Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Examples of Matrix Runs!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nephyte
I shot Synner an Email, asking him if I could pick-up on what he was doing with the "Idiot's Guide to the Matrix" (Hereafter IGTTM) thread and he kindly said he had no problems with it. What I'm in particular looking for is someone who has never played a decker before but has always been interested in what they do. Wether that be a GM who needs some experience in playing, or a player whose just never gone over the rules before and would like to make sure they are familiar with them.

If you'd like to be my assistant (or Adversary heheh eek.gif) for this, please shoot me a PM. In any case, you can build a decker using the Point Build, Priority, or Sum-to-Ten system. No Edges/Flaws. Simply not fair to let you take flaws when they'll never generally be a part of the example. Just wait for me to say "Go ahead" in a PM before posting the character.

About Posting: So that the thread is as easy to read for those viewing it for educational purposes, I'd like to use color coding.

All GM Matrix related text.
All Player interactions text.
All Dice Rolls, and out of game explanations to viewers by player
[ Spoiler ]
Kanada Ten
I'd really like it better if you didn't use colors too much. Even more, Blue is nearly invisible. This maybe only for me, but other than white, these are the easier colors to read:
  • Yellow This is a simple color test. If any of the words are hard to read, give us a shout!
  • Orange This is a simple color test. If any of the words are hard to read, give us a shout!
  • Cyan This is a simple color test. If any of the words are hard to read, give us a shout!
TinkerGnome
Yeah, yellow, orange, and cyan are the colors of choice for most people. Red and blue are hard on the eyes.
danzig138
The red isn't too bad, but the blue makes me feel like I've dropped a hit, and I haven't done that in years.
JaronK
Though for the colorblind folks, cyan can be hard to differenciate.

JaronK
Gigapulse
Nephyte, I just PM you.

-Gig
Gigapulse
Where do I put the Character???

-Gig
Gigapulse
Ok Here is the Character:
B 4
Q 6
S 3
C 4
I 6
W 6
E 4
Reaction 6( 8 ) +2(pure DNI)
Initiadive 1d6(2d6) +1d6 (pure DNI)
Hacking Pool: 9
Task Pool:2

Skills:
Active
Computer/Decking [5/7]
Computer B/R [5]
Electronics B/R [5]
Etiquette/Matrix [4/6]
Submachine Guns [4]
Stealth/Sneaking [2/4]
Negotiation [5]

Knowledge
SF:Cellular Network Familiarity(KNO) [5]
SF:Chokepoint Familiarity(KNO) [4]
SF:Communication Satellite Familiarity(KNO) [4]
SF:Security Network Familiarity(KNO) [6]
AC:Engineering(KNO) [3]
SW:Data Havens(KNO) [2]
SW:Matrix Topography(KNO) [3]
SW:Matrix Security Procedures(KNO) [3]
English(LAN)/Deckerese [5/7]
English(LAN) (RW) [2]
Chinese(LAN) [3]
Chinese(LAN) (RW) [1]

Cyberware:
Datajack E:0,20

Encephalon [2] E:1,50 mm.20|+2 Hacking Pool, +2 Task Pool, +2Int for learning new skills

Math SPU [3] E:0,20 mm.21|+3 Hacking Pool, Complementary Math Skill (6), stopwatch, alarm clock, chronometer

Deck: CMT Avatar
MPCP-7/4/5/7/5
Hardening 4
Active Memory 2000 (upgraded)
Storage Memory 2800 (upgraded)
I/O speed 700 (upgraded)
Response Increase 1
Detection Factor: 6

Utilities
Analyze Rating [6] (108)
Browse Rating [6] (36)
Deception Rating [6] (72)
Decrypt Rating [6] (36)
Read/Write Rating [6] (72)
Relocate Rating [6] (72)
Spoof Rating [6] (108)
Sleaze Rating [5] (75)
Attack Deadly Rating [6] (180)
Armor Rating [6] (108)
Cloak Rating [6] (108)
Medic Rating [6] (144)

I used the NSRCG. Let me know if something needs to be changed. Questions? comments?
Dissonance
I think your avatar and programs might need changed. Sure, the avail fits, but the rating doesn't. Of course, I could be wrong.
Kanada Ten
Dissonance, the MPCP rating violates the Rating rule as far as I can tell. The archetype combat decker come with an Avatar and starting with less than that is a serious hampering to a decker. But that is a GM's call.
Camouflage
Any official decker char I remember since 2nd Ed BBB had a cyberdeck with a MPCP >6. It's a common house-rule to allow an 8/6/6/6/6-deck for beginning deckers.
Misfit Toy
The "MPCP rating violation" isn't anymore a violation than a vehicle with a Speed, Acceleration, Load, or CF rating of 7+. The rating limitation is in effect for equipment that actually comes in ratings, not MPCP, not Speed, and not Force (though spells have a similar ruling specifically for them).

A rating 8 utility is illegal, yes. A cyberdeck with an MPCP of 8 isn't.
UnsungRequiem
Why does it matter if he has a MPCP 7 deck? If Fanpro/FASA didn't want players with decks higher than 6 they would have covered it in errata or corrected the offending sample character.........
Nephyte
As far as I can tell:

A) Decks MPCP's aren't governed by the rating qualifier, just the availability one. Same goes for there Persona programs which are limited by the MPCP. That's just my call going by the example character in the BBB.

B) Programs are indeed limited by ratings. It's touchy wether or not Persona programs (BEMS) are governed by the rating 6 limit. I'm tempted to let them just be governed by the MPCP as they aren't technically purchased but rather an intergral part of the deck.

C) Cultured Bioware (including that Bioware that *only* comes as cultured) is not allowed on a starting character.

D) Programs are limited to the 6 rating hardcap.

E) The Task Pool from the Encephalon is converted to Hacking Pool WHEN Hacking, thus don't stack Hacking Pool/Task pool from the Encephalon when hacking. (A matter or record keeping to keep in mind)
Gigapulse
SHould I remove the Bioware. I took it because you recomended it on the PM

-Gig
Nephyte
You probably should, I was really just going from pure memory at the time, and hadn't consulted my books. Deepest apologies for that.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nephyte)
C) Cultured Bioware (including that Bioware that *only* comes as cultured) is not allowed on a starting character.

Feel free to rule this way in your games, but it's not true.

~J
Misfit Toy
Apparently according to the latest print of Man & Machine, it is.
Kagetenshi
It's offered as a suggestion.

~J
Nephyte
Can a character purchase bioware at character creation? What about cultured bioware? Nanoware?
Generally, this is the gamemaster's call, based upon how available s/he wants to make such gear in his or her game. We recommend to sticking to the Availability rule (no character can start the game with any gear with an Availability higher than cool.gif.
If you want an official call, then the answer is that all basic bioware with an Availability of 8 or less is available at character creation. Cultured bioware and nanoware are not, since they require the equivalent of a beta-clinic to implant.

Sounds like a FanPro ruling to me.
Gigapulse
Ok everything is fixed now.

-Gig
tisoz
QUOTE (Nephyte @ Jun 25 2004, 02:23 AM)
Can a character purchase bioware at character creation? What about cultured bioware? Nanoware?
Generally, this is the gamemaster's call, based upon how available s/he wants to make such gear in his or her game. We recommend to sticking to the Availability rule (no character can start the game with any gear with an Availability higher than 8 ).
If you want an official call, then the answer is that all basic bioware with an Availability of 8 or less is available at character creation. Cultured bioware and nanoware are not, since they require the equivalent of a beta-clinic to implant.

Sounds like a FanPro ruling to me.

Other than the very last line it sounds like it is. So even this FAQ (not errata) is still straddling the fence.

If you check the effect of the availability modifier, it sounds like less than a delta clinic is needed anyway, so there is some arguement about the validity of the last line, too. I tend to let it in, because there is nothing game breaking by doing so. I really don't understand the guys who want to exclude it, but it is their game so they may do as they please. Just don't force your view on me.

Now back to the example, please!

edit: long argument over cultured bioware I will not get into.
Gigapulse
bump
Abstruse
Cultured Bioware requires a Beta clinic at minimum. Beta clinics = not available at CharGen. Straight rules interpretation (including the one for Missions BTW) says no Cultured Bioware at chargen. Again, in your games you can allow whatever you want. I allow characters in my game to start with one item Avail over 8 because it's no fun playing a sniper without a sniper rifle. Like any RPG, the GM has final call, but it's been considered "official" that you can't start with cultured bio.

The Abstruse One
Thanos007
How about we take the character as is and get on with the run. Assume that the character has been doing there job for a while and get over it.

Thanos
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Abstruse)
Cultured Bioware requires a Beta clinic at minimum. Beta clinics = not available at CharGen.

By strict interpretation, even this isn't true. You can get your 'ware implanted at an über-Delta clinic, as long as none of it is better than Alpha grade.

~J
hp_warcraft
Not a bad decker for a how-to matrix thread, but for real play the sample character is sadly lacking in any programming skills let alone cyberterminal construction skills.

If you want to go through life relying on buying what you need to deck, that is an option, but it will make your decking life very difficult. Not only are you at the mercy of your deckmiester and whomever cooked up your programs, but paying for upgrades and SOTA will bankrupt you quicker than Enron stock.

The ability to design handy little command sets and on the fly programs is a godsend for your decker, and being able to upgrade your own programs and utilities and add things like the stealth option to your deception program is far better than the occasional lower target number for having a familiarity knowledge skill.
mfb
those looking for more decking examples might be interested in these pages, which detail the in-character (first link) and out-of-character (second link) doings of an otaku doing a 'trix run. two runs, actually. start in the archive (see the link at the bottom of the header section on each page) for the older posts.
Thanos007
@ hp warcraft. I don't think this thread is all about everything a decker can do. It's just about a matrix run. To show everyone how the rules work. I say enough haggling. On with the show.

Thanos
Nephyte
Sorry, getting on this tonight. Had a family medical problem that was keeping me away from home except for very very short periods of time to make sure my dog was being looked after and to change the clothing sets in my overnight bag.
Gigapulse
Sorry, getting on this tonight. Had a family medical problem that was keeping me away from home except for very very short periods of time to make sure my dog was being looked after and to change the clothing sets in my overnight bag.

No problem.

I'm ready to start.

-Gig
Nephyte
Sorry for the late start, but let's get the show on the road. This is initially taking place right after you've accepted the Matrix Run. While the Nuyen and other specifics aren't terribly important, we'll assume that the price is something your character would accept within the specified dynamics of the campaign. (By the way, We'll use K-10's color scheme as it is much nicer on the eyes then my original was.)

Primary Colors has been given the task of penetrating a corporate system for Corsaire Arms Electronics, based in the PCC. The task includes penetrating the system and copying several files. Simple, yet elegance is expected. The system is described as manageable for someone talented. You've been provided with the information that Corsaire Arms Electronics maintains it's node(s) seperately from it's parent company.

{edit} Primary Colors has been told to look for files concerning the development of new Captains Chair Rigging Protocols, Enhanced User Feedback. In addition, you'll be rewarded for any other files concerning Rigging Security Software and Hardware developments.

Gigapulse

Primary Colors has found a quiet place in a long forgoten wharehouse near the Tacoma docks, where he can work away from curious eyes. Inside the warehouse he found a while ago a still functional jackpoint. He takes out his deck from his case and connects one of its fiber-optic lines to the jackpoint. With a deep breath he jacks the other plug in the datajack in his temple and turns on his cyeberdeck. The world in front of him is imediately replaced by the digital world.

Here he looks like a sketch that redraws itself as it moves on. First things first. He does a log-on to LTG operation.

Here, I think I have to make a log-on to LTG operation. So I take my 7 decking skill dice + 9 hacking pool + 2 task pool = 18 vs a TN - 6(deception program). I roll and I get: 3,4,9,5,7,2,5,1,5,1,13.
I think that the type of jackpoint is a Ilegal Jackpoint, Access Modifier : +0, Trace Modifier: +0, I/O Speed: 300, Base Bandwith: 20.

[Edited] The total dice I rol is 18 not 11. I forgot to add my decking skill before. Ouch. asume the rolls missing are all 1's.
Gigapulse

I'll move on until the PLTG as Nephyte ask me to.
I'm not sure about this but I recall that all the LTG under the same RTG have the same System Ratings so...Seattle RTG is Green-5 6/9/6/6/ (Matrix page 160)meaning I scored 9 successes. Now I think the system has to roll 5 dice against my detection factor (6) and tally any successes.

The sketchy figure starts a simple search regarding the Corsaire Arms Electronics Acess Node. Since he only knows the name of the company the search will be a bit longer. He pulls out a hugh pensil and draws a little hound in back & white. Then he says,"Go and fetch me the Corsaire Arms Electronics Access Node boy." Instantly the dog disappears smelling his surrounding following a lead.

OK, to do a search I again roll all my dice (18) against a tn of 6(+1) - Browse(6) = 1 actually a TN of 2. The +1 to the subsystem rating is because I just gave loose parameter for the search. Check page 227 of BBB if you have any doubts under Locate Access Node. Here's what I get on my roll: 25,3,1,4,3,3,4,4,1,5,5 for a total of 9 Successes. Here The system rolls 5 dice again against my detection factor of 6

In a blink of an eye the hound is back with something in his mouth. Primary Colors calls him."Here boy....good boy." The hound drops something like an old newspaper in front of him. The decker pets the hound and sends him home. Now with the addy at hand he goes to the RTG Access Node and tries to get inside the virtual space needle disguising as an authorized user. He redraws himself to look alike and tries to get past the doors.

Now I have to do a Log on to RTG operation the TN is 2 6 - Deception(6) = 0 but the minimun is 2 so....I do the roll and get:2,5,2,7,9,1,1,5,2,10,5 9 successes again. Here the RTG system rolls 5 dice against my DF of 6.

Once inside the virtual space needle, Primary colors heads for the eye and arrives to a empty circular room with impossible windows depicting all of seattle LTG's and RTG around the world. The decker looks at the addy the hound found and touches the specified window trying to enter.

Now I have to do a Log on to LTG operation the TN is 2 6 - Deception(6) = 0 but the minimun is 2 so....I do the roll and get:4,1,3,9,4,2,7,8,5,3,10 10 successes again. Here the LTG system rolls 5 dice against my DF of 6.

finally in the correct LTG Primary COlors head straight for the Access Node of Corsaire Arms Electronics and scans around before entering.

Nephyte, I need a desc of what it looks like. Comments? did I did everything right? Let me know what stuff needs to be edited.

[Edited] The total dice I rol is 18 not 11. I forgot to add my decking skill before. Ouch. Asume the rolls missing are all 1's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012