Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Found Arcana - Chapter 7 [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Beta
Jack, just so I'm clear:
- Bobby initially went in high (above where anything was noticing him)
- Did he descend to follow the river, or stay high for that part?
- Once he is over the island, is that when he is descending?
Jack_Spade
Exactly, basically a HALO entry, except that he is flying: once he is above the island, he slowly curves down in a spiral.
Beta
Sorry on the delay. Combining side-effects of 2nd covid shot with mounds of work left me falling asleep before I got to shadowrun over the weekend. Anyway, enough excuses.

- Here is the more detailed island map. I'm treating the tree symbols as where the actual trees are. Note that the deciduous trees are bare at this time of year, but the evergreens are full and bushy (the forest is sparse enough that they are 'christmas trees' rather than sticks with some needles up top like they'd be in a denser forest). The left side of the map is upstream, should that matter. The symbol to the left of building is a large fire pit (not currently in use)

- As said before the sides of the river are steep, although not full on cliffs. They go up 15-20 meters on each side of the river here.

- dumping some dice rolls:
astral perception (-4): 12d6t5 4
astral perception (-4): 12d6t5 4
some dice: 6d6t5 2
More dice: 11d6t5 1

Tecumseh
QUOTE (Beta @ Jul 12 2021, 06:22 PM) *
Tecumseh, ummm, sorry I'm at a bit of a loss of how to keep Mato involved currently.

Mato was going to investigate the possibility of stealing a boat from the Wild Ork Ranch.

Although, before we get that far, is there any obvious landing point/spot for a boat on the Island?

What are the general weather conditions at the moment?

In theory it should be quite snowy, but between the Awakening and global warming I'll accept just about any conditions as far as ground cover is concerned.
Jack_Spade
Where Bobby lands depends on three factors:
1. What does he see in regard to auras around the island
2. Are there windows on the cabin and which side has the door.
3. Are there any other signs of habitation, like boats on shore, recent fire, trash, technical equipment.

Depending on that, Bobby would choose a spot in the second row of trees, from where he can see the entrance.
Beta
I'll update my last IC with more info
Gilga
Trouble would not be very proactive he'll mainly do what Bobby tells him to do, as he trusts Bobby to know what to do in such a situation and is more concerned with Bobby's well-being than with anything else.

OOC I mainly sent him in case Bobby gets into danger for trying to singlehandedly rescue the kid quickly and escape. I figured Trouble would be very useful with movement, or concealment, or something like that, but AM would not micromanage him. She is likely eating some Burrito right now with Mato or driving toward the wild orc rafting.

Tecumseh
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Jul 12 2021, 09:54 PM) *
Mato was going to investigate the possibility of stealing a boat from the Wild Ork Ranch.

Although, before we get that far, is there any obvious landing point/spot for a boat on the Island?

What are the general weather conditions at the moment?

In theory it should be quite snowy, but between the Awakening and global warming I'll accept just about any conditions as far as ground cover is concerned.

Bumping this.

Is there snow on the ground? If so, are there footprints?

Is there any sort of shore on the island (for a boat in this case) or are the steep embankments around the entire perimeter/circumference of the Island?
Beta
@Gilga I think you were suggesting IC that Trouble was staying up high? (Jack's IC was talking about how Trouble would hide if down, but I think Trouble has not come down?)

Today's first dice: 10d6t5 3
Today's second dice: 6d6t5 3
Today's third dice: 12d6t5 4

Gilga
@Beta I was unsure what Bobby wanted of him, if he wants them to be down Trouble would be down. I wrote him down IC.
Jack_Spade
I'm not sure if Trouble could see anything if they stay so high that they can't be seen.

That's why Bobby suggested coming down and hiding in a tree.
Beta
I think today was peak crunch for work, so hopefully getting more responsive after this ... but today just a quick doc.

Bobby finds the building to be short of obvious gaps, almost as if they had taken particular pains to keep rodents out ... but not much is truly rat proof. Perception vs threshold of four or an appropriate knowledge vs threshold of two (to know likely weak spots). He can attack the barrier without a hole (it does show in many places), but I assume he wants to find a hole first?)
Tecumseh
@gilga
Mato is more interested in Matrix overwatch than astral overwatch, but if Trouble can cover both Mato and Bobby simultaneously then go for it.

@Beta
A couple general purpose rolls, mostly because I haven't rolled Stealth in a few Chapters.

Sneaking: Agility 10 + Sneaking 5: 15d6t5 9 hits, hahaha I am the night!

Physical Limit involving the core and/or legs would only be 8, so I probably lose one of those hits.

Alright, so Mato folds himself into the darkness, wrapping it around himself like a comforting blanket. Now, on to Perception:

Base Perception: Intuition 6 + Perception 5: 11d6t5 4 hits
+ Vision: Vision Enhancement 3 + Specialization 2: 5d6t5 3 hits
+ Hearing: Audio Enhancement 2 + Specialization 2: 4d6t5 0 hits
+ Scent: Olfactory Boosters 4 + Specialization 2: 6d6t5 3 hits

Final tally is 7 hits for vision and scent, 4 hits for hearing. He has both low-light vision (from being an ork) and thermographic vision (in his glasses).
Jack_Spade
Perception: 13d6t5 4

Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy

But I stil need to know what force the barrier has:

Anything below or equal to 5 he can squeeze through reliably with his CHA 4 + Magic 7
Between 6 and 8, he can use his Shatter Shield spell, as the barrier only defends with a force x1 roll
Above that, he'll have to hammer through with attack rolls.
Gilga
Rolls for AM matrix overwatch:
Improve intuition, drain: 2#10d6t5 1 1
wow, bad rolls 1 drain, 1 hit. no glitches.
Matrix perception: 14d6t5 4

Roll for Tatanka:
Assensing: 7d6t5 2
Beta
@Jack_Spade I'm going to use Bobby's perception test on finding a hole as also his perception test to avoid being surprised (due to Combat Sense). In other words, roll init on Bobby.

Re: timing: Would people like to retcon the timing so that Mato and AM are getting close to the Wild Orc Ranch as Bobby is doing his thing, rather than an hour or so later?

Rolls:

Friday's dice 1: 4d6t5 1
enemy 1 init: init: 12+2d6 21
enemy 2 init: init: 14+2d6 24

And Jack, did you send an updated link to Bobby at some point? The link that I have in the first post doesn't work (but I'd copied that from the first post of the interlude)

Tecumseh
I can go either way. We were pretty loose on timelines last chapter so that everyone could be involved more-or-less simultaneously at Pike Hall. I think Bobby wanted to get to the scene in advance to make sure that Brent wasn't being actively executed. But if Bobby wants to go solo then I'm not in a good position to stop him.
Jack_Spade
Let's assume, that Bobby waited and watched until the rest of the team got near enough for evac and support. Bobby wanted to move ahead just in case that the kidnappers had noticed the communication and tried to relocate the boy.

As for the current situation, I assume, Bobby has been discovered if we are rolling ini.
The character is here and should be viewable:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/107f...dit?usp=sharing

Since there are two spirits, I assume they are bound and therefore not higher than F6 (Bobby has Knowledge Specialization Spirits in case it's necessary)
Both seem already to be materialized, correct?

In that case I'd activate Elemental Body and charge the Plant Spirit - Bobby is still under the effect of the Movement Power, right?

Shapechange Rat F6: 15d6t5 7
Drain Resist: 7d6t5 3 (Roll from earlier when I transformed into the rat)
B1 A6 R4(7) S -
Bonus to first Ini thanks to SHOOT FIRST, DON'T ASK QUESTION quality
Ini: Ini: 17+5d6 28

28 First Ini Pass: Activate Elemental Body as a Complex Action

Gilga
Since Bobby is the one directing Trouble I'd say it's up to him. AM's instruction was to help Bobby.

Initiative for Trouble:
Astral intitiavie: 10+3d6 19

The first action dematerializes to combat spirits.
Tecumseh
Mato isn't carrying his lockpick stuff or autopicker because they're all Restricted and he wouldn't have brought them to Bellevue.

He'll just try to muscle it open. If he can't break the padlock (which I'm guessing is Structure 8, Armor 12, like a security door) then he'll try to break the door itself.

He gets to roll an unresisted attack:

Attack: Agility 10 + Unarmed Combat 5: 15d6t5 3 hits, pretty pathetic, must have used all the hits on the Sneaking test

Base damage is 12P (not using the cyberspur to start), so that stages it up to 15P. He needs to do 8 boxes to break the lock. The lock will resist with 20, so if the lock gets 8 or more hits then it won't work.

Damage resist: Structure 8 + Armor 12: 20d6t5 6 hits

That leaves the lock with 9P, which is more than its Structure 8 so it snaps. And, if it doesn't, whatever is attaching it to the door should instead.
Gilga
The fun stuff is that he does no noise unless the spell is resisted wink.gif
Gilga
Beta. I am confused about the timeline. Trouble cannot make a conversation (with a very interesting spirit) during combat, does the big spirit keeps following him as he tries to struggle with the spirits attacking Bobby?
He has an initiative of 19 - first action dematerialize, second astral combat.
So at initiative 9 2nd phase, he'll charge one of the spirits, he cannot really talk much while doing so.
Astral combat: 10d6t5 4
Jack_Spade
If the spirit tries to dispell, it has to contend with
Dispell resist: 13d6t5 3

But even if Bobby turns back that won't stop the elemental body - Adept Powers can't be dispelled

Btw did I miss the spirits' rolls somewhere?
Beta
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Jul 19 2021, 08:42 AM) *
Btw did I miss the spirits' rolls somewhere?

Apparently my OOC post didn't go through frown.gif When I get a bit of time on I'll get on my laptop and dig the rolls out of orokos and re-post them. ( And darn it I think I had something in the doc post besides rolls but I don't recall now what.)

===============================

OK, finally on the right computer, time for the dice dump that should have posted last night.

Plant Spirit, F6, optional power confusion and noxious breath
* it is just magical guard to try and remove Bobby's spell
dispell: 12d6t5 5

Water spirit F6, optional powers
* It has movement and binding (upon being touched, a bit like energy aura) activated before it came out of the water
* Trying for a touch attack on Bobby (+2, ties go the attacker) A bit challenging for a roughly equine shaped spirit vs. a squirrel, but spirits are remarkably flexible (if there are optional rules somewhere for size modifying attack or dodge I'm open to applying them, but I don't think there was anything like that in the CRB or Run and Gun. Somewhere else maybe?)
touch attack (binding): 15d6t5 5
Jack_Spade
Still missing the Ini, but I can roll that for you:

Plant: Ini: 12+2d6 20
Water: Ini: 14+2d6 20

Well, at least they are consistent

The Plant Spirit succeeds to remove the spell on Bobby - luckily by that time he is already out from under the hut and in close quarters with the spirit

Bobby uses counterstrike to the touch attack of the spirit:
Counterstrike: 16d6t5 7
Neat - beats the spirit by 2 successes and reverses the attack for 2 net successes - spirit now faces 16 P(e) magical damage - resisted only by body
Soak: 6d6t5 2
14 damage - enough to discorporate it - unless you have it spend Edge (or rather that of its conjurer)

New Phase:

Bobby is at 11, Spirits at 10
Bobby tries to hit the plant spirit before it can do stupid things to him.
Strike: 13d6t5 7

I'll leave the plant spirits defense to you (Full Defense?), but I'm willing to spend edge to go above and beyond if necessary.
The Plant spirit will also have to deal with 14 P(e) magical damage + Net successes.

Beta
I missed bridging names as more info came into the open, sorry. , sorry "enemy 1" and " enemy 2" init that I posted on the 17th were the spirits (why I had them rolling attacks before Bobby). But as a consequence for not explaining that the plant spirit will use Jack's roll for init.

Also I did a double take on the damage, again -- in my home game we house ruled energy aura to damage=magic so long ago that I keep forgetting the official version. I would have made these initial defenses stronger and smarter if I'd remembered.

Actual IC and dice rolls later tonight.

==================

(later tonight)

A quick note that the dispelling should have only lowered Bobby's spell by 2 force, and he cast it stronger than that, so it shouldn't have knocked him out of squirrel form.

dodge: 12d6t5 5
soak: 8d6t5 4
The plant spirit rolled well, but not well enough.

Jack_Spade
Ah now I see. Sorry, I somehow totally missed making the connection to those rolls. Still, doesn't really matter since Bobby beat their ini and they got their attacks in the first phase.

@ Elemental aura
Why would you nerf those? Adepts pay drain through the nose for using them while spirits get them for free - and by extension their conjurers as well.
I wouldn't consider using that technique if I hadn't access to the Mastery, that makes the drain more manageable.

Also I strongly recommend not to adapt the difficulty curve in either direction to cater to the players abilities. The story makes most sense if the antagonists have set up what they expected and not what the GM expected (if that makes sense)
Don't worry about us having fun or being challenged (mentally or otherwise wink.gif ). Dealing with a consistent world is good enough. For everything else there is Edge.
Jack_Spade
Boost Body: 8d6t5 2
Boost Agi: 8d6t5 4
Shape change F7: 15d6t5 5

B10(12) R7(10) A6(10) S10
Drain resist: 17d6t5 9

1 Stun drain from elemental aura

I won't roll for opening the hut from the side, but unless it's a concrete bunker 14 P AP-1 should get me in.

Barrier: F3 shatter shield
Shatter shield f3: 18d6t5 6
f6 barrier: 6d6t5 5
Resisted
Out of patience, brute force
Critical strike: 20d6t5 8
f6 barrier: 12d6t5 4
18 P is enough to break the barrier

4 complex action to get in - or about 3 seconds to traumatize Brent
Tecumseh
Jack, I wouldn't hold spirits up as the model of balance. Nor would I encourage an arms race just because spirits can do xyz. Spirits have been strong for a long time but they got really ridiculous in the transition between 3E and 4E, which carried over into 5E. I love the Awakened and almost all of my non-Mato PCs are magical, but even I think they need to be reeled in.
Jack_Spade
Agreed - but I don't think you'll achieve that by nerfing adepts...
Gilga
My two cents about this debate is that not in all the games I played elemental aura bypassed "immunity to normal weapons" of spirits. In some games, it was treated as indirect combat spells which means the damage is fire or electricity and not magic. You get the awesome secondary effect of the element but spirits roll much more dice (and some auto successes to resist) which would make them fight harder.

Jack_Spade
Nope, critical strike is explicit for bypassing immunity - and elemental body is an extension to that.

I'm not sure why you think spirits are too weak. They are a near inexhaustible ressource with enormous offensive and defensive capabilities.
Their only weakness is magic damage.
Reducing the things that can hurt them isn't particularly conductive for game balance.

Gilga
Oh did not know that about the elemental body. I think spirits are very fine and I am fascinated of how Bobby resolves the manner.
Tecumseh
The island is about 110 meters long, per the scale of the island map. Using that and comparing it to the little island on the aerial map, I did some crude geometry and calculated that it would be about 5 kilometers on the river between the Wild Ork Ranch and the target island.

A fast river (which would make sense if this is a section used for exciting rafting) would flow at about 3 meters per second. Not sure how winter affects that. Even if Mato speeds that up with paddling, we're probably looking at him being 15-20 minutes away.

But that's being hyper-realistic. If Beta wants to overrule that for the sake of the narrative, that's fine too.
Beta
Sorry, I was brain-dead from work when I mentioned about the nerf -- I was somehow conflating Bobby with the possession-mage in my home game who often uses energy aura (damage of 2x magic the same in both cases). Sorry I babbled on about that.

And sorry I'm going to be another day without posting. Had a second thing sprung on me with work so all week so far has been work all evening until words lose their meaning, brush teeth, go to bed. No way I'm going to properly deal with the situation on the island appropriately as well as balance AM and Mato in the state I'm in tonight (witness, see the first paragraph when I tried to write things in this state on Monday). I'm really sorry, I'd not anticipated this degree of crunch when I volunteered to run this section. I _think_ tomorrow gets better, but then again I thought today was going to be better.
Beta
More of me messing up when tired -- Mato should have also found kayaks in the storage shed, besides rafts. Possibly easier to handle on his own? Anyway, he's in a raft, I won't penalize for it being unwieldy when he should have have a better option.

I'm not quite sure of Mato's timing vs Bobby's. For sure Mato is not getting there mid-combat for Bobby, as Bobby headed in quickly (and then things escalated fast). But I'd say Mato is likely to be there in time to deal with medium term aftermath (not quite in the 'give first aid to the wounded' time frame, but maybe by the time anyone has inflated a raft for example). How he rolls on a few obstacles on the way could influence that.

===============================================

Jack: a couple of questions about Bobby's various spells and boosts, to make sure I understand. (Bobby is not a simple character, and while I made the time to try to understand all that he is doing here I still ended up with some questions, and as it approaching midnight I'm giving up figuring out on my own and just asking. (Perhaps I'm still loopy from work and missing obvious things, please forgive me if I'm asking silly questions).

-I'm guessing it is cast the shapechange spell (deal with the sustaining penalty with heightened concern), then activate the two attribute boosts (so active for 4 and 8 turns)
-just curious what tricks Bobby has that resulted in 17 drain dice? (you find all the cool options I'd never considered!).
- And I doubt there is much risk of not soaking it but technically I think he has to soak drain for the shattershield? (2x drain for barehanded adept, but cast at F3 and drain of F-3, so 2x0=0, so only the minimum of 2 drain -- as I said I'm not worried about the dice, I'm worried I don't understand something about his magic that would skip drain entirely?)
- Did you find stats for the kodiak bear somewhere? (Howling shadows has a more generic bear, with I think lower stats --agility is four so boosted max would be 8, for example, so I'm guessing you are using a different base)
- what is the fetish for his shapechange spell? I vaguely recall him having a harness for it, but is it actually something that could adapt to both an owl and a kodiak bear? (or I guess the owl could have carried the fetish/harness in its talons? Perhaps this is part of why he didn't get there so much earlier, letting the car bring that close after he'd scouted, so as not to carry it for as long?). I guess what I'm wondering is if he is carrying/wearing it as a bear, or if he has had to briefly drop it and will have to return to it when next casting the spell?

And to explain about what is happening in the IC: A pair of spy-eyes that had been concealed have approached Bobby. One is loaded with a flash-pak, Due to his combat sense he is almost surely not surprised so could attack it (because he is close to the building it has to come in close), he could shut his eyes, or accept the -4 penalty on visuals. the second one self-destructs near him as part of triggering a gas grenade. As this is not an immediate danger to Bobby his danger sense doesn't warn him of that beforehand, but will alert him when the gas becomes a danger.

Meanwhile, some other dice roll:
dice 1: 12d6t5 2
edge edge dice 1: 10d6t5 3
dice 2: 14d6t5 4
dice 3: 12d6t5 4
Tecumseh
Mato is bringing a raft as a possible exfiltration option for Brent. He wouldn't have taken a kayak since those are generally for one passenger. A canoe might have been viable, but it sounds like this stretch of the river is too wild for a canoe. So an inflatable raft it is.

Athletics is a 6E skill (and a 5E skill group) so that's Beta's other game showing there. That said, Mato's Athletics skills are really only at 1 so a -2 penalty is effectively the same as just defaulting. No big deal; those are the consequences of stealing a boat.

First up, Agility + Pilot Watercraft (3): Agility 10 - Defaulting 1: 9d6t5 1 hit, glitch!! hahaha, that sucks

Only a 1% chance of glitching but I managed to do it. Alright, I'll spend a point of Edge to negate the glitch so that I don't get thrown from the boat. Mato has 5 out of 6 Edge remaining. But that still does 2 boxes of damage to the boat and delays the trip by 60 seconds.

Given Mato's incompetence at Pilot Watercraft, I'll skip the second roll and go for a soak roll instead. If I'm not mistaken, this might be my first soak roll in 7 chapters.

Soaking 6S: Body 5 + Chasseur Field Uniform 13 + Longcoat 3 + Cyberlimb Armor 10: 31d6t5 4 hits, hahahahahahaha

Strangely, almost the exact same odds of that result (0.90% for the glitch and 0.93% to roll 4 hits or fewer on 31 dice.)

Alright, Mato's pride is on the line here so I'm going to spend a point of Edge to reroll failure. Let's see if I can get 2 hits on 27 dice.

Edge reroll: Edge reroll: 27d6t5 14 hits, I can! Hurray! hahaha what the fraggity frag frag Orokos

Mato has 4 Edge remaining. The boat now has 3 boxes of damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobby's drain pool is changing with his Body score from shapechange. As a rat, it was 7 dice. Now, as a bear, it's more.

I'm pretty sure we're just using the Bear stats from Howling Shadows, because the damage to the wall ties out to the Str+3 DV that's listed for a bear.

The question of Agility in bear-form is interesting. Without parsing things precisely, I'm guessing the Agility 6 (10) comes from Boost Agi (4 hits) plus a couple hits from the Shapechange spell. Although if the bear's base BARS is 9/4/5/8 then that's potentially +1 Body, +2 Agility, +2 Reaction, and +2 Strength, which sums up to 7 instead of the 5 hits from the spellcasting test. Not sure if I missed something there.

From there, there are the adept Attribute Boosts. Although it is fair to wonder whether the +4 maximum should apply to 1) the bear's base stats or 2) the bear's shapechanged stats (with the extra attribute points from the spellcasting test). It's a fair question and one I hadn't considered. It depends on what you consider the "base" stat to be. (The exact wording, from the Street Grimoire errata - which could be parsed to support either explanation - is: "“The caster may increase any base critter Physical Attribute one point for each net hit scored.”.)

If I remember correctly, the fetish is a pouch that's on an elastic band that can expand/contract as Bobby changes shape. That said, I do think we need to guidelines around this one. I think it's a little extreme to expect that an elastic band could in fairly quick succession 1) attach to an owl, 2) fit around a mouse, 3) stay on Bobby's metahuman self, and then 4) remain attached to a giant bear. I think that's pressing the explanation pretty hard, even for future tech. I could imagine going from #3 to #4, especially if it's around his neck, but I'm struggling to imagine #1 to #2 while keeping control of the fetish, or #2 to #3 without breaking the elastic (which is fine for the moment, as Bobby could just pick it up, but then negates the explanation for how he would still have it under his control after changing into a bear.)

Not trying to dogpile on Jack, but the fetish is a significant benefit and thus its presence requires a plausible explanation.
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (Beta @ Jul 23 2021, 05:05 AM) *
Jack: a couple of questions about Bobby's various spells and boosts, to make sure I understand. (Bobby is not a simple character, and while I made the time to try to understand all that he is doing here I still ended up with some questions, and as it approaching midnight I'm giving up figuring out on my own and just asking. (Perhaps I'm still loopy from work and missing obvious things, please forgive me if I'm asking silly questions).

-I'm guessing it is cast the shapechange spell (deal with the sustaining penalty with heightened concern), then activate the two attribute boosts (so active for 4 and 8 turns)
-just curious what tricks Bobby has that resulted in 17 drain dice? (you find all the cool options I'd never considered!).
- And I doubt there is much risk of not soaking it but technically I think he has to soak drain for the shattershield? (2x drain for barehanded adept, but cast at F3 and drain of F-3, so 2x0=0, so only the minimum of 2 drain -- as I said I'm not worried about the dice, I'm worried I don't understand something about his magic that would skip drain entirely?)
- Did you find stats for the kodiak bear somewhere? (Howling shadows has a more generic bear, with I think lower stats --agility is four so boosted max would be 8, for example, so I'm guessing you are using a different base)
- what is the fetish for his shapechange spell? I vaguely recall him having a harness for it, but is it actually something that could adapt to both an owl and a kodiak bear? (or I guess the owl could have carried the fetish/harness in its talons? Perhaps this is part of why he didn't get there so much earlier, letting the car bring that close after he'd scouted, so as not to carry it for as long?). I guess what I'm wondering is if he is carrying/wearing it as a bear, or if he has had to briefly drop it and will have to return to it when next casting the spell?

And to explain about what is happening in the IC: A pair of spy-eyes that had been concealed have approached Bobby. One is loaded with a flash-pak, Due to his combat sense he is almost surely not surprised so could attack it (because he is close to the building it has to come in close), he could shut his eyes, or accept the -4 penalty on visuals. the second one self-destructs near him as part of triggering a gas grenade. As this is not an immediate danger to Bobby his danger sense doesn't warn him of that beforehand, but will alert him when the gas becomes a danger.

1) Correct - except that the Attribute boosts go up first, so I can benefit from the drain bonus dice
2) Mainly, changing into a larger form with higher body gives me a larger Adept drain resistance pool.
3) No, I extrapolated from Wikipedia which bear would fit best to what I had on hand through my five successes. I'm of the opinion, that the distributed successes aren't enhancement but are used to customize the animal you are turning into. After all, the books are always limited on how many species they can depict, but a great cat can be anything between a cheetah and a tiger. Getting anywhere close to the real deal, you are almost forced to exceed the +4 limit (Just because there aren't official stats for some animals doesn't prevent me from turning into them - it would just be a hassle for the GM to come up with the stats. Taking the option of just customizing the generic templates with successes is a much easier solution all around imho)
4) My fetish is a single kolibri feather on an elastic string. A Feather Token, so to speak. And yes, he is, just around his front upper arm.

I might have misread the bears stats though (had to write the last couple posts on my phone during toilet breaks - yeah it was that kind of work week) In that case let's just drop the AGI down to 4(cool.gif and call it a day
Same reason why my soak rolls weren't there - I rolled them on Orokos, but copying them on a touch screen and making sure everyone of those rolls is there and in order is a real pain.

Jack_Spade
Edit:

For the attacks. Are those drones within striking distance? Can I use an interrupt action to jump away from the explosion and gas cloud? Otherwise, I might have just to power through and take the hit - which means my original action stands, bringing down the barrier, before I can be affected by the drones. (Is there any wind out here? I'd imagine at night with a quick flowing river on each side in the rain, gas won't linger around much)
Beta
Thanks Jack -- all makes sense. I was just trying to understand it all enough that I wouldn't be making mistaken assumptions. And I'd forgottent hat adept soak was body based, so yah, shape-changing into a big fragging bear kind of takes care of itself, nice!

The drone that his danger sense warns him about is flying right in his face (since he's so close to the building, it is the only way to get the flashpak in front of him). He could certainly attack it, and with an interrupt it would be before it goes off. The other one will be a bit lower and will stay a few meters up-wind (enough to put him solidly in its cloud when it pops). There is only a light wind, but between that and the rain the gas will certainly not last for long. Not perfect conditions for using gas, but even NPC sometimes don't have quite the right gear for the situation).

=====================

Gilga: Bobby hasn't dropped the barrier just yet -- the flying eye drones interfere just before he takes it down; Jack has to decide whether to drop the barrier or deal with the drones first. However Trouble can potentially see through the barrier: asensing at -6 should let it figure out what is on the other side.

Also note that the matrix noise to reach the island is still awful -- there is no matrix around the island still, so it would still require going through a satellite uplink and through the anonymizer (at least that route is live again). The noise at the cabin should be a lot lower now that other matrix devices have come on-line, however, but it iat least -5 for going through the uplink, plus whatever noise she'd face reaching a satellite uplink (there is likely one at the ranch, only 1 point of noise away, but she'd need to hack her way into using it)
Beta
When posted my Ic on Saturday I accidentally put most of it in the spoiler tags, I fixed that earlier today (Sunday) which is to say if it looked really short and you didn't look under the spoiler tag, take another look now.

Bobby and Trouble are going to initiative time. The ward pops back at the end of each combat turn, so up to you whether you want the existing rolls to happen at end of the last turn or start of the next one, but I would think that taking it down at the start of turn would be more useful.

NPC Initiative rolls:
A
B
C
Jack_Spade
Drain resist: 17d6t5 6
I'm ending the electric body at the end of the round, taking one stun drain
Ini: 16+4d6 29

First attack is the barrier at 29

What does the gas do? Is holding breath doing anything?
Otherwise, here is a resistance roll
Resistance Body+Willpower: 17d6t5 5
Edge: 12d6t5 5
Total of 10 successes in case I'm dealing with Seven7 or something.
Gilga
For Trouble:
Initiative: 10+3d6 21

Tecumseh
Is there a Threshold on Mato's Agility/Reaction test (to stay out of the water)?

Agility 10 - Defaulting 1: 9d6t5 2 hits

Still underperforming. I may use Edge if necessary.
Tecumseh
double post
Beta

My update with rolls last night didn't go through, nor my mention of that earlier today. Hopefully I don't screw this one up

Inits A-D
https://orokos.com/roll/904124 18
https://orokos.com/roll/904125 12
https://orokos.com/roll/904126 17
https://orokos.com/roll/904127 24

drone defense vs Bobby https://orokos.com/roll/904128 3

Barrier soak v.s. Trouble
https://orokos.com/roll/904130 4

Tecumseh, the biggest thing has been not to glitch -- so far so good! At 2 successes he has a raft half full of water with all the joys that brings.

≠========

Finally caught up on what didn't post last night. I'm aiming for a morning EDT post tomorrow, too late to be finding pc stats and gas details tonight.

ETA: so much for trying to post rolls from my phone, editing to show the actual numbers
Beta
Full init order:
Bobby 29
Fire Spirit 24
Trouble 21
Orc Street Sam 18 (rolled 7 on 3d6 on his init test)
'C' 17 (rolled 6 on 3d6 on init test, sigh)
'D' 12

29: Bobby drops the barrier
24: Fire spirit uses fear on Bobby
Fear on Bobby: 14d6t5 6

21: Trouble
Jack_Spade
Good news and bad news:
Bobby resisted the CS gas completely (I'll attribute that to the rain)
And Bobby completely freaked at the Fear attack Resist Fear: 8d6t5 1

That means, Bobby is out for the next five rounds. And since he is still under the movement power, he moves with 8x6x6 m/round = 1440m before he can stop. As a bear he has no particular trouble with the cold stream, though I don't know if he can climb out on the other side (rolling a gymnastics check for that: Climbing: 16d6t5 3)

Tecumseh
Fear could be a blessing in disguise, namely to prevent Bobby from 1) being riddled with bullets, 2) immolated with fire, or 3) both.

Trouble could potentially drop Movement on Bobby so that he doesn't get so far away during his flight.

I don't think Mato is arriving any time soon, especially with his poor rolls that added an extra minute or two to his already lengthy journey. That could provide an opportunity to regroup. Of course, the situation may have evolved by then.
Jack_Spade
It certainly smoothes out the timeline until Mato arrives.
The problem is more that we are facing an F7 fire spirit. Those are fragging dangerous - close combat is right out unless you fancy taking 14P AP -7 fire damage.
And 14 points of hardened armor aren't going away without some really heavy caliber. Unless Mato still carries some of the blight rounds, we are in a bind here. Our best chance is to find the summoner and kill him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012