Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much is too much?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Siege
A fair enough reply since most people on either side of this issue have formed opinions and are unlikely to be swayed through discourse, rational and otherwise.

-Siege
Voran
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 23 2004, 06:41 PM)
Notice I said crack addict and not well armed, obviously trained, and well planned robber.

That's sorta the trick too. You have a few moments to figure out if the frantic guy running outta the store with the gun is:

A. The crackaddict who just rolled the store.
B. A frantic bystander or part time store clerk (who's not in uniform) who managed to get frickin lucky, get the gun away from the crack addict who was rolling the store, and was getting the hell outta dodge.

Now, people may think B wouldn't happen. But working in the behavior field, I can tell you, people don't always do the 'logical' thing. Hell, given that I don't have any real world experience being involved in an armed robbery, I have no frickin clue what I would do if I somehow found myself holding the robber's gun. I'm probably more a danger to myself with a gun than that gun in the hands of the robber. Well...ok...maybe.

Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand....

Hell, in a world of devil rats, ghouls, gangers who don't wanna wait until you're dead to do a little organ-legging, and the like, I'd be carrying everything I could.

For my char, he tended to load gel rounds in his pistol. I tended to like a Colt Manhunter. Decent conceal for a heavy pistol, didn't strike me as unwieldy as a Predator. 3 clips regular ammo, 2 clips gel, plus the 1 gel clip in the weapon. I never really would carry the armor piercers or explosive rounds or happy trick ones, unless it was a run or a meet. Naturally loadout also varied on where I was going for the evening.
Hunter
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
how many rounds should a shadowrunner carry if he doesnt use much more than a pistol on average.

I usually carry two spare magazines for my pistols (one regular ammunition and the other gel) plus six magazines for my primary weapon.

If I'm only using pistols, then I tend to only carry six spare magazines. biggrin.gif
Shrike30
The thought of getting into a firefight stuck with only a handgun is really not appealing.

The thought of getting into a firefight stuck with only a handgun and a really limited supply of ammunition, well...

Pistols are for gunfights, not firefights... I differentiate the two by whether or not you can see the target you're shooting at, and gunfights are usually over in a matter of seconds. If you need to shoot one or two people, or you find yourself stuck in the middle of something with a jammed gun and need someone to die NOW, they're good. If it's the only thing you're going to be carrying, you've already done a good job of making sure your usefulness in a firefight is pretty minimal... running out of ammunition because you've been shooting just to keep someone's head down is a really bad place to be.

You can easily carry enough ammunition to deal with a gunfight. Even the 10 round mags in the Walther PB-120 or the Brownings ought to be enough, in Shadowrun... those couple of spares extend your ability to shoot, should things go a little sour, and give you some flexibility in ammo choice.

The minute you're expecting trouble, you should carry as many spare handgun magazines as you feasibly can, if you refuse to use anything larger. Handgun magazines are NOT large (about as thick and tall as a box of cigarettes, and only 2/3 as wide is a reasonable estimation for any high-capacity automatic)... even if it comes down to having a few spare magazines in your pocket or backpack, you're better off than you would be without any more ammuniton. Also, consider carrying a backup gun in a concealed location, so that you have a secondary weapon in case of a severe malfunction, dropping the first gun, or if you are disarmed.

edits: invision hates me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012