Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Behind the Crown [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Koekepan
The spirit mulls this for a while, and then blandly says: :::Nnnope. Sorry, chief, nothing like that.:::
pbangarth
"""Hmmmpphh.""" Blue fills Karmakaze in on the failed info quest. """ Got any ideas how I might try to dig for something useful? """
Bastard
Karmakaze thinks for a minute, not knowing exactly what Blue has said to this invisible entity.

"""Did you ask about new people coming in? New people in charge? Do the spirits understand money? Maybe they have seen money being paid to people, that are not the workers."""
pbangarth
"""No. I can try that, but such concepts are a little beyond spirits. """

::: This is a place where food is served to those who come in. People who come here to eat trade for the food with something we call money. Sometimes using paper or metal, sometimes using a stick that feels really technical. Have you noticed anyone come who makes that kind of exchange, but not for food? :::
Koekepan
:::Yeah, yeah, of course. Suppliers, of course, and technicians. And the staff, you understand. All the good people doing their good things. Biz is good, you know?:::

The spirit reaches into the space beyond itself, and retrieves utensils. Blue gets a view of the spirit cooking up a batch of eggs benedict, and it smells amazing. If Blue were hungrier, it might have been deeply distracting.
pbangarth
""" Probably because I'm just not good at this kind of research or questioning, I'm not getting anything useful from the spirit. """

Blue fills in Karmakaze on the latest news from the spirit. """ Hmmm. The spirit does mention technicians coming and getting paid. Maybe I can ask what they worked on? And it tells me that 'Biz is good.' Maybe that's a line to follow. """
Bastard
"""It may not be able to help us at all, but it doesn't hurt to keep asking."""
pbangarth
""" OK. """

To the spirit, Blue asks, ::: You said technicians came. Please tell me what they worked on. And, did Biz get a lot better after they did that work? :::

+++ Sure, biz would get better after that spiffy new fryer was installed, or the nice new neon sign, but I gotta fish for something. +++
Koekepan
:::Sure! Techs came. Worked on the fryer. Worked on the lines to the fryer. Worked on the oil tank. What's to tell? Won't say that biz got a lot better though - it was maybe three hours out? A couple of tables substituted, and then it was back to biz, babe.:::

The spirit serves itself two eggs benedict, and sets to with evident pleasure.
pbangarth
""" All right. I think we are barking up the wrong tree with this line of questioning. """ Blue fills in Karmakaze on the latest conversation with the spirit.

"""If there is no evidence of strong-arm tactics being applied, maybe we need to come at this from a different angle. Political action has been intimated. Can we go anywhere with that? """
Bastard
"""It may have been all financing and behind the scenes. I don't think a spirit will see that. Maybe there was a change of staffing? Did new bosses come in?"""
pbangarth
""" Yeah, you did ask earlier about new people in charge. """ He turns back to the spirit. ::: You told me about the boss. Did the person in charge change a while ago? :::

+++ If the spirit takes each question as a service, I'm running out of them quickly here. +++
Koekepan
:::Nope, chief. Boss is same as been for a while. Just as well. Get a bad boss in, you get a bad rep, place gets bought out and Under New Management signs faster than soft-boiled eggs cook, and that's just how this biz runs. Just the other day, was talking about how music needs to be upbeat but low in the mornings for the hungover slots rolling in. That's a sensei who gets his market.:::
pbangarth
::: Oh, yeah? Who was that you were talking to? I'd like to know who is interested in how this biz should run. :::
Koekepan
:::Me? Oh no, no. The manager was talking about it, I was just behind my counter, ears open. Ya sling hash long enough, you hear plenty. This boss is smart.:::
pbangarth
Blue shakes his head. """ I'm getting nowhere, fast. As far as my source is concerned, """ (Notice the cleverness of Blue's choice of words? No listener should know he is communing with a spirit!) """ there has been no external pressure applied to force the situation in this establishment. I don't know where to go next in my questioning of the source. """
Bastard
"""Okay. I think our best bet is a long night of research."""
pbangarth
"""That sounds good. We can go back to my place where we can hide while you do your police work. I'll call up Sweez, the hearth spirit of the building and have a chat with him. I have some ideas about how to relate to spirits, and maybe he would be willing to answer my questions, seeing as we have come to know each other a bit.

"""Speaking of which, I'll give this house spirit one last assignment to perform for the rest of the night. If I leave, it will disappear along with any remaining services it would have, unless I leave it with an ongoing task, in which case it will stay till dawn performing that one."""

Blue reconnects to the spirit. ::: I leave now. Thank you for your honest answers. You have helped me learn some things. For the rest of the night, please stay and protect the staff of this establishment from dangers physical or astral. :::

He rises then, and heads out the door. Once outside, he summons a smaller city spirit to help them on their way. With the hearth spirit left with that last task, Blue can actually call another one out here without disrupting the first spirit. More experienced shamans have likely done this for as long as summoning has been practised, but Blue has had little call to do so before. His life may depend on this 'loophole' sometime.

[ Spoiler ]

A bit fuzzy after the summon, but Blue will rest in the car on the way home. He will have the spirit Guard the car and the two of them.
Koekepan
The trip back to Blue's pad takes about half an hour, and is generally uneventful, if one doesn't count the regular traffic snarls.

pbangarth
On the ride back, Blue recovers in short order, and with a clear mind considers what he has just done. He has two spirits on the go, something he has never done before. One in the restaurant, a hearth domain, and one following along with the car, in the city domain. +++ How far can I push this? +++

Back home, Blue directs Karmakaze to park out back, where their car will be less noticeable. Once at the front door, he knows entering his apartment will change domains. So he communes with the city spirit, with images of firearms in his mind. ::: If people approach this door bearing tools such as you see in my mind, attack them with all your abilities. :::

Now for the next level test. If Blue enters his apartment and summons Sweez, will that constitute 'Domain: Hearth' and send the spirit in the restaurant back to its plane, or is each hearth domain separate? Whether the spirit in the restaurant stays or goes, Blue will have learned something. """ Time for some science in the home, Karmakaze. ""

Blue steps into his apartment, cancelling any extra services from the city spirit. He can still feel the presence in his mind of the two spirits, each performing its appointed task. As Karmakaze settles in for some research, Blue opens to the astral and call his friendly neighbourhood hearth spirit.

[ Spoiler ]

As Blue congratulates himself on summoning once again with no Drain, he feels the coming spirit's presence. He waits to see whether he loses contact with the spirit in the restaurant.
Koekepan
Sweez comes into view, looking about as wild-eyed and under-nourished as ever. Blue's brief tenure in this undersized efficiency apartment does not seem to have been long enough to make a substantial change - either to the location or to Sweez directly. The only factor that is obviously a development is that Sweez is swaying to the thunderous beat from the club, which penetrates (or permeates) the spiritual side of this environment as well.
pbangarth
Blue lets Karmakaze in on a concern that has been drifting around in the back of his head. """ The research we do about the phenomenon in the Fremont district is important. I am worried though, about finding Daisy. Missing person cases, if I am correct, tend to end badly if the missing person is not found within a couple of days. We're there now, I think. Once you have the info you seek now, maybe we should concentrate on finding her. Not to mention the fact that the payoff for finding her is a lot more than that for figuring out the Fremont thing.

""" Yeah, yeah. They could be related. ""

As Karmakaze dives into her research, Blue carries on a conversation with Sweez. It is amazing to him that he has three, count 'em, three spirits in touch with him at the same time. What a revelation.

::: Hi, Sweez. Good to talk to you again. I see the music is moving you as much as it does the crowd upstairs. Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you could come and go as you like, maybe grow in knowledge and power on your own? I think we call that state of being a 'Free Spirit'. That ever catch your fancy? :::

Koekepan
Sweez's spiritual aspect seems to vibrate, and his normally thin face contorts into a shark-like grin of hungry delight. :::Yesss, yes. Yes!:::
pbangarth
Blue is receiving mixed emotional messages from the two entities in his apartment. Sweez is radiating what looks like lust for power, and Karmakaze's aura has hints of confusion and frustration. Blue didn't think his machine was -that- basic!

To Karmakaze he says, """If my equipment doesn't suffice, we can go to your place. I'll just finish with my friend here. It'll just be a few minutes. """

To Sweez, he emotes, ::: It looks like you like the idea. How can I help make that happen for you? ::: In the back of Blue's mind there is a little voice, mumbling something about things going terribly wrong. But did that little voice ever stop the progress of science?
Koekepan
Sweez's aspect in Blue's view seems to flutter, as if conflicting rays of spotlights pass over it in various hues before leaving pitch darkness in their wake, and a voice that now resonates like the boom of an amplified bass says: :::Can you follow me to the metaplanes, Owl's chick?:::
pbangarth
::: Not yet. That is in my plans for the near future though. The cost in my soul energy is high, and I must build that up some more.

::: This is a problem for those of us who can use mana. There is more we want to do than we can afford.

::: So, when I can follow you into the metaplanes, then what? :::
Koekepan
The answer comes as if from within a well, but from the flickering darkness that erases his familiar aspect: :::Then we find the tether, and we sever it.:::

The astral voice tails off into a sort of slavering giggle, and Blue finds himself surrounded by, rather than the immediate astral view of his room, a growing cloud of pinpoint lights and pulsing strobes, and rhythmic throbbing sounds.
pbangarth
Finally, a sense of the forces with which he is playing starts forming in Blue's mind. What could such a being do? One fed for so long on the thrashing, violent, nihilistic music and atmosphere of this place would surely have a personality tainted by that aura. Blue nods and thanks the spirit.

::: Thanks, Sweez. I have much to think about and plan. I don't know how long it will take me to get to the point where I have such ability. I have to leave now. Please stay and protect my place here from intruders. ::: He pictures in his mind himself, Karmakaze and the manager of the establishment. ::: Any others than we three are intruders. :::

Blue turns to his partner. """ Looks like you need your own equipment. Let's go to your place, then. """ He makes sure he has his pistol and magical materials with him.

Out front and inside are spirits ready to protect his home. Not much else he can do for now, should he have been tracked.
Bastard
It has been a few days since Karmakaze had been home. With the threat of Jeremy, his handlers and henchmen managed, there shouldn't be anyone currently hunting her down. It still doesn't hurt to be a little paranoid and over prepared though. She stops the car in front of the duplex and scans the area for anything out of the ordinary before backing the car into the 1 car garage.

"""Are you able to bring forth another spirit to watch over us? The house should be safe. No one knows where I live, but who knows if there is someone stilling following us, or just me."""
Koekepan
Karmakaze's place looks pretty normal, acts the same and smells the same, with a slight predominance of the air freshening compound around given that there hasn't been a parade of delivery food and caffeinated beverages to compete with it all for a few days.

A maintenance report spools in her 'link's display, of which nothing is particularly interesting or concerning. The biggest item is minor moisture intrusion into the roof space; it does this every season, and is always a misread of the greatly increased humidity once the freezing temperatures of winter give way to the steady drizzles and fogs of spring.
pbangarth
Blue replies to Karmakaze, """I can't summon a spirit outside here unless I dump the one sitting outside my place. But given what I have just learned, I think I can summon one inside your place without sending Sweez or the one in the restaurant away. Given what I learned about hermetic mages, if I can transfer their info to shamanic magic, I might not be able to go higher than four at the present time."""

Inside Karmakaze's pad, Blue continues his experimentation. He summons a smaller spirit to help avoid Drain and he doesn't think he has much to ask of it that requires higher intelligence.

[ Spoiler ]

Almost like a hot knife through butter was this summoning. Blue is not yet so cocky as to think he is getting better at this shit.

Once the spirit appears, he charges the spirit with defence of the two of them, as well as Guarding them from accidents. Two services down.
Bastard
"""Thanks, Blue."""

She waits on him to finish the summoning before giving him a tour of the place.

"""Living room, kitchen, obviously, bathroom,""" indicating each by pointing, before actually leading Blue down a short hallway. """Master bedroom there, and here, the office."""

The office has a large desk under the front window. The top is clean and it is decorated as if it came off a set of one of those old noir detective movie. In fact the whole room looks antique, except the second desk, sitting along the adjacent wall to the larger desk, and has a computer monitor and keyboard on it.

"""Now we can get to work."""

Koekepan
The spirit that Blue summons looks rather like a androform drone in a starched uniform. This isn't the first vaguely technological-looking spirit that Blue has seen, but it's a bit unusual. Why might it take that form? That's an open question, but at least the spirit is cooperative.

Karmakaze's setup may look old school, but it has many of the features of a real working space. It's certainly a lot more comfortable for her lanky frame than Blue's apartment, and getting the data dump into her computer is a snap, to get started.

The one thing that occurs to Karmakaze is that there is a clear conceptual connection: Daisy is, or was, a set of eyes for the 'Star. The cameras were sets of eyes for the 'Star. It might not be the same movers and shakers blinding the 'Star, but when connected in space, and in time, and in purpose it's a hell of a coincidence. Find the one, find the other? Perhaps.

It's just a hunch, but it's a justifiable one.
Bastard
Karmakaze starts laying out all the physical data neatly on the large desk so everything can be seen. She plugs in the data stick to her computer and copies all the files to her computer and starts opening all the files.

"""Time to get reading. While I am sure several officers have already poured over this data, sometimes new clues can be found by new eyes. Sometimes a different angle reveals a different picture."""

She signals for Blue to sit with her and look over the data.

"""It doesn't require a detective either. Just someone looking with a different background can help, and I doubt any shaman looked through these files."""

She pulled a large notepad from the drawer along with a few mechanical pencils.

"""We can write all our notes here, including questions we have. Those questions can direct our investigation."""
pbangarth
"Yeah, this is sort of like feeding symptoms into a medkit. Looking for the thing that adds up after all the clues. I'll be the scribe. If anything comes up in French, German or, heh, Ancient Greek, I'm your man."
Koekepan
The evidence comes together to paint a picture of what almost looks like a neighbourhood that is being abandoned by criminals, and is consequently getting back on its feet.

What stands out after hours of poring over evidence while the night creeps across the land and drizzle drips down the gutters, is the void: there is nothing in the statistics that explains what might have cleared the gangs out. No 'Star activities would have culminated in that. No kingpins incarcerated and foot soldiers driven out. And there's no sign of other gangs moving in.

It's just a void in the urban jungle.
pbangarth
Blue is flummoxed. """I don't see any clue here as to what happened. Do you think just asking a few businesses why they got rid of their surveillance system would get something?

"I'm getting worried about Daisy. A few days in, usually disappeared people are goners. """
Bastard
"""Agreed. The sooner we can figure out what is going on, the better, for Daisy's sake. Though at this time I think her fate is sealed. She was either killed within a few hours of her disappearance, or she is being held with no reason for her living status changing until we start getting close or spook the responsible party.

"""Let's divide that list of businesses with security turned off into a couple categories: 1) Chain with location closed; 2) Chain with location still open; 3) Local now closed; 4) Local still open; 5) Other status.

"""The local businesses we should be able to locate the owners and/or general managers contact information pretty easily. The staff list and contact information of the franchises should be easy for a decker to obtain, along with the past and future schedules. We may have better luck with people no longer in the situation if they are feeling threatened by whoever is influencing them to kill security measures.

"""If you can start getting all that together, I am going to make a few calls to some contacts."""
Koekepan
Karmakaze's organised approach makes things pretty simple. Very few businesses in the area actually closed; a couple of probable crime fronts (a local fast food shop with a near-certain side trade in drugs, and a massage parlour that advertised the charms of masseuses and "relaxaction", rather than any particular therapeutic values) and a custom furniture shop which, on close inspection, was a one man studio where the owner retired rather early. Of those, only the furniture shop ever had a link to the policing camera system, and had very limited problems with theft. A credenza is hard to move on the black market, and hard to run off with.

Other than that, business looks good. Not booming; not many new outlets. The major franchises that you'd expect already had a presence in the area, and local businesses that started tended to be of the classy boutique variety rather than three greasy orks spinning spanners.
Bastard
After poring over the data, and sorting the business into categories, it seemed that most were still in business.

"""Well, nothing spectacular, but I didn't expect to find the smoking gun here. Let's send these files off to your decker friend. Get all the employee contact information and schedules for these businesses. The one I want most is this furniture store owner. Retired early, doesn't have a business to risk. He might be willing to share some information.

"""Do you want to contact your decker, or do want me to?"""
pbangarth
"""No problem, I'll send it all over to Billy. I'll do that once we're away from your place and somewhere neutral, after which I can dump the burner. I have to say, I hope Mitsuhama gives up in a day or so as I guessed earlier. This hiding out 24/7 is wearing on me. """
Bastard
After several hours of searching the matrix, cross-referencing files, making a few calls, Karma has come up with almost nothing. She lets out a long sigh, then takes one last sip of lukewarm coffee, before rolling her chair toward the good stuff in a cabinet along the wall.

"""Time to unclear my head,""" Karma states, pulling two plain looking short glasses from within. She opens a drawer from within and collects two rather large ice cubes with some tongs, dropping one into each glass. Next to appear is a clear glass bottle full of a amber-brown liquid, which Blue correctly assumes is some sort of whiskey. She fills each glass and hands one to Blue.

"""You want one?""" She asks, not really giving him the opportunity to decline. For now he at least takes it into his hands.

She reaches back to the desk with her free hand, grabbing the notepad which contains a consolidated list of all the scattered notes on the desk and in their heads.

"""Okay...""" She begins reading from her notes.

"""Here is what we got;

1. Business links to criminal organizations:
    None.
  2. Connections between business contracts, city council discussions, and/or city council members directly:
    Yes, but nothing out of the ordinary, just some shady construction contracts.
  3. Known local criminals cross-referenced with criminal activity reports:
    Nothing substantial, but there is this group called The Students of Justice. A group that started as a bunch of self-righteous college kids that wanted to forcibly redistribute wealth, now they are a bunch of self-righteous gang bangers. I don't see a connection yet, but they do operate in the area. Maybe they are being controlled by someone else, directly or indirectly.
  4. Known local criminals:
    I didn't find anyone I knew operating in the area, but maybe one of our other contacts might know someone we can lean on. Maybe a snitch, or concerned citizen.
  5. The council members ties to criminal activity and/or organizations:
    Didn't find anything major, but a few have been suspect of everything from embezzlement to murder. I have made a separate list of those names that will need additional legwork. Even if it leads to nothing here, there may be some people still interested in justice.
  6. The business and employees ties to criminal activity and/or organizations:
    I didn't find anything major here, outside of a delivery service run by a couple of ex-go-gangers. Almost looks clean, but there is a few things to lead me to believe they may be doing some side business in smuggling. While I don't think this is our culprit, they may be an unwilling participant. Even if they aren't, if they are looking for side money, they may be willing to sell information. We should do more legwork on this crew.
  7. Does Daisy's description match anyone in the police or criminal database:
    I searched all the mugshots and police employee pictures, checked the schedule to see who was missing at the same time for anyone that matches Daisy's description. Didn't turn up anything, but I didn't expect it to. They probably removed any trace of her if from those locations.

"""So, that is about it. Later today we can check out The Students of Justice and this delivery company. I will make some calls after we get some shuteye. I will make a copy of these notes for you to send to your decker, along with all the data my contact gave me."""

After all the reading Karmakaze takes a long drink from her unnamed whiskey.

pbangarth
Blue appreciatively sips the whisky. """Thanks for this drink. it's been a while since I had the freedom to indulge. """ He ponders for a moment as the liquor does its fiery dance down to his stomach.

""" How are we gonna work our team cooperation? I figure much of the kind of investigative work you do has to happen in the daytime, when most people are up. I on the other hand am ... well, I would never say limited, especially in the earshot of Owl, but let's say directed to work much better during the night. My magic still works in the daytime, but achieving success is more difficult than at night.

"""Maybe legwork in the daytime, fireworks at night?"""
Bastard
"""We can start in the afternoons, work into the night. Legwork is always at the convenience of the contact. Some want to meet bright and early, others want to meet at 3 am.

"""I am sure we can reach out to our contacts now, and set up meets or send them our work requests now."""

She takes another healthy gulp from her drink, emptying the glass of liquid, then clears her throat.
pbangarth
"""Alright.""" Blue assembles the list of data requirements for Billy, and prepares to head out. """ I'll need the key to your car so I can get away from here far enough to not draw attention to your place. I'll knock so you can let me in."""

Blue consigns the spirit in here to continue its protection of the occupants. Once Blue leaves, further services will not be available.

Outside, Blue lets the city spirit go. He wants one that can follow and be with him as protection.

[ Spoiler ]

Blue assigns the spirit the tasks of Guarding him and the vehicle and protection of both. Off he goes and finds a nice quiet place, with a nearby garbage can, to message Billy with the request for info as drawn up by Karmakaze, and lets Billy know he will contact him with a new burner in no less that 8 hours, to give Billy time to do his ferreting.

Once the message is sent, Blue heads back towards Karmakaze's place. If he gets there without incident, he assigns the new city spirit to outside guard duty as he did the one before, and then enters.
Koekepan
Blue's little road trip goes off without a hitch. Billy takes on the data without a murmur, even suggesting that for basic data searches he'd do a freebie - later actual decking work would come at the usual price, of course.

In the interim, Karmakaze does actually get a hit on the Matrix, poking around for contact info for the furniture man so that by the time Blue gets back she knows where to reach him. He moved out of the area, but still in the enclave; he lives in Federal Way, a bit south of Seatac but north of Tacoma, pretty close to where Karmakaze has her place. What he does to fill his days now is anybody's guess, but it's probably relaxing.

During Blue's expedition, more headlines filter through.

STAND BY FOR INVESTMENT FLOOD INTO ENCLAVE

NEW MITSU BIOSECURITY OFFICE PLANNED FOR LAKEWOOD

CRYSTAL WINDCHIMES - SACRAMENT OR SACRILEGE?

SALISH COUNCIL DENIES NEW DRAGON IN CENTRAL CASCADES
pbangarth
Blue downloads the news items for the investment flood and the Mitsu biosecurity office into the new burner he activated after he dumped the one with which he contacted Billy into the garbage. When there is a lull in activity, he peruses the Mitsu document.

+++ Working on the run sure does screw with the environment. How many toxic chemicals have I dumped in just the last six days? +++

When he is back to Karmakaze's place, he sets the city spirit to guard the entrance and deal with intruders with weapons.

Inside, he catches up with Karmakaze. He mentions the investment flood news and asks, """ Is the section of town we are investigating called the Enclave? There's a news item about money flooding in to that district. """
Koekepan
The entire UCAS-owned region around Seattle is the enclave; it's the Everett-to-Olympia chunk of land bordering Puget Sound, and surrounded by tribal lands that is hanging on to its previous identity as paleface territory - more or less.

The news item on investment is not an in-depth technical report so much as a puff piece, but it predicts that the development of major technologies by the megas in the Seattle area, combined with its strategically valuable logistical attributes, explain why a number of investment groups are hoping to put incubators in Seattle as opposed to, for example, CalFree. This supposedly correlates with a construction boom in the area.

The Mitsuhama biosecurity office story is a little hazy; supposedly it's an adjunct to their growing biotech operations in the area. However, the exact scope of what will happen in that office is hidden behind the usual wall of official platitudes about operational confidentiality.
pbangarth
Blue reports to Karmakaze that Billy is on the job. Seeing as the two of them are going to compromise on time of day, Blue figures he could try to rest a bit now and be awake later in the morning or early afternoon when they head out for some legwork.

Nevertheless, there is some time to do a little magic at top of form. This being what Blue hopes is the last day of Mitsuhama's hunt for him, he figures, """Whoever is out for my skin might be getting desperate and pulling out all the stops. I think I'll change my appearance some while my mojo is strong with the night. I've looked the same for six days and somebody might have reported my appearance. This is a tough spell and might take a few stabs at it."""

Blue aims for a grey outfit with a black fedora, and lighter hair. Cleaning teeth is always a good idea, of course.

[ Spoiler ]

Well, it looks like Tania's Discount Makeover Shop down the street did the job, but he does look different. It'll do for now. Once things settle down, he's going to have to find a better way.

"""Yeah, I'm going to have to find a better way to do this. I'm having trouble making me look good, rather than just different. """
Bastard
While Blue is out running the documents to the decker, Karma searches the matrix. She doesn't find anything new about the "Students of Justice", nor the identity of the ex-go-ganger delivery service, but she does locate the name, address and cell number for the furniture man.

After she calls her contacts, maybe she will drive out and see this furniture man. She would prefer to have Blue as backup for that meeting. Who knows who is watching.... +++Oh no, Blue's paranoia is contagious.+++
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012