Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Vein of Truth
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
TinkerGnome
ic.gif thread

The recruitment thread (if you have a need for it for some reason)

Okay, posting conventions.

Cyan lines are datelines.
Orange items are locations
Bold items are PCs and NPCs

The only ones you guys really need to worry about are bold items (make sure PCs and NPCs are all bolded in your posts). Also be sure to indicate your character's name clearly in each post (in bold). You can use whatever convention you like, but I generally try to work it in to the first five words or so. With 8-10 players, it's going to take a while to pin down who is who.

As a reminder, the potential cast is:

Belfast -- RoUS -- Mage
Evans -- FXcalibur -- Street Sam/Medic
Hellcow -- Number 6 -- Face
Raven -- Shadow -- Gunbunny
Raven -- JaronK -- Weapons Expert
Skeeter -- Tisoz -- Magician Adept
Swift Eagle -- Panzergiest -- Physical Adept
Thor -- Beast of Revolutions -- Rigger
Sedryk -- Chance359 -- Street Sam
Brand -- Crechebaby -- Demolitions expert

Oh, and in case you haven't seen it, here is a really good map of the Sprawl. It's in shockwave, but well worth it.
Shadow
Can we post IC? Your thread left me wondering if that was okay.
TinkerGnome
Yep, IC is fair game as of now. Provided I have a rough character sheet (which I do for everyone except for Brand and Skeeter). Also, for the next 10 minutes or so, try not to do anything to upset me... I'm on the phone with the IRS and want to strangle someone wink.gif
A Rodent of Unusual Size
So you're saying now would be a bad time to prod you with a stick, eh? <pouts a bit before putting his away>
TinkerGnome
Whew. That was a long time on hold. Anyway, good news from the IRS for once, so that solves any dangerous moods wink.gif
A Rodent of Unusual Size
Woohoo! Congrats! Let the prodding begun. <prod prod prod>
TinkerGnome
It just shows how youthful and foolish I was when I posted "10 minutes" a full 30 before I was really done with them wink.gif

Anyway, feel free to post at will. The meet starts Friday, so the sooner you start on what little legwork you can do, the more likely you'll actually get to do it.

As per normal, you guys can make your own rolls. Just post the results on the OOC board (ie, here) when you've done so. I highly endorse McMackie's die roller. Keep in mind that you can mask large numbers of rolls with the spoiler tag. Ie:
[ Spoiler ]

Makes the OOC seem less cluttered wink.gif
Panzergeist
Making cyanide has a TN of 4 and a base time of 6 hours.
Chemistry test: 1 2 4 4 4 Two hours per dose, I make 2 doses and coat 2 arrowheads with them before going to the bar.
JaronK
So, when Raven asked if any supplies will be provided, what was the answer? Just want to know what kind of shopping will be necessary.

JaronK
TinkerGnome
Fredrick is pretty much telling all he knows. He doesn't know if anything is going to be provided, but arriving with survival gear probably wouldn't be a terrible idea. Given that it's a smuggler pitstop that the group is heading to, you've got a fairly good idea that getting some basic gear there won't be a problem, though it might not be the cheapest stuff in the world (well, it likely will be, but the prices won't match the quality).
TinkerGnome
The deadline came and went... and I have 10 characters now. Everyone is cleared to post. I'll be doing responses later this morning and in the afternnoon to whatever needs to be responded to. The meet post will be occuring this Friday.

I'll go ahead and rewarn that there's going to be a bit more "leading by the nose" up until the meet, at least.
crechebaby
This whole two Ravens thing is kinda confusing. Is there any way you guys can refer to yourselves that would make it a little less so?

I have no suggestions, other then the painfully obvious Raven1 and Raven2..
A Rodent of Unusual Size
I say they engage in a knife fight. Whoever's left standing wins the honor of using the name.
tisoz
I vote they post a bunch so we can decide on an appropriate nickname.wink.gif

Operator, connect me to Hell, please. Hell? Yes, I can wait. (Like you thought you were going to get a direct line.)

Later...

Much later...

Hello? Yeah, what's the weather like there?

Because I'm playing Shadowrun with Doctor F.
wink.gif
TinkerGnome
I figure it'll be an interesting bit of spice at the meet wink.gif
TinkerGnome
Here's a map of the bar, for those interested. New visio is good! Old visio is bad!
FXcalibur
What kinda drinks are available at the bar, and how much do they cost?
TinkerGnome
Standard stuff is available. Lots of synthetic alcohol and quite a bit of real stuff. There are also some Salish drinks if anyone wants to dig into what they're called. I used to know, but have since forgotten.

Anyway, drinking and the like is part of your lifestyle unless you're really living the poor life.
tisoz
Perception test for Skeeter to find the bar: 08 02 02 01
JaronK
Once the meet happens, I'll be switching my name, to avoid confusion. This is a running character for me, though, so his name will have to be Raven until then.

JaronK
Shadow
Hey, that's funny. Both 'Ravens' are Snipers/Samurai's.
JaronK
Well, mine's not really a samurai... but it IS pretty funny. Oh well, we'll see how the meet goes, eh? I know my Raven would be pretty amused by the whole thing.

JaronK
A Rodent of Unusual Size
Bleh, all these distractions keep coming up and keeping me from finishing my intro post. <pauses to shake his fist at the heavens> I *will* have something online by tonight though. My apologies for being so tardy.
JaronK
I'm assuming I can spot Fredrick without much difficulty, but in case it's an issue:

[ Spoiler ]

And a stealth roll to remain relatively unnoticed until things get started:

1 1 3 5 8 11

JaronK
JaronK
By the way, exactly which table is Fredrick at?

JaronK
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (JaronK)
By the way, exactly which table is Fredrick at?

Back right, by the window and just below the office area.
JaronK
Alright. Raven is at the West table just above the bar, facing towards the door and Fredrick.

JaronK
tisoz
If we're still able to tweak character's, what does it cost to Dikote a Tomohawk or 3? May as well ask about dikoting a knife and caltrop while I'm at it (the caltrop for the inevitable Body 21 Troll or Dragon we run into. wink.gif)
TinkerGnome
Something small like that is probably going to hit the minimum of 1000 nuyen. So probably 1000 nuyen on each (nonmetal handel on the tomohawk, just the head gets dikoted, more if you want the whole thing coated). Tweaking can happen until Friday morning.
TinkerGnome
Not ignoring you, Sedryk, but the Johnson will arrive about 3 minutes before you were going to do that wink.gif
Chance359
Damn. Such is life I guess.
A Rodent of Unusual Size
Cripes, how do you guys manage to do all that formatting on a regular basis? It's murder...

All right, that aside, here's the rolls and whatnot for the hearth spirit so I can see what she's capable of since I might be taking her with me. If I fail, I'll just assume her answer is "no" before she fades back into the astral. smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]
JaronK
So, has everybody made it to the bar?

JaronK
A Rodent of Unusual Size
Not yet.
Number 6
Us beautiful people have a right to be late. biggrin.gif I'll post something substantial tonite, after I work out the kinks in my character.
TinkerGnome
Deadline is tomorrow wink.gif
TinkerGnome
I'm a bit early on the draw. But no one is officially late until the next post wink.gif

The basement area is... how about I just draw it, ne?

Here's the map.

If you've got questions, just ask smile.gif
TinkerGnome
Next post sometime tomorrow. Half of the team has posted as of right now, so I'm giving at least another 8 hours. Our cycle will likely range between 24 and 36 hours for posts with 48 hours not being uncommon.
If you can't post quite that often, that's fine, but you're going to miss a lot.
tisoz
Roll to see if Skeeter understands the big words.

08 07 04 03

Way above average roll, dammit. He may understand. Wouldn't it be a surprise if he responded to the J like an accountant, economist or risk assessment consultant? rotfl.gif
JaronK
Well, my Raven actually was an accountant for a while there, or at least was trained as one, if that becomes necessary. But he's not one to pipe up until he's a bit more sure of the situation, and that no one else is going to jump on this. He can certainly play the face if he needs but he doesn't like to reveal his cards too quick. If no one else responds within 16 hours or so he'll do the talking.

JaronK
Panzergeist
Why is Skeeter so stupid if he has an intelligence of 4? He have some sort of mental retardation flaw?
Number 6
Sorry guys, maybe I missed a memo. Were we already given any in-game indication of what this mission is? Sounds like the guys just stepped in and said "I have a job. You get 1%. In or out?" Seems shakey so far. Again, sorry if I missed something, this thread is longer than some novels i've read. wobble.gif
JaronK
From what I understand of what he's said, he's saying there's some kind of resource there. Our job isn't to actually recover the resource, but rather to catalogue it, probably the first step in a corporate takeover of the area. Evidently, the natives don't know it's there. I'm guessing what's going on is that the corporation is using us to make certain that what they think is there is actually there.

The payment is 20,000 + 1% of whatever it is. Of course, before these negotiations are over, we're going to want to know what the estimated value of the something is. We'll have time for all that as we go.

JaronK
Chance359
Bet its either oricalcum or a powerfull mana site.
JaronK
Something like that. We don't really need to know what it is before we take the job, though a general knowledge would help, enough to purchase relevent knowsofts. Oh well. We'll see.

Raven will likely kick in to gear and discuss money and other details in a bit, but for the moment he'll likely just let every one else do the talking.

JaronK
Number 6
QUOTE (JaronK @ Jun 5 2004, 06:45 PM)
Something like that.  We don't really need to know what it is before we take the job, though a general knowledge would help, enough to purchase relevent knowsofts.  Oh well.  We'll see.

Raven will likely kick in to gear and discuss money and other details in a bit, but for the moment he'll likely just let every one else do the talking.

JaronK

If we're talking a percentage of the take, yeah we do need to know what it is and preferably how much. For all we know this stupid corp wants syrofoam or some other crap worthless to us. Even something considered very valuable can be in effect worthless to us if it's so unique or rare we'll never get near market price, being SINless and all. I think knowing the target is very important. Keep in mind we may also have to move it, again there's a big difference between moving slabs of gold and moving Phoenix feathers.
Beast of Revolutions
I thought the orichalcum all disapeared when the comet left. Is this run taking place during the year of the comet? And it can't be a mana site, because then he would only need to hire mages, and mana sites don't have a market value.
A Rodent of Unusual Size

Considering it's 2061, as clearly indicated in multiple posts, it's well before the Year of the Comet and thus the appearance of natural orichalcum unless TinkerGnome's got some wicked schemes up his sleeve. smile.gif

The most likely candidates are mundane deposits of a hard mineral or heavy metal (especially considering the title of the game), maybe even oil or natural gas, since the Johnson seems to think the current inhabitants are wholly unaware of its existance. Regardless, the immensely generous 1% offer suggests that it's quite nice and profitible in and of itself. Even if it's a long-term extraction/mining operation, an intelligent guess can be made to determine how much of the substance is in the area and a lump sum can be awarded to us as our fee for finding/procuring the location.

We're not being hired to extract/mine the substance. He wants us to go in and confirm the existance of it, no doubt as predicted by satellite images of the region. If the substance is there, we might even then be hired to "encourage" the current owners to sell the land, though that's pure speculation.

Considering the group has both a chemist and an alchemist, determining the presence of whatever the substance is shouldn't be difficult if/when we get to the location. The fact that the Johnson hired both suggests quite a bit, too.
tisoz
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
Why is Skeeter so stupid if he has an intelligence of 4? He have some sort of mental retardation flaw?

Yes, he has a learning disability, but I didn't take points for it. Not that I wouldn't.wink.gif I wanted to take the child stuck in adult body a little further. Think idiot savante. He is expert at a few things, and lost most other places.

He started with an intelligence of 2. I tried doing it at 1, but couldn't get the 1 knowledge and 2 language skills I wanted. So he has very limited knowledge skills, which is what I see as 'smarts'. I did raise his Int to 4 so he would notice things. He has meditation at 4, which is how his teacher is reaching him, cooking at 1 for the heck of it, English at 4 (started at 2), and polish at 2, because everyone says he's a stupid polock (his last name ends in 'ski'.)

I didn't feel like having to do all the things someone with an Intelligence 6-8 should be doing.

If people find it tedious or aren't really enjoying it, I'll back way the frag off, but so far I'm having a blast. I can hardly wait to 'play' with those interesting spirits.smile.gif
Panzergeist
Yes, 1% is a good offer, if he plays honest with us. He just better be honest about what he expects us to find. If it turns out to be Uranium, and we were expecting tin, I'm going to be mighty pissed. I like the offer, but we need to get a little more up front for operating expenses, or else he gives us whatever surveying equipment we might need for free. I have a chemistry kit, but not a shop, and we will need some kind of core drilling machine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012