Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paraplegic and Animate Object
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
theartthief
I tried to search on this but kept getting error messages.

Could a paraplegic mage control his own body with animate object?

I have two thoughts on this:

1) The paraplegic flaw says that it can't be fixed by magic and that's that.

2) Sure, why not. If it can move a solid statue why not a person who is infinately better designed to bend? Just throw in some +2 (+4?) TN and a quickness check now and again since the mage would actually be moving the clothing and not the the person.

Thoughts?

- theartthief
Phaeton
...Why not just use Levitate?
Cursedsoul
Because a floating cripple will scare the bejeezus out of Normie McNormalson. biggrin.gif

"Say Al, is that Stephen Hawkings floating in mid-air?"
"Why yes it is."
"Do you want to panic or should I?"
theartthief
Well, I was going more for the walk around and drink a glass of water with friends type thing.

- theartthief
Cursedsoul
You need to gain the fine motor reflexes that the brain is capable of.

Perhaps you could use magic to create a temporary pathway for the neurons to send their impulses to, because doesn't parapalegic mean you simply lost the connecting nerves and can't re-grow them?

While it can't be FIXED with magic, it doesn't say it can't be REPLICATED so I'd say sure its possible. Probably let you walk around in a somewhat jerky manner until you get really used to it, but then it'd be fine with friends and family.

Under stressful situations like a troll charging you with a dikoted halberd, you're not going to be able to do that and do other things I'd say, so you better have a wheelchair under your ass.

Honestly I say just hire out a troll to carry you piggy back.

Hell, you can probably get a blind, mute troll for like, half price and then pay for a seeing-eye midget with the fiscal gain. grinbig.gif
Madda_Gaska
Why not just pay for the world's strongest night one (brown haired only need apply) with a problem causing excessive hair growth?

Of course, you'd then have to paint/bioware yourself golden and act like an idiot, but it can't be ruled out.
Phaeton
And you also need a physmage/psionicist with a Laserblade spell anchor and blonde hair. grinbig.gif
shadd4d
QUOTE (theartthief)
I tried to search on this but kept getting error messages.

Could a paraplegic mage control his own body with animate object?

I have two thoughts on this:

1) The paraplegic flaw says that it can't be fixed by magic and that's that.

2) Sure, why not. If it can move a solid statue why not a person who is infinately better designed to bend? Just throw in some +2 (+4?) TN and a quickness check now and again since the mage would actually be moving the clothing and not the the person.

Thoughts?

- theartthief

You're forgetting the "object" part. While a paraplegic may be an object, it doesn't qualify as an inanimate object per the spell description.

Don
Kanada Ten
Animate Body (Manipulation)
Physical - Caster Only - 4/6 - Sustained - +2(L)
Every two successes grants one point of Quickness and Strength to the caster's immobile limbs up to the Force. The spell's threshold is 1/2 Body. The target number is 4 for paraplegics and 6 for quadriplegics.
Ancient History
Boys and girls, what is wrong with the Levitate spell? Seriously. If you're a parapalegic or, Gnu forbid, a quadripalegic, then your limbs are pretty much crap anyways. They'd never support you. So you might as well levitate.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Cursedsoul)
Because a floating cripple will scare the bejeezus out of Normie McNormalson. biggrin.gif

"Why yes it is."

That's why, AH. biggrin.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Cursedsoul)
"Why yes it is."

rotfl.gif That's the best laugh I've had all day! rotfl.gif

Thanks cyber.gif
Thistledown
A friend had a character who used levitate and magic fingers for his quadrapalegic monkey shaman. Had them both on sustaining focuses that he cast every morning.

Did use animate to make a train's caboose dance a jig with guards inside though.
Frag-o Delux
Why would anyone panic more over a crippled levitateing? Is it because they know he has 2 or 4 extra build points and there fore might know another spell all the other levitateing mages might not know?
Modesitt
If you think pigs flying is bad news, just imagine how bad of news a flying cripple is. You see a cripple flying, you're going to start getting flashbacks to all those times you said "When pigs fly". If there are CRIPPLES flying, there's probably a flying pig somewhere too.
Zazen
QUOTE (theartthief)
Just throw in some +2 (+4?) TN and a quickness check now and again since the mage would actually be moving the clothing and not the the person.

I bet that's real comfortable, being picked up by your underwear.
Misfit Toy
I don't understand why some of you are assuming Magic Fingers won't work. It should work just fine. It would effectively give your legs a Strength and Quickness equal to the number of successes of the spell, up to the force of the spell, and in exchange you have to concentrate to walk (and requiring a Quickness Test with a +2 modifier).

Just make it Caster Only or something and call it Magic Legs and you're set. No new spells or rules required.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (theartthief @ Jun 18 2004, 02:40 PM)
Just throw in some +2 (+4?) TN and a quickness check now and again since the mage would actually be moving the clothing and not the the person.

I bet that's real comfortable, being picked up by your underwear.

TELEKINETIC WEDGIE!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012