Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An SR Knowledge Quiz
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ancient History
You get five points for correct answers. Totals at bottom. Deduct one point each time you have to reference a book. Answers in spoiler tags. Most are gimmes, especially for you old people. I managed all of these off my head, alas.

1. What prosthetic has Ehran the Scribe worn in the past?
[ Spoiler ]

2. Name the two canon characters with six fingers on their left hand.
[ Spoiler ]

3. What is Dr. Halberstam's full name?
[ Spoiler ]

4. True or False: you must be an initiate to use metamagic.
[ Spoiler ]

5. True or False: Metacows, Awakened Silverfish and Heath Spirits have all been mentioned, but not given stats.
[ Spoiler ]

6. True or False: There have been exactly two explicit Lovecraft references made in Shadowrun.
[ Spoiler ]

7. What is the cost for a Lone Star Thaumaturgy License?
[ Spoiler ]

8. What items were left out of the Revised Street Samurai Catalog?
[ Spoiler ]

9. Which books contain memorials to Nigel D. Findley?
[ Spoiler ]

10. What booklet accompanied each edition of the SR GM screen?
[ Spoiler ]

11. What is the name of the street samurai associate of Nathaniel Edward Fortescure, Doctor of Thauamturgy?
[ Spoiler ]

12. "Drak's Drek" and Power Armor appeared in what FASA SR publication?
[ Spoiler ]

13. Take the highest initiate grade in an SR module. Subtract the highest spell force in an SR module. Add the highest focus force in an SR module. What number do you have?
[ Spoiler ]

14. What is the last name of the detective in Missing Blood and 2XS?
[ Spoiler ]

15. Who trusts Kibo?
[ Spoiler ]

16. Ambrose made his first, and last, appearence in what book?
[ Spoiler ]

17. True or False: The Midnight Thorns is described in both the first and second Grimoire.
[ Spoiler ]

18. How long fo you have to wait before you can use the "Turn spirit to guacamole" focus?
[ Spoiler ]

19. What novel has been called "Secrets of Power Vol. IV"?
[ Spoiler ]

20. True or False: the series of paintings described by Nigel D. Findley in "House of the Sun" hanging in the Telestrian office actually exist.
[ Spoiler ]

*Bonus* What magazine contains a reference to the Weeping Stoen of Ta'Bel?
[ Spoiler ]

Points Score List:

0-10 Points: Grasshopper

11-30 Points: You need to pad your collection

31-60 Points: What is all this old shit? Where's the Fanpro love!?

61-70 Points: You had to refer to stuff before your time

71-89 Points: Scholar

90-100 Points: Master

105-110 Points: Grand Master

111 Points: Me.

112+ Points:
[ Spoiler ]
Misfit Toy
ohplease.gif at the score list.
Ancient History
You may bitch when you write your own crappy quiz, smart-ass.
TimeKeeper
You forgot an answer to number 8
Because 3 things were removed from the catalog in 2nd ed.

Now how do I use spoilers on this thing...?
John Campbell
You also misspelled Neddy's last name.
Diesel
And made me feel like a tard.
shadd4d
I've seen something similar on the fanpro forums. We did Shadowrun trivia, basically picking out book references, which gets to be more difficult that you think based on the differences between the English and German books. Maybe we could do something like that.

Be warned though, the thread is at about 44 pages, IIRC.

Don
BIG BAD BEESTE
QUOTE (TimeKeeper)
You forgot an answer to number 8
Because 3 things were removed from the catalog in 2nd ed.

Extended clips if I recall correctly. And no, they didn't updat all of the guns to carry them - the HK MP5-TX should have a 30 clip in that case.

I have to admit though, despite my perchant for the Old Stuff some of those questions are really out there in Fan Boy territory.

Now, where's Trivial Pursuit, Sixth World Edition?
Abstruse
70 points for me. What's a Heath spirit? A metaphysical representation of a candy bar?

The Abstruse One
BIG BAD BEESTE
Heath, as in moorland. Quite common in Europe, essentially an upland area cleared of old forest for grazing and since left to grow wild again. classsic example would be Dartmoor, Exmoor and Bodmin Moor.

As for Canon reference - Germany Sourcebook.

proof.gif
RangerJoe
I think my force 6 candy bar spirit friend would like to disagree. May I introduce you to the dreaded, "Mr. Goodbar."
Abstruse
*summons a Force 6 Great Form Wonka Bar* I'd like to use my first service to use your Search power to find a golden ticket...

Sorry, couldn't resist once I'd thought of it nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
TinkerGnome
If there's a shaman of Toaster, there could well be a candybar shaman.

I'd strangle the player who tried to pull that in my game, though. With his own intestines.
Cursedsoul
But that sounds like fun.
TinkerGnome
With his own intestines.
Synner
Nice one Ancient. BTW- You can add a "subquestion" to number two too.

Who's the other canon character who should have six fingers but only has five...
toturi
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
With his own intestines.

What's up with the intestines fetish?
Black Isis
Sweet Jesus. Despite my massive Shadowrun collection, I still ended up with a pathetically low score. Talk about obscure. smile.gif Maybe if I had read some of this stuff over again more recently I'd have done better.
TinkerGnome
Just some Penny Arcade style dry humor wink.gif

A classic. (with dirty words)
Adam
Do we get extra points for knowing the right answers to the question(s) that the spoilers have incorrect answers to? smile.gif
Ancient History
I made a few booboos,s ince I was going from memory, yeah. I didn't think I was being too obscu...okay, maybe Dr. halberstam's name and the two six-fingered ones. The thaumaturgy license was a bit anal. The Power armor was damn obscure. Only GMs should get #13. The bonus was strictly for the compulsive types like me.

[/edit] If you had the right answer to a question that had an incomplete answer, give yourself two bonus points each.

[/edit][/edit] And anyone with more than 111 points because of knowing those answers may proudly bear the title of Adam.

But hey, I got a good cross-sampling of material, eh?
Adam
The answer to 12 is just plain wrong, not obscure. smile.gif
Misfit Toy
111 Points: Me.

There can be no mistakes. For he is beyond the Grand Master of all things Shadowrun.
Ancient History
Okay, I should have said powered armor, and it was Sword of the Knight publications, not FASA. Picky, picky.

[/edit] There are /always/ mistakes. I'm only a room full of monkeys, y'know.
Thanos007
Now, where's Trivial Pursuit, Sixth World Edition?

Well there ya go AH. That project ought to keep you busy for a year or so. smile.gif

Thanos
Nath
I made 4 points, 9 if you consider I only read the French version of SR rulebooks, in which Fortescue's name is translated ; I remembered it but failed in reverse-translating it. The Halberstam reference was the second easiest for me, though I only remembered his first name and had to look in the book to find about the second. I guess it would have been a lot easier for me if there wasn't all these boring questions about magic, immortals and novels. Dunno, stick to interesting things biggrin.gif

1.Which of Ares main divisions changed its Vice-President two times between Corporate Shadowfiles and Corporate Download (thus having a total of three different VP) ?
[ Spoiler ]

2.What was the name of the shipping company Mr. Tadamako Shibanojuki headed and merged with other to start Yamatetsu ?
[ Spoiler ]

3.In 2060, Ares lagged behind in the field of nanotechnology, threatening its chance in the space conquest. Who were the two possible allies considered to recover ?
[ Spoiler ]

4.Since the beginning of SR, three different corps have wanted to acquire Biogene Inc. They were ?
[ Spoiler ]

5.What happened to Darren Villiers between the novel Night's Pawn and the adventure seeds book Blood in the Boardroom ?
[ Spoiler ]

6.Which company did Diderson Kyogi create ?
[ Spoiler ]

7.Who's the only known and named shareholder of Shiawase that isn't a member of the Shiawase family ?
[ Spoiler ]

8.In alphabetical order, which of Sr company (of any size or importance) would come last ?
[ Spoiler ]

9.Does Citibank still exist in SR ?
[ Spoiler ]

10.And an easy one to finish, name the seven founders of the Inter-Corporate Council.
[ Spoiler ]
tisoz
Which books contain memorials to Nigel D. Findley?

Didn't a novel have one, too?
[ Spoiler ]

Nath
QUOTE (tisoz)

[ Spoiler ]

Reread AH's answer. He puts a -s- to books.
Sepherim
After finishing Ancient's questionary I was feeling a bit blue (just plain 31), but since I don't own many first ed books I wasn't that bad. But NMAth, you've depressed me. 0 points (yeah, I knew the seven founders but it's late and I thought the quick way with the 7 AAA corps in 2050s....¬¬). I'm going to bed now, I won't leave it in a couple months...
Nath
QUOTE (Sepherim @ Jul 2 2004, 07:13 AM)
After finishing Ancient's questionary I was feeling a bit blue (just plain 31), but since I don't own many first ed books I wasn't that bad. But NMAth, you've depressed me. 0 points (yeah, I knew the seven founders but it's late and I thought the quick way with the 7 AAA corps in 2050s....¬¬). I'm going to bed now, I won't leave it in a couple months...

Thanks nyahnyah.gif I just needed a revenge after failing so miserably to AH's quiz. I now have proved I mastered even more obscure elements of SR in my particular field devil.gif Mwahahah...
Arethusa
0 on both quizzes. I rock hard.
Siege
Hah. I knew better than to even try.

-Siege
toturi
I got 14 on Nath's quiz but only a miserable 34 on AH's. Most of the answers to Nath's questions has been reprinted or referenced to in SR3 books or available in the novels so they are not as difficult for me as AH's questions. And I do not have a single pre-SR3 book other than the novels.
Nath
QUOTE (toturi)
I got 14 on Nath's quiz but only a miserable 34 on AH's.

Considering AH quiz is on 111 points and mine on 55 points, you scored higher on AH scale with 30% of the points, and 25% on Nath scale.
tisoz
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jul 1 2004, 06:58 PM)

[ Spoiler ]

Reread AH's answer. He puts a -s- to books.

Yes, and he named 2. I was adding what I think is a 3rd. Or does novel not equal book in French?
Nath
QUOTE (tisoz)
Yes, and he named 2. I was adding what I think is a 3rd. Or does novel not equal book in French?

A novel is a book as far as French goes. AH said Aztlan SB and House of the Sun ; you said House of the Sun. You're not adding anything, it still makes two.
tisoz
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jul 2 2004, 06:07 PM)
Yes, and he named 2.  I was adding what I think is a 3rd.  Or does novel not equal book in French?

A novel is a book as far as French goes. AH said Aztlan SB and House of the Sun ; you said House of the Sun. You're not adding anything, it still makes two.

Oops. embarrassed.gif Please forgive my total brain fart.

For some reason, I thought he was citing Aztlan and Paradise lost. Like I said, total brain fart. After checking Paradise Lost, it seems he was still with us at the time of its printing.
Kagetenshi
At 24 points, I'm feeling distinct trivia inferiority.

~J
WinterRat1
I'm surprised no one asked this yet. In AH's quiz, number 18, where the heck is the reference for the "turn spirit to guacamole" focus found?
Kanada Ten
MitS under Unique Foci, which is part of the Enchanting section, I think.
WinterRat1
Ah. Found it. I thought he was saying that somewhere there was an item labeled "Turn Spirit to Guacamole" Focus, and it's availability was TN/127 years. I was like, they have an item with an availability of 127 years?!?!??!?!
Kagetenshi
So how do you use metamagic without initiating?

~J
Dragonslayer
Going without any books on me, I'm gonna say be a horse shaman, gives you access to the Mobility metamagic. I apologize if I'm wrong. If I'm right I'm gonna go ahead and give myself 17 points, because I want 17 points.
Paul
Wow. I spend way too much time reading SR books on the toilet.
Phaeton
I...Could say something both amusing and highly evil in response to that...But I won't. Because I'm nice.

For now. ork.gif
shadd4d
Here's a few gleaned from the Triva Thread at Fanpro:

1.What is Nachtmeister's Alias?
[ Spoiler ]

2. What firm did KE buyout at its beginning?
[ Spoiler ]

3. What is the name of the host where the Aztlan sourcebook is stored?
[ Spoiler ]
shadd4d
4. Who declared Ireland to be Tir Na Nog in a speech?
[ Spoiler ]

5. What is Whisper's profession and ability? 2 part answer
[ Spoiler ]
Dragonslayer
Ok, checked MitS, and no, horse shamans don't get Mobility without initiating. A horse initiate can learn the Mobility critter power as a metamagic technique. So he needs to initiate to get that ability. I can't find any way a character can learn a metamagic technique without initiating.
Ancient History
Cornish Bards. Gotta love 'em.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Cornish Bards. Gotta love 'em.

Are they viable under 3rd edition though?

Without referencing any books I scored 83 (assuming I counted correctly with 5pts for even multiple part questions, and 1pt for each bonus answer)

I DID know Halbertstam and our six-fingered friends without checking, though, and I think I should receive a bonus point for knowing which books to reference to answer ALL questions.

Didn't even try Nath's test though, since the corp info is NOT my forte.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012