Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deeper into the Matrix [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Gilga
@bnc
bnc exits the car in the dark and cold rain, trying not to stumble on anything. She has the vision augmentations to see in the dark, but the atmosphere is about as foreboding as it gets. The unfamiliar weather patterns and shades of purple with little theory about what is possible make everything appear more sinister. Yet, it only takes her a few steps to connect the dots, there are numerous silently running devices in the cave, and the woods are not very difficult to discover. Improvised cheap junk as the good stuff is very expensive, and these use audiovisual effects in a very creative manner. Perhaps there once was a spell that does everything better with mind-bending supernatural effects - but no magic is possible in the current climate, so the hackers did what they could with what they had. It is less intimidating now, but she still feels wet and vulnerable. The guards give her no second thoughts, but the elevator arrives empty to the ground floor and the doors open as if awaiting her.

@Nova and James

Dark Fox introduces himself simply as Fox; he relaxes a bit once the two aliens are in the room. "Yes, I did. I figured you would help us - our entire higher management is unresponsive. The magic void is an inside job, but it is impossible to say who. We are coders, art designers, tech people; military operations are not something we ever did. So when a group of masked professionals takes control of mission control and unleashes the weapon on an entire city, I needed someone to call - but I don't know many soldiers or secret-ops kind of people. The closest thing, were the three Jane does hiding at the monastery. At first, I was suspicious that you were part of the bad guys, perhaps reinforcements. Then I learned that your friend is one of the victims and I decided to make a wager. I am amazed that you are actually here, I did not expect much - honestly, I did not know what to expect. I had never done anything like this before. "

He tells Nova, "You see, everyone here is in deep simulation. Our minds are split, our higher functions are inside the simulation, and we follow a script to keep our bodies healthy. Once the horrors arrive, this would be the only way to keep large groups of people alive. The methods used by the dragons previously do not scale up. They can keep hundreds, perhaps thousands of people but not millions. We still can't do millions, but we are working on increasing the capacity.

The basic idea is a combination of magic and technology that allows us to hide within our minds. If we can keep unaware of the horrors, and control the stimuli of our bodies then we'll be immune to their effects and if we can envelop ourselves with low mana levels that do not allow them to approach our facility there is nothing they'll be able to do about it. The little buggers need to remove mana as quickly as it flows to the facility from the outside environment. I knew vaguely that we had this capability, but the details are lost on me. It is not my area of expertise, it should have been safe to test a few decades from now when mana levels increase enough. With the current mana levels - it is a very dangerous weapon. The effect is slow, but we need to shut it off. "

He sighs "Simulation is not like the matrix, we are vaguely aware of what is going on in the outside world. If something pleasant happens, we feel happy, or if something sad happens, we feel it. It feels less real than the simulation, like a dream or a mirage. I stopped my own simulation, we have exit points it is the only way to get outside. I kept no records of your existence aside from your credentials, so you do not yet exist in the system. You see, all these people are not fully conscious, but some of them are not who they appear to be. Every one of these beautiful people may be a psychopath willing to murder ten percent of Prague just to achieve some unknown objective. It freaks me out how everyone is so peaceful here when they did such a thing on the inside. It feels like business as usual out here, but many people are taken hostage, some are interrogated. Yet, they were careful enough to keep this place looking completely at peace."

"I am not sure if they have eyes on the ground side, none of us should be awake for extended periods of time. Yet, I try to make sure as few people see you as possible just in case. I need you guys to figure out how to stop them inside the simulation; the first objective is to shut down the weapon, which is why you'll need me, but exposing them would also help in the aftershock.
I have uniforms and rooms for you, and you solved our challenge, which means that the system would accept you as Realism. I'll appreciate if you can give me my old link back by the way." he winks, the real challenge would likely have been to figure out the breadcrumb trail without inside help from the comlink.

He then continues "I'd suggest keeping your bodies confined to your room locked. Use the drone for physical protection, and I'll add some of my own. "

At that point, he excuses himself out and moves very nervously to the elevator, trying to get bnc to the room as quickly as he possibly can.
"How much of that speech do I need to say again?" he asks with a hint of hesitation in his voice.
Volker
"What bulldrek is that? Are you telling me that these are all zombies, their bodies scrubbing toilets without them actually knowing they're cleaning someone's shit who shat it on autopilot himself? While there mind is free to roam the vast multiverse of code you created and then got ripped from your claws by a Big Dragon?
Do I understand correctly that you expect us to give you our body to do the same crap as they do? I guess, we'd need implants for that. You can hardly program someone's brain on such a deep level without invasive headware, can you?

And then what? If you know that some of these bastards wiping the floor so pleasantly are kidnappers and whatnot, why just geek them off right now? I mean, we have their bodies, don't we? You got to know at least some of them."

James tries little to hide his confusion. Or his anger about it.

When bnc enters, she waves a hand, holding his commlink.
"Tough protections. Though you really shouldn't have challenged, had you really not wanted me to rip it."
In answer to his question, she smirks. "Just focus on the confusing parts and enlighten me on how you pulled off the mind-splitting thingy."
Gilga
Fox grinned at the Bulldrek comment "Finding freedom within our own mind, we tried to do it with technology but the results were hazardous. It required very invasive operations and while it worked - it was unhealthy to the point where it would not work as a long-term solution. You just cannot hard-wire your body to operate as a drone for extended periods of time without your nervous system degenerating. Execs kept these findings secret to keep the money going while they worked on a solution. This is how the dragon got involved, you see Schwartzkopf is sort of a philosopher. The dude teaches at university and studies magic, and we consulted him about ways to keep the body healthy and prevent nervous system degeneration.

The bastard used the confidential information to take control of the company. He blackmailed the execs into selling him everything -and then he got obsessed. So it is difficult to stomach working for a dragon, but the dragon did have some good ideas. He claims that there is a vicious cycle where we have an increasing population causing increasing magic levels, and when the magic levels become high enough then parasitic aliens invade us and basically murder everyone. The dragons evade this fate somehow, and some of the immortal elves also did - but nobody else. After they reduce the population to very low numbers, the mana sphere collapses, and the aliens leave.

Now, Schwartzkopf wanted to save several million people so that when we start again we will retain most of our technology. This then implies that thousands of years from now when the aliens come again - humanity would be ready to fight them - and end the cycle. Honestly, I don't know about this stuff - and since I already learned that dragons do not play by our rules I take his explanations with a grain of salt. I mean, I find it a bit of a stretch that a dragon plans for thousands of years just to empower humanity with the ability to save the world, but also to get rid of the dragon kind. Now the thing is, he wanted our simulation to last for generations which means people need to procreate. So anything technology-based would be very difficult to manufacture in large quantities when the entire world is hostile.

His solution was very interesting actually, he developed a form of detection magic that allows us to focus the vast majority of our attention on virtual reality while still having enough attention to our senses and to this world. It extends our awareness to two different realms at once, so these people are not zombies. They know they are cleaning toilets, or running, or whatever. The thing is, this knowledge remains very superficial kind of like how you perceive augmented reality. If they concentrate they understand what's going on in this world. They just don't feel like this world is real, which makes working out at the gym or cleaning the toilets easier. Dreaming about working out is more common than actually working out.

The simulation feels real - and this world feels like a game or a dream. Now, the thing is relying on magic requires this facility to be quite big so that it can sustain its own autonomous mana sphere, and the location was also carefully selected to be on a major dragon line to keep mana levels higher. Basically, the dragon used some tricks to get a functioning manasphere in here even when all hell breaks loose on the surface. It should keep the ritual running until magic levels drop really low and in that case, the magic would collapse and everyone would wake up to this depressing world and would need to adjust. Lucky for them, the aliens would be gone by then and they can repopulate the entire planet or whatever. Look, this is arcana beyond my understanding, if we survive this you should ask him. He'll give you a two hours lecture with so much passion in his voice that you would hate to interrupt him and leave.

Now, your suggestion of beating the crap out of people in this world may work but there are plenty of people to interrogate or murder. Aside from the fact that this is amoral and cold-blooded, they are SINners and many of them are very rich. Not to mention that this facility is the pet project of Schwartzkopf which is a great dragon, don't let the university job fool you. So, trying not to get myself killed I was hoping to come up with a solution where only the bad guys are harmed, and I hope that the base would remain intact and that Schwartzkopf would understand the drastic measures I had to take to resolve this issue. "

Fox grins and speaks in some sarcastic yet somewhat serious manner.

"The good news is that you do not need to surrender your body to me or to anyone else. Your body is your own, and would still be your own. The entire base is enchanted with detection magic which means that you are already half a Buddha. You may have not noticed it, but you can now stop feeling the pain of existence in this world, most practitioners take a lifetime of meditation to achieve even that. You can then use your new spiritual ability to ascend into a higher plane of existence and be miserable there. Our simulation has become somewhat morbid once the dragon has repurposed it for the" he says cynically "survival of the human race. I mean, my life work was reduced to simulating real hang-overs, bad sex, and health problems. Very far from the experiences, I was coding before the dragon."
Thanee
Nova listens to everything, and she is not sure whether these people are insane or not. It sounds crazy enough. But when magic is involved, things usually end up that way in her experience.

"To be honest, this is all very confusing. What is it exactly, that you want from us?"
Gilga
"It is, it is..."

"Don't listen to all my crap, I am trying to describe a lifelong project within a single briefing, and some of the recent happenings are mind-bending for me as well. The mission is simple to understand.

Inside the simulation, we have the mission control site. Inside mission control, we have a terminal for controlling the defense barrier. I need you to gain control of mission control and get me in front of that terminal. There are like a dozen people with guns controlling the terminal, and they keep most of the workers as hostages. I barely got out of there myself, this is the primary objective because we need to stop the FAB from killing your friend and many more.

A secondary priority but very important if you can do it, is to disable the attackers, so that I can get this facility back to normal, or at least rescue the chief scientist because he knows stuff, and would know how to find the attacker's identities in the physical world. He is the only powerful magic practitioner we have - and he would have the means to find out the bad guys without harming the rest. "
Thanee
"Alright. And how will this be for us? What is it like in there? Is it like being some avatar, like in the Matrix? You said, we still have our skills, but what else? What about cyber augmentations, for example? How about combat drugs? And how will we be able to get equipment in there? I really don't know what to expect here. What can we do to prepare?"
Gilga
" It is a colony, mimicking life after the horrors. Nature took over the remains of society, and we gradually build-up a colony. Your augmentations would come with you, but not your equipment. I can bend the rules and create this equipment, but our equipment would be deleted within hours as these actions are illegal. So our first concern would be to get gear. "

The hardships of this world weigh on bnc as they usually do, and her cravings for chemical comforts remain the same. The effect is subtle, but she has to admit that she feels a bit more relaxed and focused. Yet, bnc is uncertain if it is due to the magic Fox mentioned, or simply because the storm makes everyone nervous, and the underground facility seems to be outside of the effects of the storm.
Thanee
"Ok, that is at least some good news. How long would it take for you to 'create' equipment? Could this be used on the spot, if we end up in a tight situation, for example? The gear not being around long won't matter too much, if it is there, when we really need it. Maybe you can prepare something, so it will be faster, when we need it? But I agree, that we shoud at least procure some 'permanent' equipment, if that is doable."
Volker
QUOTE (Thanee @ Dec 13 2021, 10:53 PM) *
"To be honest, this is all very confusing. What is it exactly, that you want from us?"

bnc laughs a delighted, spontaneous laughter. Here I stand, trying to wrap my head around arcana that concerns a milennias old fight between otherworldly horrors and Great Dragons in a couple o' minutes. And there she stand, all 'All right, who do I have to punch?'. Hilarious!

Still grinning - Sheesh - grinning. Well, it does feel wonderful... - bnc decides to drop the topic. She's got the gist, but at this point he might just tell her any fairy tale and would be at least a believeable as this. She hates to admit it even to herself but she can't judge whether he is sincere and sane. She doubts it's both of them.

"All right. I hear your story. Can you prove at least some of this? Like, can one of us go into the simulation, take a look around, leave, and tell the other everything's all right? You know, I'd love to trust you and, honestly, I don't even believe you're lying to me. But a) I'm not a believer, so the only thing I believe in, are facts and proofs, and b) I'm actually more worried that you're a lunatic than a genius liar. Still, I'm not willing to give over my mess of a body to you to make me a toilet-clearner zombie or sell it to some perv or whatever. I don't know what's going on around here but if you want my coop, I need some more than dungeons and dragons tales."

"Also, if I were to enter this, would the simulation copy this worthless bag of bones over there or could it copy me? If I'm stuck forever in some virtual Dragon's fanfiction, I'd be rather stuck forever with a good dick rather than poor boobs. Deck's built in my head - that is, the drone's - if that's worth anything."
Gilga
Fox says to Nova, "I can instantly use them, and you have like two minutes before they are gone. It would help if you were far away from the weapons or other equipment when deleted because there is a real physical risk. He seems to justify some terrifying measures when the goal is as epic as saving the world. I'll help you get real supplies no worries about it; I planned to only break the rules in emergencies. I have prepared a variety of firearms, sniper rifles, assault rifles, pistols, and even an assault cannon and a Law rocket. Stealth suits, grenades, and gas grenades to disable people. Spy drones for intel gathering, ballistic shield in case things get terrible, and perhaps my most complex work is a single exit node to make sure that you can get back safely even if you cannot reclaim a legal exit node. If there is something specific you desire I can probably script it within a day. I basically allowed my imagination to go wild based on my computer game experience."

When bnc gets skeptical Fox shrugs a bit, perhaps a hint of annoyance but then he continues perfectly balanced again"You are a visionary in just building the body you want it, sadly our scanner can only take your boobs. It is brilliant really - and I think that in a better timing I can perhaps help you pilot your drone differently. Matrix simulations are a bit dated, and some of these safety mechanisms can be bent a little for people like you.

Your body would still be no good, but hacking abilities are like magic inside. They allow you to change the world a bit, but there are consequences. If you break the rules of physics you have a few seconds before the security system would try to kill you, but if you can get away with changing small things. Keep to being very subtle about it and you will be safe. Don't try to turn yourself into superman and fly above town for example. " He sighs

"Not sure if you get the frustration of being part of the team developing the most amazing simulation technology, and still not being able to play superman in your own simulation."
Volker
bnc appears to be disappointed. You gotta be kiddin' me. I spent thousands and tends of thousands of nuyen to get rid of my body, invested hours and hours and hours of training, and then, when I finally escape the boundaries of my body ... I fall back to its properties. If there's a case of Ajla*, that's it.

She sighs. "There nothing you can do? Sheesh.
So, how's that magic work. I guess, I won't have a console in there or so. Also, you skipped my other question. I'm afraid, I must insist"

* Aj la = Ironie of life, Austrian youth slang (which she hardly uses anymore, now that she's 21).
Thanee
"What she says is a good point, though. Is there any way for a 'test run'? Just her, I suppose, since she isn't much of a threat in the physical world, but with me guarding, that's a bit of a different thing. We are operating fully on the basis of trust here. Some reassuring would go a long way."
Gilga
Fox replies to Nova "You can use the scripted exit for a test run, but in that case, we won't have a panic button in case things go poorly. I will understand if you do."

He replies to bnc "We are making a transaction between two willing participants. I did not force you to come here, and I did not even haggle with you on the price. I risk most of my wealth to guarantee payment for you taking a huge risk. I showed you I have the means to pay you and explained why I am likely to follow through. I was not born rich, I spent a lifetime of hard work and dedication to acquire this wealth, and I am tossing it away to you to save a person dear to me.

I warned you about your friend that she would not get better but worse. Without understanding the cause of her problem, most doctors would assume that she would get better. I would let you know one more thing to establish trust. Put it bluntly, you do not have to help me to save your friend. My way is the fastest way but there is more than one way to heal her. Yet, seeing you here in the room asking your questions and being very worried makes it impossible for me to treat it abstractly. You are people like me, and your desires are as important as mine. You deserve my honesty, and this is the most useful information I can give you right now. "

He pauses, and it takes him a moment to speak. "Very advanced augmentation clinics can help your friend, our FAB is very similar to their nanites so anywhere Beta grade or above has the equipment to identify all the bacterias in her body. They have the means to deactivate them but they'll need to get past the security mechanism. It would take a while - but talented people would figure it out eventually with the right context. So it may be expensive and difficult but you can heal her without getting involved in the affairs of dragons. I only planned to tell you these things if something happened to me because I wanted you to help out. I can give you a list of clinics that can do it. I did some research - I planned to use the same path for my friend if I could not save everyone."

He seats, and looks at the cookies but is unable to eat them. He looks like he would rather fast forward the situation to see if he needs to try a desperate rescue on his own or if you would help him. He holds his coffee but cannot bring himself to sip it, yet the warmth of the glass seems to be something nice to feel. He avoids eye contact, and seems distant, drained, and defeated.
Thanee
"Just so I understand. Right now, there is no regular way to exit this 'simulation'? They are all guarded or made unavailable? Then we should not waste the one way out you prepared..."
Gilga
Fox says "Yes, just one. " he says.
Thanee
"Then we should prepare as good as we can, which means you telling us a lot more of what we can expect. Will we only have one try, or can we do this in multiple steps? Like, could we secure equipment, then free one of the exits, and then make the next run against the main target? Or will we ruin our element of surprise, which I assume we have currently, if we are not doing it all in one sweep?"
Volker
bnc runs her hand through a her in that distinctly bnc-ish manner Nova recognizes in the meanwhile, even if she stopped shaping her hair into an iro.

"Ah, you see, there's the problem. You see, I have two narratives that are equally plausible:
Narrative a) says you are both the hero and my mom's favorite son-in-law. You do all this to preserve the world because you love dandelions or baby squirrels or humankind. Yadda yadda, you tell us all about how we could save Anna from bullocks you haphazardly created in the first place because you just want to see everyone happy and you hope we do the same and we all sing kumbaya after we cleaned your drek.
There's a narrative b), too, however. That says, you're full of bullshit. You make up a story too weird to prove false or wrong. You try to persuade us by giving us info you already know we had. I told you I ripped apart that 'link and heard your messages. It sounds fuzzy and warm but at the end of the day you have given us nothing but stories."

bnc sighs, every bit as tired and drained as Fox.

"You don't get 21 if you believe every bullshit you're being told. Not in the shadows. Und there's this biiiiig warning sign flashing "Never Deal With A Dragon". "Never" as in "not ever". No sane shadowrunner does. That is, no one survived and stayed sane. It's ... it's a no-go, no-do.
Drek."

She leans against the wall, slowly sliding on the ground where she remains seated in a slumped heap of weariness.

"You see, I want to believe you. You seem earnest. Believing you is even to most logical thing to do, as I don't have any better explanation as to why there's this stuff all around. But in order to get entangled into fucking Schwartzkopf himself, you need to do better, chummer. I went to length escaping Lofwyr's grip. I ...
Shoot, I can't take it anymore. Chum, please tell me it's not a matter of hours, because I need a time-out. Now."
Gilga
Fox looks at Nova and asks "is she always like that?". He sighs and Looks at Nova " I think we should be very simple and very quick, we get equipment, we gain control on the facility, and then turn off the shield. Once we did, I think we'll have reinforcements because all of our decision-makers are awakened, and they are likely disabled by this shield. Once I made contact, I think they'll be able to help us. Right now I am not sure even whom to contact.

When bnc speaks her mind, He takes a deep breath and tries to explain his position to her. "Look, bnc I do not wish to compel you to do anything you do not want to do. I am a software designer soon to turn fifty. I spent my life designing software and was docile enough to continue what I did after my workplace was taken over by a dragon. I am by no means brave, or adventurous. I have no experience with shadow runners, and I made my commitment to a certain path once I contacted you. Since then I helped you commit numerous crimes that are enough to lock me up for an extended period. I am pretty much screwed and my hope for redemption is if we stop people from dying, and thus no dead people no investigation, and the secret project remains a secret.

You will need to try and clear your mind and reach a decision and this decision has plenty of uncertainty despite my best efforts. I do not mean to pressure you but I think that there is a window and it is closing making the entire job more dangerous the more you delay. First, I am uncertain how long before people start dying as there is no documented precedents of an event like that. Second, by this time our adversary has likely begun to count all the people and verify that they are all there. I assume, they'll figure up that one of the two thousand is missing, and then make some verification counting to figure out who is missing. Take more time, they'll know that I made contact with the outside world and I assume they'll do something to react to it. I think that our best shot is while they are still not sure that the takeover was not entirely successful. "
Thanee
Nova just shrugs.

"What can you tell us about the dozen or so armed people that are our main obstacle here, at least as far as I understand it? How well-trained are they? Do you have any information about them?"

"Also, I am assuming, once we attack them, the 'adversary' as you call it will know that there is something wrong with their plan, and probably try to intervene?"
Gilga
Fox responds, "I don't know too much, but I know some things. I know that they are equipped with pistols and pitch-black armor covering their entire body. I am almost certain that they are insiders because their efficiency over the base meant that they had solid intel and knew precisely where everything was.

Another thing is they knew exactly when to attack us for maximum effect. All our defense is wiped out. Spirits disrupted, they selected a rare moment where there is no overseer in here. So we lost contact with all Schwartzkopf's trustees. They are intimidating people, look human but are not quite human - educated like dragons from birth and with impressive magical powers. We should have had one of these around at all times, but when they executed the attack, the overseer was in the cave and not inside the facility as protocol demands. He is now very sick, worse than your Anna.

So the execution was flawless. The one thing they did not consider was the secrets that I kept to myself. Old programs I used before the dragon took over to play god in the simulation and impress my friends, and when the dragon took over, I could never bring myself to delete them. It feels like every piece of data in our server was visible.

They have some weaknesses though, to the best of my knowledge none of them was augmented or did things that are outside of the norm. Nobody moved faster than normal or showed superb reflexes. For this reason, I figured that if we carry scripted heavy weapons we have a serious chance. I mean, we did not develop weapons for war in the simulation - there is nobody else to fight. There is wildlife, so there are weapons but nothing like the scripts I have for you. So I thought that all things considered success is possible because we'll have better weapons and armor when it matters.
Thanee
"You mentioned magical powers. Does magic work in there? And if so, what should we expect from them? Any detail helps so we are not caught unaware when it comes to it."
Volker
bnc shoots a glance at Nova. If we die in there, you will remember a last second you should not have dismissed me so easily, slitch.

While the others kept continuing their conversation as if bnc simply hadn't said anything, the girl sighs to herself, feeling the weight of the decision crushing her. She just recently got her sister back. She was no coward, but ... She didn't want to lose that precious time now they were reunited, just for ... for maybe saving the fragging entire world? Shit, I wanted to be a pirate to do some good but I never meant to actually stand in the first line.

She crams in her pocket, sliding out a thin silvery patch. While she undoes the protective stripe, she says, half to herself and half to Nova: "You are either the most hopeless of heroines or the dumbest of all bitches I ever met, likely both."
She then turns her head to Fox, while slapping the patch on her neck, releasing a stream of relieve through her system.
"Now, I'm not asking you a second time how I can manipulate our surroundings with my deck. If you don't won't that self-righteous cunt over there to geek us both, you better give me a thorough explanation while I shut up and listen."
bnc closes her eyes, leaning against the wall, and stops engaging in the conversation.
Gilga
Fox says to bnc "Every object is essentially an icon, if you get past its firewall you can edit its properties, I don't know make the gun very hot, or even displace it to a nearby location for example you can make it appear in your hand, rather than in their hand. In addition, you should be able to hack technological devices and manipulate them as usual there is no option for being 'offline' so if you are capable enough you can basically do anything.

If you have a premade object script then you can replace one object with another. This is how I planned to equip us in case we really need it. For example, a door can be made into an exit node or a pen can be made into a rocket launcher. Here the closer the change in dimensions and physical properties the less likely the AI would catch up to that imminently. So you can turn a piece of log into a rocket launcher and perhaps get away with it until you use it. If you turn a coin into body armor it is a big change and would be noticed very quickly. The AI's algorithmics seeks big inconsistencies, and small glitches are sadly unavoidable. No simulation is perfect even without smartasses like us changing the rules. The security AI is tasked with making sure everyone obeys the rules, it makes no judgment on the content of the simulation. I don't think we are equipped to deal with an angry AI, so we'll need to escape once the AI decides that we broke too many rules or we would be isolated which is likely game over for us. So think twice before breaking the rules, and try to use the minimal change that gets the job done. If you are lucky, your change would be masked by the normal glitches of the system."

He appears a bit more alive now that he feels you are leaning toward taking the job.
Volker
bnc listens quietly. After he has finished, opposite to what she announced, she does not shut up, but asks "So, will I have my deck with me? Or will I be able to access it through my real body? Do both AR and VR work?"

Her voice is relaxed and slow, obviously an effect of the patch she just slapped against her neck. Yet, curiosity shines through. Again, opposite to her words, she is intrigued.
Gilga
Fox explains "If it is implemented in your body it would be part of your avatar along with all its capabilities, but your physical deck would not be in use. The simulation uses our own equipment, and it is not exactly matrix, you are engaged in a deeper manner than you do in the matrix. There is the equivalent of AR and VR, but they are not the same. You are always in the simulation until you exit, consequences are always real. The only way to get out is through an exit node, but you are not helpless in this world. Your body follows your routines without your complete awareness.

Now you live in two worlds in parallel, in AR your awareness is here and the simulation is abstracted away from you. In VR your awareness is in the simulation and this world is abstracted away. If you try to engage in a meaningful conversation with someone in here, they would need to switch to AR to endorse you otherwise they'll be able to wave or say good morning or something very simple. With experience, they manage to keep their bodies fit, and do complicated things without being completely aware. It takes time, and time we do not have so you would likely remain in the room to reduce danger.

Earlier you spoke with harsh words about being helpless in here, you would not be you can use your body and your drone and even your cyberdeck in here as you desire. So I cannot really do the nasty to your body. Danger-wise we will be able to deal with an event here and an event in the simulation but if both happen at the same time then we have a problem. Does that make sense to you?"
Volker
"Not a bit but I get your point. My deck's not headware anymore. I moved it into James head. With surgery, we could move it back into mine, however, the slot's still there. But you made it sound as if that would not accomplish much. So I can't access my own programs, codes, routines, anything, right, but you have something like your own user interface and gear which I'd be using and if I'm quick enough to figure out how this drek all works, I might just conjure a banana before the AI eats me. Is that correct?"

She still looks weary, or relaxed, or both, her voice is low if audible, and slow, too.
Gilga
Fox replies "So no Deck sorry, we did not give many thoughts to transhumanists when we designed the scanner, most of us are very lightly augmented. Datajacks, sometimes control rigs. I'll let you use one of my decks, you can configure them similar to your own. The mainframe you'll be connected to is able to do a lot better than any portable deck, but the deck gives it an excuse to let you use the right functions."
Volker
"Wait, if you can give me your deck, why can't I use mine? I can eject it from James's head anytime."
Gilga
Fox laughs "Because we'll need to put it in your head to have the scanner clone it. You see, a deck in the simulation is only an interface so that the mainframe would let you use dev-mode manipulations on the simulation. You do not actually need any hardware to do anything. We all use the same supercomputer to access the simulation, the decks I speak about are completely virtual. Brought into the simulation in earlier versions where the rules were more fluid."
Volker
"Then let's open my head"
Gilga
Fox grins, but does not move to perform brain surgery or cut people open. He seats and waits to see what is going to happen.
Volker
"I need string and needle, local anesthetics, a scalpel, and chirurgical pincers, if you have some. Also a patch, and some wound desinfectant. Can you get me that?"

bnc sighs heavily. "You're costing me a Whoom trip, pal. Saving the world better be worth it."
Thanee
"I got a first aid kit here, but that is all I have, if you are being serious, which at this point I suppose you are..." Nova says.

"I also have all the skills necessary, at least on a rudimentary level."

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
"Thanks for the 'kit. I left mine in the car. If that's all we have, it'll have to do. Thanks for the offer, but no. I've done this several times. No reason to let someone else cut my head."
She actually cracks kind of a smile, though, to take some tension out of the refusal. Or maybe she just grins silly because she's still on Whoom.
Still moving slowly and in a relaxed way, a couple of seconds even whistling softly before she catches herself, she arranges everything she needs in an exact and ordinary manner that some might find unfit for the sometimes so chaotic young woman. Once she is done, she lays down on a towel and wipes away some strands of hair (but, since she's got electrochromatic hair, doesn't have to shave. The side of her temple just doesn't have any hair).

She then closes her eyes and falls unconscious. James moves closer, also moving in a relaxed and dreamy manner.
[ Spoiler ]

Sitting cross-legged in front of her body, James makes one precise cut, then applies the small pinchers to prevent the wound from closing. He wipes away the quelling blood, but it seems, this is done more out of habit then of necessity. She knows exactly where the insert slot is. Tapping his own temple, he removes the deck from his head and inserts it, as if he were inserting a regular chip into a commlink. She quickly checks if the energy supply works as it is supposed to, and concludes everything is just fine. Then James removes the pinchers quietly, again whistling softly, and sews the wound in quick, methodical motions.

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
As bnc does minor brain surgery to herself, Fox remains silent and tries to stay out of the way. Trying his best not to look impressed he comments "Any more questions or do you to jump into the water already?"
Volker
"I think I'm good.", James says, while he applies wound desinfectant on the freshly stitched cut.
"Will we be able to reach out to you - or the other way round?
Oh, and how do we recognize exits?"
Gilga
Fox says "I am coming with you, I need to really be in the control room to turn off the device." When the operation is done, he'll say "follow me" and very carefully trying to look as calm as possible would lead the team to a room labeled "Guest Apartment", it is a small one-bedroom apartment including a single bed bedroom/kitchen as well as toilets/showers. All crammed into 15 square meters and designed very carefully. The place is fully staffed and Fox says "Welcome to your new home, hopefully only for the next few hours but it is possible that you would be here for long. So I packed the refrigerator with food, hoping that you do not need to get out as much. The fewer people see you the better.

Now, I'll need you to switch to the blue jumpsuits, and then we can get you scanned. After you are scanned we'll go back here, you would lie down close your eyes and would explain how you enter the simulation. There is nothing like wiring you up to a device, it is just shifting your awareness from this place to another. However, moving from single perception to dual perception is a bit sad. I am not sure that I want to explain how it feels, because anything I will say would make it harder for you.

You need to be able to mentally let go of something very fundamental, it is difficult and painful to a degree. The simulation would also make it especially difficult for you because it is how they prevent people from doing what I am about to do. Nobody can enter the simulation unless you are strong-willed enough. You need to really want to get in, you have a personal reason, I tried to explain that you are doing something positive, and you also get paid. Whatever of these reasons gets you motivated enough to get in I cannot say - but you truly need this motivation.

After you are scanned you receive a bracelet, keep it on. It is not strictly necessary but it is a safety mechanism. In case there is a power-down or something malfunctions with the simulation. The bracelet can keep you from going crazy. It would maintain you in a sand-box simulation until the real simulation is restored which means your mind would not have to experience falling into a big dark void. Many of our earliest volunteers experienced it, and some have gone completely insane by it. So the bracelet means you'll feel locked at home instead, with a storm outside. Not very pleasant, but less dangerous for your sanity. Now the simulation has been reliable for years, but considering everything - just don't take them off.

About accommodations, I am sorry that I only have one apartment I hope you'll be comfortable in sharing or better yet, that we'll not need it. The thing is, this apartment is the only guestroom that should be occupied but isn't occupied due to the storm. So placing you anywhere else would be more visible and considering what we are going to do I want to limit the dangers in this world.

Once you finish dressing we'll get you scanned, it is like an MRI machine and takes about an hour per person. So we'll be there for a while.

Then I'll say again, try and have some good experience before entering the simulation. It is not a pleasant experience and it would be easier if you are in a good mood. I understand that it sounds a bit of a stretch but do try to take me seriously. What you do need to know is that no matter what you experience, login is not dangerous. It may be intimidating, scary, or sometimes fun in a challenging manner but you are perfectly safe. The system tries to shake off anyone who is not strong-willed to get inside. You need to really want it, which is why I tried to motivate you by saving your friend, saving the world, and making money. Hopefully one of these provides enough motivation for you to log in. I was not entirely kidding saying that we used magic to grant you new mental abilities, but even if you have the potential unlocking it is still difficult. "
Thanee
"I usually get the things done, that I set out to do. I'm confident, this will work."
Volker
QUOTE ("Fox")
"After you are scanned we'll go back here, you would lie down close your eyes"

bnc points out: "There's only one bed, and two of us"

Once he is finished, she adds: "All right. Still, I need you to explain us how we get out without your help first. Things can go sideways, and we all wish everything rounds sooth like a baby's ass, you know, but just in case. Thank you very much."

After his response, she takes one of the jumpsuits and heads for the toilet to change.
Gilga
Fox sighs "Yes sorry about it, it's all I have for you. I do not want you to fall down, so I prefer that you are already closer to the floor. "

" It has the words exit in green neon on top of it, and you would feel its true meaning when you look at it. It is a powerful symbol, and walking past that door into the void fundamentally changes who you are. You felt real, completely real, and experienced existence but logically you know that the world is only a simulation. Yet, it is very difficult to willingly make yourself stop existing. In many ways it feels like taking your own life, it is not and you can go back but emotionally it is very unpleasant. The human mind does not like to change its perspective. The longer you stay the more difficult it is to stop existing and exit. "

Not wanting to talk about the experience he turns his back to you and stands by the door, trying to technically remain inside to not be seen but to give you what little privacy the small place can offer. "Whenever you are dressed up and ready to go we can leave," he says, he does not feel like he is eager to leave, determined yes but a careful observer can say that the prospect of getting inside again is foreboding to Fox.
Thanee
"I can take the floor, no problem. Guess, we can use the shower room to change."

Nova takes one of the jumpsuits and heads into the probably tiny bathroom to switch clothes.

When she come back out, she neatly folds her own clothes on the bed and lays them on top of her suitcase on the ground nearby, then pushes them under the bed, so they are not in the way.
Volker
QUOTE (Volker @ Dec 23 2021, 03:13 PM) *
After his response, she takes one of the jumpsuits and heads for the toilet to change.

bnc was just about to get into the restroom, when Nova, obviously oblivious, goes in first. With an annoyed expression, she says, more to herself then to Nova who would most likely not even hear it: "Thanks for the bed."

She waits for Nova to finish, then gets in and changes herself. Once they're all set, bnc nods toward Fox.

"All right. I'm set. Let's hunt down these assholes and save the world."
Gilga
The scanning process is eventless boring really, it is a big room with a big automated machine that uses vocal instructions and the process takes about seventy minutes inside the machine. A lot of time to think of what is to come. Fox looks especially tense, and there is sadness in his eyes when he returns to the small apartment.

He instructs the girls to lie down and close their eyes, and explain. "Imagine that you are in a big dark room, the air is thin, it is hard to breathe, you can feel your lungs burning. You are naked, cold and hurt. You are covered in ash, there is a repetitive sound ringing in your ears, but you live - you survived the transition. Now continue imagine it, and repeat after me, "I am alone in a cold dark room, covered in ash, everything hurts but I live. " Don't just say it, believe in it. Keep going until you actually feel cold, and it is difficult to breathe then open your eyes. He'll encourage them to continue trying as the seconds turn to minutes that turns to an impossibly long period.

[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
"I am alone in a cold dark room, covered in ash, everything hurts but I live."

[ Spoiler ]

Gilga
To her surprise Nova begins to feel the thin air, and the cold penetrating her bones. She finds herself lying down inside a building, covered with ash. She turns her head and the room is empty with metallic walls and floor but it is all wrong, devoid of life. She sees others around her dead of suffocation, or starvation but somehow she lives despite it all. As she lies there, she feels like she imagines herself lying on the floor being warm and comfortable in a warm room with plenty of air. As she gasps for air she hears steps.

She is vaguely aware of Foxes voice telling her "Good, now you need to find the entrance to the simulation before the guards notice that you live. Nothing can hurt you, you are perfectly safe. It is a psychological test actually, to enter the simulation you would need to open a door that makes absolutely no sense to open considering your situation. There are plenty of dangerous places so be mindful - look for something that there is no way you would want to open if you believed the simulation is real. Often something that would kill you. If you can do that, you are stable enough for the simulation. Otherwise the AI would find you not yet ready and disconnect you."
Thanee
Nova gets up and starts looking around. The dead bodies around her do not bother her much. Maybe a little, but she has seen and caused plenty death in her life.

But what does he mean? There are just walls. What is she missing? Is the door more of a metaphorical construct? Or an actual doorway?

For starters, she looks over the walls and ceiling, and if there is nothing out of the ordinary, she starts looking at the ash-covered floor.
Gilga
The metal environment appears like a spaceship, there are monitors and warning lights going on and off. There are no windows though so it can also be underground.
>>
WARNING: Low Oxygen, use an oxygen mask to prevent hypoxia.
WARNING: Non Ideal Temprature - stay in protective suit.
WARNING: Core malfunctions, power unstable.
WARNING: Stractural Damages in floors 2,3, and 4.

Nova does not find any danger, but some of the dead bodies have pistols or clubs. Many have signs of injuries. Not everyone is dead there are steps, and a thing that goes over the dead people and poke them disappointed that they are all dead. "Nobody left to play". It is easy for her to avoid the critter if she wants, and looking around the only sort of exit is an elevator with neon green "exit" lights that appear in a different style than the rest of the structure. She feels repulsed from the exit, there are monitors next to it with a million warning levels about the surface temperature which is scorching hot, and the air which is too thin and unbreathable.
Volker
For bnc, the process is more difficult apparently. She closes her eyes, then says "I am alone in a cold dark room, covered in ash, everything hurts but I live." but nothing happens.

She sighs, repeats it, then again, but cannot bring herself to really believe it. Sure, saving the world and bringing Anna back and such, these are motivators - but motivators don't change reality.

She runs her hands through her hair in frustrations. "This isn't going to work."

She casts a look at the two sleeping figures end sighs, not without envy. She almost runs a caressing finger over Nova's beautiful cheek but then refrains from touching her. It would not do to wake her. Also, she's a teammate...

bnc sits down, crosslegged. A teammate, like Anna. There's so much I couldn't bring myself to believe, yet she showed me otherwise. Can I not bring myself to actually believe in this situation, for her?
But she can't. Believing is not a choice.

But there are things that make it easier to block your rational mind. And with these things, bnc has experience.
Thanee
Scorching hot and not enough air to breeze... that sounds about right!

Nova avoids the critter and heads towards the elevator.

She stops before the door and hesitates for a moment. But it is too late to turn around now, she has to trust in what he told them. So far, at least, it does not seem like he lied. And why would he?

So, after a short moment, she steps into the elevator.
Gilga
Fox is completely aware to this world, and is not sleeping like Nova. He shoots bnc an empathetic look and says "It never works the first time, your friend is the anomaly, not you. There is a shortcut, but this method is the best one because it let you act in this world as well. "

He instructs her "When you are in a matrix simulation, your regular senses still feed your brain information. You are just too distracted to process it, so this is the other way around. You are already connected to the simulation, you have been connected since you were scanned your brain is constantly being fed information about the simulation - but you are too distracted by this world to process that information. Now here is the catch, I can get you into the simulation by giving you a drug that denies access to all your senses. You would basically have no distraction and your mind would cling to the simulation as the only source providing sensory input. The problem with it is that you would not achieve the mental state allowing you to act in this world. So it is a dangerous route to go.

Give it a try, you have been in the matrix you know that things appear real and that your mind is convinced they are real to the point of possible dump shock. None of these concepts is alien to you - but the technology level is so much more that it appears magical. Try it again, I am sure you can do it - the second set of senses is right there wired to your brain. You are influenced by a spell that extends your mental capacity to process these signals in parallel. Try to see it, search your mind for the place I describe.

Here is the deal, You are naked, in a future version of this facility. It is dark, you are cold very cold, hypothermia cold. You shiver, and there was a fire or some other catastrophe everything is covered in ash. Your lungs burn, it is too cold to breathe and there is not enough oxygen. Your head hurts, you suffocate. You should have died under these conditions, yet you live. You need to will yourself to live, and open your eyes. See the room that I describe, feel the cold air the ash. Hear the awful buzzing of numerous critical error messages. It is already there."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012