
J: Be careful around dem, Karmakazingding...
+++There it is.+++
J: ... you don't wanna cross no poli.
That was definitely true. He was probably right to be worried.
K: And Petsonal?
J: Oh, dem? Dey deal with a high end clientele, but often low end suppliers because not a lot of nice people wants to go crawling through nameless jungles to capture weird critters for breeding, ya know? However, if ya wanna trained attack cockatrice, or a team of well-behaved barghests to protect your mansion, there's nobody better in the enclave. Fair an' discreet, as far as corps go.
K: Sounds like they're your paid sponsor. They are just as bad as everyone else.
J: Hoi, Karmachameleon! They are, but aren't we all?
+++Jaxx, strangely philosophical?+++
J: But they ain't no poli!
K: That is true. Thanks, Jaxx. Laters.
She cannot disconnect fast enough to avoid hearing another bastardization of her name.
J: Peace, Kamallama!!!

+++I fraggin' hate that guy.+++
Koekepan
Bradshaw is as good as his word, and soon sends over key data. First, a VR business card for Melinda Christel. She has a mailbox office for the usual legal reasons, but does AR and VR consultations as appropriate to the needs of her clients. First consultation free! She specialises in contract and commercial law.

His map of PoliDemos is of necessity a bit more approximate. They don't actually seem to have any office space, but they have a Matrix address. Very 21st century suburbia of them. Anyway, their functional area of control reaches from the Ballard Locks (and slightly south perhaps - the fringes of Queen Anne and probably Magnolia), and north from there through Ballard, Fremont, Green Lake, Shoreline and encroaching on areas such as the University District. There are also shaded areas suggesting some kind of presence around most of Lake Washington, but maybe their control isn't well-established.

He also gives a redacted copy of a dossier suggesting their involvement in violent vigilante action. If half of this is true, they will cheerfully send a strike team after a 'weener and stick their genitalia on a spike.
Bastard
One more call to make, but first Karmakaze needed to take a few deep breaths to wash her mouth out from the taste of the soycaf and the calm her anxiety of her chat with Jaxx.

She dialed the number for Melinda Christel, Esq., provided by Bradshaw.

"""Hello..."""
Bastard
The call goes well. Ms. Christel will take a glance at the contract at no cost, and depending on the work required they can negotiate the price afterwards. Karma sends a digital copy over to the lawyer, then digs into it herself. While taking a deeper dive into the document, it seems poorly written, and the legalease doesn't seem to always be used properly, but overall the contract is one-sided in the way of PoliDemos. They probably have a paralegal in their little policlub.
Koekepan
It actually takes less than an hour before Melinda sends a response to Karmakaze.

<<<This was pretty easy: legally, this is an unenforceable contract. It's technically a contract, but it's void. The reason is that it contains multiple stipulations that are unconscionable terms under the law. It's also quite poorly drafted, with a lot of open questions or unclear definitions.

I do have bad news: this is the kind of thing that we usually see imposed by organised crime, protection rackets, loan sharks and so on. Whoever signed this is probably being intimidated, and the fact that it wouldn't stand up in court possibly won't matter in the face of violent extortion. I would tread very carefully.>>>
pbangarth
+++

It seems as if it has been days. Dull grey room dividers everywhere. No matter which way Blue turns, functionaries turn in swivel chairs to smile at him with too, too wide mouths, lips painted red, outside the lines. Little Mitsuhama logo pins adorn their lapels. All of them have lapels, all on the same outfit, whether male or female.

There are walls, but no doors. Some time ago, in desperation, Blue had reached for the other Powerbolt item in his pocket, but all he drew out were ashes. Ashes the same colour as the room dividers.

The dividers efficiently absorb most sounds, but there is a constant whispering sound, just below Blue's ability to make out words. They look solid, but Blue's hands disappear into them if he leans for support.

And above it all, just within the light (Where does the light come from??), a huge blue and yellow macaw flits back and forth, calling incessantly:

"Awwwrrrk. Awwwrrkk. Polly want drachmas. Polly want drachmas."

+++
Bastard
<<<Thank you. Can we do anything legally on behalf of Petsonal?>>>

Karma passes the information onto Blue when he wakes up.

"""So, the question is: What do you want to do about it? I am for sending this contract to the fraud division of Lone Star, after we get paid of course."""
Koekepan
The response comes through before afternoon.

<<<Legally, there's nothing much to be done unless you're trying to build some case around a charge of extortion. Realistically I would first ask whether the people involved care about the law, and maybe whether they're somehow getting political cover from somewhere. Policlubs usually do.>>>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012