Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberdecks & Legality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hp_warcraft
What is the highest legal value for an MPCP in a cyberdeck (assuming no illegal persona programs )?

Why yes, I am establishing my decker's "other identity" - how did you guess? biggrin.gif
Backgammon
Any deck with masking is illegal, so you'd have to put 0 in Masking. Otherwise, I don't think there is a limit.
hp_warcraft
Found it! Matrix pg. 20: " in most locales, the MPCP of a cyberterminal is legally limited to rating 4 or less."
Zeel De Mort
Ouch! MPCP 4 and no Masking. Although you can get permits for them, it seems.

Does it say anywhere which utilities or utility ratings are illegal? Can't find that info..
Cray74
MPCP 4 is the legal limit.
Any level of Masking takes a lot of explaining, if not being outright illegal.
Any level of Evasion is also dubious, though less so than Masking.
Madda_Gaska
Matrix- Pg: 20-21:
Evasion legality: 3P-S
Masking legality: 2-S

I can't find the legality rating for MPCP>4 at the moment, but it does state that "in most locales, the MPCP of a cyberterminal is legally limited to rating 4 or less."
I would assume one could get a standard permit for that though, as having MPCP 8 or 12 still isn't going to make you less detectable by itself (as masking does).
BitBasher
Yeah, but legal cyberecks dont even have a spot for a masking chip. It's easy to tell if a deck is legal or not, and it's pointless to have a rating 12 deck with no chance at masking. You're kind of screwed either way, either the deck is legal or it's not. Why have a rating 12 deck that you have a permit for but cant use for anything illegal because it has no masking?
Traks
You know, even in future admins will want to have the fastest PC's available smile.gif
Of course corps will usually use masking and much nastier stuff, but still...
Cray74
QUOTE (BitBasher)
It's easy to tell if a deck is legal or not,

How's that? One microchip looks like any other.
shadd4d
However, there was something in VR 2.0 stating that a legal MCPC doesn't even have slots for Masking. If there's an empty slot (or two), chances are someone can point the finger and say "that's a cyberdeck."

Don
DigitalMage
QUOTE (shadd4d)
However, there was something in VR 2.0 stating that a legal MCPC doesn't even have slots for Masking. If there's an empty slot (or two), chances are someone can point the finger and say "that's a cyberdeck."

Don

I can't imagine it would be hard for a deckmeister to install a Masking and Evasion chip so that it is not visible form outside (i.e. concealed within the case). It makes it slightly more difficult to swap out, but that won't be happening that often I imagine.
Cray74
QUOTE (shadd4d)

What if the Masking program is burned on the same chip as another persona program?
shadd4d
It states somewhere that they are seperate chips. Your MCPC, as I understand it, has 5 slots: BSME plus icon chip.

Don
Cray74
QUOTE (shadd4d)
It states somewhere that they are seperate chips. Your MCPC, as I understand it, has 5 slots: BSME plus icon chip.

Don

If you can come up with the page citation, I'd appreciate. As it stands, I think the chip burning rules are flexible enough to let you cram several persona programs onto one chip.
hp_warcraft
I assume that any good decker could gut a legal cyberdeck and install the components from their highly illegal "working" deck, but presumably security professionals are going to be able to detect the alterations.

I wanted a completely legal cyberdeck that will contain only information searching
utilities and a Search frame or agent. A lot of my work as a decker is simply compiling background checks on people or places, and I can compile a preliminary report from entirely legal sources. When I need better info, I can arrange with my team for a safe jackpoint and bring out the 'big guns', but when I'm legally staying at a nice, secure hotel under a fake SIN I don't want compromised, why wander around with a million + nuyen of illegal matrixware? eek.gif
Madda_Gaska
Matrix, Pg: 167 lists a set of actual cyberterminals. They run with Cold ASIST, no masking, no evasion, thus are fully legal. They weigh in at 1,300-7,500 nuyen. Slot a browse 6 and a frame/agent on there, and you have a cheap, legal searching method.

Alternative: If it's a luxury hotel, SSG, pg: 121 suggests that public dataterms in A and AA areas may well have low end cyberterminals. You may be able to take an optical disc in with your utilities, and search to your heart's content on a 'free' (cost of calls not included) cyberterminal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012