Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 101
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Berzerker
Just saw this on Fanpros site and I was wondering if anyone is planning on going to it? Linkhere.

If anyone is, we should gather all the naggling little questions that get debated endlessly here and send them over to the "experts on hand" to answer. We could hand out bonus points for anyone able to come up with a question that stumps em (and no dikoted ally spirit questions).
Adam
Honestly, if you hang out here, Shadowrun 101 probably won't teach you a single thing that you can't already get from the forums; I'm not sure who's going to be on the SR 101 panel this year, but it's typically Bull, Jon, Pistons, and Rich Tomasso, IIRC.

And of course, here we have the luxury of reference books and the time to look things up and do research. In a panel, not so much. SR101 is really aimed at more intermediate or even beginning SR players.
Mr.Platinum
Personally i think it would be a god thing to go to, you can share ideas with fellow runners face to face ,and have the chance to beat the shit out of some one that flames you in your face. smile.gif
But other words i wish i could go.
Kagetenshi
Maybe someday we'll be able to have Shadowrun 201 and 240 courses. Ooh, or a full course! I wouldn't mind majoring in Rigging…

~J
kryton
I was personally disapointed. I felt there should have been more stippers personally......You can never have too many strippers and loose women at a Con....Or maybe that's a Anime Con....It's all running together.
Number 6
Most seminars qualify for college credit. You could probably take this one as an elective.
Abstruse
I can't go, so someone ask this one for me...DO ATTACK PROGRAMS ROLL COMPUTER SKILL OR ATTACK PROGRAM RATING WHEN ATTACKING?!?!!?! Hell, even Pistons has gotten into debates on that on, and it's kinda an important ruling that could go either way...

The Abstruse One
TinkerGnome
There are good reasons why you'd have them roll rating. Dumb frames being one.
CircuitBoyBlue
I love how I'm from Ohio, and I've never really had anything important to do during the summer, and yet I've never made it to Origins. I swear one of these days I'll scrape up the money to head back home and go, but I'm not sure I believe myself...
Abstruse
I hate being from Southeast Texas...closes big city is Houston and NOTHING happens here. No big comic/RPG/sci-fi cons of any kind. Even the Houston Film Festival is lame. If I want anything remotely cool, I have to go all the way to Austin frown.gif

The Abstruse One
Sahandrian
I live in West Virginia. The biggest gaming event here that I've seen was an 8-person Magic the Gathering tournament. My old D&D DM won it with a Hatred deck. And we're getting TsubasaCon this November, but they don't really seem to have anything there, looking at the website...
eidolon
Ha. You think nothign cool happens where you are?? Try being stuck on this gods-forsaken red dirt covered rock in the middle of the friggin pacific. At least if you had the time off and the money you could DRIVE to something.

Here, if I want to do anything it's a 600+ dollar plane ticket, then hotels, car rentals. Damn I can't wait to get back to the real world.
Grimtooth
I've been going to Origins for the last few years.

I went so a seminar with Mike Mulvhill (sp?). No offense but it basically consisted of a bunch of fanboys sitting around complaining that there wasn't a sourcebook dedicated to Siberia.

I don't play and don't go to seminars.

I go for the vendor's area!!!! The SR booth was cool last year. And the trivia question were a cool idea.

I also assume that Origins will be the place to pick up a coby of SoE before it hits my favorite gaming store.
Adam
QUOTE (Grimtooth)
I went so a seminar with Mike Mulvhill (sp?). No offense but it basically consisted of a bunch of fanboys sitting around complaining that there wasn't a sourcebook dedicated to Siberia.

And that makes it different from the internet... how? wink.gif
Grimtooth
Good one Adam. grinbig.gif

Point taken.
Grimtooth
Actually Adam while you're out here watching this conversation, will anyone be at the booth worthy of an autograph?

I intend on trying to get books signed this year.

I'd like to have Elmore sign my 1st edition book at some point.

Just curious
Adam
I know that Elmore is usually at Gencon and is happy to sign SR stuff, but I don't think FanPro has any special guests at Origins this year. The last couple years at GenCon they've been bringing in some of the German artists such as Klaus S.

A decent number of the authors are at both cons, though.
Pistons
QUOTE (Abstruse)
I can't go, so someone ask this one for me...DO ATTACK PROGRAMS ROLL COMPUTER SKILL OR ATTACK PROGRAM RATING WHEN ATTACKING?!?!!?! Hell, even Pistons has gotten into debates on that on, and it's kinda an important ruling that could go either way...

The Abstruse One

Are you talking about IC, or (for example) Black Hammer? If it's the former, the IC rolls the host's Security Value. (Its own rating comes into play when deckers are resisting the damage it deals out.) If it's the latter, the decker uses both. The program rating subtracts from the host's system operation he's trying to defeat. (Computer skill + Hacking Pool vs. System Operation - Decker's Program Utility Rating.)

Unfortunately, I won't be at either cons this year. Someone else should be covering decking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012