Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extra super-happy fun add-ons!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dissonance
Quick questions.

1) Are hardpoints and firmpoints just there? Like, are they there in a shroedinger's cat sort of state until I put in a turret? Or are the something I have to actually purchase?

2) What sort of stuff comes standard with sensors? Thermographic, flare compensation, low light, ultrasonic, what?

3) What's the weapon value for a flamethrower? I'm working on a VTOL drone used for operations in South America and Africa.

4) Are cranial decks _supposed_ to suck? Or am I just not looking at them right?
kevyn668
Heh. You referenced Shroedinger's Cat. nyahnyah.gif Awsome.

Anyway, I don't have my books handy at the momemt (there should be a smile for that and a smile for "I'm too damn lazy to look it up so I'll say I don't have my books around.") but some one will be along shortly to post page numbers. All of your answers are published.
Modesitt
1. Firmpoints and Hardpoints are Just There until you install a turret. They're meant to represent how many guns you can hypothetically add to a vehicle in various ways.

2. Pg 135 BBB, left column, under the heading "System Components And Sensor Ratings"

3. For the Shiawese blazer, the description explicitly says it's built from an SMG. Treat it as one for mounting purposes. For the other, fuck if I know. It's never stated anywhere. It's unconcealable, I'd say treat it as an LMG or MMG. Flip a coin.

4. They're supposed to suck. The only way to really use one is to get a cyberleg, install a signal amp, and wire them up. Otherwise, they're only useful for James Bond-esque things like going into the bathroom, dropping a spider drone and scoping the area out.
TinkerGnome
The cyberdeck in a cyberleg ideal keeps coming around... but remember that built in devices cost 4x as much as regular devices. Check with your GM to see if you can't get a discount if you want to go that route.
shadd4d
Why not just deal with trying to be a supersubscriber on a normal deck? Sure it's not the best option, but it's better than nothing.

Don
Dissonance
BBB? What book is that? The other info is very much helpful, though. It makes me feel all sorts of tingly.

As for the cranial, I think I'll pass on that. I can get an external with all sorts of goodies for a fraction of the price and no essence. And then dance without pants.
Kerrygold
BBB means Big Black Book aka the Core Rule Book

Kerrygold
Dissonance
I never noticed it was black. I'm always boggling at the weird looking dwarf on the cover.
Herald of Verjigorm
It's not black (well, there is a little black), but some special printing was significantly blacker and thus the name was founded.
Dissonance
Thankee for the clarification. Helpfulness... to the max! I'll go look it up right now.
Misfit Toy
Built-In Device only applies when building a deck into the limb. If just storing one in a limb (at which point its removable, making it superior in all ways) it doesn't cost anything extra. The only thing you need to do is add a datajack to the leg to plug it into, and state that the jack is inside the storage area.
Dissonance
Actually, the leg thing is kind of moot. I don't want to spend the cash on one, and I don't really have the essence to have it. And I don't want fake breasts to put my VCR in.

EDIT: Which don't really need essence, really. Unless I want to cybernetically control them.

Which I might.
TinkerGnome
Depends on how you look at it... I don't think a regular cyberdeck fits into a limb very well. It's not shaped for it (you might be able to get away with it if you're a troll). If you had one custom built, it might work, but that carries its own burdens.
Cain
I assume you mean crainal *cyberdecks* and not Remote-control decks?

Crainal cyberdecks do tend to suck. Their only advantage is total concealability; you can't really distinguish them from other headware. In theory, you can find and remove a deck hidden in a cyberleg.

CRD's have one huge advantage over an external deck or one in a cyberleg, and that's the fact they can use the Server system.
Nikoli
And a decker can provide his own protection while on a run with a craniel remote deck. a few dobermans or lynx's and the appropriate weaponty and your decker is safe as a bug in a rug (who happens to be surrounded by heavily armored and armed drones)
Liquid_Obsidian
CRD + VCR + Cranial cyberdeck ... What kind of fellah is the guy ? seems possible only if the Cyber is from radioshack... or that you pissed off the wrong , wrong kind of people...
Vlad the Bad
Imagine if stuffershacks started out as radioshacks but then they added food to the selves (... to stay competative?)
Misfit Toy
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Depends on how you look at it... I don't think a regular cyberdeck fits into a limb very well. It's not shaped for it (you might be able to get away with it if you're a troll). If you had one custom built, it might work, but that carries its own burdens.

The ECU sizes listed in M&M are for storage purposes. Whether or not their realistic is a moot point (especially when compared with the CF conversion rules), but by the rules a cyberdeck can easily fit inside an obvious arm. Personally I assume you still take 'em out of their casing when you put them in, but that's just my rationalization for it.
Luke Hardison
Doesn't the BBB or Matrix mention that many cyberdecks are DNI-only, with no keyboard, and that those machines are frequently no larger than a CD Case?

Dunno about you, but a CD case will certainly fit into the dimensions of my arm easily, and even easier for my leg.

*scuttles off to verify*
TinkerGnome
The only references I've seen for cyberdeck size are along the lines of an "oversized keyboard". If I had a player want to do the leg thing and he had the B/R skills to break the casing down and install it in the limb, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The casing itself is the problem, I guess, not the parts inside.
Xirces
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
The only references I've seen for cyberdeck size are along the lines of an "oversized keyboard". If I had a player want to do the leg thing and he had the B/R skills to break the casing down and install it in the limb, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The casing itself is the problem, I guess, not the parts inside.

Which makes the quadruple price tag even more absurd...

Remove the 2000Y case from the 200,000Y deck and try to fit it in a cyberleg and it costs 800,000Y.

That's the way that electronics work IRL. Hell, I could it my laptop inside my leg if I didn't have to be constrained by the dimensions of the case. (and of course, if I had a hollow leg, which I don't). Stick the deck in the leg with a DNI control and you're set.
TinkerGnome
You wouldn't be able to take the deck in and out of the leg at will, though. I mean, you could, but without a case or an oddly modified case, it wouldn't likely be a good idea.
Xirces
Can't remember from the top of my head, but can legs or arms have the quick release or is that hands and feet only..?
Dax
...I just got this image in my head of someone quick detatching a cyberleg and beating someone over the head with it.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Dax)
...I just got this image in my head of someone quick detatching a cyberleg and beating someone over the head with it.

Or being beaten with their own leg. biggrin.gif

I'd link to choppingblock.org, except I can't specifically remember which strip it was. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012