Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deeper into the Matrix [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Gilga
Hi, I'd like to start so Volker, Thanee please post your characters. I'll try to pick off few months after when we (sadly) ended with Jack's game. A team of runners is laying low for a relatively long duration considering the consequences of the last run (which I'll leave vague to keep the imagination of how it should have ended - but feel free to add some information).
Thanee
Nova

Equipment inside the Simulation

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
bnc

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
How is the matrix situation? Does it work properly here? Are there any good reasons not to spend twelve hours a day online, while the interface suppresses the feeling of coldness?
Also, what about James. Are the Benedictians fine with him?
Gilga
Yes, they were fine with James - even interested. They like technology. The matrix situation right now is a bit spotty - no reason not to be online all the time, but it is not very enjoyable as there are many momentarily disconnects, lag, and other things with no real mechanical effect - but it would make most entertainment in the matrix very frustrating.
Thanee
Does Nova know anything about that package? Does she expect something to be delivered?

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
She expects some necessities to be able to disappear like new SINs, and documents but these are mostly digital assets. While some of these may be physical objects so a package is not unreasonable, she would not expect it right now.
Volker
bnc doesn't have Matrix Games as a knowledge skill. She does have Matrix Legends, however. If that is somehow fitting, please tell me at which DP penalty I could roll on this skill.
Gilga
Just roll it and I'll adjust the threshold accordingly, can you briefly explain what is "Matrix legends" knowledge?
Volker
bnc has an interest in special, occult or otherwise untangible matrix phenomena, like true AIs, UV hosts and such. Things, scientists cannot yet proof or are not well understood.

Matrix Legends: 13d6t5 5
Gilga
The name Dark Fox 32 does not ring a bell, but a short matrix search reveals him to be a minor celebrity arguing for ultra-realistic matrix simulations "It is not important how realistic the simulation is, we use it for entertainment and can get out whenever we want. We need a whole new degree of realism to allow people to completely live inside virtual worlds solving many of the social problems we now face".

He was associated with the "Virtual Realism" community project aimed at forming an entire virtual world, allowing people to move into a fully virtualized world for life. The idea was to financed by crowdsourcing, but it remained illegal through most of the project, and it never got real, but some theories have it that Dark Fox 32 (and many others) just quietly moved into the project, and continued to live their real-life with a form of autopilot to sustain their bodies and make a living while they truly live in another world.
Volker
What. A. Post.
Volker
We received a lot of money from Muhme, but we never got to know how much as Jack quit mid-run. Could we assume that the costs for the hideout and for the clinic we bring Anna to roughly cancels out the earnings from Muhme? That way, we wouldn't need to estimate how much was what and just proceed with what our characters had at the moment when we dropped the thread.
Gilga
It can work, the risk of that plan is that you'll get moving and possibly attract unwanted attention to yourself for the very events that got you paid handsomely.

Volker
How far away would be a suitable beta clinic?
Does anyone remember where "our" delta clinic is stationed? It might prove difficult to move Anna from the Czech republic.
Thanee
Somewhere in germany, I think? Berlin maybe? Not entirely sure. Nova has been there, already, so she definitely does know where it is. biggrin.gif

Other than that, Nova has a trusted Street Doc in Munich, who might know more about beta clinic locations. Every big city should have one or even a few of those.

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
I don't so feel free to place it, Berlin is alright with me.
Volker
How global is that storm?
Gilga
Central north Europe, but the fovea is only over Prague and the situation is not identical in the entire city.
Thanee
@Volker: Nova is currently wearing a business suit from Zoé. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Are you guys waiting on me? you seem quiet.
Volker
Oh no biggrin.gif
I thought I had posted already and was waiting for new messages. My bad!
Thanee
QUOTE (Volker @ Sep 30 2021, 08:56 PM) *
With (hopefully) a little help from Nova who seemed to know a lot more about fashion than bnc ...

Nova actually has a skill for that "Fashion & Style 3". smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Volker
Ah, that's awesome! bnc will go like "here, take my creds and get it done with". She'll just wear whatever Nova picks for her.
Thanee
Flying dog? Wasn't Doberman a wheeled drone? wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Thanee perception roll for Nova, and possibly tracking roll if she wants to figure out who walked to the fence.
Thanee
Perception 10 hits (Mental Limit is 8)
Tracking 1 hit

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Not bad.
Volker
Are the drones slaved to the host?
Gilga
Yes
Gilga
I'll just post the messages you got out of the link so that you have easy reference.
QUOTE (Gilga @ Sep 5 2021, 11:10 PM) *
bnc discovers three audio files on the comlink, as well as fake documents granting access to the site, and some information that can be used for being more convincing at entering the site. There is also a list of four Seader-corp owned beta cliniques in Europe, mostly in Germany but one in Hungary.

Message 1:

"So you have reached the data center good. I've taken liberties to grant you access, but only to the surface site. Your cover is data-security inspectors for Lavamind, which is a small-time gaming company. You come to inspect that their service is hosted according to protocol.
And they would inspect your SINs. If you come when the power surges, the check is more likely to be superficial. There is plenty of power, but the surface site has only access to the local grid, which is a mess. Enter the site, follow the tour, make some serious faces, and connect this comlink to terminal 430. It would run diagnostics and activate a backdoor. It would allow you to access the simulation site.

Head to this location when done <coordinates attached>

The location in question is about 1km from the site. It is a natural cave.

Message 2:

"Good, now that you have access to the underground site, the natural cave. There is no security, and your electronic credentials are good. Inside the cave, there is a wall of vegetation. Walk past it. Then continue walking and allow yourself to go over the cliff. It is not real. Walk until you feel a metal wall and vocally order it "Ground Floor", these assholes are giving us all a scare when we enter this shit with their magic tricks.

Once you give the word, the elevator would come to take you, it may be disguised as some natural object, but it is an elevator. Mages just got creative. The Ground floor requested from the ground floor leads you to my floor - ground zero floor. It is a modern-day Noach's arc aimed at preserving the world's computing, manufacturing, and agricultural's skills in the face of a possible catastrophe.

I'll wait for you there, it is a large building, and anyone seeing you there would know you do not belong there. Lucky for you, security is a bit lax not to draw attention. The guard in question would be distracted, so just quickly get past him to the conference room where I'll meet you. I'll have all the equipment necessary to disguise you and move you to the simulation rooms.

Good luck."

Message 3
The third message "If you hear this message, then I could not meet you, likely something bad has happened to me. Logging into Realism would be extremely dangerous, and you will have nobody to guide you. I was hoping you could get out safely and get your friend as far away as you can from this place. Find her a good doctor and a beta-level hospital. They'll have the equipment to fix her. I know a few hospitals, but I am not sure how you will convince them to serve you.

Being likely dead or worse, this is up to you. So sorry for dying at my prime and leaving you in all this mess. Hope you survive it.

DarkFox 32"

From analyzing the message you understand that DarkFox should transmit some code to the link to activate it. You cannot tell what the code is, but if you'll see it you can recognize it. (or more realistically bnc would write a small program to recognize it. ).

Thanee
Thank you! smile.gif

Ok, so, the woman is probably there to give us the tour, but does not expect for anyone to actually come during that weather.

And we need to find terminal 430.

Also, whoever is here as well does not seem to belong to DarkFox 32.

Bye
Thanee
Volker
Are there any cameras or other sensors bnc will need to take care of? With a mark on the host, I have direct connection to them and should be able to figure out where they are.
Gilga
Many cameras, movement sensors, and so forth. What do you want to accomplish? You are likely already on camera as I'd imagine the entire building has sensors.
You are visible, however - if bnc inspects carefully, however, she'll discover that none of the cameras is recording anything thanks to the other decker.
Thanee
Does bnc want to make any more preparations? Otherwise, Nova can just open the door now, I believe. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Volker
All right. Just for good measure, she'd randomnly check two or three other sensors (motion sensors, laser beams) to double-check whether the other decker did his work right. If she's content, she'll leave it at that and stay behind Nova.

btw, sorry for delaying so long: I was on holidays for the whole week and didn't spend a lot of time behind my laptop. I'm back in the country again smile.gif
Volker
QUOTE ("gilga")
At the same time, Nova could see a new text from an unrecognized number it reads "Meow Meow... Curiosity kills the cat - be quick."

How'd she receive that? Was it a matrix message? To her private commlink?
Did bnc get it, too?
Gilga
Normal matrix message from a comlink she has not met before. She can respond normally or even save its details for later.

Nope only Nova - for a matter of fact they never even saw bnc there due to running silent.
Volker
All right. Then bnc will, obviously, also not react to it. Thanks for clarification!
Thanee
ignoring the fact that she, as well, only enters through a drone, just like Nova said they wouldn't

Not entirely sure I got what you refer to here. wobble.gif

Bye
Thanee
Volker
QUOTE ("Thanee")
Why are we supposed to bring this commlink here, when he literally just went there with this drone?"
Thanee
The "just like Nova said they wouldn't" part still makes no sense to me. biggrin.gif

What I meant with that part you quoted is, that Nova assumed our mysterious friend (darkfox was it?) is controlling that drone. She wonders why that drone couldn't just have brought the commlink here, instead of us. After what it sent bnc now, I don't think so, anymore (but Nova does not know that text, yet). It is someone else, obviously, who just stole some data from this place. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
What about the keycard Nova has from the woman?

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
QUOTE (Thanee @ Nov 17 2021, 06:19 PM) *
What about the keycard Nova has from the woman?

Bye
Thanee

It opens the elevator and some of the floors require additional security. The place you need is low security as it is part of the tour. The stairs, do not limit where you can go and are higher security in peace time but likely open if there is a fire or the elevator malfunctions.

Thanee
Nova could also circumvent it manually. She does have Locksmith with Maglock specialization.

With the extended tests involved, that would take about 20 seconds or so (depending on the lock's Rating, of course).

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
No problem in using the locksmith skill to disable the lock on the door. The retinal/scan and keycard are just the key - it is a lock like other locks.
Thanee
Yeah, according to the book, it seems the right skill for the job. smile.gif

Alright, let's just do it then...

Bye
Thanee
Volker
Ugh, sorry. Helluva week. I don't know if you get any Austrian news but it's hell over here. Hospitals pile their corpses on the corridors because they don't know where else to put them anymore. Infected people beyond 70 are just left to die, because we don't have the resources to support them.

From tomorrow on, however, I'll have plenty of time to post because another lockdown will start.

Gilga
@Volker Wow this is insane! Stay safe.
Thanee
Yeah, that sounds really bad.

Bye
Thanee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012