Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Probe Race Winner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Abstruse
I was looking through all my old adventure books since I finally have a group to play with now, working on an order to run the adventures is (I'm starting in 2051, so I figure by the end of the year I should have them caught up to the time line...) However, in reading the end of Wake of the Comet, I noticed FanPro had a little thing for people to fill out and tell how the adventure did in their group to determine who won the Probe Race. Was this ever announced, are they still waiting for ballots, or was the whole idea just scrapped?

The Abstruse One
booklord
I think the writers left it open-ended so people could decide in their own campaigns who won. However in Wake of the Comet I think it came down to a number of final contestants.....

[ Spoiler ]
Backgammon
A lot of the older FASA stuff used to have cards like that in them. They'd use them to help them decide where to go with the metaplot from there. They stopped doing though cause hardly anyone ever sent them in.
Cray74
QUOTE (Backgammon)
A lot of the older FASA stuff used to have cards like that in them. They'd use them to help them decide where to go with the metaplot from there. They stopped doing though cause hardly anyone ever sent them in.

FanPro did this for Battletech recently. A widely held Aerotech-2 tournament ("Trial of Retribution) pitted Da Bears against the Nova Cats, and the outcome (phyrric victory for, IIRC, the Ghost Bears) was turned into canon based on feedback from players about what units they lost.
JongWK
The Probe Race's canon result is still undecided.
Kagetenshi
Who won the probe race? The Shadowrunners, friends, the Shadowrunners.

~J
Snow_Fox
like Jong said, unresolved.

The bigest change those cardsmade was for Dunkelzahn to be elected president. go fig.
Kanada Ten
I'm betting on Ares with the second probe. Reading the adventures, the last has the highest probability of success simply because whichever side ends up with the <spoiler> it will become more about leverage than anything else. Aztechnology, if they get the <spoiler>, would let Ares win the race in exchange for some favor (We demand a Thor shot on these four sites in the Yucatan! Now, white boy!). And I don't see the runners wanting that kind of heat (much higher chance of them stealing the money in the chaos). The Yamatetsu mission has almost a 50/50 chance, but I'd give Ares 75 percent.

Anyone want to take bets?
FlakJacket
I think there was vague talk at one point about doing something to allow for on-line voting but nothing ever happened with that. Besides being a technical nightmare trying to stop people mass-voting for their choice, probably just came to time constraints.

Edit: That reminds me, I'll have to consider sending that in some time. Although I'm not really sure if it's worth it now. :/
Dax
I had always assumed that no one suceeded in the Probe Race. That a combination of Shadowruns, natural mishaps, and the fact that the comet itself seemed to be so unpredicatable ment that every last Probe got taken down.

Course that may be my parinoia talking again....
Connor
We've always played it that Ares won the race. Although we never really did much with it beyond that, as far as what sort of stuff happened afterwards. We also had one of guys save the data from I believe what was left of the Yamatetsu module (it's been a long time, ran it shortly after it came out) or whatever data thing had that mysterious probe shown on it briefly to put up on Shadowland at some point.

Although the Wake of the Comet stuff was run with my group about the time we started falling apart and we haven't played a huge amount of Shadowrun in the intervening time, so none of the repercussions ever got explored.
Shockwave_IIc
i might be getting myself confused, But wasn't there one mention (and only one mind) Of Saeder-Krupp also having a backup Probe???
Snow_Fox
Most of the runs we did around the probes were based on getting stuff up or stopping other people. Bottom line we didn't care if Ares won or SK or McDonalds, as long as we were paid for the runs we did. Heck half the time we didn't know who we were running for and sometimes didn't know who were were against: "Steal that component from that ship and drop it in puget sound"
"make sure he misses his flight, but don't rough him up" (the flight crashed)
Kanada Ten
Ares has officially won the Probe Race!
Tanka
Announcement in SoE, SOTA64 or MJLBB?

<-- Poor college kid, doesn't have any of the new nifty books.
Kanada Ten
SotA64 where it mentions that Yamatetsu may have lost the Probe Race to Ares but it won the race to Mars! That's right, Yamatetsu landed the first manned mission to the Red Planet!
Toa
Yay Yamatetsu! \o/ (I love these guys...)
Kagetenshi
Everyone does. We're meant to. If they don't pull a Universal Brotherhood, I will be quite miffed.

~J
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Everyone does. We're meant to. If they don't pull a Universal Brotherhood, I will be quite miffed.

Well... I did just mention that they landed on the Red Planet, didn't I? When the lead cosmonaut returns as the only living member and rises to Buttercup's right hand man... Then I'll start to worry.

And yes, I said cosmonaut.
FlakJacket
Yeah, I saw that. It's certainly going to open a can of worms regarding Ares' Project Cydonia and the whole Missions/PoaD affair.

And yay cosmonauts. *Cossack dances out of the thread* biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
And since this is vaguely on topic; the Mount Kilimanjaro attack scares the crap out of me. I think it's cool that they are going ahead with the launcher in a multilateral way, but the idea that their "solution" was cheaper than building a mountain makes me shiver. Possibly related, I have to check the dates, but I think the situation with the Salish Tsimshian war just got more complex.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012