Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun Anarchy Actual Play
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Skarn Ka

New Shadowrun Anarchy Actual Play

In French, on the Role'n Play channel. Auto-CC does a quasi-decent job at translating for non-speakers.

Campaign is heavily influenced by Power Plays and Emerald City lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX8rjUhRIvo...C3%B4le%27nPlay
sunnyside
Well...they look like they're having fun....
JanessaVR
I might listen to a session while I'm at work but that's not going to work in this case, unfortunately.
Ka_ge2020
Shadowrun: Anarchy is widely regarded as borken as written and requires significant fan hacks to make it work.

Heck, the very first thing that you have to do is ignore the whole limit on AMPs to make it feel more like Shadowrun and not some FATE distro.

Sorry. I hardcore wanted to love both it and the Earthdawn equivalent in the FU system.
UneVoix
Actually, the french version of Anarchy is quite different, and the system is hugely popular in France. It basically relaunched the french shadowrun community.
Archaos
QUOTE (Skarn Ka @ Jun 21 2023, 03:23 PM) *
In French, on the Role'n Play channel. Auto-CC does a quasi-decent job at translating for non-speakers.

You should add English subtitles.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (UneVoix @ Jun 29 2023, 03:55 PM) *
Actually, the french version of Anarchy is quite different, and the system is hugely popular in France. It basically relaunched the french shadowrun community.

Any chance you could expound on this? You’ve piqued my curiosity.

(For that matter, what was the deal with the English version of Anarchy? An attempt at a rules-lite Shadowrun variant?)

(This also got me curious about what changes might exist in the international version I could do my own research on, and according to Pixiv Dic they have an interesting variant on the old saying we know so well: 油断するな。迷わず撃て。弾を切らすな。ドラゴンには手を出すな。 “Don’t let your guard down/be careless. Shoot without hesitation/doubt. Don’t run out of ammo. Don’t get yourself involved with Dragons.” It loses something in the retranslation, but the JP has a nice ring to it.)

~J
Ka_ge2020
QUOTE (Archaos @ Jun 29 2023, 04:16 PM) *
You should add English subtitles.

That's not exactly non-trivial to do.

And if you know how to make it non-trivial, please let me know. I hate having to manually add closed captions to things for work and would just love to be able to use SRT's but... Alas.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 29 2023, 05:58 PM) *
(For that matter, what was the deal with the English version of Anarchy? An attempt at a rules-lite Shadowrun variant?)

That's exactly what it was, but more specifically, it was meant to be keyed into the SR5 rules so that you could use the full SR5 rules to build down into SR:A.
Lionesque
QUOTE (Ka_ge2020 @ Jun 30 2023, 04:06 AM) *
That's not exactly non-trivial to do.

And if you know how to make it non-trivial, please let me know. I hate having to manually add closed captions to things for work and would just love to be able to use SRT's but... Alas.

I am not up to speed on this whole speech-to-text issue, but 10 years ago, a program called Dragon Naturally Speaking was awe-inspiring in its ability to convert spoken language into text, and could be trained to understand other languages than its native English in a matter of days. Maybe it's worth looking into for you, if this actual play series is something that you plan to continue?
Ka_ge2020
QUOTE (Lionesque @ Jun 30 2023, 05:48 AM) *
I am not up to speed on this whole speech-to-text issue, but 10 years ago, a program called Dragon Naturally Speaking was awe-inspiring in its ability to convert spoken language into text, and could be trained to understand other languages than its native English in a matter of days. Maybe it's worth looking into for you, if this actual play series is something that you plan to continue?

Well, to be fair it's not my series to continue or not. I was just thinking about how to get about "easily" translate it. While transcription serves are common--heck, if you use Slack that will transcribe audio for you when you upload it, or Adobe Premiere Pro will produce a "good enough" transcription--you can then put the text through Google Translate or some such. It's going to be two errors compounding themselves. Then just upload the SRT.
Archaos
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 29 2023, 05:58 PM) *
Any chance you could expound on this? You’ve piqued my curiosity.

The table of content of the French version of SRA :
SYNCHRONISME 6
INTRO 12
LE SIXIÈME MONDE 14
TOUT A UN PRIX 14
LES JOURS QUI ONT CHANGÉ LE MONDE 18
OÙ COURIR 25
CE QUE VOUS ALLEZ FAIRE 27
UNE JOURNÉE TYPIQUE 29
LES FORCES EN PRÉSENCE 32
LA VIE DANS LE SIXIÈME MONDE 42

FORCES DU CHAOS 55
LES ÉTAPES DE LA CRÉATION DU PERSONNAGE 55
NIVEAU DE JEU 56
CONCEPT DU PERSONNAGE 57
MÉTATYPE 59
ATTRIBUTS 59
COMPÉTENCES 60
ATOUTS 62
TRAITS 70
CONTACTS 71
ARMURE 71
ARMES 72
ÉQUIPEMENT 74
PROGRESSION DES PERSONNAGES 75

PERSONNAGES JOUEURS 79
COYDOG 80
GENTRY 82
HARDPOINT 84
MISS MYTH 86
SLEDGE 88
ALYOSHA DUSKA 90
BIT-BUCKET 92
BORDERLINE 94
CHROME BISON 96
DAKTARI 98
FOURTH 100
FUSION 102
HAWK 104
IS0BEL75 106
JINN 108
KIX 110
KNOX 112
LE BRUMEUR 114
NINETAILS 116
RAIDER 118
RASPBERRY JAM 120
RAZZLE DAZZLE 122
REESE FRENZY 124
ROSE RED 126
RUCKUS 128
SHADES 130
STRIDER 132
THUNDER 134
TOMMY Q 136
VALMONT 138
VECTOR 140
WAGON 142
WHEEZER 144

LES RÈGLES DE LA RUE 146
JOUER À SHADOWRUN : ANARCHY 146
MÉCANIQUES DE BASE 147
COMBAT 154
MAGIE 159
MATRICE 162
DRONES ET VÉHICULES 164
RÈGLES ADDITIONNELLES 167

COURIR LES OMBRES 170
AVANT LE DÉBUT DE LA PARTIE 170
CONTRÔLER L’ANARCHIE 174
COURIR LES OMBRES AVEC STYLE 177
SEUL MAÎTRE À BORD 179

LES HABITANTS DU SIXIÈME MONDE 181
PERSONNAGES NON-JOUEURS 181
GANGERS 182
EMPLOYÉS CORPORATISTES 184
FORCES DE L’ORDRE ET SÉCURITÉ CORPORATISTE 185
MILITAIRES 189
JOHNSONS 190
ESPRITS 191
MATRICE 199
CRÉATURES 200
ESPRITS INSECTES 203
DÉFRACTÉS DE BOSTON 204
POUVOIRS DE CRÉATURES 205

LES DESSOUS DE SEATTLE 207
UN MONDE PLEIN D’ACTION 220
FOOD FIGHT 222
PREND GARDE À CE QUE TU CHERCHES 223
ÉTOILE NOIRE MONTANTE 224
EXPÉDITION ARCOLOGIQUE 225
SUIVRE LA VOIE 226
L’HOMME QUI VALAIT TROIS MILLIARDS 227
QUE FLOTTE VOTRE ÉTENDARD 228
CHASSE AU FUSIL À HONG KONG 229
LA COURSE AUX NERPS 230
DRONES DE HAUT VOL 231
EMBROUILLES À PUYALLUP 232
LE SECRET DES HALLOWEENERS 233
LA LUMIÈRE INTÉRIEURE 235
COMBAT URBAIN 236
CASCADEURS ANONYMES 237
INSPECTION SANITAIRE 239
LE SALAIRE DE L’ASSASSIN 240
GRAND NETTOYAGE 241
LE BALAYEUR 242
LA GUERRE DES TRIADES 243
UNE VIRÉE FÉÉRIQUE 244
UN POUR TOUS 246
VILLE OUVRIÈRE 247
MY FAIR LADY 248
FOIRE D’EMPOIGNE 249
DÉLITS DE FUITE (1RE PARTIE) 250
DÉLITS DE FUITE (2E PARTIE) 251
SOUS LE SABLE (1RE PARTIE) 253
SOUS LE SABLE (2E PARTIE) 254
LES MILLE ET UN ENNUIS (1RE PARTIE) 255
LES MILLE ET UN ENNUIS (2E PARTIE) 256
LES MILLE ET UN ENNUIS (3E PARTIE) 257
LES MILLE ET UN ENNUIS (4E PARTIE) 259
REINE NOIRE, PIONS BLANCS (1RE PARTIE) 261
REINE NOIRE, PIONS BLANCS (2E PARTIE) 262
REINE NOIRE, PIONS BLANCS (3E PARTIE) 263
REINE NOIRE, PIONS BLANCS (4E PARTIE) 265
LE NUCTÉMÉRON 267
CALARAN EST UN SALE TRAITRE 268
SPINRAD CONTRE SPINRAD (1RE PARTIE : BACK TO SCHOOL) 269
SPINRAD CONTRE SPINRAD (2E PARTIE : SORTIE SCOLAIRE) 271
SPINRAD CONTRE SPINRAD (3E PARTIE : ÉCOLE BUISSONNIÈRE) 272

ANARCHY & SHADOWRUN 275
LES OUVRAGES DE LA CINQUIÈME ÉDITION 275
PASSER DE SR5 / SR6 À ANARCHY 275
PASSER D’ANARCHY À SR5 / SR6 277
adambeyoncelowe
I bought the French PDF and converted it by feeding 10MB chunks into Google Translate, and then recombining the PDFs, and it is better.

For example, there are rules for using thresholds instead of opposed dice pools for everything, the amp system is more detailed and better costed, missing rules like sprites are included, plot points are better and tie into cues and dispositions, cues actually have a purpose now, tags act as extra knowledge skills, there are two kinds of glitch dice (to allow for dice that don't roll an exploit as well and ones that do), and the game introduces things like danger levels for NPCs and defined degrees of success (if you roll a few hits but not enough, you can still get a partial success, for example).

It feels like a "complete" game out of the box. If you can be bothered with the effort of chopping the PDF up, translating each section, and then recombining it again, you get a legible game. It's perhaps a bit more effort than most people are willing to put in, though.
Tiralee
QUOTE (UneVoix @ Jun 29 2023, 03:55 PM) *

Ohhh? You have my attention at this!

- Bounced a one-shot off of people half my age, they were tired of the whole DnD stuff and were amazed at a brutal, crunchy system that could one-shot a "Hero/Boss" if you did good. (I do SR3)
It hit warcrimes-level of immersion really really fast.

Yeeesh
-Tir
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Jul 27 2023, 06:57 AM) *
It hit warcrimes-level of immersion really really fast.

Yeeesh
-Tir

Last edition i played was 4th. I wouuld agree that the difference between a longtime D&D player and a longtime shadowrun player is that the former looks for ways to optimize their combat capabilities while the latter looks for ways to optimize avoiding combat.
Bodak
To that I would add that when the latter is situated in the former (ie a Shadowrun adherent plays D&D) it makes sense that they prioritise survivability foremost and overwhelmingly powerful alphastrike next so that one combat spans no more than three sessions. There's no point pulling punches in a system where a dagger to the barbarian's throat still takes 40 standard actions before it starts endangering their life. No: an attrition-based sack of hitpoints needs powergaming to the hilt so that combat is swift, lethal, decisive, and over in one round. That way, you can get back to the story sooner which is the area where D&D does well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012