Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flash Packs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JaronK
The discription in the book is a little vague... are flash packs reusable, or are they a one time deal? And how long do the last?

JaronK
Zephania
I think they're reusable not sure why but I think the description said turn on not detonate or prime to go off.

I tend to fasten it to the outside of a jacket and plug it into a data jack so you can turn it on and off as a free action. Anyone trying to target you has to look at the lovely flashing lights.

I have a friend jury rig the data jack operation.

You might want the player to carry spare batteries but survival strobe loghts are really bright and last for hours ie 500 hours.
Arethusa
I think I vaguely recall seeing a mention, either in a sourcebook or on these forums, that they could be used 10 times, or something. I can't and won't vouch for that, though, and I will say reusability is a completely stupid idea. I mean, really, would you throw your enemies a weapon they can pick up, rearm, and throw right back?
shadd4d
The 10 time thing was in SSC, I believe. I always imagined them to work like the flashes for the old Polaroid Cameras.

Don
Zephania
Who says they need to be thrown? As I said above theres no reason why you can't mount them on things.
GreatChicken
1) Tie pack to really strong rope
2) Throw at enemy
3) Run
4) Detonate
5) Pull rope to retrieve pack

xizor
to save time on pulling the rope back have a little winch thingy, sort of like those dog leashes with a reeling in machine.

or not.
Calvin
I've always wondered why 3rd Edition puts Flash Packs on the Grenade Table.
Luke Hardison
Throwing a flash pack would be a really bad idea. They're directional, guys, and if you throw it you don't know where it will be facing. They're about the size and shape of a pack of cigarettes. (from my memories of the SSC, mine is packed right now) Hide behind a dumpster, set it on top of the dumpster, point it at the bad guys and turn it on. IIRC it listed the batteries as good for 10 "uses", which I have always played as one combat turn. Never said it can't be recharged. I have mounted them on the top or underbarrel mount on an assault rifle before, fun stuff.
xizor
would flash packs have sticky tape or foam on the back?
so you can stick it on a wall or said dumpster or the inside of that poor bikers helmet visor.
Moonstone Spider
Hmm, you could attach a Yo-Yo to a Flashpack.

Yo-Yo:
Whips skill,
Damge: Strength(L) Stun
Reach: 2
Avail: 2/10 minutes
Legality: Legal
Can be used to entangle like a whip.
Hasaku
Yo-Yo: 5 nuyen
1 meter of Detcord: 83 nuyen
The look on some guy's face when he realizes what's wrapped around him: Priceless
Moonstone Spider
Why stop there?

Monofilament Yo-Yo. One on each hand, and just mow down metahumans like a living weed eating.
Fresno Bob
If the yoyo line is made of monowire, what's looped around your finger?
Siege
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
Throwing a flash pack would be a really bad idea. They're directional, guys, and if you throw it you don't know where it will be facing. They're about the size and shape of a pack of cigarettes. (from my memories of the SSC, mine is packed right now) Hide behind a dumpster, set it on top of the dumpster, point it at the bad guys and turn it on. IIRC it listed the batteries as good for 10 "uses", which I have always played as one combat turn. Never said it can't be recharged. I have mounted them on the top or underbarrel mount on an assault rifle before, fun stuff.

Glue a weight to the back and sling it like a discus. Or rig it for an airburst.

grinbig.gif

-Siege
Arethusa
Why not just use a simple flashbang?
Siege
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Why not just use a simple flashbang?

Fah. Too simple.

-Siege
Hasaku
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Why stop there?

Monofilament Yo-Yo. One on each hand, and just mow down metahumans like a living weed eating.

That was my original idea, but a length of monowire has the same availabilty as a monowhip while costing more. Detcord was more reasonable, plus you get to wave the detonator in his face.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Voorhees)
If the yoyo line is made of monowire, what's looped around your finger?

I knew I should have thought of something before throwing that ....
Capt. Dave
[Deleted] due to the joke being way funnier in my head than it was...it's late...
Phaeton
*passes Capt. Dave a root beer for no apparent reason...Other than it's late and Phaeton's generally giddy as all hell.*

I once considered mounting grapple guns on the front of my rigger/sam's bike, but replacing the grapple cable with monowire. Monomolecular lariat, anyone? grinbig.gif
Panzergeist
They are reusable. Non-reusable flashbang grenades are in Cannon Companion.
Capt. Dave
* graciously accepts root beer, Thanks Phaeton, remembers joke, laughs. Then remembers joke's not funny...*

Heh heh, just don't botch that roll, Phaeton.
Phaeton
Another idea was to use normal grapple-cables and use them Batman-style to skitch or turn corners really quickly using streetlights. grinbig.gif
Hasaku
QUOTE (Phaeton)
Another idea was to use normal grapple-cables and use them Batman-style to skitch or turn corners really quickly using streetlights. grinbig.gif

Y'know, I tried that once. For some reason, my heavily armored Bulldog kept going straight. Dunno why people kept asking me if I just got hitched though. Darndest thing.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Hasaku)
QUOTE (Phaeton @ Jun 5 2004, 12:04 AM)

Y'know, I tried that once. For some reason, my heavily armored Bulldog kept going straight. Dunno why people kept asking me if I just got hitched though. Darndest thing.

*rimshot*
JaronK
If I were GMing, I'd allow that move on principle. That, and every time you shot someone near a window, they'd always clutch their stomach and fall out the window.

There's a reason I don't GM often.

JaronK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012