Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Found Arcana – Chapter 6 [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Tecumseh
I put up an IC post with what Mato knows. Teeing it up so that AM and Jawsey can deliver the j'accuse.
Gilga
AM has 9 intuiton and 5 charisma:
Judge intentions: 14d6t5 5

Jack_Spade
Alright, you are almost 100% sure she is lying - and ready to get violent if she is pushed further.
Tecumseh
Oo, oo, I'm going to roll even though my dice pool is lower because I have social software that I've been paying for for this exact purpose and I need to feel that's been worthwhile.

Charisma 4 + Intuition 6 + Social Software 3: 13d6t5 2 hits

Damnit, I could have sucked that badly without a subscription. Thankfully AM is juiced.
Beta
AM already has this, but Jawsey's judge intentions roll:
judge intentions: 13d6t5 4

and since violence hasn't broken out yet, asensing rolls just to be on the safe side: 1st roll is a general check for no astral beings/spells hanging around, the 2nd roll is aura reading on Katya (he'll get to the Duke and Duchess soon, if things stay calm)
asensing: 11d6t5 3 -- I forgot to take off the two dice for dual sensing, so actually 2 successes once I drop the last two dice
aura reading Katya: 13d6t5 3-- I forgot to take off the two dice for dual sensing, but still 3 successes once I drop the last two dice
Tecumseh
The -2 is only for things you're trying to do with your body, like shoot a gun or perform first aid or tie your shoelaces while hanging off the landing skids of a helicopter. See p. 312, emphasis added:

Astrally perceiving while trying to accomplish mundane tasks is very distracting; you take a –2 dice pool penalty to actions on the physical plane.
Gilga
Aha, I keep forgetting about the social software.
Tecumseh
Well I keep remembering it and it still doesn't do me any good, mechanically.
Jack_Spade
The dice are a cruel mistress wink.gif

As you might expect, Katya isn't going to listen to reason - and yes, infatuation is a good description for the impression Mato has from this scene.
Tecumseh
Jack, how tightly do you want to play the initiative passes? Mato's initial thinking isn't so much to stop Katya immediately as it is to contain her. Doing so will take some messages, each which would presumably require an initiative pass. I'll put them up and you can tell me how granular you want to get.

damnit, gilga, save some hits for the rest of us!

Well, I'll post what I was going to post anyway, pending the outcome of AM's monster spellcasting.
Beta
First pass, init rank 13:
- simple action to command spirit
- free action to message Mato
- simple action to message McElroy
Tecumseh
Alternatively, Movement could be applied to Katya to slow her down.
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Apr 23 2021, 10:29 PM) *
Jack, how tightly do you want to play the initiative passes? Mato's initial thinking isn't so much to stop Katya immediately as it is to contain her. Doing so will take some messages, each which would presumably require an initiative pass. I'll put them up and you can tell me how granular you want to get.

damnit, gilga, save some hits for the rest of us!

Well, I'll post what I was going to post anyway, pending the outcome of AM's monster spellcasting.

The two external messages take a simple action each, the two to your colleagues can be handled as free actions. So that would take your whole initiative pass.

Resist: 14d6t5 2
Yeah, not surprising, you have caught Katya.
Tecumseh
Under the weather today. Ate something I shouldn't have. I'll be able to post tomorrow.
Beta
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Apr 24 2021, 04:28 AM) *
Alternatively, Movement could be applied to Katya to slow her down.

I'd completely forgot that was an option! Yes, would have been a better option.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
Jack_Spade
Yeah, get well soon.

Two tipps from your friendly GM: While suspended midair, a target can't evade and disarm is an option for ranged attacks too.
Gilga
@Tec get well.

Anyone has initiative order?
Tecumseh
Alright, back in the saddle.

Really, the first two hours were the worst. I had rolling, stabbing stomach pains that felt like a knife in the intestines. Every five minutes or so I would get 10 seconds of incapacitating pain, followed by a few minutes of normalcy. A very strange come-and-go pattern. Anyway, after that passed I was achy and lightheaded but largely fine. Maybe a bit headachy this morning but I solved that with a lot of coffee.

Returning to the action currently in progress.

Mato's initiative is better than I remembered it. Of course, I probably don't remember it well because I think this is the second time I've ever rolled it.

Initiative: 1d6+14 20

CT1 IP1
Katya: 30 then 20 after Full Defense (fleeing)
Mato: 20 (messaging, in pursuit)
Jawsey's Spirit: 20 (being summoned)
AM: 18 (casting Levitate)
Trouble: 17 (purring)
Jawsey: 13 (summoning)

CT1 IP2
Katya: 10
Mato: 10
Jawsey's Spirit: 10
AM: 8
Trouble: 7
Jawsey: 3

I don't know if the Leadership rules would technically apply in this instance - i.e. whether Mato would recognize AM or Jawsey as a superior, as the book stipulates - but the Rally action could buy Mato a third initiative pass if someone can drum up 2 hits on a Leadership test.

I'm not really sure what is and isn't possible so I'm going to talk through Mato's thinking:
- If Katya were on the ground, he'd use his shock hand. The rules don't cover this, but the "reality" of our situation (Katya floating) is that the charge would go to ground through Mato, meaning he'd take the full brunt of it. Not ideal.
- Shooting a gun anywhere near the Duchess is going to make him nervous. The Walther P118 has gel rounds but Mato would assume that the Walther's Safe Target System would prevent him from firing at a target within 1m of the Duchess.
- His cyber SMG in his arm does have gel and SnS rounds available, but I'm going to be honest that I usually assume it's loaded with APDS or Explosive.
- As such, his default preference - especially given the Duchess' predicament - is for melee.

My default approach here is to use the Subduing rules on p. 195. The backup plan is the Disarm technique from Run & Gun p. 111, but this isn't optimal because it requires the use of a martial art technique which Mato doesn't have so it would cost a point of Edge for the Lucky Move maneuver (R&G p. 126). If these aren't possible for some reason - Katya being too far off the ground, or Mato being too far away - then I'll revisit my options. I'm trying to be cautious with Mato's use of Edge because I think he's down to 2 points (maybe 3 if we recovered one overnight).

Anyway, he's my Subduing attempt, pending Jack's approval of its plausibility. Basic rules are Unarmed Combat vs. Defense, and then you compare Strength + net hits vs. defender's Physical limit. I'm trusting in Mato's troll-like Strength in his arms here. I'm going to roll charging attack (assuming Mato is running) and superior position, but these can be subtracted if they're not appropriate.

Agility 10 + Unarmed Combat 5 + Charging 2 + Superior Position 2: 19d6t5 5 hits

The last 4 dice are misses so subtracting Charging and/or Superior Position doesn't change anything.

So, depending on Katya's defense roll (if any, unsure if Full Defense will benefit her), it will be Strength + net hits vs. her Physical limit. Strength is a bit of a question mark in this case since Mato's limbs differ, but I might suggest 11 as the average of the arms. If we average in the legs as well then it would be Strength 8.

Even if it succeeds, it's relatively easy for Katya to break out of the subdual, but I'm hoping that she at least needs to let go of the Duchess to do so. Then we can settle things the old-fashioned way: with cybernetically-enhanced fisticuffs.
Jack_Spade
The answer to your question depends on how high AM made Katya float.
You can make a disarm attempt in melee with the core disarm in melee ( main difference is that the weapon goes flying instead of you picking it up.

Subduing isn't optimal due to the very high physical limit of Katya (12). Her defense pool is currently zero.
You can use 11 Strength, but you might hurt the Duchess in the process.
Gilga
She lifts her 1 meter or so, not high just high enough not to touch the floor.
Tecumseh
Okay, cool, thanks for the clarification.

Definitely don't want to hurt the Duchess so I'll go for the disarm move from the core rulebook. Picking up the weapon is very distant priority in this case.

I believe that makes it a called shot for -4. If the charging and superior position bonuses apply then I'm still at 5 hits.

If they don't apply, then I'm down to 2 hits on 11 dice. Which maybe doesn't matter if Katya's dice pool is 0.

Katya still has her cyberspur, which is fine. Mato's primary concern is the Duchess; if that means he has to present himself as a target to avoid a "If I can't have her then nobody will" scenario then so be it.

I'll update my post accordingly.
Jack_Spade
Alright, Jawsey and AM are up - Katya is at the moment out of options, although AM can notice that she is using her commlink.
Gilga
Jack, what other rolls are needed to see Katya's last calls?
Jack_Spade
A computer+int matrix perception roll with one simple action
Gilga
Well, not before the next initiative phase.
Initiative #2: 10+1d6 13
Gilga
Well, not before the next initiative phase.
Initiative #2: 10+1d6 13
Jack_Spade
Katya Ini: 18+4d6 37
Tecumseh
Initiative: 1d6+14 17

Mato is at 17, although depending on what his possible actions are I might spend a point to Blitz and add another 4d6. That would get me a third pass at a minimum, and potentially a fourth if I can roll for average.

My question is "what's possible under the circumstances?" If subduing Katya risks hurting the Duchess, is the same true for hitting Katya? If she can't dodge, can Mato just walk around and punch her in the cyberliver, or shoot her in the back? Not very sporting, I grant you, and potentially traumatizing for the Duchess, but we might be past that bridge already. Does she have an obvious commlink that Mato can grab and crush or anything like that?
Jack_Spade
Called shots are possible (Vitals) without much risk.
Though don't expect her to go down easy.
Tecumseh
Well Mato hits pretty hard.

If she's not dodging then Called Shot is definitely a good idea.

A cyberspur would definitely add to the damage and AP but seems unwise under the circumstances. The goal is to subdue Katya, not kill her outright. I'll save the shanking for an emergency.

Agility 10 + Unarmed Combat 5 - Called Shot (Vitals) 4: 11d6t5 4 hits

Base damage from a right hand would be 11P (p. 456 cyberlimb damage always Physical) + 2 DV called shot + net hits. Could be 17P if she can't dodge.
Gilga
Rolls for actions in the IC.
for initiative: Initiative: 10+2d6 16

So Katya at 37
Mato at 17
Trouble at 16 (I'll see what happens with Mato's attack).
AM at 13 (continue hacking).
Jack_Spade
Katya may not be able to dodge, but she can use Counterstrike (Interrupt -7 ini)

Counterstrike: 20d6t5 3
Wow. One net Hit from Mato

So 14 P DV
Soak: 39d6t5 17
Well, that was a no-sell
Tecumseh
Well here I was, staring at the ceiling in bed last night, going through the options of how to deal with Katya. I was going through Run & Gun and was going to solicit opinions on whether called shots to her forearm or shoulder would make her drop the Duchess. The rules aren't clear (as usual) about whether you only need a successful attack test to achieve the stated effects or if the target gets a soak roll to resist them.

If it's within reach, Mato will try to disarm Katya, knocking the rifle away. If it's not within reach then he'll try to shoot it out of her hands. But, in general, he's trying to avoid shooting.

Agility 10 + Unarmed Combat 5 - Called Shot (Disarm) 4: 11d6t5 3 hits

Bonus question: with a soak pool like that, could Katya even kill herself?
Jack_Spade
Decent AP certainly will get through her armor and a burst fire capable high AP weapon like her rifle with called shot bullseye burst will certainly be dangerous.
If you stay out of reach Katya has no defense, if you try to disarm her in melee she can use counterstrike again

Do you want to stay with the melee option?
Tecumseh
Oh, I thought Katya was out of initiative.

And, yes, bullseye burst is where my mind was going late at night. But that was only if she was threatening the Duchess. The Duchess has been through enough trauma; I didn't want to shoot her friend in front of her.

Well Mato doesn't want to risk the counterstrike again, so he'll have to use a gun I suppose. He'll still be trying to disarm Katya.

I'm unsure (OOCly or ICly) if the Walther's Safe Target System would prevent him from firing at Katya. To sidestep that restriction, he can use the cyber SMG in his left arm. The main benefit would be extra dice from his specialization and smartlink; if Katya doesn't have a dodge pool then I'm not sure if there's a secondary benefit from Burst Fire or not. In this context, Semi Auto might be just as efficient.

Leveraging my previous roll (because the attribute and called shot modifiers are the same, and the two skills are also the same rating), we'll add:

Automatics (Specialization) 2 + Smartlink 1: 3d6t5 1

1 extra hit for 4 hits total, if that matters at all.

Base damage is 7P. What it's loaded with is a fair question. In my head it was APDS.

I'll update my IC post with the above.

P.S. Happy Goblinization Day, everybody!

Gilga
Wow, its 2021 already. Still feel the same, so I guess being taller is not in the cards for me. I'd be very old as an orc anyhow.
Jack_Spade
Well, the VITAS outbreak came a bit late and hasn't hit as hard, so we can be thankful for that wink.gif
Tecumseh
Can't IC post tonight but will tomorrow.

Mato will be giving her story the sniff check. Some things don't add up.

Judge Intentions: Charisma 4 + Intuition 6 + Social Software 3: 13d6t5 3 hits

One of the days I'll roll well for Judge Intentions, but not today.
Gilga
If we're being suspicious, AM is likely always suspicious.
Judge intentions + software: 13d6t5 7

Tecumseh
AM is much better at this than Mato is!

QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ May 3 2021, 08:14 AM) *
"But Invictus had to betray me - first to Yakut then to this support courier."

Got a little lost there. Who/What is the 'support courier'?

Edit: Oh, is that a reference to Jawsey? That Jawsey and Invictus were going to do a pact that would betray Katya?
Jack_Spade
Exactly, if you remember, Jawsey offered a pact in exchange for information - and Katya was close by to overhear it.
Tecumseh
Right, I figured that out after thinking about it for a half hour. It took me a while to remember that 'courier' was one of our titles.

Dunno if Perception is needed but here are some rolls:

Base: Intuition 6 + Perception 5: 11d6t5 3 hits

+ Extra Visual dice: Vision Enhancement 3 + Specialization 2: 5d6t5 2 hits
or
+ Extra Audio dice: Audio Enhancement 2 + Specialization 2: 4d6t5 2 hits
or
+ Extra Olfactory dice: Olfactory Boosters 4 + Specialization 2: 6d6t5 3 hits

So 5 hits for vision or hearing, 6 hits for scent. If the ring is hard to find (and, you know, still there), I'm hoping the cyberware scanner (which acts as a millimeter wave detector) will help locate it.
Beta
I'd totally forgotten that Courier was a title as well as a description, sorry!
Gilga
The thing is, I think that Jawsey was astral when he made that meeting - and in that case, how could Katya know about it? (do I remember wrong - or is it not intentional?)
Jack_Spade
Invictus was manifested and spoke out loud to Jawsey. (I assumed that Jawsey likewise manifested to talk to him)
Gilga
I had a feeling that manifesting is just a way to appear visible on the physical plane and would be unnecessary when dealing with an astral entity, but alright.

So Katya saw the conversation and decided to assassinate Invictus (and probably thought she might do that in advance because it took quite preparation).

Beta - if you can ask about McElroy forgetting to unkey the ring from the wards it would be nice - but otherwise, I feel like we sort of have the plot figured out.
Jack_Spade
Invictus was already manifested, waiting for Katya, when Jawsey found him.
She certainly did her research how to kill anyone she considered a threat.
Beta
I've never been clear on how much communication is possible in the astral (in my home game it is all emoting hard and waving your hands (barring spells or mind links to spirits), while other people play it that you can have full on astral communication). Anyway, if Invictus was manifest, Jawsey would have done the same, to seem polite.
Tecumseh
Mato isn't strong on the social skills. Everything is at 1, which limits how many dice he could add from Leadership. I'll add 1 die assuming that AM or Jawsey (or Trouble, why not) do some coaching.

I'll go for Intimidation because I think I can squeeze the most social modifiers out of it.

I'll claim a die for being physically imposing, and a couple more for the shock hand (obvious weapon).

I'm not sure any of the social software applies.

What the hell, I'll Edge to avoid a fight. I think I have one point left after this.

Charisma 4 + Intimidation 1 + Teamwork/Leadership 1 + Physically Imposing 1 + Obvious Weapon 2 + Edge 5: 14d6h5 3 hits

Waa, waa. Precisely 0 hits added by Edge, and nary a 6 to reroll either. Pretty sad stuff.
Gilga
Trouble can manifest, which is obvious magic (I think 2 more dice). 2 dice for obvious magic(?): 2d6t5 1
1 more hit with a six if it helps.

If Trouble is there, then perhaps you can claim more dice because you outnumber him 2 to 1, but this is as far as my memory about social modifiers gets me so I'll let Jack decide.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012