Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Image Link = Heads Up Display?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FXcalibur
Hi guys. I plan on making a semi-serious delusional character who's addicted to trideo games and has enough innate skill to run the shadows to stay up to date with the latest in games and game tech, as well as paying enough to get the older games. He plans to retire as a collector one day if his luck doesn't run out.

Anyway, I was wondering, it would be nice if he had an actual HUD like from FPS games. So far the Image link looks cool for this; I could get him a biomonitor and (somehow) rig his armour to show a Health/Armour gauge and then install a smartlink II so he'd have a gun selected/ammo count thingy in his HUD. And then cybereye mods like image mag and low light and the other typical eye mods.

Anyone else got any ideas for ware that could go with him, or would help with making a complete HUD with his image link?
Kagetenshi
Internal GPS and whatever that mapping implant was for a mini-map (expandable to an area map).

~J
Madda_Gaska
Spatial recogniser plus ultrasound gear to enhance it (and anything like that combination), thus allowing his HUD to provide a flash of colour (or whatever) in whatever direction it detected sound.

Laser eye mic- put subtitles on the conversation behind the window you are looking at.

Orientation system- overlays map on his vision, with objectives if the map data holds that.

Possibly a reflex recorder for the 'special combo attack' or something.

You might consider getting him some personafixes- "For this run I am... Harvard Dublanc- special agent. Nerves of steel, sets himself against the evil plans of the Tir at every oppurtunity!"
Modesitt
I've always ruled(And had GMs rule) that if you have an image link, you can have it overlay things onto your vision. Make sure your GM believes that the Image Link covers everything the display link does.

-Internal Biomonitor system. Wire it up to your Image lin and you have up to the second health status. Later, you may want to upgrade to a nanotech one.

-Autoinjectors are your friends. Load it up with Stim patches and be programmed to shoot you up whenever your biomonitor says so. Program that to inject you with them anytime you hit Serious Stun.

-Pain Editor. It's just a flesh wound, sarge. How many video game characters are slowed down by their wounds? Few of them. They can keep fighting right up until to the last breath. You'll also want the High Pain Threshold merit applied to Physical wounds because the pain editor still applies those penalties secretly. Damage compensators may also do the trick.
Phaeton
And if you want to go for the I-can-regenerate-my-health effect, a la Red Faction II, grab some symbiotes, as well. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
You'll also want a Compulsion to use all medkits as soon as you walk over them instead of saving them.

For gear: some brass knuckles, a pistol, a shotgun, a bigger shotgun, a SMG, a chaingun that fires the same ammo as the pistol and SMG, a grenade launcher, a rocket launcher (bonus points if it fires the same ammo as the GL), a man-portable railgun (heavy laser weapons might work), and a giant, lethal übertaser.

~J
Phaeton
Ambidexterity-8. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
to rig a armor so that you can get an idea of damage you set it up with a wire or fiberoptic net so that as links are broken by incomeing bullets you can estimate how good the armor is doing (and at the same time get a nice readout on where the hell that wound is smile.gif )

Zazen
You'll need a helmet with a camera pointed at your face, too. That way you can pump the feed into your image link and see your face getting bloody, getting angry when hit, happy when acquiring guns, etc.
GreatChicken
...We can't possibly leave out the 'weapons aquired' HUD display. This may require knowsofts.

May have to increase the character's carrying capacity too. Most FPS characters are amazingly overloaded.... spin.gif
Cursedsoul
Well OBVIOUSLY FPS heros come with a standard issue bag of holding. Didn't you get the memo? biggrin.gif
Phaeton
And don't forget to take a crowbar as your default melee weapon! grinbig.gif
Zazen
This thread reminds me of an old tasteless joke. Good stuff.
Crimsondude 2.0
That is f-ing hilarious.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Phaeton)

Psht. You must learn to rely on your own flesh and bone. For when your Fusion Pistol is out of service, y'know?

~J
Person 404
Indeed. It's all about the Fist. Or maybe the Akimbo Fists, if you're feeling frisky.
Kagetenshi
The interesting thing about akimbo fists is that it doesn't actually increase your ROF. It's good for hitting slightly off-center targets, though, and makes you feel more balanced.

~J
GreatChicken
The interesting thing about akimbo fists is that it doesn't actually increase your ROF. It's good for hitting slightly off-center targets, though, and makes you feel more balanced.

Duke Nukem can Akimbo KICK.
simonw2000
QUOTE (Phaeton)

Is that from Deus Ex?
FXcalibur
Is that from Deus Ex?

It's more Half Life than Deus Ex.
simonw2000
Here's what I think makes sense.
  • Datajack (Anyone who forgets this is a moron)
  • Smartlink-2 (ditto)
  • Cybereyes with Image Link, Low-light, Thermo and Flare Comp
  • Boosted Reflexes
  • Muscle Augmentation and Toner
  • Telephone
  • Enhanced Articulation
  • Biomonitor
  • Autoinjectors
  • Router (Who forgot this?)
  • Internal GPS
  • Orientation System
hobgoblin
in deus ex you had a crowbar, knife, cattle prod, riot stick (or whatever you will call that extending stick of beating), sword, nanotech sword. i think that was it for weapons used for close combat. on top of that you had x number of diffrent ranged weapons (includeing a 1 shot plasma gun the size of a zippo!)
Kagetenshi
Don't forget to train carefully to keep your crosshair perfectly in the center of your vision and to aim by turning your body.

~J
CoalHeart
just a few more things

A: You need a sound effects generator that you have external speakers for. So everyone can hear your footsteps and or grunts of pain and or glory. So you can think a thought and the voice of the character saying his witty one liner just as you pound a shotgun sluginto their face.

2: You need a chainsaw and or brasss knukles and or a hooked crowbar

III: You most definately need a tiny camera drone to follow you around for a 3rd person view and to also catch all your glory on datachip for bragging rights with alll your elite gamer pals. If no one sees you score a frag.... it never counts.
Orient
Maybe some sort of small (internal?) computer that's cyber-controlled. If it's wired to your Image Link you can use it to bring up an 'Inventory' screen of all the items that you're carrying.

For the *really* silly, get two more things - a cyber-controlled DocWagon beacon linked to a Gold/Platinum contract, and an auto-injector filled with poison. That way, if you're in a tight spot you can bring up a 'Save/Quit' screen.
Liquid_Obsidian
and bring a eraser as a hex editor nah ? wink.gif
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Orient)
a cyber-controlled DocWagon beacon linked to a Gold/Platinum contract, and an auto-injector filled with poison. That way, if you're in a tight spot you can bring up a 'Save/Quit' screen.

This makes me to laugh.
Cursedsoul
Get a flying drone with a camera for an overhead/isometric camera view.

Perhaps make it radio controlled to move positions?

What about having your character make an experience chart and when he goes up a level you play some sort of cheesy level up music and have an equally cheesy level up animation to go along with it?

Victory in battle theme? Running away sfx? Town music? Boss music? Travelling music? Sappy love music?

You also need to have a best friend who's just as into this as you, but he's the villain you have to chase around.

He could randomly appear like Protoman, play a Protoman-ish theme and you two have a staring contest before he mysteriously vanishes.
GreatChicken
What about having your character make an experience chart and when he goes up a level you play some sort of cheesy level up music and have an equally cheesy level up animation to go along with it?

Victory in battle theme? Running away sfx? Town music? Boss music? Travelling music? Sappy love music?

You also need to have a best friend who's just as into this as you, but he's the villain you have to chase around.

He could randomly appear like Protoman, play a Protoman-ish theme and you two have a staring contest before he mysteriously vanishes.

Dude...those a RPG cliches, not FPS cliches. sleepy.gif
Although making one of these will be fun. He'll have Hobbies:20th Century RPGs at 6, and he'll have a preprogrammed display of the current Shadowrun character sheet his player is holding. He'll know EXACTLY how much karma he has. And he'll actually refer to them as Karma. And points. And edges. And Flaws. cool.gif
simonw2000
QUOTE (Modesitt)
I've always ruled(And had GMs rule) that if you have an image link, you can have it overlay things onto your vision. Make sure your GM believes that the Image Link covers everything the display link does.

By canon it does. I'll get the reference up soon.
Misfit Toy
The Image Link is just an advanced Display Link that can handle colors and graphics. Likewise, why wouldn't it overlay images onto your vision when that's exactly what it does? What kind of GM would rule otherwise when that's all in the bloomin' description? smile.gif
Young Freud
QUOTE (simonw2000)
Here's what I think makes sense.
  • Datajack (Anyone who forgets this is a moron)
  • Smartlink-2 (ditto)
  • Cybereyes with Image Link, Low-light, Thermo and Flare Comp
  • Boosted Reflexes
  • Muscle Augmentation and Toner
  • Telephone
  • Enhanced Articulation
  • Biomonitor
  • Autoinjectors
  • Router (Who forgot this?)
  • Internal GPS
  • Orientation System

I'd make the Smartlink a regular old Smartlink-1, as SM-2 also aids in indirect fire weapons, and most FPS I know give you no help with indirect weapons grenades and GLs. The SM-1 should give you what you need for a recticle and that's it.

Remove Flare Comp, as too many FPS games I've played make it very easily to blinded by flash, especially the muzzle flash from your own weapons.
Kagetenshi
Avara gave you the exact grenade impact location (special crosshair on the ground), but otherwise SL2 is probably excessive.

If you're going full DOOM-style, drop the vision enhancements altogether. There were some pitch black sections in that game.

~J
Cursedsoul
I was thinking of Deus Ex which is an RPG/FPS hybrid when I was thinking of the experience charts so nyah. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Well, Deus Ex had neither levels nor music and animation for advancement, nor did it have bosses or cheesy love scenes or anything else in that post, so nyah. nyahnyah.gif

~J
GreatChicken
If you're going full DOOM-style, drop the vision enhancements altogether. There were some pitch black sections in that game.

Also should have Compulsion: Believes He Can't Jump and every weapon has an automatic shot trajectory corrector. wobble.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012