Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much is too much?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fygg Nuuton
how many rounds should a shadowrunner carry if he doesnt use much more than a pistol on average.
Phaeton
At most, three clips normal, three clips gel, and three clips hollow-point or Ex-Ex.

Carry around maybe two clips each of normal or gel at most while just walking around, maybe all of the clips while on an actual run.
Kagetenshi
How many rounds? All of them, of course.

Seriously, though, I rarely carry more than three clips including the one in the gun.

~J
BitBasher
standard in my games seems to be 2 clips of standard (or EX, or apds, personal preference) and one of gel. That's it.
Shadow
4 mags for my Manhunter. Including the one loaded. Usually ExEx since if you have to fire the gun, you want to make sure what you hit dies. Screw gel rounds smile.gif

On assault mission, at least 180 rounds for the SMG or Assault Riffle. Thats 6 magazines @ 30 rounds a mag.
TinkerGnome
Geeze, Shadow, that's a lot of ammo. Of course, that might be because the Alpha takes 42 round clips and those weigh in at about 4 kg each and that's what I'm used to packing.

Anyway, the question is, how much weight can you carry? Because that's pretty much the answer if you're going on a run wink.gif

The only time there's a such thing as too much ammo is when you're walking through chemsniffers.
Shadow
It seems like it but it really isn't. When I was in the army we carried 7 mags of 28 round mags for out M-16's. That was our combat load out. Considering you burn through a mag in about 20 seconds....

Well like you said, to much is never an issue, you carry all you can carry. When I die, it will not be because I ran out of ammo.
Kagetenshi
The trick is to start packing the opposition's weaponry as soon as you can, IMO.

~J
Zeel De Mort
Amen to that!

In SR terms, if you're carrying a pistol then probably a couple of spare clips will do the trick. I'd go for about four in total too.

But for automatic weapons you really want to be carrying all you can, and have it readily available for loading too. Considering you can go through a whole clip in one combat turn, I'd probably carry at least half a dozen full clips too.
TinkerGnome
Being a little more scientific about it, take your average number of phases per combat turn, take your average number of shots per phase, and then try to get about 10 combat turns worth of ammo. For an automatic weapon in the hands of a wired street sam, that's probably about 180 rounds (figuring 3 phases per turn, 2 3 round bursts per phase) or 5 clips for an Alpha. If you've got the RC to go full auto that'd be 300 rounds (or about 7 clips for an Alpha). wink.gif A SA pistol would be "just" 60 rounds (4 clips for a pred). That kind of math kind of indicates the "as much as you can carry" adage smile.gif

That said, most weights in SR are screwy and I image that ammunition is no exception.
A Clockwork Lime
I usually go with one clip in each gun and two spare clips for each. Since most of my characters tend to carry two pistols, that's a total of six clips. I tend to prefer two clips each of regular ammo or EX Explosive if expecting some major opposition and one clip each filled with capsule rounds and a DMSO/Gamma-Scopolamine or DMSO/Neuro-Stun X cocktail if on a budget.

QUOTE (Phaeton)
At most, three clips normal, three clips gel, and three clips hollow-point or Ex-Ex.

Why on Earth would anyone short of a psycho-killer carry around hollow-point rounds? They're totally worthless when shooting anyone worth shooting (ie, anyone wearing armor). Yeah, it gives you a whopping +1 Power, but it combines Ballistic and Impact armor ratings. Blech.

But I guess it is fairly decent against unarmored critters and innocent bystandards.
Kagetenshi
It's all about the innocent bystanders. Especially the innocent bystander Trolls.

~J
Xirces
I like the idea of carrying Hollow Point rounds, but it makes more sense to go with Glazer, Mercury or Flechette.

I'd generally go with 2 guns, each loaded with regular ammo, plus a spare clip of regular, one for unarmoured targets and one for armoured targets (for each gun, natch). Not too keen on explosive...
Phaeton
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Yeah, it gives you a whopping +1 Power, but it combines Ballistic and Impact armor ratings. Blech.

...It does? indifferent.gif I didn't know that before...
TinkerGnome
Gel rounds are actually really good for a lot of situations. Besides the reduce risk of innocent bystanders being killed, their -2 power is generally more than made up for by the fact that your foe resists with impact armor and has a higher knockdown chance if he takes damage.

Most of my characters carry a clip of gel loaded in the weapon and two or three clips of Ex-ex in addition. I figure that if you go through one clip of gel, then playtime is over. That, and with a smartlink, it's just one simple and one free action to change to a better type of ammo.
Zeel De Mort
Yeah. They're great against unarmoured targets, but then how often do you encounter them? Besides which, anyone who's unarmoured will be in trouble if they get shot. smile.gif

CC has lots of different ammo types, but alas most of them aren't much use in a typical combat. Regular, Gel, EX, APDS and AV are about the best of the bunch, if you ask me. Capsule is good too if you're not bothered about the price. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
That said, most weights in SR are screwy and I image that ammunition is no exception.

Just in case someone hasn't seen this and this already but might care.
TinkerGnome
Hollow point (and by extension Mercury and Glazer rounds) rounds are good against critters and not much else. Flechette rounds are in much the same boat, though they're definitely better tham Mercury rounds and probably better than Glazer and Hollow Point rounds as well.

Incendiary, Tracer, Tracker, Hi-C, and Capsule rounds are all good, if you've got the nuyen.gif and an application where you can use them to full effect. Other than that, the standard set (regular, APDS, AV, Ex/Ex-Ex, and Gel) are in most common usage.

Oh, does anyone know what the deal with "stun rounds" in the listings at the back of the CC is? It looks like a typo, but it's always worth asking about such things wink.gif
Zeel De Mort
Hmm, I dunno what "Stun Rounds" is all about. I don't see it listed in any older books or anything.

Perhaps it refers to something like spare cells for stun batons, such as the AZ-150? Or shock gloves etc. Other than that, I have no clue.
Cain
"Stun rounds" are rubber buckshot rounds for shotguns.

Glazers and hollowpoints are good if your GM likes to mess with overpenetration. If you're in a biowarfare lab, sometimes you don't want those stray rounds to break anything...
A Clockwork Lime
No, those are Stun Shells. Stun Rounds are a ghost entry on the table for standard firearms.
The Grifter
I carry a clip of hollow points loaded in my Taurus PT 24/7 9mm, and a spare clip of regular FMJ, IRL. I doubt when some idiot's looking down the barrel of it he's gonna go "Well, I have on a bullet proof vest, those HP's won't be as effective." Basically, ammo, just like guns, are tools needed for different jobs, and you should plan accordingly. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Smiley
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ May 22 2004, 07:54 PM)
Geeze, Shadow, that's a lot of ammo.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Boy scouts aren't the only ones who should always be prepared. Life expectancy increases that way. wink.gif
[EDIT]: Damn... didn't see that last bit of The Grifter's post. Oh well, it's still a good point. Even secondhand.
Arethusa
Really, it's not a lot of ammo. 6 spare mags is about what I'd drag with me for an assuredly quick firefight. If I were concerned about things getting worse, that number can easily double.
Zephania
The trick is to match the load to the job, if you're just walkin' the street doin' a little reconnisance then it's about concealability, the smallest pistol and MAYBE a spare clip and you should get in most places. You have to balance what you expect to happen when you walk through the doors with what you can get away with hiding on your body. I tend to pack as roomsweeper in a concealable holster under a long coat. I think that works out at about 12 without any spare rounds but this starts falling when you put a few shells in your pocket.
Smiley
Smallest pistol? LIGHT pistols? Ewwwww... Concealability is great, but jeez... You'd have a better chance with harsh language.
Shrike30
I'm looking at a real-life carry rig involving a Glock 19, which means that (if I top it off) I'll have 16 rounds in the gun, with two 15 round magazines availiable for reloads. Gun would go either under the left arm or on the left hip (for a crossdraw), with the two spare magazines under the right arm or on the left hip next to the gun.

Body armor being a big rarity in the US, I'll be carrying one magazine of hollowpoints, one of Glasers, and one of FMJ. The hollowpoints and glasers have a similar effect (being frangible, they reduce the risks of overpenetration). Glasers are better at avoiding overpenetration through walls (making them a better choice than hollowpoints indoors) but also have serious problems maintaining good terminal ballistics at longer ranges, so the gun is going to be loaded with either hollowpoints if I'm going to be outdoors a lot (driving, walking downtown, etc), and the Glasers if I'm indoors (going to a movie, going shopping, etc). The FMJ would be availiable as a spare magazine for situations where I find myself faced with a surface I actually need to penetrate (like glass, or a car door, or something I haven't thought of yet).

I figure if I end up in a situation where I need more than 46 rounds, I've screwed up.

As a runner, my usual configuration involves a very similar assortment for daily carry. One mag of explosive (usually loaded), one mag of gel (because this is a nonlethal option that's not availiable today, which I would really like to have), and one mag of either standard (which penetrates reasonably well) or APDS (which penetrates REALLY well, but is hard to get).

On a run, it depends on how low profile you have to be. With a gun in your armpit and two mags on your belt, it's not hard to get two more mags under your other arm, and two more on the opposite side of your belt without getting really noticeable bulges if you have any sort of jacket or loose shirt. If you're REALLY trying to stay low-profile, the initial "two spare mags" route should be fine (since getting into a gunfight means you've screwed up badly, anyways). If you're going high-profile (obvious gear, body armor, the whole deal), then you've either got a long gun as a primary weapon (anything SMG or larger) with an appropriate number of mags or shells with maybe four spare handgun mags... or your handgun *is* your primary weapon, in which case you should have as many magazines as you can comfortably carry, as well as a backup handgun of some sort with a couple of spare magazines. If a player with only a handgun informed me he had 12 magazines in pouches on his vest and belt, I really wouldn't complain. He is, after all, walking into a firefight with one of the worst possible choices of weapons... I'm not about to spite him having enough ammo for it.

One common practice is to have your main gun loaded with one ammunition type, and your secondary gun loaded with another. Putting hardball ammunition into your handgun when the suppressed SMG is loaded with gel ammo (or vice versa, if you want) gives you the ability to transfer between lethal and non-lethal rounds by simply switching weapons (a simple action), rather than forcing the player to eject a magazine, insert a new one, and ready the weapon to rechamber the new type of ammunition (three simple actions, or two simples and a free if you've got a smartlink). Having your main gun on a sling (and maybe a lanyard on your handgun) helps a lot here, since you don't have to worry about recovering the gun you let go of when you swapped.
Entropy Kid
Depending on the run, different stuff is needed. That's been covered. When not expecting (or looking for) trouble, one magazine ("clip") of EX explosive rounds in a heavy pistol and another magazine of EX explosive rounds ready to go. For a non-lethal option, a taser.
Siege
QUOTE (Shadow)
It seems like it but it really isn't. When I was in the army we carried 7 mags of 28 round mags for out M-16's. That was our combat load out. Considering you burn through a mag in about 20 seconds....

Well like you said, to much is never an issue, you carry all you can carry. When I die, it will not be because I ran out of ammo.

Heh.

If I'm playing a combat spec, I will carry two or three times the amount of ammo a tech spec will for all three weapons: Primary, secondary, special.
Primary: SMG, AR
Secondary: Handgun
Special: Grenade launcher

If for no other reason than I really enjoy suppressive fire and will unload a mag down a hallway to keep the more prudent sec guards honest.

As a tech spec, I'm usually worrying about hauling so much gear I only have one handgun and four mags -- one loaded, three spare.

Ammo loads will depend on the nature of the job and expected resistance -- EXX is always nice when your cover won't be the only thing blown. grinbig.gif

-Siege
maneius
the gun is going to be loaded with either hollowpoints if I'm going to be outdoors a lot (driving, walking downtown, etc), and the Glasers if I'm indoors (going to a movie, going shopping, etc).

You take a gun to the movies? eek.gif
Why?
Diesel
People do it nowadays, mostly to feel safe. Extend muggers into wired-up troll mage muggers, and I'm surprised more people don't walk around with assault rifles and MMGs
maneius
Yeah, I can understand it in SR, but I think he was talking about doing it IRL.
The thing is, think about the ranges that muggings take place at, I'd say at about a metre or two. If your mugger has, let's say, a knife, he holds you up with it, if you go for your gun, he either stabs you or he runs for it, and I don't care how lax your gun laws are, it's still illegal to shoot someone in the back when they're running away.

If he has a gun, there is no way in hell you can draw before he shoots you, so having a gun really doesn't help. The best thing to do is to learn to disarm people, that way, when you get attacked, you end up with the weapon, and they don't. Of course the most important thing is to survive, so don't do anything stupid, we'd hate to lose you.
JaronK
If a psycho mugger jumps out at you, and he's already got his gun or knife aimed at you and ready to be used, I wouldn't try disarming. Just give him the damn cash and try to remember his face for the sketch artist. We all have dreams of being heroes, but sometimes it's best to realize that your life is not worth the $20 in your wallet.

JaronK
Nikoli
Reminds me of something that happened to a good friend. He was walking from a strip club down a grass hill to a night club (as bouncers at teh night club we got free admittance to the strip club, since we liked the atmosphere and they didn't have a lot of security on staff we often stepped in).
Anyway, he was walking, it's dark and a short mexican guy (I say short because Matt, the guy this happened to is like 6'4 maybe 6'5", so everybody is pretty much short) jumps in front of him with a knife in hand, asking for his money. He thinks it over, decides no and punches the guy from the surrender position in the face, knocking him cold. Matt rolls him over and snags the wallet, taking the guys 20 bucks. Matt says "sweet, doubled my money" and walks on tot he club.

Personally, 20 bucks ain't worth it, but I also say if you try to mug someone and get your arse handed to you, you deserve what ever comes short of death.
CardboardArmor
Mugging the mugger. Best story ever, man.
BitBasher
I doubt when some idiot's looking down the barrel of it he's gonna go "Well, I have on a bullet proof vest, those HP's won't be as effective.
Nitpick: If they're looking down the barrel, then it's pointed at their head. Hos vest is'nt going to help him anyway! biggrin.gif
Shrike30
QUOTE (maneius @ May 23 2004, 11:19 AM)
Yeah, I can understand it in SR, but I think he was talking about doing it IRL.
The best thing to do is to learn to disarm people, that way, when you get attacked, you end up with the weapon, and they don't.  Of course the most important thing is to survive, so don't do anything stupid, we'd hate to lose you.

*shrugs* I'm a Boy Scout. I'd carry a handgun for the same reason I've got a spare tire in my car, some water bottles in the closet, a pocket knife and some cash on me at all times... i'm being prepared.

If you carry a gun when you go to the crappy parts of town, that makes sense to a lot of people (those who don't think carrying a gun is totally abhorrent, that is). You might need it, basically. I take that same thinking and extend it to the rest of life... you don't KNOW when you're going to need that water in your closet, that cash in your wallet, or that gun on your hip... so why not carry them all the time? I'm fully aware that if I shoot someone, even in self defense, I've got to be able to show a jury that I was, in fact, in danger of getting killed, and even if it's a righteous shoot, odds are that I'll get sued by the family members of the victim. But the odds are, if something came up and I was put into a situation where I needed that gun, I stopped a crime, maybe saved a life.

As for disarming someone, well... I know how to. A couple of years of Aikido, knowing joint locks, weapon takeaways, and the like. And i know that there's very little room for error if you choose to engage someone with a knife. Most likely, one of you gets stabbed several times... and he's the guy who started out with the knife. Disarming is an option, but a risky one. That G-19 goes from 16 to 0 in 4 seconds flat, if I ask it to... and even at a couple of yards, that ought to be enough. I'm willing to bet i'd get hurt less.

Disarming, of course, doesn't do you much good if the other person has a gun, or if you've got several people to deal with. Even at 6'1", 210 lbs, i'm not willing to deal with three or four angry, drunk people at a time. The sheer deterrent value of a handgun should be enough to avoid a lot of trouble.

Statistical evidence shows that firearms are used to prefent crimes without a shot fired in about 90% of incidences. In about 1% of the remaining 10%, the perpetrator dies... in the other 9%, he either takes off, is too wounded to leave, or runs/gives up before he gets hit.

I guess my point is that I see a firearm as a tool I might need at some point in my life, and I see no real reason that going to the movies should be any different than going to a crappy part of town... I want my tools with me in case I need them. In the case of a firearm, if it's a tool that I want, it's a tool that I really, really want, because someone's life is in danger. I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't have it with me because I was only going to the movies.

I guess I'll toss this back to you: you said you could understand carrying a gun all the time in SR, but not in real life. Why does it make sense in a game, but not in something that really matters?
Kagetenshi
Because in the game we actively use that gun as part of our primary source of income. It's not a "what if", killing and being killed are a part of everyday life while Running. For instance, I don't take a gallon of water with me when I go to the store, even though it's possible that I may get trapped in rubble somewhere along the way. Change the scenario to me hiking somewhere, and that gallon of water becomes a lot more important.

~J
Shrike30
But, you can get killed in real life, too. The odds are much less, admittedly, and a lot of people never have to deal with it. But violent crime happens, drunken brawls happen, and people get hurt... I see no reason to be a victim. That gallon of water doesn't matter on the way to the store because someone will dig you out of the rubble before you die of thirst. If you're in a situation where your life is in danger, a 3-5 minute police response time isn't acceptable, and might get you killed. Having a gun with you doesn't mean you have to use it... it just means you've got the option.

Carrying a gun is a big social responsibility and a pain in the ass... but it's stuff I'm willing to deal with because of the big "in case." I worry too much smile.gif Besides, if every run you go on involves a lot of lead flying around, it's time to learn to use something heavier than a handgun.
Kagetenshi
It doesn't need to involve a lot of lead flying around. Even if you pull off a run perfectly, not a shot fired, there's still that risk of getting killed or being forced to kill. It's a high risk, too; a lot higher than the risk of getting mugged in the first place, let alone being mugged by someone a gun would help against. Running is fundamentally dangerous in a way that few people on this board will ever encounter.

And a gun isn't going to keep you from being a victim.

~J
maneius
I guess I'll toss this back to you: you said you could understand carrying a gun all the time in SR, but not in real life. Why does it make sense in a game, but not in something that really matters?

Simple: Running involves going places you shouldn't be, and generally pissing of people who you really don't want angry at you. That is the reason why I can understand carrying a weapon most of the time in SR.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
And a gun isn't going to keep you from being a victim.

Certainly not. But it can tip the odds in my favor, if used correctly.

I see little overall loss from choosing to carry a handgun. It means I need to think ahead about where I'm carrying (it's illegal in federal buildings, public schools, etc), I need to wear clothes that can conceal a gun, and I need to deal with 3-odd pounds of metal being tucked inside of my beltline, but that's about it. What do I get out of it? Something that maybe, if my luck goes really badly, might come in handy.

Fair trade, in my eyes.
Smiley
A weapon? Shit...
Shadow
maneius, in the states anyways it also adds to your social responsibility.

Here is the skinny,

Scenario

I am walking down the street smelling flowers and minding my own business when some crack addict comes running out of a convenience store. Crack addict does not see me, but he is waving some piece of crap .32 caliber pistol around.

What do I do?

A. Dive for cover and hope he doesn't see me?
B. Dive for cover, draw my pistol and shoot him?
C. Rush him and hope that I get to him before he turns and see's me?

If I am carrying a gun the answer is B. By law. If you carry you are legally responsible to intervene if you can do so. It differs from state to state so the language may nt jive.

Being who I am, I am going to do something about this anyways. It is in my nature. I can't stand around and do nothing while people are hurt or killed. So I might as well carry a gun eh?

As for the mugging thing, your right. $20 bucks isn't worth it. But what if he shoots you anyways. What if he decides it's $20 bucks and your wife? What if it's $20 bucks and your daughter?

Carrying a gun doesn't seem that bad of an idea eh?
Kagetenshi
Still doesn't seem like any better an idea. If that person was a threat to me unarmed, they would be a threat to me when I'm packing, too. If I have time to draw, I have time to hit them.

~J
Shrike30
QUOTE (Shadow)
I am walking down the street smelling flowers and minding my own business when some crack addict comes running out of a convenience store. Crack addict does not see me, but he is waving some piece of crap .32 caliber pistol around.

What do I do?

A. Dive for cover and hope he doesn't see me?
B. Dive for cover, draw my pistol and shoot him?
C. Rush him and hope that I get to him before he turns and see's me?

If I am carrying a gun the answer is B. By law. If you carry you are legally responsible to intervene if you can do so. It differs from state to state so the language may nt jive.

In Washington state, at least, you have to be able to prove that you believed there was actually a threat to your or another person's life when you use lethal force. We do not have a "required to intervene" law, fortunately... I can see a number of situations in which that would cause more trouble then it would solve.

Would I attempt to stop an obvious robbery? It would depend entirely upon the situation. Does it look like someone is going to die? What are the odds of me getting into a gunfight? How many other targets are around, which might be working with the obvious perpetrator and which might just get hit if bullets start flying? I would feel irresponsible if I did not try and help, but pulling a gun and yelling "Drop the weapon!" without assessing the situation first could make the situation much, much worse.
Shadow
Notice I said crack addict and not well armed, obviously trained, and well planned robber.

Kagetenshi
Which increases the risk. If they know what they're doing, they're more likely to give up if the other side clearly has the advantage. A crack addict might just start shooting anyway.

~J
Shadow
<points to where he said draw gun and shoot him, not yell 'freeze'.>

I am not a cop, I don't have to give fair warning, All I have to do is prove that life was in danger. A mad man waiving a gun around after robbing a store is proof enough.
Kagetenshi
*Shrugs* You're the one taking the risk, not me. Knock yourself out.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012