Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BECKS?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
I keep hearing about an alternative CharGen system. How good is it and where can I find it?
Sphynx
TSS is the site to find it on. It basically gives you Karma to build a character.

Sphynx
Abstruse
With BeCKS, you'll end up with more jack-of-all-trade characters and less characters specializing in one thing. In BeCKS, you can get two skills at rating 4 for less than the price of one skill at rating 6. BeCKS is great for a street-level campaign, but it's not as good the more powerful of a game you want to play because of this.

Here's how I rank the character creation systems:

Priority: Best for new players because there's not as much math required to confuse them even more, but once you know the system, it locks you into playing a stereotype too much.

Build Point: Best for high powered games with experienced players because of its flexibility, but the ability to min-max so easily makes it bad for a game where you don't want characters to be too powerful even if you lower the build point requirements.

BeCKS: Best for lower-powered games because of the high costs of maxing out anything and also good as the second creation system to put players on because it translates directly with the character advancement system in the game that the players should be familiar with at least.

The Abstruse One
Hot Wheels
I thought "Becks" was German for beer. rotfl.gif
booklord
I allow players to use any of the three.

What I've noticed is that BECKS tends to be more contact, spell, and skill ( as long as you avoid the real big numbers ) friendly.

One of the true advantages of BECKS is that it allows players to get useful low-level skills on the cheap. For example Biotech(First Aid) 2(4) is exceptionally useful. It's also faily cheap under BECKS. Under the other systems its much more expensive. Another example would be stealth. Few characters can afford to specialize in stealth. But even a few dice(2..4) can be extremely helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012